Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Why don't men wear makeup?

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

Women wear makeup on a daily basis, and when they do, they look far, far better than when they don't.

Why don't men wear it, even occasionally? Surely, if it had even a small fraction of the effect it has on women, it would be worthwhile?

To the extent that they would look silly wearing it - it wouldn't need to be heavy, like women's makeup.

Sep 08 10 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

When I'm working, ain't got the time.

When I'm playing or working, sweat would make the makeup melt down my face.

And why do I need to look pretty? I dress like crap most of the time because it's quick, easy, comfortable, and when I do break down and dress up and look marginally nice, it's such a shock to the ladies that they go semi-bonkers. If I were to go so far as to wear eye shadow or eyeliner, their heads would probably explode and we can't have that.

Besides, I had a metrosexual coworker and he was ridiculous. I don't need any help being ridiculous.

Sep 08 10 05:05 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Detroit, Michigan, US

It's feminine.  Men are masculine.

Sep 08 10 05:19 am Link

Photographer

Jay Pegg

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Have you ever tried putting foundation on over stubble?

Sep 08 10 05:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

Monkey

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Pfft.

Men shouldn't be pretty.

Massive red spot? Pop a dot of concealer on it. No need for more than that, otherwise we'll start asking you to help with our eyeshadow and curling our hair!

Sep 08 10 05:22 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Detroit, Michigan, US

Davepit wrote:
Surely, if it had even a small fraction of the effect it has on women, it would be worthwhile?

Men's brains operate on visual chemistry.  Women's brains operate on sensual brain chemistry.

Women are designed to be visually stimulating to attract men.  Men are wired to be stimulated by that visual stimulation.

Women do the stimulating and men get stimulated.  It's like the binary nature of nature.

One does, so the other doesn't have to.  It's efficient.

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Davepit wrote:
Women wear makeup on a daily basis, and when they do, they look far, far better than when they don't.

Why don't men wear it, even occasionally? Surely, if it had even a small fraction of the effect it has on women, it would be worthwhile?

To the extent that they would look silly wearing it - it wouldn't need to be heavy, like women's makeup.

If you want to wear makeup, do it!

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

1) some men do
2) I can't even be bothered to shave my face every day. What the heck makes you think I can be bothered to slather make up all over it
3) I'd look like a complete goof
4) I already get enough girls as it is.

Sep 08 10 05:23 am Link

Makeup Artist

Monkey

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Jay Pegg wrote:

News readers (etc.) do it all the time.

But it looks like crap. Like they have a grey smudge over half of their face!

Sep 08 10 05:25 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Campbell

Pottstown, Pennsylvania, US

Jay Pegg wrote:

Sounds like body filler or spackle for drywalls.

Sep 08 10 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Stuart James

If a man wore makeup he would be accused/assumed to be Gay by both men and women i'm sure, If there wasn't this hangup i'm sure men would wear makeup, especially eye makeup, as more and more straight celebrities are doing it eventually it will probably be accepted but I think we are a few years off yet

Sep 08 10 05:27 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Jay Pegg wrote:

Try having a beard! But why would anyone want to put makeup over a face this perfect...
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3754/233/115/1625832244/n1625832244_217780_2451545.jpg

Sep 08 10 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Jay Pegg wrote:

lol

Sep 08 10 05:39 am Link

Model

EvaScarlet

Los Angeles, California, US

https://www.filthyandcomplicated.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/brandon-lee-the-crow-photograph-c10104025.jpeg

big_smile

Sep 08 10 05:41 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Because the bastards never get my color of blush or lip gloss right.

Sep 08 10 05:45 am Link

Photographer

Jay Pegg

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Monkey wrote:
News readers (etc.) do it all the time.

That's for television though, and is done to get rid of glare/shine, not for when they go shopping for shoes.

Sep 08 10 05:48 am Link

Photographer

Cliff from NJ

Clinton, New Jersey, US

Men on TV wear make-up.

Sep 08 10 05:49 am Link

Model

EvaScarlet

Cliff from NJ wrote:
Men on TV wear make-up.

(lol.......does anyone actually read through the thread before posting?)

wink

Sep 08 10 05:53 am Link

Model

light_bright

Okinawa, Okinawa, Japan

Dave the design student wrote:

/end thread

Sep 08 10 05:57 am Link

Photographer

Paul Bryson Photography

Hollywood, Florida, US

Most men don't wear makeup because society told them not to, and they're too much of a coward to go against what others might think.
REAL men are brave enough to not give a fuck about what others think, and will wear what the fuck they want to wear.
I don't wear makeup because it's expensive and time-consuming. Other than that, I don't see the big deal, and wouldn't give a fuck what others thought if I decided to wear it.

Sep 08 10 05:59 am Link

Model

EvaScarlet

I think men in eyeliner are insanely sexy....

Sep 08 10 06:00 am Link

Model

Katja M

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I know a guy who wore foundation, it smoothed his skin tone and looked really good!

Sep 08 10 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

I used to wear liquid eyeliner. Seemed to work well when I had masses of thick black hair.
Now that I'm going grey/bald, it really just doesn't work for me anymore.

