Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > Pantyhose and "Slips."

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Do people even wear slips anymore?

As a teenager, if I wanted to wear a dress, my mom always made me wear pantyhose and a slip underneath it.

I never got what the slip was for, except to make me sweat, and not like wearing dresses.

Were slips outdated by the 80s and 90s? Do people even still wear them? Am I the only younger woman who recalls having to wear a slip?

Sep 03 10 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I totally need one!  I have all these summer dresses that for some reason are suction-cupped to my underwear.  It's like vacuum ass back there.  They're definitely still relevant.  lol

Sep 03 10 07:13 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

I wear pantyhose anytime I wear a skirt shorter than my ankles out of the house, unless it's to a fetish event (usually, sometimes I still do).

I only wear slips if it's a skirt that you can see through, like a white skirt, or a thin fabric skirt.

Sep 03 10 07:13 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Sita Mae wrote:
I totally need one!  I have all these summer dresses that for some reason are suction-cupped to my underwear.  It's like vacuum ass back there.  They're definitely still relevant.  lol

I get the thing where, you've been sitting or whatever, you stand up and realize your dress is up in your ass-crack.

I'm all paranoid about checking it to make sure I don't walk through a crowded lobby or something with fabric all stuck up in my butt and people laughing and pointing.

Sep 03 10 07:17 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Elizabeth Claret wrote:
I wear pantyhose anytime I wear a skirt shorter than my ankles out of the house, unless it's to a fetish event (usually, sometimes I still do).

I only wear slips if it's a skirt that you can see through, like a white skirt, or a thin fabric skirt.

I am just surprised people wear them at all anymore.

You never see advertisements for slips. Maybe I just don't notice them.

I thought the concept of the slip had probably been replaced by Spanx.

Sep 03 10 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

both should be abolished

Sep 03 10 07:24 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

I have slips.....I used to wear them when I worked in the corporate world and when I sold cars if I had a skirt/dress on that was sort of see-through.  Now I pretty much say "screw it".  If someone wants to look through my clothes, why should I make it harder on them?

And pantyhose?  Haven't worn those since Ally McBeal started the bare leg trend.....except in fetish shoots.

Sep 03 10 07:29 pm Link

Model

Mischief Vixen

Toledo, Ohio, US

I love slips, but only if they're worn without the dress.

Sep 03 10 07:30 pm Link

Model

DVModeling

Detroit, Michigan, US

Pantyhose, yes.

Slips, nope.

Sep 03 10 07:31 pm Link

Model

Koryn

MO Rina wrote:
I have slips.....I used to wear them when I worked in the corporate world and when I sold cars if I had a skirt/dress on that was sort of see-through.  Now I pretty much say "screw it".  If someone wants to look through my clothes, why should I make it harder on them?

And pantyhose?  Haven't worn those since Ally McBeal started the bare leg trend.....except in fetish shoots.

Since I've been out of my parents' house, I haven't worn either slips or pantyhose for regular wear. I've done some pantyhose fetish shoots, but other than that, I have no use for undergarments in general.

I worked a couple office jobs, where I wore pant-suits to work. Those are actually pretty comfortable.

Sep 03 10 07:32 pm Link

Model

Livane

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

I wear tights when i have to show my legs as i get paranoid about them, or  if I'm working in hospitality * they disapprove of combat trews and reinforced boots *

I have slips of varying size and colour for formal things if i have anything less that opaque on...

I'm boring like that.

Sep 03 10 07:37 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Livane wrote:
I wear tights when i have to show my legs as i get paranoid about them, or  if I'm working in hospitality * they disapprove of combat trews and reinforced boots *

I have slips of varying size and colour for formal things if i have anything less that opaque on...

I'm boring like that.

I like opaque tights.

Sep 03 10 07:38 pm Link

Model

Livane

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

ShivaKitty wrote:

I like opaque tights.

I have neon coloured ones, turquoise being my fave heh

Not to mention the rainbow ones, sis nicked and tore them though

Sep 03 10 07:50 pm Link

Model

K Allende

Columbus, Ohio, US

Mischief Vixen wrote:
I love slips, but only if they're worn without the dress.

Yep. smile

Sep 03 10 07:52 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ShivaKitty wrote:
Do people even wear slips anymore?

As a teenager, if I wanted to wear a dress, my mom always made me wear pantyhose and a slip underneath it.

I never got what the slip was for, except to make me sweat, and not like wearing dresses.

Were slips outdated by the 80s and 90s? Do people even still wear them? Am I the only younger woman who recalls having to wear a slip?

I remember, and share your hatred of them. My mom made me wear them because for whatever stupid reason when I was growing up, all the pretty easter dresses were fucking next to transparent.

