Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > UPDATED Foundations thread!

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ernesto Casillas wrote:

This would make a great thread! what foundations can be mixed for great results, what they can be cut with, and which ones don't work with silicone primers...

This is a GREAT idea. Anyone with more info please look into starting this thread.....

Sep 26 10 02:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

To all the FA users.....which shades do you feel are the best to buy FIRST? I am on a budget so I can't get them all in full size so I will be ordering samples. I want to get mutiples of the same shades so I don't have to order so soon if I like them. Which shades do you feel are mush haves? I am getting 0++, 0-, and heat of course.

Sep 26 10 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Ernesto Casillas

Los Angeles, California, US

Blushed by SLM wrote:
To all the FA users.....which shades do you feel are the best to buy FIRST? I am on a budget so I can't get them all in full size so I will be ordering samples. I want to get mutiples of the same shades so I don't have to order so soon if I like them. Which shades do you feel are mush haves? I am getting 0++, 0-, and heat of course.

This depends on your clientelle. Do you mostly work with fair/medium skin tones, or all?

Sep 26 10 03:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ernesto Casillas wrote:
This depends on your clientelle. Do you mostly work with fair/medium skin tones, or all?

When I first started it was mostly dark skin tones but now I am working with more medium tones but I want to make sure I can cover all. I would love a good range of light to medium shades since I have tons of creme foundation for women of color left over.

Sep 26 10 03:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Jean Myers

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Blushed by SLM wrote:

When I first started it was mostly dark skin tones but now I am working with more medium tones but I want to make sure I can cover all. I would love a good range of light to medium shades since I have tons of creme foundation for women of color left over.

Get evens 2,4,6,8 and 0-, 0+...if you work on a lot of dark tones maybe some of the new darker shades too

Sep 26 10 03:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Jean Myers

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

courthart wrote:

what is the Yaby like compared to FA?? the liquid i mean

Similar but less dewy...it's got nice buildable coverage too smile

Sep 26 10 03:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jessica Jean Myers wrote:

Get evens 2,4,6,8 and 0-, 0+...if you work on a lot of dark tones maybe some of the new darker shades too

Thanks I really appreciate it! Is this foundation buildable?

Sep 26 10 03:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MakeupForLattes

Pullman, Washington, US

This is such a useful thread, I love knowing what foundations you use and why, like what works best for different skin types and different types of coverage.

smile

I hope this ends up in the FAQ!

Sep 26 10 04:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

Blushed by SLM wrote:

Thanks I really appreciate it! Is this foundation buildable?

FA is buildable but you really don't have to use more than "one coat".  It has amazing coverage.  One pump will cover the whole face.  If you want it more sheer, then do half a pump.

Sep 26 10 04:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Y S B wrote:

FA is buildable but you really don't have to use more than "one coat".  It has amazing coverage.  One pump will cover the whole face.  If you want it more sheer, then do half a pump.

Thanks....this is good to know!

Sep 26 10 06:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Callaway Beauty

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Y S B wrote:

There is NEVER a wrong "order" of doing things.  Personally I like to do eyes first because if I have any fall out its easy to clean up w/o worrying that I'm going to mess up the concealer/foundation.  It also saves time and product.  Why do concealer/foundation, get eyeshadow fallout, then clean up the mess?  You just spent product and time because now you have to re-apply what you took off.

But why not use those fall out papers that you can just peel off?  Because it cost money and I don't like to spend money unnecessarily esp in this economy.

There is no wrong order! I agree totally! I like to do eyes and brows first!

Sep 26 10 07:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Callaway Beauty

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Does anyone use Mac Foundations anymore? ORrrr am I the only one?lol, I loveeee Studio Fix Fluid...Medium to Full Coverage .....Natural Matte Finish also.....But I am very interested in the FA. It sounds similar to Mac's Studio Scupt.

Sep 26 10 07:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Callaway Beauty

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Jessica Jean Myers wrote:

I will be trying FA.....I want to rebuild my kit after reading this thread.

Sep 26 10 07:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Callaway Beauty

Baltimore, Maryland, US

What drug stor brands are the best? Right now im in love with True match Liquid by Loreal....Any other suggestions????smile

Sep 26 10 07:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

BeautyMarkd by Ashley C wrote:
What drug stor brands are the best? Right now im in love with True match Liquid by Loreal....Any other suggestions????smile

Revlon Color Stay for liquids & I use Black Opal creme stick for women of color...

Sep 26 10 08:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SN Makeup

Corona, California, US

Blushed by SLM wrote:

When I went to IMATS, I got my color (6), 2, 10 (I think - it was a dark yellow-based foundation), Heat, 0++, 0-.

Sep 26 10 08:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SN Makeup

Corona, California, US

This is what I carry in my kit:

RCMA Shinto Palette
CS: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 -  mostly use 3, 5, & 7
FA: 2, 6, 9, Heat, 0-, 0++
CoverFX: I haven't used in a shoot yet. Still testing it out
Graftobian Color Corrector Palette
MAC Concealer Palettes (le from a couple of years ago in Light, Medium, & Dark)
Temptu sb
OCC Skin
Yaby Powder Foundation Palettes - Light & Medium (just need to get)

Wishlist?: MUFE HD, maybe Face & Body too

Sep 26 10 08:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am in love with the Graftobian correctors! Anyone know a great corrector for dark skin?

