Model

Lindsay Ryan

Los Angeles, California, US

sooo a friend and I were thinking of auditioning for America's Next Top Model next month when they come to our city. I want to know, is it a joke to you or do they really go on to do better things? Is this show bad or good for an upcoming model?

Jun 04 11 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Lindsay Ryan wrote:
sooo a friend and I were thinking of auditioning for America's Next Top Model next month when they come to our city. I want to know, is it a joke to you or do they really go on to do better things? Is this show bad or good for an upcoming model?

It's a show that perpetuates the myth of what modeling supposedly is, and not what it really is.

It's a reality show set up to get viewers and ratings - not to help models.

I think most people in the business would consider it a joke.

Jun 04 11 09:44 am Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Greg Kolack wrote:

It's a show that perpetuates the myth of what modeling supposedly is, and not what it really is.

It's a reality show set up to get viewers and ratings - not to help models.

I think most people in the business would consider it a joke.

Thats what i was thinking. I honestly haven't really seen many of the girls from that show in ads. do you think they would of done better by just going to the angencies themselves?

Jun 04 11 09:48 am Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

It is a huge joke, and except for Anne, I don't think any of them have gone on to have successful careers. I did see a flash of Nicole from 13 on a cover girl ad though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTbAk0PCiDM

where are they now...
http://www.bellasugar.com/ANTM-Contesta … page=0,0,0

Jun 04 11 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

Thats what i was thinking. I honestly haven't really seen many of the girls from that show in ads. do you think they would of done better by just going to the angencies themselves?

The show makes them media stars, so naturally they are more valuable - at first - to an agency, since the agency stands to make money off of them. Whether they last in the business, though, remains to be seen.

If they would have been signed by an agency and been successful anyway is anyone's guess . Though my guess is more of them are chosen for the show more for their ability to create drama and attention to the show than their modeling talent.

To be honest, I have not kept up with the "careers" of any of the winners so I have no idea where they are at.

Remember though, those that even get on the show are a micro percentage of those who "auditioned."

Jun 04 11 09:54 am Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

so is it a bad career move??

Jun 04 11 09:54 am Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Greg Kolack wrote:

The show makes them media stars, so naturally they are more valuable - at first - to an agency, since the agency stands to make money off of them. Whether they last in the business, though, remains to be seen.

If they would have been signed by an agency and been successful anyway is anyone's guess . Though my guess is more of them are chosen for the show more for their ability to create drama and attention to the show than their modeling talent.

To be honest, I have not kept up with the "careers" of any of the winners so I have no idea where they are at.

Remember though, those that even get on the show are a micro percentage of those who "auditioned."

all so true!

Jun 04 11 09:55 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Make a videotape- the casting call is a waste of your time.

Do something ridiculous like set something on fire, and talk about how Tyra is fat.

It's a reality show, not a modeling show.

Jun 04 11 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Ed Devereaux

Woodland, Washington, US

If you are afraid of trying something new then you are wasting your youth. If you do not try out then you will always wonder "what if"? What is the worst that could happen, they say no. If they say yes then you have a chance to get some really good photos, free trip, experience, have some fun and maybe win.

I would love to hear from people who actually have experience working in the fashion and modeling industry in New York, LA, Paris, or Milan.

just my 2 cents but I think you should go for it!

Jun 04 11 10:04 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Daniela Victoria wrote:
Make a videotape- the casting call is a waste of your time.

Do something ridiculous like set something on fire, and talk about how Tyra is fat.

It's a reality show, not a modeling show.

+1

Also, having spoken to a couple of the girls who were on previous cycles, it actually made things more difficult for them to get signed to agencies, not easier... because most of the agencies don't want more than one former ANTM girl on their rosters.

They also said exactly what Daniela said above, it is about being on a reality show, not really exceptionally helpful in creating or advancing a career in modeling.

Yes, a couple have done okay after, like going on to TV after or marrying a Brady Bunch boy, but it really is just a reality show.

