Forums > Newbie Forum > Ready to Quit MM

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Curious replies.   OP the universe isn't telling you anything.   A few models haven't come through but I see one who left you a Tag who did.   I guess the universe got her excited about shooting with you.   Lets not make this about what you say or your work or your written profile because in most cases models aren't reading or looking at your work.   I've had models tell me that didn't want to the lingerie shots I have in my profile when, I have no lingerie anything.

Its simply a numbers game.   Look on Craigslist.   Look on OMP.   Travel a bit.   Maybe as a poster mentioned ask others about possible models.   I don't do that but that may help.   Money is a option but at your stage I would say, no.   Think this way.   When all you are offering are photos no matter how pretty they might be may not be enough to get them to come.   Some aren't shooting.   Some only want money.   Some aren't active anymore.   Most of all relax.   Try not to take yourself or this too seriously.   You'll find willing models.   You already have.

Dec 12 11 11:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Vaugn Makeup

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't agree about CL...unless you want to be inundated with hookers and girls who have no business modeling. Also, even when I was desperate enough to look for work off CL, the guard is up completely and you'll be treated differently by girls qualified to be hired for modeling jobs, when, in your experience, they show up at all.

Real deal is you're so undeveloped you don't have a perceived worth yet. As you grow and develop, you will be more widely known and girls will what what you have (if you stick with it).

Just know you havent earned your rights yet. Maybe go to some workshops or book models you might know through a third party so there is automatically social incentives for her to follow through and you automatically are seen as safe and a good person if a friend tells her about you.

Don't think just because you hold a camera you will have some automatic right to get people to show up.

Dec 12 11 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

1st Stop Photo wrote:
I started my page to get some shots for a class I was taking. I did get some location shoots and some studio shots. Every time I contact a model about doing a shoot, they don't answer. The other option has been to agree to a time and place for a shoot; and not show up or cancel the day of the shoot. I'm fed up and ready to cancel my page.

If you want to quit, then quit. When I started shooting model in 2004, I had a very hard time getting models to shoot with me. I wound up shooting with anyone that would shoot with me just for the practice. As my work got better, I started attracting models. It's not going to happen overnight. The key is to keep improving and models will seek you out. It's called perseverance.

Dec 12 11 12:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Vaugn Makeup

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Curious replies.

Sweet Jesus, you changed your avi... I didn't recognize you with the new look...lol

Dec 12 11 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

New Dawn Photography wrote:
Back in the day I did door-to-door sales. You don't know what rejection is until you've had that pleasure! But it was a numbers game. Every "No" meant that you were one step closer to a "Yes" and the more you pressed on and learned, the more often you heard "Yes".

Yep!  It's a numbers game.

Let me tell you a true story.  I used to work for a company where the two partners would each ante up $5.00 once a week and give the $10.00 to their secretary to play the lottery for them with the understanding that all three would share whatever winnings they had.  One week partner A had a meeting that morning and didn't get his $5.00 in.  Wouldn't you know, that was the week they hit for $10 million, so partner B and the secretary split the jackpot.

Like they say, you gotta be in it to win it.  Dumping a resource like MM won't gain you anything, it will only lock in your losses.  Don't fret the ones that don't show or don't answer.  Just do your best with the ones with whom you do connect.

All IMHO, as always

EDIT:  Just for the heck of it, I just browsed a 50 mile radius of Dalzell.  There are 466 female models 18 or older.  Have you sent each of them a politely phrased PM listing 2 or 3 concepts that you think would be good for them?  Might work.  To get you started, here are the results of the search:  https://www.modelmayhem.com/browse/resu … _counter=6

Dec 12 11 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

DG at studio47

East Ridge, Tennessee, US

New Dawn Photography wrote:
Back in the day I did door-to-door sales. You don't know what rejection is until you've had that pleasure! But it was a numbers game. Every "No" meant that you were one step closer to a "Yes" and the more you pressed on and learned, the more often you heard "Yes".

the 'law' of business-regardless of the game. no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...YES.
J.C. Penny got turned down by everyone to finance his idea for a store. He just kept going and going and.....looks like it paid off! Colonel Sanders did not even start Kentucky Fried Chicken until his later years. Big Risk? yeah. Payoff? oh yeah! Zig Ziegler failed at every business he started--every single one. He was 45 when he finally made it. from there he became one of the world's most sought after motivational speakers.

Dec 12 11 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

G D Peters Photography

North Platte, Nebraska, US

If you have a Facebook account you may wish to try there also.  There are many models who use Facebook to network, many not having a MM account.

Dec 12 11 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i got two models from CL off a casting where no one responded on mayhem. one was amazing (just a natural beauty) and has since joined mayhem. the other was a camera-shy dancer (go figure).

