Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > irak: cut and run?

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

or 'stay and play'?

Jun 22 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

irak?

Did we miss Iran again?

Jun 22 06 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

qphotonyc wrote:
or 'stay and play'?

The Senate says "no", including most Democrats.

Jun 22 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

It would be foolish to cut and run at this juncture,
Or even to say when we plan to bolt by.
Good or bad we started this....
To walk away would only lead to further destabilization of the region.
And it's a region we need.

God bless the Oil Economy.

Jun 22 06 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

i'm just riffing on the semantics of the debate is all.
'cut and run' has never been proposed by any dem, but every gop pol uses it as if they had. 'stay and play' is its counterpart- a derogatory characterization of the admin's position.
what's no good for the goose is no good for the gander.

Jun 22 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

gotta be able to spell it before you can comment on it!!!!

Jun 22 06 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

qphotonyc wrote:
i'm just riffing on the semantics of the debate is all.
'cut and run' has never been proposed by any dem, but every gop pol uses it as if they had. 'stay and play' is its counterpart- a derogatory characterization of the admin's position.
what's no good for the goose is no good for the gander.

What is, is. We did it in Viet Nam and some worry that we will do it again in Iraq.

Jun 22 06 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Lens N Light wrote:

What is, is. We did it in Viet Nam and some worry that we will do it again in Iraq.

We also did it in Lebanon and Somalia.  That's all I can think of.   smile

Jun 22 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

Lens N Light wrote:

The difference being Viet Nam was not in an economically vital region to the US economy,
Yeah we worried about all those communist dominos falling,
But in 1975 south East Asia could sink into the ocean and economically it made no difference to the US.

There are those who will argue that if the Middle East falls into chaos due to our early departure it will have a significant effect on oil production and prices.
I tend to agree.
We won't cut and run because of it.

Jun 22 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

damn right it's about oil!!!   oooops, wrong thread smile hahahaha  rotflmao smile hi Vivus!!  *SM waves frantically to get Vivus' attention**** smile

Jun 22 06 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Chris Macan wrote:

The difference being Viet Nam was not in an economically vital region to the US economy,
But in 1975 south East Asia could sink into the ocean and economically it made no difference to the US.

There are those who will argue that if the Middle East falls into chaos due to our early departure it will have a significant effect on oil production and prices.
I tend to agree.

So why did John Kerry introduce a resolution in the senate to accomplish just that very thing? (It was defeated.)

Jun 22 06 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

StudioMona wrote:
damn right it's about oil!!!   oooops, wrong thread smile hahahaha  rotflmao smile hi Vivus!!  *SM waves frantically to get Vivus' attention**** smile

Hi, Mona!  Wear your helmet!   smile

Jun 22 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

Vivus Denuo wrote:

Hi, Mona!  Wear your helmet!   smile

while I give my valedictory speech ??? damn right I will smile LOL

Jun 22 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

qphotonyc wrote:
or 'stay and play'?

dunno about the rest of yah, but I be stayin' and I am gonna be playin'  wink

woop wooop wooop smile

edit: what are we playing first? wink

Jun 22 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

What's wrong w/ getting the hell outta Dodge when its clear your strategy isn't working?

Worked for General MacArthur against the Japanese & look where it got him in the end.

Jun 22 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

Lens N Light wrote:

So why did John Kerry introduce a resolution in the senate to accomplish just that very thing? (It was defeated.)

For political points.
It had little chance of going any where.

Jun 22 06 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

Lens N Light wrote:

the tally was 60-39, only 11 votes shy of winning. not too shabby for the 1st round. let's see what happens in the next congress: 'stay and play' or 'cut and run'.
btw, here's a related piece on how out of touch certain pols are with the public on iraq:

Polls, Pundits and Pols
You'd never know it from some of the reporting and bloviating on the debate over an Iraq withdrawal, but all major polls show that the public favors withdrawals, with strong support for a timeline or total pullout within a year.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp … 1002726568

Jun 22 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

StudioMona wrote:

dunno about the rest of yah, but I be stayin' and I am gonna be playin'  wink

woop wooop wooop smile

edit: what are we playing first? wink

'kill or be killed'

Jun 22 06 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Chris Macan wrote:
It would be foolish to cut and run at this juncture,
Or even to say when we plan to bolt by.
Good or bad we started this....
To walk away would only lead to further destabilization of the region.
And it's a region we need.