Jun 04 11 10:05 am Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Sabot Images wrote:
If you are afraid of trying something new then you are wasting your youth. If you do not try out then you will always wonder "what if"? What is the worst that could happen, they say no. If they say yes then you have a chance to get some really good photos, free trip, experience, have some fun and maybe win.

I would love to hear from people who actually have experience working in the fashion and modeling industry in New York, LA, Paris, or Milan.

just my 2 cents but I think you should go for it!

thats what i was thinking too but if it's a joke than it could end up really badly. I just want to know if models from that show are taken seriously or if that show kind of sets them back :\ I want to do it, but only if it doesn't affect my modeling career

Jun 04 11 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Ed Devereaux

Woodland, Washington, US

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

thats what i was thinking too but if it's a joke than it could end up really badly. I just want to know if models from that show are taken seriously or if that show kind of sets them back :\ I want to do it, but only if it doesn't affect my modeling career

Here is a question to ask yourself, where is your modeling career right now? Are you being booked for modeling and fashion gigs outside of your local area?

It is a reality show and people will either like you or hate you on the show but that is life anyway so who cares about the haters.

Jun 04 11 10:11 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Being on a reality show is helpful to you if you know how to use it correctly.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about that bridge until you get anywhere near crossing it.

Don't bother with the casting call- send in a tape if you really want to try your hand at this reality show.

Jun 04 11 10:12 am Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

thats another thing. there really isn't much here to do with modeling other than glamour things. It's not the kind of modeling i want to do but theres little to no jobs here to have money to go and travel for agencies so i do what i can with what i have. I agree but at the same time i do want to be taken seriously as a model.. not just some reality show reject :\

Jun 04 11 10:13 am Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Daniela Victoria wrote:
Being on a reality show is helpful to you if you know how to use it correctly.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about that bridge until you get anywhere near crossing it.

Don't bother with the casting call- send in a tape if you really want to try your hand at this reality show.

i've thought of this but they see so many tapes! I want to be remembered as the girl who met them in person and wowed them away you know?

Jun 04 11 10:14 am Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

The height requirement for ANTM is a minimum of 5'7"......you aren't their minimum requirement..

Jun 04 11 10:16 am Link

Photographer

David Kaley

Kenosha, Wisconsin, US

My wife and I have watched ANTM all along and are amazed at how bad some of them are at modeling when the series starts.  But, of course, it is television - not modeling.  What I do get out of the show is watching the amazing transformation great photographers, MUAs, and hair/clothing stylists make.

Will it possibly result in a huge career?  Not likely.  It reminds me of a very good model I worked with extensively several years ago.  She was doing very well for herself at modeling, but said “there is only one Revlon girl each year“ so I‘ll hope for the best but make sure I do well in college.   

As for auditioning, consider this - if you get picked and at least last a few weeks you will have a great portfolio (and bragging rights).  I suggest that quality of portfolio would be of tremendous value.  No matter how talented and beautiful you may be, first you have to be noticed to get a chance.  Your portfolio is primarily what gets you noticed.

Jun 04 11 10:21 am Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

they make exceptions and i know how to work with what i have. im actually a little over 5'6 more closely to 5'7 is what i've gotten but i don't like lying about my height.

Jun 04 11 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Reproduced from a TVGuide article.

http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/news/pau … -1125.html

Paulina stating what every ANTM fan knew in a new bitchy interview
Paulina Packs a Punch

You know times are tough when even reality show judges can’t keep their jobs. That’s exactly what happened to former supermodel Paulina Porizkova who announced on CBS' The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson this week that she will not be back on America’s Next Top Model thanks to a little downsizing. We caught up with her after Wednesday’s season finale to talk about Cycle 12’s winner, the show’s true losers and what it feels like to no longer be in the running to be a Top Model judge.

What did you think of Teyona’s win?
Well, I was there. I had a hand in it. But you know what? Honestly, now that I’m off the show I can actually say it. I didn’t vote for Teyona.