Sep 04 10 12:04 am Link

Model

-Titania-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I wear both.

I am a firm, FIRM believer in the proper undergarments to flatter your figure. I see ads for the 'OMG reduce bra bulge!!", and I think, "well, why didn't you buy a bra that fit right so that you wouldn't have that problem in the first place?"

Pantyhose are like makeup for your legs.  I personally love the way they feel and look, and since they're part panty, you have no panty lines since you don't have to wear underpants with them.

Slips do exactly that, they make your dress slip so it doesn't cling to you and moves nicely.

Maybe I'm just that retro.

Sep 04 10 12:32 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

I had to wear both.
I grew a strong hatred for both.

Girls I knew would wear their slips to play "wedding"

I was always like this: roll

Sep 04 10 12:32 am Link

Model

YvonneEmilie

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ahhhhhh. Slips.  Man, that brings me back.  Now I've got all my pretty early 90s Easter dresses flashing through my head.

Yeah, I think I had to wear them.  But I don't really find the need to wear them any more.

Tights on the other hand, are awesome. I hate the way they feel but I love the look that they give. Especially opaque tights. I actually never wear sheer tights unless its for a shoot.

Sep 04 10 12:47 am Link

Model

Not active any moooreee

Reading, England, United Kingdom

Never worn a slip, but I love tights. They're great for wanting to wear a skirt, when you can't be arsed to shave your legs. big_smile (Only opaque though... Can't imagine sheer tights and hairy legs would work...)

Sep 04 10 04:35 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

-Titania- wrote:
I wear both.

I am a firm, FIRM believer in the proper undergarments to flatter your figure. I see ads for the 'OMG reduce bra bulge!!", and I think, "well, why didn't you buy a bra that fit right so that you wouldn't have that problem in the first place?"

Pantyhose are like makeup for your legs.  I personally love the way they feel and look, and since they're part panty, you have no panty lines since you don't have to wear underpants with them.

Slips do exactly that, they make your dress slip so it doesn't cling to you and moves nicely.

But if you don't wear the pantyhose to begin with, you don't need the slip! 

When I lived in Michigan, I wore pantyhose or tights in the cold months, but those don't happen here in Miami Beach.  You don't see pantyhose here on anyone except old ladies who wear support hose to cover up their varicose veins.  And the thing we use as makeup for our legs is called a "tan"!!!

Sep 04 10 04:43 am Link

Model

Ashley Graham

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

-Titania- wrote:
I wear both.

No worries Titania. I personally like pantyhose and slips. I don't wear them much because I'm more of a jeans and tshirt kind of girl, but I own them

Sep 04 10 05:22 am Link

Photographer

ASYLUM - Art Nudes

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Stockings and garter belt go with a skirt, that's about it.

Sep 04 10 05:28 am Link

Model

-Titania-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

MO Rina wrote:

But if you don't wear the pantyhose to begin with, you don't need the slip! 

When I lived in Michigan, I wore pantyhose or tights in the cold months, but those don't happen here in Miami Beach.  You don't see pantyhose here on anyone except old ladies who wear support hose to cover up their varicose veins.  And the thing we use as makeup for our legs is called a "tan"!!!

A dress will still cling to you, stick to your legs or your butt, from sitting down even if you're not wearing pantyhose. A slip is your lining between you and your dress, keeping the dress from becoming unsightly on your ass.

I'm not saying I wear a slip with everything, just when it's appropriate and necessary for the dress I'm wearing.

I prefer stockings and garters over pantyhose, but sometimes it's just easier to get away with hose. As I said, I'm pretty damn retro though. Try some nude fishnets, your legs will look FAB.

Sep 04 10 05:33 am Link

Model

-Titania-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Ashley Graham wrote:

No worries Titania. I personally like pantyhose and slips. I don't wear them much because I'm more of a jeans and tshirt kind of girl, but I own them

Thank god, I was starting to worry that people were going to thing I'm odd lol

Sep 04 10 05:34 am Link

Photographer

ASYLUM - Art Nudes

Washington, District of Columbia, US

-Titania- wrote:

A dress will still cling to you, stick to your legs or your butt, from sitting down even if you're not wearing pantyhose. A slip is your lining between you and your dress, keeping the dress from becoming unsightly on your ass.

I'm not saying I wear a slip with everything, just when it's appropriate and necessary for the dress I'm wearing.

I prefer stockings and garters over pantyhose, but sometimes it's just easier to get away with hose. As I said, I'm pretty damn retro though. Try some nude fishnets, your legs will look FAB.

I have a solution!

It's revolutionary!!!!!