God bless the Oil Economy.

Sady, I agree with this.  It also frustrates me that we've been placed in the position.  It would appear Bush didn't learn a great deal of history (his major at Yale) while in college.  If the parallel between Iraq and Vietnam aren't clear, then I truly don't have much faith in our current president to really understand much about the world around him.  That said, I believe it's too late to cut-and-run or to set a time table.  It's also sad to know that by the time we do leave, another X number of Americans and Iraqi will be dead.  /tim

"If people want to get to know me better, they've got to know my parents and the values my parents instilled in me, and the fact that I was raised in West Texas, in the middle of the desert, a long way away from anywhere, hardly. There's a certain set of values you learn in that experience." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 5, 2006

Jun 23 06 12:51 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Chris Macan wrote:

I tend to agree.

Of course, it could also be argued that despite the resumption of oil from Iraq, the price of oil has not decreased, it has increased.  True, the supply is constantly interrupted, but one would have expected some sort of downward bump when the supply was semi-restored.  It hasnt' occurred.  If so, then I'm not sure how eliminating Iraq's oil supply in the future because of choas would cause prices to increase.  /tim

Jun 23 06 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

Tim Baker wrote:

Of course, it could also be argued that despite the resumption of oil from Iraq, the price of oil has not decreased, it has increased.  True, the supply is constantly interrupted, but one would have expected some sort of downward bump when the supply was semi-restored.  It hasnt' occurred.  If so, then I'm not sure how eliminating Iraq's oil supply in the future because of choas would cause prices to increase.  /tim

The un-certinty in the region ensures that the futures market will not allow the price to decrease until it feels reasonably sure that the oil will still be flowing in 6 months or a year in the future. As long as we discuss leaving the area to chaos the prices will remain high even if the supply remains constant.

Jun 23 06 08:05 am Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

looks like it's gonna be 'cut n run' after all...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, … 88,00.html

Peace deal offers Iraq insurgents an amnesty
From Ned Parker in Baghdad and Tom Baldwin

THE Iraqi Government will announce a sweeping peace plan as early as Sunday in a last-ditch effort to end the Sunni insurgency that has taken the country to the brink of civil war.

The 28-point package for national reconciliation will offer Iraqi resistance groups inclusion in the political process and an amnesty for their prisoners if they renounce violence and lay down their arms, The Times can reveal....

But one big potential obstacle is whether the US would be willing to grant an amnesty to insurgents who have killed US soldiers but who are not members of extreme groups such as al-Qaeda. The Bush Administration is thought to be split on the issue.

“This is very hard for us, particularly at a time when American servicemen are facing prosecution for alleged war crimes — and others are being captured and tortured,” a senior US official said.

With 2,500 US soldiers having died in Iraq, to grant an amnesty would be a “huge political football” before the November mid-term elections in the US, he said. But he added: “This is what we did after the Second World War, after the Civil War, after the War of Independence. It may be unpalatable and unsavoury but it is how wars end.” ...

“We must agree on a timed schedule to pull out the troops from Iraq, while at the same time building up the Iraqi forces that will guarantee Iraqi security and this must be supported by a United Nations Security Council decision,” the document reads.

One insurgent group involved in the discussions told The Times that the timetable for withdrawing foreign troops was key. “We are not against the formation of the new Iraqi goverment, but with certain conditions, which are to put a timetable for the pullout of US Troops," Abu Fatma, from the Islamic National Front for Liberation of Iraq, said.

Jun 23 06 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Tim Baker wrote:
Sady, I agree with this.  It also frustrates me that we've been placed in the position.  It would appear Bush didn't learn a great deal of history (his major at Yale) while in college.  If the parallel between Iraq and Vietnam aren't clear, then I truly don't have much faith in our current president to really understand much about the world around him.  That said, I believe it's too late to cut-and-run or to set a time table.  It's also sad to know that by the time we do leave, another X number of Americans and Iraqi will be dead.  /tim

First rule of history is to acknowledge one has made a mistake.

