Forums > Contests > PotD18+ Discussion Thread

Photographer

Quartzmine Photo

Sacramento, California, US

A thousand apologies. The intent was not to "degrade" but to suggest, using humor,  some minimal standard of good taste be applied.

May 08 14 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

San Francisco, California, US

Post hidden on May 17, 2014 01:43 pm
Reason: inflammatory

May 17 14 11:31 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Blaine Dixon wrote:
Since 18+ images are allowed in this contests I think this is the appropriate place to post this if not I request the mods move it to the appropriate place.

RE:
ALL NEW*** B&W Photo of the Day Contest
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=908560

Yesterday 4 votes (enough to affect the outcome of the contest) were disqualified for early voting. That is before 2 pm. I was one of the four. I did not know about the rule, I should have read the rules yes but I think the rule needs to be changed. It should be moved up to 12 noon. I would prefer to not have any voting time rule other than a cutoff point of 10 pm  It worked fine for years on the original POTD.

I submit that there is a problem when 4 people's votes were disqualified.

You can direct your thoughts to the contest hosts.

(list of Hosts' accounts removed)

"I did not know about the rule, I should have read the rules yes but I think the rule needs to be changed."

Did you read the rules of the contest? By your own admission, NO.

"I submit that there is a problem when 4 people's votes were disqualified."

and I submit that there is a problem when 4 people vote in a contest without knowing the rules.

Step 1 in ANY contest - Read the damn rules!!!!!!!!!

If you don't care for the particular contest, don't participate.

May 17 14 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

My post was not inflammatory.  But your response was As  a long time paying member here I made a reasonable request to consider changing the rules. I have asked this in private before and got a reasonable response. I would like to see many many people joining in and getting involved and not being passive. There is no reason to be so hostile, threatening and demeaning to me.

May 17 14 05:55 pm Link

Model

John Carrasco

Blaine Dixon wrote:
My post was not inflammatory.  But your response was As  a long time paying member here I made a reasonable request to consider changing the rules. I have asked this in private before and got a reasonable response. I would like to see many many people joining in and getting involved and not being passive. There is no reason to be so hostile, threatening and demeaning to me.

Subject: 4 votes disqualified     PRINT

Blaine Dixon
05/16/14 10:59 PM    
fine I wont enter or vote here anymore! 4 votes disqualified  hard enough for me to remember anyway!  sad
You are not permitted to contact this user!
You have blocked this member or they have blocked your azz. Haha.
Flag this PM/Sender    

*U blocked me after your little rant.

May 17 14 10:17 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Blaine Dixon wrote:

As a long-time player you should know rules are meant to be followed.

If you had made a 'reasonable' request it would have been in the form of a PM to the  specific Contest Host... or in a CAM to me.

May 17 14 10:23 pm Link

Model

Williamxzy

sorry wrong account!

May 18 14 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

JoJo wrote:
As a long-time player you should know rules are meant to be followed.

If you had made a 'reasonable' request it would have been in the form of a PM to the  specific Contest Host... or in a CAM to me.

As  a long time player I also thought that the rules were open to examination comment and change with enough input from the members and not an absolute dictatorship. I see by John's attitude in his notice of disqualification that I was wrong.

I took you off my block list john, I see you run most of the contests here I figured you might see I would "never do lunch in this town again" if I blocked you! smile

It' not a joke John I am 71 and my memory can be short term loss many times. If I don't vote when I am thinking about it I find the window to do so has come and gone then the contests hosts complain about  entrants not voting.  Then the contests have different time frames its hard to keep them all straight and Im not the only one I have gotten messages saying that some members were not aware B&W is on Pacific time.

May 18 14 10:38 am Link

Model

John Carrasco

Blaine Dixon wrote:
As  a long time player I also thought that the rules were open to examination comment and change with enough input from the members and not an absolute dictatorship. I see by John's attitude in his notice of disqualification that I was wrong.

I took you off my block list john, I see you run most of the contests here I figured you might see I would "never do lunch in this town again" if I blocked you! smile

It' not a joke John I am 71 and my memory can be short term loss many times. If I don't vote when I am thinking about it I find the window to do so has come and gone then the contests hosts complain about  entrants not voting.  Then the contests have different time frames its hard to keep them all straight and Im not the only one I have gotten messages saying that some members were not aware B&W is on Pacific time.

Thank U for unblocking me sir, I run a few contests & co-host a few others .. U might want to send Dark1 Photography of Black & White a private message to relay your feelings about voting times .. I have to follow rules as well.

John

May 18 14 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

John Carrasco wrote:

Thank U unblocking me sir, I run a few contests & co-host a few others .. U might want to send Dark1 Photography of Black & White a private message to relay your feelings about voting times .. I have to follow rules as well.