Who did you vote for?
Allison. Well, I’m not going to name names. But two of us voted for Allison and two of us voted for Teyona and one of us had to cross the line over to the other one.

Of the three finalists, who do you think is the most likely to have an actual modeling career?

None of them.

Really? That’s sad.
I know. I’m really very sorry. But they’re not models. Look at the history of Top Model. When has a winner not fallen down into that great big hole where the other sock goes? When? That’s because you can’t pick models from a TV show. Those tall, long giraffe things that don’t really look real are rare freaks of nature. And finding a freak of nature with a personality, that’s like finding a double freak of nature. So you’d have a TV show once every 10 years.

You announced this week that you aren’t coming back.
I didn’t announce that. I announced that I was fired on my birthday—April 9th They timed it beautifully.

Well, I was trying to be diplomatic.
Oh, yeah. I don’t think they meant anything ill [by doing it] on my birthday. They just didn’t check. They’re not bad people by any means. None of them. Not Tyra. Not the producers. And I actually had a really good time with Nigel and Ms. Jay and Mr. Jay. It was great. It was a really fun job.

Why did they let you go?
Well, they said that Top Model needs to trim the fat. So they cut me. It came as a little bit of a shock. I was a little upset that I was fired roughly four weeks before the new season was starting. I was being told to go have a physical for the show and then I got fired. I think they could have done that better.

Who is going to pick up your duties?
Oh, I’m sure they’ll have plenty of guest judges doing that stuff. Clearly they didn’t need me so they got rid of me. That’s pretty much the end of the story. And I am refusing to go the polite route of [saying] we had scheduling differences because, frankly, people get fired. I got fired. That’s the way it is.

Stupid recession.
Actually a lot of my friends from the show got booted, too. Makeup and hair people. And I shouldn’t say this because this sounds bitter. But if Tyra came in on time, they would save somebody’s salary. If she actually showed up on time for the judgings and they didn’t have to pay a lot of overtime, they would save a lot of money.

Was that the case even when you traveled?
Uh-huh.

Is this a cut that affects all CW shows or just Top Model?
I have no idea. But I assume it probably affects everything. But obviously Top Model is one of the top CW shows. So there are ways of arranging budgets if you don’t want to lose somebody. So it’s pretty clear that they didn’t so much mind losing me. That’s where my hurt ego comes in.

Do you think you did something to bring this on?
I did get pissy about Tyra being late a couple of times. I said, "I don’t think that’s right." And they told me I had a big ego. So maybe that had something to do with it.

So what do you have planned next?
Well, the nice thing about being fired is that after you get over the hurt part of I-can’t-believe-they-can-do-without-me, there’s a kind of freedom. I’ve been in L.A. all week beating doors for a job. “Hello, I’m available! Would you like to cast me in a TV show?”

If they ask you to come back as a guest judge would you go back?
No. I think there’s a little too much bad blood. I mean I don’t wish them ill. But do I want them to blossom without me? No. I’m not going to lie.

ere.

So they have to hide the fact that they were on the show?
Yeah. And if you’re a winner you can just flush yourself down the toilet. Unless you marry a Brady, in which case you have a career.

But some of the models, like Ya-Ya DaCosta, have found showbiz success.
Yes. Some of the ones who did not win have done much better than the winners for sure. But none of them have approached top model [status]. Out of the girls that we had this season: I think Aminat might have a future in shows because she’s a terrific walker, she has a great body, and she’s very tall. But that’s the closest anybody’s going to get to fashion.

Can you make a good living being a show model?
Used to be in the good ol’ days. But I don’t know now. She might have to do Starbucks on the side.

A lot of young girls look up to the show and it really hasn’t produced a top model.
They haven’t and they won’t. And now they’re doing the short girls. Like that’s ever going to catch on in fashion. It might be terrific TV. But it’s not about reality.