W & his cadre refuse to admit mistakes cause they view it as a sign of weakness. Tenet gets the medal of freedom. Wolfowitz gets nominated to become the World Bank President. Condi gets promoted to the State Department. Rummy not only gets his resignation denied twice, no less, but gets to keep is job but also gets a big pat on the bank.

IMHO, it takes a stronger man to admit ones mistakes than futilely stay w/ the status quo.

Jun 23 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

qphotonyc wrote:
looks like it's gonna be 'cut n run' after all...

Peace deal offers Iraq insurgents an amnesty
From Ned Parker in Baghdad and Tom Baldwin

They've been flirting w/ this off & on for the last 2 years. I'll believe it when I see it happen.

Jun 23 06 08:42 am Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

the context is telling: the insurgency continues because of us military occupation, not despite it as bush would have us believe.

The draft marks the first time the Iraqi Government has endorsed a fixed timeline for the withdrawal of coalition forces from Iraq, a key demand of the Sunni insurgency.

“We must agree on a timed schedule to pull out the troops from Iraq, while at the same time building up the Iraqi forces that will guarantee Iraqi security and this must be supported by a United Nations Security Council decision,” the document reads.

One insurgent group involved in the discussions told The Times that the timetable for withdrawing foreign troops was key. “We are not against the formation of the new Iraqi goverment, but with certain conditions, which are to put a timetable for the pullout of US Troops," Abu Fatma, from the Islamic National Front for Liberation of Iraq, said.

Jun 23 06 11:13 am Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

The deal, which has been seen by The Times, aims to divide Iraqi insurgents from foreign fighters linked to al-Qaeda. It builds on months of secret talks involving Jalal al-Talabani, the Iraqi President, Zalmay Khalilzad, the US Ambassador, and seven Sunni insurgent groups.

Mr al-Talabani told The Times that after a “summit” in Baghdad about a month ago the groups made clear their willingness to commence talks with the Iraqi Government, although he was awaiting a formal response.

But one big potential obstacle is whether the US would be willing to grant an amnesty to insurgents who have killed US soldiers but who are not members of extreme groups such as al-Qaeda. The Bush Administration is thought to be split on the issue.

“This is very hard for us, particularly at a time when American servicemen are facing prosecution for alleged war crimes — and others are being captured and tortured,” a senior US official said.

With 2,500 US soldiers having died in Iraq, to grant an amnesty would be a “huge political football” before the November mid-term elections in the US, he said. But he added: “This is what we did after the Second World War, after the Civil War, after the War of Independence. It may be unpalatable and unsavoury but it is how wars end.”

The Government intends to form a committee to distinguish between groups that can be considered legitimate resistance and those that are beyond the pale. “For those that defended their country against foreign troops, we need to open a new page . . . They did not mean to destabilise Iraq. They were defending Iraqi soil,” said Adnan Ali, a senior member of the Dawa party of Nouri alMaliki, the Prime Minister.

Reading directly from the draft package, Mahmoud al-Mashaadani, the Parliament’s Sunni Speaker, told The Times: “There will be a general amnesty to release all the prisoners who were not involved in the shedding of innocent Iraqis’ blood.” Neither the Iraqi Government nor the US Embassy would name the insurgent groups involved in the discussions.

But Mr Talabani said that after the last meeting the groups went away to agree their position. He had since received “a message from a common friend that they are ready to discuss finalising an agreement with the United States and the Iraqi Government”.

Mr Khalilzad recently told The Times that reconciliation required “a comprehensive strategy that has political elements, that has security elements, and that has reintegration elements in it: decommissioning, demobilisation, and reintegration of these forces.”

Every cloud has a silver lining. smile

Jun 23 06 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

I don't understand or agree with this philosophy of "We started it, we have to stick with it," or "Good or bad, we must stay the course."  So, we have to stay there until the Sunnis and Shiites make peace?  How many more centuries will that take?  No!  We toppled Saddam and ousted his government.  Mission accomplished.  Let's go to Darfur or the Congo where we can do some freakin' good!

Jun 23 06 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

qphotonyc wrote:

the tally was 60-39, only 11 votes shy of winning. not too shabby for the 1st round.

