Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > License for make up artist

Makeup Artist

Perris Cartwright

Fredericksburg, Virginia, US

While I was in MUA schooling, since entertainment MUA's generally don't need a license, they drilled sanitation and proper handling of skin into us for 2 days solid in a relatively short course.

If you attend a proper makeup course taught by agency artists or industry pros and vets, the first things they tell you are to ALWAYS confirm with the client of ANY skin issues. In the courts, having verbally confirmed an allergy or not makes a big difference when something happens and you're being sued. So always verbally ask the client before you even touch them what their allergies are if any. Latex and silicon are BIG ones. If that client says no to a latex allergy, and they are lying, you can not be held at fault in court. What's an even bigger double whammy for people who sue their stylists and artists is if you not only verbally confirm, but written consent in a release form or contractual agreement stating you are using products known to contain those materials and that the client is agreeing for these products to come into contact with their skin. Jokes on them. Not only have they wasted BOTH of your time, the damages they were seeking are now reversed in your favor.

Always be safe, always be repetitive, and if you insist on being a MUA, just fork up the money like the rest of us for proper training and education. I promise you can tell who is school trained and who isn't (hint: it's not by the quality of work either).

Sep 05 13 10:42 am Link

Model

LaylaBeth

Pendleton, Oregon, US

I am fully licensed by the state of OR in all facets of cosmetology, however I am not licensed in Texas, where I currently live.  I have been asked by some of the directors I work with to assist with hair and makeup for different films and photoshoots.  I'd like to know the legalities on this, myself, so I can perhaps add this service to my resume.

Mar 04 14 08:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Janet Harris

Allen, Texas, US

Hey Laylabeth ... Texas is a right to work state which pretty much means that the only time you would need a license is if you were working in salon  ... cutting and coloring hair or doing nails, lash extensions or eye brows.  Doing makeup/hair on photo shoots or Tv/Film/Video is actually exempt ... luckily for us !

Hope this helps !

Mar 06 14 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

DigitalSkillet

Los Angeles, California, US

Does anyone know the state law in Oklahoma?  I've heard different things and that they are very stick. Do you need a license to do makeup for a photo shoot?

Jul 16 14 04:38 am Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

One of the reasons salons require license is enforceability . Mostly for tax purposes. Cosmetologist have pay annual or biannual renewal fee. This is one way for the state to track your earnings. For the simple reason of having a license, they can track your bank account, such as mortgage interest paid, because that's being reported to the "state", also the payments paid to you as 1099's or w2's. Brick and mortars salons the government can find and harass, fine Penalize, and tax to death. Did you know in LA county, they have guy that goes to every business and assess a personal property tax on all equipment used in the business including chairs, tables, computers and phones. Every year. Including leasehold improvements... 
I bet you had no idea how tough it was to run a business. I bet not too many people know  all the state gets a surcharge for every insurance policy sold? Especially things they find a way of mandating... Nice racket they got

Jul 27 14 06:00 pm Link