Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > UPDATED Foundations thread!

Model

Red McCord Springfield

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

MAC is just the bomb for print.

I found years ago that Clinique had a super full coverage that was great for television, after they discontinued my color I went to using a Chanel liquid base under Chanel Pro Finish makeup.
*former tv personallity

Sep 27 10 09:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

thaDopeEss

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

im trying to build my kit and these answers are awesome. I know RCMA has a sample foundation kit thats not bad on price right now. Im currently using dinairs airbrush kit that i love but i wanted to know if anyone has used the BBpalettes and whats your opinion.....

Sep 27 10 10:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hillary Wehrle wrote:

Makeup Designory makes a really good orange for darker skin tones- www.mudshop.com

Also, has anyone tried the MAC silicone based airbrush m.u.?  Is it any good?  TIA.

Hey thanks so much!

Sep 27 10 10:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

KJ Bennett Beauty wrote:

I believe that you (and many other artists) are using it incorrectly. 
It is not a matting product. It is designed to remove just enough oil shine to balance to a "normal" light reflective level so skin appears healthy and natural...not powdered or matte.  The powder MUST come in contact with either oil or moisture on the skin surface to become transparent (activated)...otherwise it will sit on the surface and look white-ish or grey on darker skin-tones.
You should never powder skin unless it is oily in an HD format.  Matte skin looks just as bad as oily skin in that medium.
If you accidentally apply the powder to a dryer skin-type and it sits on the surface and looks whitish...give it a light spray of makeup fixative or mineral water (Evian, etc.) and it will go transparent immediately removing any ashy finish.

I shall give that a try next time.  I always enjoy trying out new methods of doing things.

Sep 28 10 02:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Joy Adenuga

London, England, United Kingdom

Quick questions please!!!

Whats the best full coverage foundation to cover blemishes?

whats the best foundation for men?

Sep 28 10 02:27 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Jean Myers

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Joy Adenuga wrote:
Quick questions please!!!

Whats the best full coverage foundation to cover blemishes?

whats the best foundation for men?

I really like Yaby Powder Foundation on Men..it evens out skintone w/out making it look like they are wearing foundation.

For full coverage I really like the Yaby cream foundation (a little bit goes a long way), Yaby concealers or Keromask concealers...if more coverage is needed I'll also powder w/ Yaby Powder Foundation

Sep 28 10 05:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Joy Adenuga

London, England, United Kingdom

Jessica Jean Myers wrote:

I really like Yaby Powder Foundation on Men..it evens out skintone w/out making it look like they are wearing foundation.

For full coverage I really like the Yaby cream foundation (a little bit goes a long way), Yaby concealers or Keromask concealers...if more coverage is needed I'll also powder w/ Yaby Powder Foundation

thanks!!!

Sep 28 10 06:03 am Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am so happy this thread is helping people, heck it's helped me learn so much....thanks for all the replies!

Sep 28 10 08:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

Vernita Dawkins Makeup

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I have the Graftobian  HD warm and neutral super palettes.  I recently added the  MUFE HD foundation to my kit. I have the MUFE HD in 110, 117,128, 177, 114, 155, 178 and 185.
I keep the FA for mature and dry skin. 

I have seen MUFE Face and Body and the MAC Face & Body used over cream foundations to sheer out and even the skin.

Other than MAC lip and eye pencils, I have rid my kit of MAC products.

1. Does anyone have MUFE HD AND MUFE Face & Body in their kit?
2.  If so, what shades of MUFE Face & Body would you carry?

Oct 03 10 05:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

T K A

Los Angeles, California, US

I am not a MAC fan by any means, but I just discovered Studio Sculpt foundation and I am blown away by the texture! It's so dewy and creamy! I only received a sample but can't wait to stock my kit with it. Just thought I'd share smile

Oct 05 10 03:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Zena Saab

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Is it wrong that I only keep a couple different kind of foundations? Yaby cream, Smashbox (high def and halo and some powders) and a small sample kit of ket airbrush (that I use with a reg foundation brush anyways)
I do mostly weddings, events, photography. Hoping a new contact I made will get me more commercial...,
Not enough selection? So far so good , but is there info I am missing?