EDIT: I started to post this before this was posted. smile

EvaScarlet wrote:
I think men in eyeliner are insanely sexy....

Sep 08 10 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

Sep 08 10 06:02 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

Men's brains operate on visual chemistry.  Women's brains operate on sensual brain chemistry.

Women are designed to be visually stimulating to attract men.  Men are wired to be stimulated by that visual stimulation.

Women do the stimulating and men get stimulated.  It's like the binary nature of nature.

One does, so the other doesn't have to.  It's efficient.

Sure, but care about ones appearance isn't just to impress the opposite sex.

Sep 08 10 06:03 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

Jay Pegg wrote:

No - I don't really know anything about makeup. But why would you put foundation over stubble? Surely you would shave, first!

Sep 08 10 06:04 am Link

Photographer

Paul Bryson Photography

Hollywood, Florida, US

Are you sure about that? I think he'd disagree. wink

https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/091013/21/4ad55086f14f9.jpg

Sep 08 10 06:04 am Link

Model

Grim Passion

Oakton, Virginia, US

i dono. i think my bf sneeks into my makeup box from time to time and steals my concealers and powders.....i alwys find my stuff in his room!!! so he uses it in secret.

Sep 08 10 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Engel

Waltham, Massachusetts, US

Makeup is about masks and vanity, mystery and allure.

Women are SUPPOSED to be able to "hide" their true natures from the rest of the world and men especially, because that's part of the mystery factor that attracts men to women.

However, men are SUPPOSED to be "grounded" and "truthful" and reliable. Makeup and "hiding truth" goes against that concept.

Now, go back far enough and you'll see aristocratic males getting into makeup, but that's because they are of an elevated social class which is all about perception and power and "secrets". It was natural for a man to be able to have many faces, especially if you were King or Pharaoh.

Makeup is about hiding truth, to create mystery, and men are traditionally not supposed to be that vain, and actually the opposite.

Sep 08 10 08:23 am Link

Model

The Duchess of Dork

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Sometimes my husband uses my deoderant. >_> That's as far as it goes..

Sep 08 10 08:26 am Link

Model

Nylon

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

He wears make up and I love him for it hahaahah! big_smile

https://www.modelmayhem.com/1262

Sep 08 10 08:27 am Link

Makeup Artist

LizW_Makeup

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Men need - and regularly receive - makeup for photography and television. Including the masculine &/or heterosexual ones. Not just actors, models and celebrities, either - CEOs and politicians frequently wear something to enhance their skin. (And for good reason: http://www.museum.tv/eotvsection.php?en … nedy-nixon)

What most laypeople think of when they think of "makeup" is noticeable makeup - dark eyeliner, bright lipstick, heavy blush/bronzer, etc. And while it doesn't fit many folks' image of "what a man should be," some men choose to wear noticeable makeup to express themselves for any number of reasons.

But the subtler use of makeup is just another part of male grooming for specific situations where it is called for. Done well, it can be quite undetectable. But it's still makeup. However, since the idea of "makeup" makes some people uptight, makeup artists who work with non-entertainment-industry "manly men" soon learn to eschew the cute compacts and pink sponges and cater to their clients.

(I say this as someone who has gotten three separate job offers for male grooming in the past month, and who needs to develop a client-ready grooming portfolio, like, YESTERDAY.)

Sep 08 10 08:38 am Link

Model

L57

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Men don't usually wear makeup because of societal norms and expectations of how a man should look and appear and because it is a habit that men do not develop.

Sep 08 10 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Nudes

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Davepit wrote:

they do

https://www.100xr.com/100_XR/Artists/F/Fall_Out_Boy/Fall.Out.Boy.jpg

Sep 08 10 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Keyhole Imagery

Woodstock, Georgia, US

its the opposite of true nature... where the male has to have the vivid colors, large feathers, horns, tusks, calls, dances, etc... to attract the female.

-J.D.

Sep 08 10 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Davepit wrote:
Why don't men wear makeup?

Probably for the same reason we don't wear ''padded crotch bras'' -- with men, what you see is what you get.

Sep 08 10 09:58 am Link

Model

CodyKee

Flint, Michigan, US

Masculinity and feminism are not the same.

Thats not to say there are not feminine men or more masculine women, but in general guys are masculine and women feminine.

And a trait of masculinity is ruggedness or more of a natural gruff look as opposed to smooth and sexy and primpy.

Sep 08 10 10:01 am Link

Artist/Painter

Christopher Willingham

Long Beach, California, US

Because men are stupid enough to chase women because of what they put on their face and women are smart enough to chase after men based on what they put in the bank... hmm

Sep 08 10 10:02 am Link

Model

Livane

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

I have a few guy pals who wear eyliner constantly and one or two who wear concealer, blush and eyeliner/shadow/mascara.... if they can pull it off *and my mate Adam looks gorgeous with his black and red eyeliner* then why not?

also, gimme the days of powdered wigs and painted gentry.. I love that stuff!

Sep 08 10 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Eastfist

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

One of my heroes, Ewan McGregor, supposedly wears eye-liner.

https://www.fullissue.com/wp-content/uploads/ewan-mcgregor.jpg

Sep 08 10 10:51 am Link