Wear assless skirts and dresses!

borat

Sep 04 10 05:34 am Link

Model

-Titania-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

ASYLUM - Art Nudes wrote:

I have a solution!

It's revolutionary!!!!!

Wear assless skirts and dresses!

borat

Or just go naked.  I'd prefer that.

Sep 04 10 05:51 am Link

Model

Ashley Graham

-Titania- wrote:

Thank god, I was starting to worry that people were going to thing I'm odd lol

Nope, I know quite a few pin up models and fetish models who love panty hose, slips, stockings, fishnets, and garters. We may be the minority but we're not that odd

Sep 04 10 05:53 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Ashley Graham wrote:

Nope, I know quite a few pin up models and fetish models who love panty hose, slips, stockings, fishnets, and garters. We may be the minority but we're not that odd

*raises hand*

They may not look as good on me, but...

Don't be hatin'.

Sep 04 10 05:56 am Link

Photographer

Time to Shoot

Arlington, Virginia, US

-Titania- wrote:
I wear both.

+1
And I think it is flattering, feminine, classy and damned sexy.

Sep 04 10 06:12 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I think I know what I'll be shooting Titania in the next time I see her!  wink

Sep 04 10 06:15 am Link

Model

-Titania-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Sita Mae wrote:
I think I know what I'll be shooting Titania in the next time I see her!  wink

Old fashioned granny shit, right? tongue

I've talked about sewing reproduction undiethings. I think it would be fun.

Sep 04 10 06:45 am Link

Model

-Titania-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

OR! Sitasita!

Shoot me with theeeeeese!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=626745

https://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_430xN.171118968.jpg

Sep 04 10 06:49 am Link

Model

Ashley Graham

-Titania- wrote:
OR! Sitasita!

Shoot me with theeeeeese!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=626745

https://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_430xN.171118968.jpg

Those are adorabllleee!!! You're so talented

Sep 04 10 06:50 am Link

Model

-Titania-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Ashley Graham wrote:

Those are adorabllleee!!! You're so talented

Oh thank you! I hope some of them sell.

Sep 04 10 07:13 am Link

Model

Koryn

-Titania- wrote:

Nah. You probably know best. I kind of suck at being a girl.

Sep 04 10 07:33 am Link

Model

Koryn

MO Rina wrote:
You don't see pantyhose here on anyone except old ladies who wear support hose to cover up their varicose veins.

Maybe I should buy support hose to cover up where the veins poke out on my calves. A photographer complained about it one time a couple years ago. I think that's just from having really muscular legs, but I'm not sure. They don't look like broken veins or anything. They didn't use to be that way. I have really veiny hands and forearms now too. People who talk about Sarah Jessica Parker's hands would shit themselves if they saw mine.  lol

Sep 04 10 07:36 am Link

Model

-Titania-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

ShivaKitty wrote:

Nah. You probably know best. I kind of suck at being a girl.

I have been accused of being a girl on a few occasions. tongue

I'm a seamstress and a costume designer, as well as a WW2 enthusiast.  I often hear women pondering out loud how the women of the 40's and 50's looked so damn good in their dresses, and I tell them that it wasn't the dress, it was the undergarments.

Sep 04 10 08:24 am Link

Model

Koryn

-Titania- wrote:
I have been accused of being a girl on a few occasions. tongue

I'm a seamstress and a costume designer, as well as a WW2 enthusiast.  I often hear women pondering out loud how the women of the 40's and 50's looked so damn good in their dresses, and I tell them that it wasn't the dress, it was the undergarments.

My grandmother wore girdles, and my great-grandmother wore whale-bone corsets.

It also probably helped that women back then tailored their clothing to fit their individual bodies. Today, we don't always have the luxury of time or skills needed to alter our clothes, or the money to take them to a person who will alter them for us, so we just buy some generically-sized dress or outfit and wear it. A lot of times, the seams don't really fit, or the outfit or dress is designed for someone with a different body-shape.

Sep 04 10 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

ShivaKitty wrote:

Maybe I should buy support hose to cover up where the veins poke out on my calves. A photographer complained about it one time a couple years ago. I think that's just from having really muscular legs, but I'm not sure. They don't look like broken veins or anything. They didn't use to be that way. I have really veiny hands and forearms now too. People who talk about Sarah Jessica Parker's hands would shit themselves if they saw mine.  lol

sarah is skinny and looks like kinda like skelator body 

veins with that type of body isn't good stuff.

Sep 04 10 09:15 am Link

Model

Koryn

Damon Banner wrote:
sarah is skinny and looks like kinda like skelator body

https://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/rebopoots/Lold.jpg

Sep 04 10 09:23 am Link