Sep 26 10 08:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Sep 26 10 10:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

rdav

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Bourjois 'healthy mix'
sheer-medium coverage and can be matched with their concealers (but they only have a few concealers in the 'healthy mix' range) these foundations smell nice too.

Sep 26 10 10:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

rdav

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I love a dewy finish (can always mattify with powder) so almost all my foundations are give me dewy.

Yaby liquids, Bourjois healthy mix, Temptu Pro S/B airbrush, Face Atelier Pro Ultra, RCMA (weird hybrid of SH + KO), Graftobian hi-def glamour crème Neutral Palette #1.

LOVE
RCMA for dry skin, FA for dry skin.

Bourjois for normal/oily skin (and sheers nicely for men), yaby liquids for either but leaning more towards normal/oily skin (also great on men because it's really sheer).

Haven't got into using the graftobian much yet, I find it quite oily

Sep 26 10 11:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

Does anyone use Mac Foundations anymore? ORrrr am I the only one?lol, I loveeee Studio Fix Fluid...Medium to Full Coverage .....Natural Matte Finish also.....But I am very interested in the FA. It sounds similar to Mac's Studio Scupt.

I don't use anything MAC because I don't like to support anything that takes jobs away from MUA's.  Plus, although popular and highly overrated, some of my personal clients are allergic to it so I rather stay away from them than risk someone breaking out.

Sep 27 10 03:53 am Link

Photographer

Ernesto Casillas

Los Angeles, California, US

Y S B wrote:

I don't use anything MAC because I don't like to support anything that takes jobs away from MUA's.  Plus, although popular and highly overrated, some of my personal clients are allergic to it so I rather stay away from them than risk someone breaking out.

I'm confused as how it takes jobs away from MUA's?
Doesn't it EMPLOY MUA's?

Sep 27 10 11:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Ernesto Casillas wrote:

Doesn't it EMPLOY MUA's?

There are lots of old threads on this but this one will give you some explanation & links.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 6229&page=

Sep 27 10 11:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty by Natalie

New York, New York, US

I don't use their foundations.  But I do have some other products....lipsticks, eyeshadows/liners.

Sep 27 10 11:56 am Link

Makeup Artist

beauty

Akhiok, Alaska, US

Ernesto Casillas wrote:
Doesn't it EMPLOY MUA's?

MAC ( Estee Lauder ) have the budget to sponsor a lot of work.

Fashion week,
Department Store / Events  Parades
Magazine Editorial / Advertising  Shoots
Etc .

In exchange that these companies use their artist ( MAC ) for a credit.  No pay but experience and exposure to the artist.

Other make up companies are also adopting this method of exchange,  product and talent for advertising credits.

= Cheap advertising

Sep 27 10 01:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Moore

Port Lincoln, South Australia, Australia

finally a new foundation thread smile 

How about concealers/correctors?  (Sendu search has been down for DAYS)

I love Eve Pearl Salmon trio for under eyes, but I'm after some for blemish/general concealing.  Any suggestions?  I like the dry Laura Mercier for blemishes, but I need more colors in this.

Sep 27 10 04:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KJB

New York, New York, US

makeupbyDhani wrote:
finally a new foundation thread smile 

How about concealers/correctors?  (Sendu search has been down for DAYS)

I love Eve Pearl Salmon trio for under eyes, but I'm after some for blemish/general concealing.  Any suggestions?  I like the dry Laura Mercier for blemishes, but I need more colors in this.

CoverFX Total Coverage has filled that classification for me...in 30 colors.
http://www.coverfx.com:80/US/Total-Cove … -P1C2.aspx

For extreme coverage that needs to be very waterproof, try MUFE Full Cover or Colortration Liquid - each has 12 colors to choose from.
http://www.colortration.com/index.htm

Sep 27 10 04:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Moore

Port Lincoln, South Australia, Australia

thanks Kevin smile

Sep 27 10 05:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty by Natalie

New York, New York, US

I'm really fond of the Yaby color correctors. 

I've been meaning to try the Even Pearl concealers b/c I've heard a lot of positive feedback.

Sep 27 10 05:21 pm Link

Model

Lorayne York

Topeka, Kansas, US

I saw that you mentioned MUFE HD for oily skin. I have oily skin, should i switch to that foundation? and i googled it and saw that the power/primer might be good too... so is that true?

Sep 27 10 05:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

Lorayne York wrote:
I saw that you mentioned MUFE HD for oily skin. I have oily skin, should i switch to that foundation? and i googled it and saw that the power/primer might be good too... so is that true?

The MUFE HD foundation is def dryer than the FA so it works really great with oily skin.  I don't use primer so I wouldn't know.  And the MUFE HD powder is nice for beauty but absolutely TERRIBLE for film.