Jessica Covalla  wrote:
I don't agree about CL...unless you want to be inundated with hookers and girls who have no business modeling. Also, even when I was desperate enough to look for work off CL, the guard is up completely and you'll be treated differently by girls qualified to be hired for modeling jobs, when, in your experience, they show up at all.

Dec 12 11 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

hartcons wrote:
also the OP could consider strip clubs. in fact i handed a card out last night to a dancer. just stay away from the dances. those girls are pros and will clean out your bank account faster than the friction dance can make you ...

I couldn't endorse this notion for the OP at all. Just because they're not at the club, doesn't mean they still don't act as mercenaries.

Dec 12 11 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Mosttry

Kevin Russo Photography wrote:
Model Mayhem, is like a business it takes time to establish credibility.

flakes happen to everyone, as your portfolio grows and gets better, more people will respond and show up.

Do you quit everything so easily?

Kevin Russo -Photographer
www.KR-Photos.Com

Oh, Kev.  You were being so helpful till the end.

- It takes time to establish credibility
- Flakes happen to everyone.

True dat.  Stay strong!

Dec 12 11 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

it's a different world but it is one popular source of models (at least around here where we have the most strip clubs per capita than anywhere else in the country and little girls grow up dreaming about pole dances rather than ponies). and some of these dancers are also nude models. so far i haven't had any problem with the dancers when they are in model mode.

plus, a model you find on mayhem may be a dancer and just doesn't mention it when she's in model mode. so if you're going to work with internet models it's definitely a possibility.

Cherrystone wrote:
I couldn't endorse this notion for the OP at all. Just because they're not at the club, doesn't mean they still don't act as mercenaries.

Dec 12 11 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

TP DOUGLAS

-Jen- wrote:
If you're going to come into this thread and not contribute something, you'll be in the brig.
No reason to be mean to the newbies.

Joined:    Jan 24, 2010       I think as a MOD you need to play this thread away from the NEWBIE. OP has been here almost 2 years.

Dec 12 11 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

TP DOUGLAS wrote:

Joined:    Jan 24, 2010       I think as a MOD you need to play this thread away from the NEWBIE. OP has been here almost 2 years.

For forum purposes, newbie is generally less than 100 posts, doesn't matter how long one has been onsite.

Dec 12 11 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Scottsworld71

Mount Vernon, Ohio, US

-Jen- wrote:
If you're going to come into this thread and not contribute something, you'll be in the brig.
No reason to be mean to the newbies.

He's been here for 2 years. just sayin

Dec 12 11 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

hartcons wrote:
it's a different world but it is one popular source of models (at least around here where we have the most strip clubs per capita than anywhere else in the country and little girls grow up dreaming about pole dances rather than ponies). and some of these dancers are also nude models. so far i haven't had any problem with the dancers when they are in model mode.

plus, a model you find on mayhem may be a dancer and just doesn't mention it when she's in model mode. so if you're going to work with internet models it's definitely a possibility.

I've worked with 100's of models in the last 11 years.There are exceptions, not many. What you may consider problems, and what I consider problems could easily be different.

No...there is a real good chance I will know.

Dec 12 11 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

TP DOUGLAS

Cherrystone wrote:

For forum purposes, newbie is generally less than 100 posts, doesn't matter how long one has been onsite.

The person has been here almost two years...IF they cannot take advantage of you and me and ask around and use MM for their own benefit. Two years...everyone old is new again!!! lol

Makes zero sense to me to have all this for one's advantage and you never use it. It is as simplistic as that.  AND no..I don't buy your theory. 2 years is a long time here.

Dec 12 11 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

To op, get good and they will come to you. You build it, they will come.

There are many exceptional creative artists here. All you need to do and is get close to what they do and your phone will be ringing off the hook (I mean your inbox will be filling up faster than you can empty it).

Dec 12 11 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

TP DOUGLAS wrote:

The person has been here almost two years...IF they cannot take advantage of you and me and ask around and use MM for their own benefit. Two years...everyone old is new again!!! lol

Makes zero sense to me to have all this for one's advantage and you never use it. It is as simplistic as that.  AND no..I don't buy your theory. 2 years is a long time here.

and OP went to two Photography Schools....

Stewart Rogers School of Photography, Chicago, IL
New York Institute of Photography

Dec 12 11 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

TP DOUGLAS wrote:

Ain't my fooken theory, it's been discussed in SR more than once. Take it up with the MODS.

Dec 12 11 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

JAE

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

If you want to do this as a hobby you have to be very patient and not let things get to you.  Even some of the best photographers on here get a cancellation or flake every now and then.  It just comes with working with internet models.

Dec 12 11 01:52 pm Link