John

Mutual forgiveness all the way around? I was in a bad mood got my truck stolen. its hard to find a contest you don't co host John smile you must have a lot of energy to deal with it.

May 18 14 02:26 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Blaine Dixon wrote:

Mutual forgiveness all the way around? I was in a bad mood got my truck stolen. its hard to find a contest you don't co host John smile you must have a lot of energy to deal with it.

All's well that ends well.

May 18 14 10:59 pm Link

Artist/Painter

steve54321

Kendal, England, United Kingdom

Did the rules change regarding repeat images in mens 18+ contest?  23rd/24th May...easy to spot.

May 25 14 01:29 am Link

Photographer

Nelia

May 25 14 01:33 am Link

Photographer

J-PhotoArt

My entry in today's contest needs to be deleted.  It is the same entry as was in yesterday's contest. 

I had used Sendu's search and did not see my image so I thought that I had forgotten to enter it.  I have since found out that Sendu's search is not currently working.

May 25 14 01:34 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

J-PhotoArt wrote:
My entry in today's contest needs to be deleted.  It is the same entry as was in yesterday's contest. 

I had used Sendu's search and did not see my image so I thought that I had forgotten to enter it.  I have since found out that Sendu's search is not currently working.

Sendu's 15-day check is down.

If you want an image removed (that you submitted) please CAM it.

steve54321 wrote:
Did the rules change regarding repeat images in mens 18+ contest?  23rd/24th May...easy to spot.

No - wait for the return of Sendu's 15-day check.

May 25 14 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Lucas Maxwell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

HI-
I am also new to the 18+ POTD. I have entered a pic twice and had it not show up as an entry in the contest. The first time, I thought I did something wrong ( I read the rules prior, but like I said, I am new to this). Now that it has been entered and isn't in the contest, I realize it is being removed. Can you tell me why? I see images that are much more explicit than mine in the contest almost every day. Thanks
18+     https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/35899082

May 26 14 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

Just a guess but I bet it violates the emphasis on genitalia rule. I have had similar images DQ'd.

May 26 14 07:22 pm Link

Artist/Painter

steve54321

Kendal, England, United Kingdom

Hmmmm this is interesting.....I suspect it has been taken down for emphasis etc but there is no rhyme or reason really....your image doesn't really emphasise the genitals and is in no way erotic.  I have been reporting many images lately that seriously ignore MM rules but they remain in place, but that is not a contest discussion...so.....

May 27 14 04:38 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Stanley L Moore wrote:
Just a guess but I bet it violates the emphasis on genitalia rule. I have had similar images DQ'd.

Ding ding!!! - we have a winner here - give that man a cigar wink

May 27 14 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Quartzmine Photo

After he's finished with the cigar, is there an update on SENDU?

May 27 14 12:30 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Quartzmine Photo wrote:
After he's finished with the cigar, is there an update on SENDU?

https://www.sendu.me.uk/modelmayhem/15_day/

still waiting............................

May 27 14 02:08 pm Link

Model

DLatrice

Fort Wayne, Indiana, US

The rules state that a single image cannot be entered within 15 days but when I voted today I saw 2 images by two different people (1 in potd, 1 in 18+ women) that were in the contest yesterday. I know because I view the runner ups from the previous day before I vote on todays.

May 31 14 10:28 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

DLatrice wrote:
The rules state that a single image cannot be entered within 15 days but when I voted today I saw 2 images by two different people (1 in potd, 1 in 18+ women) that were in the contest yesterday. I know because I view the runner ups from the previous day before I vote on todays.

Please go back to the first posting of May 25 in this thread and read forward.

May 31 14 10:44 am Link

Model

DLatrice

Fort Wayne, Indiana, US

Can nobody visually check for repeat images?

Maybe the contest should be temporarily shut down if the rules are not going to be enforced...

May 31 14 10:50 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

DLatrice wrote:
Can nobody visually check for repeat images?

Maybe the contest should be temporarily shut down if the rules are not going to be enforced...

Tell you what... let's keep the contests running - those offended by the 15-day violations don't need to vote for them - those not offended, carry on.

When Sendu comes back up I will deal with the 15-violators that affect the final count in the contests.

Jun 01 14 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

It's a shame that we are all so dependent on Sendu 's great utility. I think most 15 day violations are inadvertent not deliberate. Hope for a quick resolution.

Jun 01 14 03:04 am Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

On another note, I see male photos are putting up strong vote totals in the regular POTD contest. Even winning more often.
How soon until the clamor to segregate the sees begins? wink

Jun 01 14 03:26 am Link

Model

DLatrice

Fort Wayne, Indiana, US

so basically 'when rules are broken, just ignore them and deal with them later when technology will fix it for us'?

I'm not trying to be mean, I just don't like when rules are broken. Why have the rule if they're not going to be enforced when certain elements are uncooperative?

