Forums > Photography Talk > Urban Nudes

Photographer

Rhea Anne Myers

Seattle, Washington, US

Occasionally I come across urban nude shots and I'm wondering, how you do this. Is it post editing, do you get a special nude in public pass. I don't mean for this to sound like a joke but I'm really curious.

Feb 25 12 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Bills Imagination Photo

Kansas City, Missouri, US

You shoot fast and run. No joke, I am serious.

Bill

Feb 25 12 08:06 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

It really depends on what you're shooting and who you are
Spencer Tunic
https://www.spencertunick.com/images/landing/index_r5_c13.jpg

Feb 25 12 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Ken Weinrich

Newton, New Jersey, US

Guerrilla style run and gun shooting.

Feb 25 12 08:11 am Link

Photographer

MJ McGuire

New York, New York, US

Scout the location well in advance. Shoot the location sans model. Sketch out the pose(s). Rescout the location within 24 hours of the shoot, preferably at the same time of day as the scheduled shoot. Model is wearing easy-off/easy-on clothing. Shoot and move.

If done right, the model is nude for less than 60 seconds.

Feb 25 12 08:12 am Link

Photographer

jonaswahlin

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Do it early in the morning, fast. http://art.jonaswahlin.com/sn/sn.html

Feb 25 12 08:26 am Link

Photographer

PTPhotoUT

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

shoot and scoot

Unless you live in Oregon where public nudity is OK as long as it is nonsexual (any hint of sexuallity is generally not tolerated), or San Francisco as long as you put something down on a public bench before placing a bare bum on it. If your production causes a scene, however, you can be cited for disturbing the peace.

Get caught your third time in Utah, and it is a felony.

Feb 25 12 08:32 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

we shot a set for zivity in an elevator the other day. the building is a mix of retail shops, studios and apartments and it's usually pretty quiet on sundays. we shot for a couple hours in the basement and didn't see anyone. we did have a lookout and a couple times we had to jump out of the elevator because a resident needed to go up to their apartment.

we did a test shoot in a different elevator and a lawyer came out and asked us if we were taking pictures of her client who just happened to get out of the elevator when i had my camera pointed at the door.

the times i've heard of photographers being hauled off to jail had to do with railroad tracks more than shooting nudes (except for the very public ones they do in NY).

Feb 25 12 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

See: Gary Breckheimer

Great stuff.

Feb 25 12 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Most I've seen is shoot & scoot.

I've seen public urban nudes done during San Francisco's Gay Pride Parade (during which all sorts of sights are tolerated).

Feb 25 12 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

Spend a couple of weekends scouting around warehouse locations in the morning, or the time you're planning on doing the urban nudes. Once you find a few quiet spots bring the model with a quick "on/off" outfit and start shooting for about 15-20 sec. per spot and keep on moving around in that area until you're done.

Gabby

Feb 25 12 09:32 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Bills Imagination Photo wrote:
You shoot fast and run. No joke, I am serious.

Bill

Ditto

Feb 25 12 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Leggy Mountbatten

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Yep. Shoot fast. Having a sixth sense about when to stop really helps, too.

Some examples of mine:
http://13photo.tumblr.com/tagged/public-nudity

18+, needless to say. wink

Feb 25 12 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Jhono Bashian

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Shoot and move and don't get busted. 

It may help to have an assistant as a look out for people, cops or park rangers.

A buddy of mine got busted shooting a nude model in a metro park. The photo gear was confiscated and the model got a $500.00 fine. The photographer paid the fine and eventually got his camera back with the CF card in tact with the images. That was the right thing for him to do!

Feb 25 12 09:48 am Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Nicholas Myers wrote:
Occasionally I come across urban nude shots and I'm wondering, how you do this. Is it post editing, do you get a special nude in public pass. I don't mean for this to sound like a joke but I'm really curious.

Lots of ways:

1.  Shoot fast.  Sometimes with an elaborate setup (lookouts) sometime quick and dirty (as in:  show up, look around, models loses trench coat, shoot 3 poses in 10 seconds, coat goes on and you stroll away)

2.  Shoot at the right time.  Go to office parks or sports venues when they aren't busy (sports venue in the morning or off-season, office parks on a Sunday morning).  Go to a university when it's on spring break.  One model I have shot a lot with worked with another photographer and posed nude on the Capital Mall (i.e.: US Capital building in the background).