Actually it was the third round the first one only got 6 votes, the second 13 and finally cut and ran on third defeat in one day!!
True if they wait long enough it will be over.
BTW we have been in Germany of over 60 years, Korea for over 50 years and the post war headlines in the NYT were the same we won the war but were losing the peace. Casualties in Germany after the war were 3 times higher than in Iraq including the war and post war.
bob

Jun 23 06 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

Vivus Denuo wrote:
I don't understand or agree with this philosophy of "We started it, we have to stick with it," or "Good or bad, we must stay the course."  So, we have to stay there until the Sunnis and Shiites make peace?  How many more centuries will that take?  No!  We toppled Saddam and ousted his government.  Mission accomplished.  Let's go to Darfur or the Congo where we can do some freakin' good!

I suspect your logic would result in $9/Gallon gas.
Not the result we were hoping for when we hit Saddam.

The we started lets stick with it theory applies to stabalizing the country and setting up a functioning government. We don't have to stay till every one loves each other just till a system of law is in place to reduce the frequency of killings and keep the peace.

If the mission had been simply to remove Saddam there were simpler cheaper ways to accomplish that.

Jun 23 06 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

Robert Helm wrote:
Actually it was the third round the first one only got 6 votes, the second 13 and finally cut and ran on third defeat in one day!!

it only demonstrates that stay and play is in its last throes, to borrow a phrase from cheney. the iraqi insurgents have made a u.s.troop withdrawl timetable the prereq to ending the violence, our amb is working on a deal that includes one, and most americans support it. shows how out of touch one-party rule has left d.c.
only the gop congress and bush admin favor open ended commitment.

"Do you think the U.S. should or should not set a timetable for when troops will be withdrawn from Iraq?"

6/14-19/06

Should            52%

Should Not      42%

"Which comes closer to your view about U.S. troops in Iraq? The U.S. should set a timetable for withdrawal by announcing that it will remove all of its troops from Iraq by a certain date. The U.S. should keep troops in Iraq as long as necessary without setting any timetable for withdrawal."

6/14-15/06

Timetable       53%

No Timetable    41%

Pew Research Center for the People & the Press survey conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates International.  June 14-19, 2006. N=1,501 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3

http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

Jun 23 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

Vivus Denuo wrote:
Mission accomplished.  Let's go to Darfur or the Congo where we can do some freakin' good!

on to miami!

Jun 23 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

qphotonyc wrote:

the tally was 60-39, only 11 votes shy of winning. not too shabby for the 1st round. let's see what happens in the next congress: 'stay and play' or 'cut and run'.
btw, here's a related piece on how out of touch certain pols are with the public on iraq:

Polls, Pundits and Pols
You'd never know it from some of the reporting and bloviating on the debate over an Iraq withdrawal, but all major polls show that the public favors withdrawals, with strong support for a timeline or total pullout within a year.

No, Kerry's entry was defeated 86-13. It was a later introduced resolution that was defeated 60-39. It proposed a phased withdrawal to begine late this year.

Jun 23 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

should be an interesting election this november smile

Jun 23 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Lens N Light wrote:
No, Kerry's entry was defeated 86-13. It was a later introduced resolution that was defeated 60-39. It proposed a phased withdrawal to begine late this year.

I believe it was a "redeployment"...bringing certain units home or shifting them over the ONLY nation-state to attack us (Afghanistan).

Jun 23 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Chris Macan wrote:

I suspect your logic would result in $9/Gallon gas.
Not the result we were hoping for when we hit Saddam.

The we started lets stick with it theory applies to stabalizing the country and setting up a functioning government. We don't have to stay till every one loves each other just till a system of law is in place to reduce the frequency of killings and keep the peace.

If the mission had been simply to remove Saddam there were simpler cheaper ways to accomplish that.

As for the result we were hoping for, that had to do with getting weapons of mass destruction out of Saddam Hussein's hands, wasn't it?  That's what we were told again and again.  Nothing about the price of gas.

I'm glad you agree we don't have to stay until everyone loves everyone else!

Jun 23 06 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

qphotonyc wrote:

on to miami!

LOL!