Jun 01 14 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Erin Koski

Ojai, California, US

I don't think it would be fair to shut the whole contest down for those who do play by the rules, just because some can't and it'll take MM longer to catch them.

Jun 01 14 11:10 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Stanley L Moore wrote:
It's a shame that we are all so dependent on Sendu 's great utility. I think most 15 day violations are inadvertent not deliberate. Hope for a quick resolution.

A quick resolution would be good - make my life much easier wink

Jun 01 14 11:21 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Stanley L Moore wrote:
On another note, I see male photos are putting up strong vote totals in the regular POTD contest. Even winning more often.
How soon until the clamor to segregate the sees begins? wink

Split the PotD? - No.

If you watch the contest daily you'll see something of a segmented vote for the winner.
Different segments of MM will make a strong showing and vote for their segment.
Interest will fade, then some other segment will make a showing.

Jun 01 14 11:27 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

DLatrice wrote:
so basically 'when rules are broken, just ignore them and deal with them later when technology will fix it for us'?

I'm not trying to be mean, I just don't like when rules are broken. Why have the rule if they're not going to be enforced when certain elements are uncooperative?

Here's a little test for you...

Take 8000+/- images - start looking at them one by one.
As you go through them pull the ones that are duplicates.

How long is it going to take you to catch each and every duplicate?

Jun 01 14 11:47 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Erin Koski wrote:
I don't think it would be fair to shut the whole contest down for those who do play by the rules, just because some can't and it'll take MM longer to catch them.

and the violations that influence the 'winner' will be dealt with.

Jun 01 14 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

I know the POTD will not be split by gender. I don't think it should be.

I just recall the "old" days of the 18+ contest when there were many complaints about too many male images winning the vote. Sour grapes IMHO. But the split made it easier to win the POTD18+ contest. That has benefited me personally.

Jun 01 14 01:27 pm Link

Model

DLatrice

Fort Wayne, Indiana, US

JoJo wrote:
Here's a little test for you...

Take 8000+/- images - start looking at them one by one.
As you go through them pull the ones that are duplicates.

How long is it going to take you to catch each and every duplicate?

removing even 1 duplicate is better than allowing all of them

Jun 01 14 03:03 pm Link

Model

DLatrice

Fort Wayne, Indiana, US

Erin Koski wrote:

Taking it down temporarily is not meant to be a punishment. It's more like "this is not working properly so we'll take it offline until it is operating as it should." It's like if a roller coaster is broken, they don't let people keep getting on it, right?

Jun 01 14 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

DaeNaturals

DLatrice,
This contest is just for fun.
There are no prizes, no credit toward anything. Just props.
It's not a perfect system and neither are the people.
(Although JoJo comes pretty close)

The people who submit duplicates within 15 days never win anyways and their duplicate entry does not affect the outcome of anyone else winning.
If anything, it helps the rest of the entries, because we are all tired of seeing the same images entered over and over again, (You know who you are) and skip over it to vote for another.
The only thing it does is, makes my eyes roll and me saying, "That image again? Next!" I agree it can be annoying.

However, no one gets hurt, or loses anything, or affects anything (except maybe egos) if some dolt enters the same image multiple times; especially when Sendu is down.

It's not that JoJo is glossing over the rules and those that cannot follow; it's that it is near impossible to spend all day, every day, trying to weed through it all: All for a contest, that's just for fun.

The contests are a privilege and not a right.
I'd rather have the fun contests with their imperfections than none at all.
JoJo does a pretty good job keeping track of all the shinanigans, but she is only human. (I think)

Jun 01 14 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Quartzmine Photo

Looks like SENDU is back up and running. That should help people remember what they posted the last 15 days.

The issue of people repeatedly posting the same pic over montshs or years isld not addresed. I continue to think here should  be an outside limit of 3 on the number of times an image can be posted.

Jun 01 14 11:16 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Quartzmine Photo wrote:
Looks like SENDU is back up and running. That should help people remember what they posted the last 15 days.

and I worked until almost 05:00am this morning 'correcting'

Quartzmine Photo wrote:
The issue of people repeatedly posting the same pic over montshs or years isld not addresed. I continue to think here should  be an outside limit of 3 on the number of times an image can be posted.

... and then they reverse/mirror the image
... and then they desaturate the image
... and then they change the image size
and how do you think I'm going to get MM/IB to write a DB program that will catalogue each and every image
come on, it takes weeks/months to get a spelling mistake in the hard code corrected wink

Jun 02 14 10:53 am Link

Model

DLatrice

Fort Wayne, Indiana, US

I saw an image in the voting of today's potd18+ women and was surprised that it was allowed. Loosely, it is a black and white woman tangled on a bed looking as if they are "dining out". I thought things like this weren't allowd on MM at all

Jun 02 14 03:56 pm Link