Forums > Photography Talk > Places to buy Alien Bees strobes?

Photographer

Drew Conerly

Brandon, Mississippi, US

Other than the actual Alien Bees website, Craigslist and Ebay, are there any other online companies/auctions where I can purchase Alien Bees strobe units?

Also, if anyone has either of the B400 or B800 units that they would be willing to sale, please send me a message.

Mar 17 11 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Sungoddess Studios

Keyport, New Jersey, US

used? here, B&H Adorama, Fred Miranda, Amazon, pro photo, 42nd street

Mar 17 11 08:42 am Link

Photographer

976 Photography

Shreveport, Louisiana, US

They're only sold factory direct. So if you want a new one you have to buy straight from the Paul Buff website.

If you want a used one, just check all the usual places, but Ebay will probably be your best bet.

Mar 17 11 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Under the Gun

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Deal straight with Alien Bees, they ship fast and have great customer service. I get student pricing from then as a grad student and when I sell my stuff online it always goes used for more than I paid. Great product and a great value.

Mar 17 11 08:49 am Link

Retoucher

MP_DigitalStudio1

San Francisco, California, US

I have some for sale.... Just sent u PM

Mar 17 11 08:56 am Link

Photographer

976 Photography

Shreveport, Louisiana, US

Under the Gun wrote:
Deal straight with Alien Bees, they ship fast and have great customer service. I get student pricing from then as a grad student and when I sell my stuff online it always goes used for more than I paid. Great product and a great value.

+1

They tend to hold their value well. Usually if you do find a used one that's not beat to all hell it's not that much cheaper than just getting a new one. Then at least you know it hasn't been abused. And on the odd chance there is something wrong with it you know they'll replace it for you.

Mar 17 11 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Drew Conerly

Brandon, Mississippi, US

I've never seen any new or used Alien Bees light units on B&H Adorama, Fred Miranda or Amazon.  I remember seeing some auctions online for the units, but I can't recall the website.  I was hoping that someone knew of other online auctions like Ebay.  I'm on a very strict budget, and I was wanting to get something used, but in working condition...for less than $225.  I've seen a few B400s go for $150 on Ebay, but you have to be lucky to find good deals.  Every now and then a seller will mispell the brand name or post the item in a wrong category, but its rare that this happens.  I bought a lens from a seller on Ebay that mispelled the brand name, so a lot of people probably didn't even know the lens was for sale.

Mar 17 11 09:43 am Link

Photographer

FacadePhoto

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

I've been scouting Ebay for used Alien Bee monolights and the prices for used ones are so close to new that it's not worth it.  Might as well buy from Paul Buff

New B400 $224.95
New B800  $279.95
New B1600 $359.95

Nov 14 12 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Ezhini

Wichita, Kansas, US

Under the Gun wrote:

Awesome reseller business llama for a student!  tongue
Good for you.

Nov 14 12 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Photoarray

South Bend, Indiana, US

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

I've bought gear from here.

Nov 14 12 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Drew Conerly wrote:
... I'm on a very strict budget, and I was wanting to get something used, but in working condition...for less than $225...

Buy some of those Chinese speedlights.  Most of my portfolio has been shot with speedlights.

Nov 14 12 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Drew Conerly wrote:
I've never seen any new or used Alien Bees light units on B&H Adorama, Fred Miranda or Amazon.  I remember seeing some auctions online for the units, but I can't recall the website.  I was hoping that someone knew of other online auctions like Ebay.  I'm on a very strict budget, and I was wanting to get something used, but in working condition...for less than $225.  I've seen a few B400s go for $150 on Ebay, but you have to be lucky to find good deals.  Every now and then a seller will mispell the brand name or post the item in a wrong category, but its rare that this happens.  I bought a lens from a seller on Ebay that mispelled the brand name, so a lot of people probably didn't even know the lens was for sale.

I think this paragraph proves you already have ultimate depth of knowledge, in fact you seem more knowledgeable than some of the responders. To summarize, as you point out, eBay is your best bet and at your budget point you'll just need to get extremely lucky on a regular auction or find a misspelling or improperly posted item.

I Googled photographic auctions and got 50,600,000 hits but I bet if one went through them nothing would top what you've stated. For example one British site came up cqout.com, I tried searching on Alien and nothing came up.

Nov 14 12 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I wanted to buy a bunch of these. They refused to ship anything other than UPS. Here in downtown Boston, UPS is horrible. So I walked over to Calumet and got something there. So if anyone ever has some used ones around Boston...

Nov 14 12 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

Buy new and buy direct from Alien Bees or Paul C Buff (all the same thing).  You'll have a warranty and know they haven't been beat to crap and you're unlikely to find used ones for much less than they are new.

Nov 15 12 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Image Works Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

FacadePhoto wrote:
I've been scouting Ebay for used Alien Bee monolights and the prices for used ones are so close to new that it's not worth it.  Might as well buy from Paul Buff

New B400 $224.95
New B800  $279.95
New B1600 $359.95

+1 These things retain their value so well that its better just to buy direct.

Nov 15 12 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

Some things it is wise to buy new - strobes is one of them.  As prices have come down so much on them.

Flash tubes if black show that they are near the end of their life and put out less light just like a ND filter.

Usually if the work they will continue to work for ever except for flash tubes and dumb mistakes.

when checking out used units - turn them on and let them reform the caps for 24 hours and then fire.

Make sure you are a safe distance from them.

I have seen unused 40 year old strobe come back to life.  (Ascor) over several days.   Fire it once and then let it rest.

personally I would ad to your Alien bee collection - at least I think I saw you use some several years ago..

Nov 15 12 07:37 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

those things sell for more used! lol

i love mine. i have three now. one i bought from buff and two i bought used from a local camera store.

network with local photographers. a photographer friend walked into our studio yesterday saying he had a white lightning to sell.

Nov 15 12 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

Drew Conerly wrote:
Other than the actual Alien Bees website, Craigslist and Ebay, are there any other online companies/auctions where I can purchase Alien Bees strobe units?

Also, if anyone has either of the B400 or B800 units that they would be willing to sale, please send me a message.

An MM regular has a kit of three for sale in the Market forum right now.

Nov 15 12 09:13 am Link