Jun 04 11 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Ed Devereaux

Woodland, Washington, US

Frances Jewel wrote:
The height requirement for ANTM is a minimum of 5'7"......you aren't their minimum requirement..

Good point, also check your portfolio and make sure every image shown is of great quality, poses and more fashion looks.

Jun 04 11 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Ed Devereaux

Woodland, Washington, US

Escalante wrote:
Reproduced from a TVGuide article.

http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/news/pau … -1125.html

Paulina stating what every ANTM fan knew in a new bitchy interview
Paulina Packs a Punch

You know times are tough when even reality show judges can’t keep their jobs. That’s exactly what happened to former supermodel Paulina Porizkova who announced on CBS' The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson this week that she will not be back on America’s Next Top Model thanks to a little downsizing. We caught up with her after Wednesday’s season finale to talk about Cycle 12’s winner, the show’s true losers and what it feels like to no longer be in the running to be a Top Model judge.

What did you think of Teyona’s win?
Well, I was there. I had a hand in it. But you know what? Honestly, now that I’m off the show I can actually say it. I didn’t vote for Teyona.

Who did you vote for?
Allison. Well, I’m not going to name names. But two of us voted for Allison and two of us voted for Teyona and one of us had to cross the line over to the other one.

Of the three finalists, who do you think is the most likely to have an actual modeling career?

None of them.

Really? That’s sad.
I know. I’m really very sorry. But they’re not models. Look at the history of Top Model. When has a winner not fallen down into that great big hole where the other sock goes? When? That’s because you can’t pick models from a TV show. Those tall, long giraffe things that don’t really look real are rare freaks of nature. And finding a freak of nature with a personality, that’s like finding a double freak of nature. So you’d have a TV show once every 10 years.

You announced this week that you aren’t coming back.
I didn’t announce that. I announced that I was fired on my birthday—April 9th They timed it beautifully.

Well, I was trying to be diplomatic.
Oh, yeah. I don’t think they meant anything ill [by doing it] on my birthday. They just didn’t check. They’re not bad people by any means. None of them. Not Tyra. Not the producers. And I actually had a really good time with Nigel and Ms. Jay and Mr. Jay. It was great. It was a really fun job.

Why did they let you go?
Well, they said that Top Model needs to trim the fat. So they cut me. It came as a little bit of a shock. I was a little upset that I was fired roughly four weeks before the new season was starting. I was being told to go have a physical for the show and then I got fired. I think they could have done that better.

Who is going to pick up your duties?
Oh, I’m sure they’ll have plenty of guest judges doing that stuff. Clearly they didn’t need me so they got rid of me. That’s pretty much the end of the story. And I am refusing to go the polite route of [saying] we had scheduling differences because, frankly, people get fired. I got fired. That’s the way it is.

Stupid recession.
Actually a lot of my friends from the show got booted, too. Makeup and hair people. And I shouldn’t say this because this sounds bitter. But if Tyra came in on time, they would save somebody’s salary. If she actually showed up on time for the judgings and they didn’t have to pay a lot of overtime, they would save a lot of money.

Was that the case even when you traveled?
Uh-huh.

Is this a cut that affects all CW shows or just Top Model?
I have no idea. But I assume it probably affects everything. But obviously Top Model is one of the top CW shows. So there are ways of arranging budgets if you don’t want to lose somebody. So it’s pretty clear that they didn’t so much mind losing me. That’s where my hurt ego comes in.

Do you think you did something to bring this on?
I did get pissy about Tyra being late a couple of times. I said, "I don’t think that’s right." And they told me I had a big ego. So maybe that had something to do with it.

So what do you have planned next?
Well, the nice thing about being fired is that after you get over the hurt part of I-can’t-believe-they-can-do-without-me, there’s a kind of freedom. I’ve been in L.A. all week beating doors for a job. “Hello, I’m available! Would you like to cast me in a TV show?”