Oct 06 10 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Ernesto Casillas

Theresa Amundsen wrote:
I am not a MAC fan by any means, but I just discovered Studio Sculpt foundation and I am blown away by the texture! It's so dewy and creamy! I only received a sample but can't wait to stock my kit with it. Just thought I'd share smile

+1

Oct 06 10 04:15 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Bella Styling Co

Fullerton, California, US

Y S B wrote:
I use the RCMA Shinto Palette.  I don't need the KO.

I wanted to buy both palettes. Should i just buy the Shinto one then?>

Oct 11 10 12:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

Sarah Rosee Dalton wrote:

I wanted to buy both palettes. Should i just buy the Shinto one then?>

The Shinto is all you really need.  It has both warm and cool colors.  If anything is too yellow for you, it has some warm colors you can mix.  I use that one palette for both Film and Print.

I don't think I know anyone that actually owns the KO palette.

Oct 11 10 03:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SN Makeup

Corona, California, US

Y S B wrote:

The Shinto is all you really need.  It has both warm and cool colors.  If anything is too yellow for you, it has some warm colors you can mix.  I use that one palette for both Film and Print.

I just got the KO Palette, mostly because it has all the "salmon" tones - which I thought would be good for concealing and color-correcting. But that's just me. I like me textures to be the same.

Oct 11 10 03:32 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Bella Styling Co

Fullerton, California, US

Y S B wrote:

oh okay.
And I was going to get the sample palette to try it out.
Or should I just splurge for the full size?

Oct 11 10 03:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SN Makeup

Corona, California, US

oh okay.

Maybe do both samples for the same price. Also, I like the compactness of the samplers. Plus you can refill just the colors you use most rather than have tons of colors that don't use.

Oct 11 10 04:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

oh okay.

I don't have the Full Size,  I like to keep things as compressed as possible and hate carrying bulky things.

Oct 11 10 04:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Just thought I would bring this  thread back in case anyone had any new foundation tips to add. Me I am ordering some Cinema secret palettes today....I was thinking of getting 1,3, 5, 7, 11...what do you guys suggest?

Dec 02 10 03:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty by Natalie

New York, New York, US

I have #3, 5, 7 & 11.

This gives me a good range from very fair to dark with a mixture of yellow and pink/red tones. 

I LOVE my CS!!

Dec 02 10 04:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thanks so much!

I am debating getting another graftobian warm palette for 63.00 including shipping or buying 4 palettes from Cinema Secret for 80.00 something. I am so used to how Graftobian blends & the colors so it would be easier & more economical to go with that palette but it only has warm tones....no pink undertones. Will these cinema secrets palettes will give me a mixture?

Dec 02 10 04:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Bethany Ruck Makeup

Shekeita Magitt wrote:
Thanks so much!

I am debating getting another graftobian warm palette for 63.00 including shipping or buying 4 palettes from Cinema Secret for 80.00 something. I am so used to how Graftobian blends & the colors so it would be easier & more economical to go with that palette but it only has warm tones....no pink undertones. Will these cinema secrets palettes will give me a mixture?

The Cinema Secrets are going to be better than the Graftobian for your oily skin clients. They feel very similar. Graftobian is tad bit creamier. I get better coverage and control out of CS though.

Dec 02 10 04:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thanks Bethany!

Dec 02 10 04:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dianna Quagenti

Boston, Massachusetts, US

KJ Bennett Beauty wrote:

I believe that you (and many other artists) are using it incorrectly. 
It is not a matting product. It is designed to remove just enough oil shine to balance to a "normal" light reflective level so skin appears healthy and natural...not powdered or matte.  The powder MUST come in contact with either oil or moisture on the skin surface to become transparent (activated)...otherwise it will sit on the surface and look white-ish or grey on darker skin-tones.
You should never powder skin unless it is oily in an HD format.  Matte skin looks just as bad as oily skin in that medium.
If you accidentally apply the powder to a dryer skin-type and it sits on the surface and looks whitish...give it a light spray of makeup fixative or mineral water (Evian, etc.) and it will go transparent immediately removing any ashy finish.