Jun 23 06 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyStavros

Bainbridge Island, Washington, US

https://www.bartcop.com/mission-accomplished.jpg
Summary of casualties of the 2003 invasion of Iraq edit

Possible estimates on the total number of people killed in the invasion and occupation of Iraq vary widely. All estimates below are as of 11 June 2006, and include both the 2003 invasion of Iraq and the following Post-invasion Iraq, 2003-2006.
Iraqi Deaths     30,000-100,000 mostly civilians (The lower figure was given by G. W. Bush in a public speech on December 12, 2005[2]; the higher one comes from the September 2004 Lancet study). Lancet study.
U.S. armed forces     2,500 total deaths, 18,356 combat wounded (8,436 evacuated), plus an unknown number of non-combat injuries.     [3], [4]
Armed forces of other coalition countries     227 (113 British, 32 Italian, 18 Ukrainian, 17 Polish, 13 Bulgarian, 11 Spanish, 4 Danes, 3 Slovaks, 2 Australians, 2 Dutch, 2 Estonians, 2 Romanians, 2 Thai, 1 Salvadoran, 1 Fijian, 1 Hungarian, 1 Kazakh, 1 Latvian.)     [5], [6]
Non-Iraqi civilians     See Multinational_force_in_Iraq for civilian, journalist and contractor deaths for countries involved in the coalition. Here is an incomplete list of non-Coalition civilian casualties:

Colombia: 1; Croatia: 2; Egypt: 5; Finland: 2; France: 3; Guam: 1; Germany: 1; India: 2; Indonesia: 4; Jordan: 5; Macedonia: 3; Nepal: 19; Sweden: 1; Pakistan: 6; Russia: 4 (in addition to a diplomat killed in June 2006); South Africa: 18; Turkey: 34

In total, at least 568 non-Iraqi individuals have been killed since the 2003 invasion (311 contractors, 87 journalists, 20 media support workers, and 150 aid workers).

Jun 23 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

stavrophotography wrote:
https://www.bartcop.com/mission-accomplished.jpg
Summary of casualties of the 2003 invasion of Iraq edit

Possible estimates on the total number of people killed in the invasion and occupation of Iraq vary widely. All estimates below are as of 11 June 2006, and include both the 2003 invasion of Iraq and the following Post-invasion Iraq, 2003-2006.
Iraqi Deaths     30,000-100,000 mostly civilians (The lower figure was given by G. W. Bush in a public speech on December 12, 2005[2]; the higher one comes from the September 2004 Lancet study). Lancet study.
U.S. armed forces     2,500 total deaths, 18,356 combat wounded (8,436 evacuated), plus an unknown number of non-combat injuries.     [3], [4]
Armed forces of other coalition countries     227 (113 British, 32 Italian, 18 Ukrainian, 17 Polish, 13 Bulgarian, 11 Spanish, 4 Danes, 3 Slovaks, 2 Australians, 2 Dutch, 2 Estonians, 2 Romanians, 2 Thai, 1 Salvadoran, 1 Fijian, 1 Hungarian, 1 Kazakh, 1 Latvian.)     [5], [6]
Non-Iraqi civilians     See Multinational_force_in_Iraq for civilian, journalist and contractor deaths for countries involved in the coalition. Here is an incomplete list of non-Coalition civilian casualties:

Colombia: 1; Croatia: 2; Egypt: 5; Finland: 2; France: 3; Guam: 1; Germany: 1; India: 2; Indonesia: 4; Jordan: 5; Macedonia: 3; Nepal: 19; Sweden: 1; Pakistan: 6; Russia: 4 (in addition to a diplomat killed in June 2006); South Africa: 18; Turkey: 34

In total, at least 568 non-Iraqi individuals have been killed since the 2003 invasion (311 contractors, 87 journalists, 20 media support workers, and 150 aid workers).

30,000 dead Iraqis?  It's OK, we're bringing them freedom.

Jun 23 06 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

As Powell said to Bush 43 before we went in " if we break it we have to fix it" he is right and we broke it good or should I say This lovely administration broke it!

Jun 23 06 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Vivus Denuo wrote:
30,000 dead Iraqis?  It's OK, we're bringing them freedom.

Button up your overcoat,
When the WMDs are free,
Take good care of yourself,
You belong to me!
Shuffle off this mortal coil
Get shot at twice by three,
Oh, take good care of yourself,
You belong to me!
Be careful crossing streets,
When you're on a spree,
Wear your safety underwear
When you hide behind a tree,