If they ask you to come back as a guest judge would you go back?
No. I think there’s a little too much bad blood. I mean I don’t wish them ill. But do I want them to blossom without me? No. I’m not going to lie.

ere.

So they have to hide the fact that they were on the show?
Yeah. And if you’re a winner you can just flush yourself down the toilet. Unless you marry a Brady, in which case you have a career.

But some of the models, like Ya-Ya DaCosta, have found showbiz success.
Yes. Some of the ones who did not win have done much better than the winners for sure. But none of them have approached top model [status]. Out of the girls that we had this season: I think Aminat might have a future in shows because she’s a terrific walker, she has a great body, and she’s very tall. But that’s the closest anybody’s going to get to fashion.

Can you make a good living being a show model?
Used to be in the good ol’ days. But I don’t know now. She might have to do Starbucks on the side.

A lot of young girls look up to the show and it really hasn’t produced a top model.
They haven’t and they won’t. And now they’re doing the short girls. Like that’s ever going to catch on in fashion. It might be terrific TV. But it’s not about reality.

Wow, great read. I take it she was not very happy. Sounds like a disgruntled former employee or girlfriend who was dumped for her best friend. Hell, last I checked Snookie had a book, photo shoots and hosts WWE events. Now, nothing could be more embarrassing than being on Jersey Shore could there?

Jun 04 11 10:30 am Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

Sabot Images wrote:

Wow, great read. I take it she was not very happy. Sounds like a disgruntled former employee or girlfriend who was dumped for her best friend. Hell, last I checked Snookie had a book, photo shoots and hosts WWE events. Now, nothing could be more embarrassing than being on Jersey Shore could there?

she is just being honest though...

Jun 04 11 10:32 am Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Frances Jewel wrote:

she is just being honest though...

lol we have to give MTV an award for those shows

Jun 04 11 10:36 am Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Sabot Images wrote:

Good point, also check your portfolio and make sure every image shown is of great quality, poses and more fashion looks.

they make exceptions and i know how to work with what i have. im actually a little over 5'6 more closely to 5'7 is what i've gotten but i don't like lying about my height. I don't want to piss anyone off by saying im one thing when im not :\ but yeah im working on a sort of "kate moss" look right now. of course doing it the healthy way lol. i've gone vegan and its done well!

Jun 04 11 10:37 am Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

lol we have to give MTV an award for those shows

I was speaking of Paulina's views of ANTM...

Jun 04 11 10:40 am Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Frances Jewel wrote:

I was speaking of Paulina's views of ANTM...

my mistake

Jun 04 11 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Ed Devereaux

Woodland, Washington, US

In the end it all boils down to your look and skills at modeling. No matter what kind of exposure you have the person who has the job books what they are looking for.

Jun 04 11 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

Even, if you were tall enough, you don't have a strong enough look for fashion.
Agency or ANTM...

Jun 04 11 10:49 am Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Philipe wrote:

Even, if you were tall enough, you don't have a strong enough look for fashion.
Agency or ANTM...

I've done fashion shows before. I sort of agree but at the same time I've never had a chance to have a "strong look." i was hired for most shows because of my natural look. a lot of the agents told me i look young but i'm not sure. I myself agree with you though

Jun 04 11 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Ed Devereaux

Woodland, Washington, US

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

I've done fashion shows before. I sort of agree but at the same time I've never had a chance to have a "strong look." i was hired for most shows because of my natural look. a lot of the agents told me i look young but i'm not sure. I myself agree with you though

Playing white night, the only person who knows if you have a strong enough look is the person hiring. I can pick on the photo quality of your port and think you can make better shots for your portfolio. I know I always can, that is why I shoot as much as I can.

Jun 04 11 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Lindsay Ryan wrote:
they make exceptions and i know how to work with what i have. im actually a little over 5'6 more closely to 5'7 is what i've gotten but i don't like lying about my height.

It's not a healthy thing to live by the "they make exceptions" mantra.