Ah ha!  Makes total sense now, thanks for clarifying that.  I personally have not used it for film yet but LOVE LOVE LOVE it for everything else (including myself)!!!

Dec 02 10 06:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dianna Quagenti

Boston, Massachusetts, US

T K A wrote:

I'd rethink that, it has SPF 15 and thus can look terrible in certain lighting/flash photos... it depends on the medium you are working in, but.. IMO, there are so many better products out there for PRO use, why take a chance??  Most of MAC's new foundations are more for the consumer now... and just aren't... well, ... good enough! LOL

Dec 02 10 06:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Chelsea Dutchak

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

How many of the MUFE HD foundations should I get to cover a range of skin tones?
And which ones?

Dec 07 10 06:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Here are two recent threads that have great info on Graftobian & Cinema Secrets foundations/correctors.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=655185
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=656173

Dec 08 10 09:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Chelsea Dutchak wrote:
How many of the MUFE HD foundations should I get to cover a range of skin tones?
And which ones?

Below is a link to KJ Benett's recommendations for MUFE HD, hope this helps!
I do not use this foundation so I can not agree or disagree. The only liquid I use is Face Atelier ultra in shades, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 & adjusters in zero minus & zero plus plus. I use heat also to adjust and as blush. It was the more affordable liquid foundation since each sample is 1.00. HTH

http://inmykit.com/inmykit/foundation.htm

Dec 08 10 09:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

Chelsea Dutchak

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Shekeita Magitt wrote:

Below is a link to KJ Benett's recommendations for MUFE HD, hope this helps!
I do not use this foundation so I can not agree or disagree. The only liquid I use is Face Atelier ultra in shades, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 & adjusters in zero minus & zero plus plus. I use heat also to adjust and as blush. It was the more affordable liquid foundation since each sample is 1.00. HTH

http://inmykit.com/inmykit/foundation.htm

Thanks...looking at it now...WOW! Soo helpful!

Dec 08 10 12:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Chelsea Dutchak wrote:

Thanks...looking at it now...WOW! Soo helpful!

Of course! It's one of my most helpful resources EVER besides the forums.

Dec 08 10 12:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Jen

Sacramento, California, US

I jsut wanna say I freakin love this thread!

Dec 10 10 09:05 am Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

MUA Jen wrote:
I jsut wanna say I freakin love this thread!

Dec 10 10 09:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Here is another amazing thread that has some great info on mixing, thinning & what foundations work well together.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=657238

Dec 10 10 09:11 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty by Natalie

New York, New York, US

Heat from FA is amaaaazing!!

Like Shekeita said it can be used as a blush. 

And it warms up the foundations so beautifully.  I find FA foundations to be more on the yellow side so Heat definitely gets the job done if you need less yellow.

Dec 10 10 09:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Natalie Cardona wrote:
Heat from FA is amaaaazing!!

Like Shekeita said it can be used as a blush. 

And it warms up the foundations so beautifully.  I find FA foundations to be more on the yellow side so Heat definitely gets the job done if you need less yellow.

I should try it for warming up foundations....I am getting the CS ones so they are more yellow so this would be perfect. *Love the new avi!

Dec 10 10 09:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty by Natalie

New York, New York, US

Yes girl....warm up those foundations with Heat when needed.  And a little goes a long way!

Thanks!

Dec 10 10 09:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I found this interesting  http://makeup411.com/products/id/149/

you can look at this site at what  lot of the stars are wearing in the movies you may have seen....

Dec 10 10 10:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Here are some good pics of the ACTUAL CS palettes......

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cinema-secrets-foun … 564127425d

Dec 10 10 10:21 am Link

Photographer

KA Style

Syracuse, New York, US

Shekeita Magitt wrote:
Revlon Color Stay for liquids & I use Black Opal creme stick for women of color...

I really like the Max Factor Pan sticks.

I love my Yaby and Graftioban.< really love, creamy like butter!

Dec 10 10 11:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

Shekeita Magitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

k GLaM Syracuse wrote:

I really like the Max Factor Pan sticks.

I love my Yaby and Graftioban.< really love, creamy like butter!

I haven't tried them....what's the finish like and how do they look on camera?

Dec 11 10 08:37 am Link