Sep 27 10 05:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have been hunting for a great orange concealer for dark skin but the only one I have found is Cover fx in B35 but it's sold out. Is there any other good one?

Sep 27 10 05:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Callaway Beauty

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Blushed by SLM wrote:

Revlon Color Stay for liquids & I use Black Opal creme stick for women of color...

Oh yes I love Black Opal for women of color also! smile

Sep 27 10 06:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MakeupForLattes

Pullman, Washington, US

So far I know Face Atelier has sample sizes….but after reading this thread I want to try out multiple brands without breaking the bank or being stuck with a product that isn't right for my kit.

Right now I use Smashbox foundations almost exclusively.

I have read thus far that ya'll really like FA for dryer/mature skin because of it's dewiness. What do you recommed for younger (teen) acne prone skin? What other brands can I buy sample sizes of? I'll be re-reading the thread and perusing websites for Graftobian (sp?), Yaby (which I didn't see samples under the makeup/face/foundation tab) and RCMA….

Thanks for such a great thread guys, this has proved to be SUPER useful!!!

Sep 27 10 07:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KJB

New York, New York, US

Y S B wrote:
The MUFE HD foundation is def dryer than the FA so it works really great with oily skin.  I don't use primer so I wouldn't know.  And the MUFE HD powder is nice for beauty but absolutely TERRIBLE for film.

You've said MUFE HD Powder is 'terrible' for film twice...and I totally disagree. 
It was designed for HD Video and Film...not photo.   I've had absolutely no trouble and have gotten great results on multiple film grades.  It translated well in every other format from precise digital photo to HD Video (including Sony Red).
I'm very interested to hear what problems are you experiencing.

BTW - RCMA's pigments are not micronized and do not work well in HD Video or HD Photo formats.  It shows product texture very easily if not thinned out to almost shear. Cinema Secrets is a better cream makeup formulation in these mediums when you need adjustable coverage.

Sep 27 10 07:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

KJ Bennett Beauty wrote:

You've said MUFE HD Powder is 'terrible' for film twice...and I totally disagree. 
It was designed for HD Video and Film...not photo.   I've had absolutely no trouble and have gotten great results on multiple film grades.  It translated well in every other format from precise digital photo to HD Video (including Sony Red).
I'm very interested to hear what problems are you experiencing.

BTW - RCMA's pigments are not micronized and do not work well in HD Video or HD Photo formats.  They show product texture very easily if not thinned out to almost shear.

It picks up super dry and ashy esp on the RED cam and I'm not the only MUA who feels this way about this powder.  Many agree that it really isnt the best for Film.

Sorry, I love MUFE and all but that powder is really useless to me unless I'm doing a beauty shoot.

Sep 27 10 07:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KJB

New York, New York, US

Y S B wrote:
It picks up super dry and ashy esp on the RED cam and I'm not the only MUA who feels this way about this powder.  Many agree that it really isnt the best for Film.

Sorry, I love MUFE and all but that powder is really useless to me unless I'm doing a beauty shoot.

I believe that you (and many other artists) are using it incorrectly. 
It is not a matting product. It is designed to remove just enough oil shine to balance to a "normal" light reflective level so skin appears healthy and natural...not powdered or matte.  The powder MUST come in contact with either oil or moisture on the skin surface to become transparent (activated)...otherwise it will sit on the surface and look white-ish or grey on darker skin-tones.
You should never powder skin unless it is oily in an HD format.  Matte skin looks just as bad as oily skin in that medium.
If you accidentally apply the powder to a dryer skin-type and it sits on the surface and looks whitish...give it a light spray of makeup fixative or mineral water (Evian, etc.) and it will go transparent immediately removing any ashy finish.

Sep 27 10 07:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Hillary Wehrle

Forest Hills, New York, US

Blushed by SLM wrote:
I have been hunting for a great orange concealer for dark skin but the only one I have found is Cover fx in B35 but it's sold out. Is there any other good one?

Makeup Designory makes a really good orange for darker skin tones- www.mudshop.com

Also, has anyone tried the MAC silicone based airbrush m.u.?  Is it any good?  TIA.

Sep 27 10 09:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

KJ Bennett Beauty wrote:

I believe that you (and many other artists) are using it incorrectly. 
It is not a matting product. It is designed to remove just enough oil shine to balance to a "normal" light reflective level so skin appears healthy and natural...not powdered or matte.  The powder MUST come in contact with either oil or moisture on the skin surface to become transparent (activated)...otherwise it will sit on the surface and look white-ish or grey on darker skin-tones.
You should never powder skin unless it is oily in an HD format.  Matte skin looks just as bad as oily skin in that medium.
If you accidentally apply the powder to a dryer skin-type and it sits on the surface and looks whitish...give it a light spray of makeup fixative or mineral water (Evian, etc.) and it will go transparent immediately removing any ashy finish.

+1

Used correctly, MUFE HD powder is a FANTASTIC asset to any makeup artist's kit. I think a lot of artists apply way too much of this product and use it where it isn't necessary.

Sep 27 10 09:41 pm Link