Jun 04 11 11:04 am Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Sabot Images wrote:

Playing white night, the only person who knows if you have a strong enough look is the person hiring. I can pick on the photo quality of your port and think you can make better shots for your portfolio. I know I always can, that is why I shoot as much as I can.

I totally agree with you too! and it's really hard to find very good photographers here that i don't have to drive 7 hours too (gas isn't exactly cheap :p ) but yes i can do better. that's why most of the time i book gigs by going there in person and letting them see me for who i am rather then some cruddy photos lol. but hopefully i can get the ball rolling soon! I actually stopped modeling for a while because my mom became ill but now that she's better i'm starting to focus more on myself and my image and modeling smile

Jun 04 11 11:04 am Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Greg Kolack wrote:

It's not a healthy thing to live by the "they make exceptions" mantra.

i'm not sure if i understand?

Jun 04 11 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

i've thought of this but they see so many tapes! I want to be remembered as the girl who met them in person and wowed them away you know?

To be completely blunt, the chances of that - in person or on tape - are very small.

However, in person you have a much better chance to act like a diva bitch from hell, which may be exactly what they are looking for...

But then again, if you want to be taken seriously, do you want the entire country to think that about you?

Jun 04 11 11:07 am Link

Model

Not here anymo

London, England, United Kingdom

well if you did happen to make it to ANTM it wouldn't hurt your
Aspirations in a fashion modelling career any more than being 5'6" will .

Jun 04 11 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Lindsay Ryan wrote:

i'm not sure if i understand?

To think that rare exceptions are made for others so there is a chance they will make it for you only leads you live with unrealistic expectations and hopes.

It's known as the "Kate Moss syndrome" here on MM.

Kate is one in a million, and way too many young models point to her and say "She is short and is a supermodel, so there is no reason I can't be."

Jun 04 11 11:09 am Link

Photographer

PETER GEORGAS

Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada

David Kaley wrote:
My wife and I have watched ANTM all along and are amazed at how bad some of them are at modeling when the series starts.  But, of course, it is television - not modeling.  What I do get out of the show is watching the amazing transformation great photographers, MUAs, and hair/clothing stylists make.

Will it possibly result in a huge career?  Not likely.  It reminds me of a very good model I worked with extensively several years ago.  She was doing very well for herself at modeling, but said “there is only one Revlon girl each year“ so I‘ll hope for the best but make sure I do well in college.   

As for auditioning, consider this - if you get picked and at least last a few weeks you will have a great portfolio (and bragging rights).  I suggest that quality of portfolio would be of tremendous value.  No matter how talented and beautiful you may be, first you have to be noticed to get a chance.  Your portfolio is primarily what gets you noticed.

.....+ 1 !!

Jun 04 11 11:13 am Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

okay well since i am around 5'7, im between it and 5'6 but much closer to 5'7 do you think i should change my height?

Jun 04 11 11:15 am Link

Model

Lindsay Ryan

Greg Kolack wrote:

To think that rare exceptions are made for others so there is a chance they will make it for you only leads you live with unrealistic expectations and hopes.

It's known as the "Kate Moss syndrome" here on MM.

Kate is one in a million, and way too many young models point to her and say "She is short and is a supermodel, so there is no reason I can't be."

well the thing is, well what i've heard, the standards from here and europe are so vastly different. i actually am considering applying for over there as well. and i know what you mean. people don't realize that she was hired so young, i read they thought she'd grow but since she didn't they had to use her with what they could. i'm not saying i want to be her, i'm saying i'm working on having a look similar to hers. we call it the NY look here. it's catching.

I don't mind if i don't make it. i'll just keep pushing until i do. maybe for some people it's not. but i take my turn downs with pride. not everyone is meant for certain projects. If i'm not what they are looking for i simply try the next thing.

Photographer

Ed Devereaux

Woodland, Washington, US

David Kaley wrote:

Oh good, I am not the only one. +1