3.  Angle.  You can pose a model and shoot her so it appears to be public but she's at an angle where almost no-one sees.  I did a series of shoots with a model spread-eagled or posing in a large window next to a major road.  But all the drivers had their eyes on the road (not on the window 3 stories above the road).  I got a number of shots with the nude model and a series of headlights streaming behind her or a line of cars...apparently very public.  But no-one called us in.

4.  Appropriate venue.  You could go to a major adult park in a city in spring (when you'll see people laying out sunning themselves with walkers off in the distance) and if the model is on the ground, you can probably get away with some nudity for a limited amount of time.

5.  Be brazen.  Don't care if people see you.  Heck, maybe the model is an exhibitionist (one of my favorite models likes to boast about how she caused a traffic accident at one shoot...no-one was hurt but headlights and bumpers were left  at the intersection by two cars).  The idea here is strip down, shoot and then get out of dodge before the cops show up.

BTW, I'm an absolute stickler about:
--nothing that exposes someone in front of young kids.  A ticket is one thing, ending up on a sex criminal's list is another.
--the model needs to be completely informed, aware and on-board.

Ed

Feb 25 12 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Same rules as in a drive-by.......shoot fast and run. I do it at a time where the public is limited. Sometimes I ask permission/rent the space but leave out the nude model part. I usually just plan it so no one is around. Done it from bars, theaters, museums, restaurants, train stations, subways, airports, playgrounds, parking lots, churches, hotels and once, and I'm ashamed of this, at a photo school.

Feb 25 12 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

Jhono Bashian wrote:
It may help to have an assistant as a look out for people, cops or park rangers.

^  +1

Feb 25 12 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

BTW, a quick story about a shoot in public space (a national park).  I was shooting nudes with a model.  She was not visible from the road.  Suddenly a park ranger vehicle pulls up and two uniformed rangers get out and start strolling over to me.  I yell out "quick, Noelle--we've got company!" and they immediately break out into a sprint towards me (Noelle just barely got her sundress thrown on before they arrived).  They spent 30 minutes checking her ID, checking my ID, confirming our stories (apart from each other).  They let us off with a warning (no, I didn't have a permit to shoot in the park) about being careful not to be seen and the words I've always remembered:  "we came running over b/c it sounded like you had something to hide.  We thought it might have been a drug deal going down or a rape or some kind of crime.  We get a lot of that kind of stuff."

So at the start of any outdoor shoot in public space, I tell my model that the code word is "Time."  If anyone sees company approaching, we say "time" and that means "get clothes on and act normal."

Ed

Feb 25 12 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Studio 84 Photography

Paterson, New Jersey, US

afplcc wrote:
BTW, a quick story about a shoot in public space (a national park).  I was shooting nudes with a model.  She was not visible from the road.  Suddenly a park ranger vehicle pulls up and two uniformed rangers get out and start strolling over to me.  I yell out "quick, Noelle--we've got company!" and they immediately break out into a sprint towards me (Noelle just barely got her sundress thrown on before they arrived).  They spent 30 minutes checking her ID, checking my ID, confirming our stories (apart from each other).  They let us off with a warning (no, I didn't have a permit to shoot in the park) about being careful not to be seen and the words I've always remembered:  "we came running over b/c it sounded like you had something to hide.  We thought it might have been a drug deal going down or a rape or some kind of crime.  We get a lot of that kind of stuff."

So at the start of any outdoor shoot in public space, I tell my model that the code word is "Time."  If anyone sees company approaching, we say "time" and that means "get clothes on and act normal."

Ed

Rofl! " it's the fuzz, break!!!"

Feb 25 12 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Shoot a two-fer.  Have the model wear a easy on/off outfit

Get things set up - shoot it clothed - get everything set while model is clothed. focus/marks/lighting/ composition etc.

Then it's "Hand me your dress"  *click-click-click* and "here's your dress".  You say "here's your dress" as you are both walking to the car.  And you are gone.

This shot was near the highway and a busy side road.  The difficulty is that normally you don't want to draw attention to yourself - in this case it could not be helped.

She was nude for perhaps 20 seconds.

if you blinked - you missed it

18+https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/0 … ea15cc.jpg

Feb 26 12 07:41 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

one thing I'd recommend...besides all of the above:
I'd NEVER put a model at risk of being arrested. If she came to ME and asked me to shoot something similar to above (run and gun shoot) I'd consider it...however, I'll not put a model at risk of arrest just to get a TF shoot in.

Feb 26 12 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dean

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Get up early on a Sunday in Montreal smile

Feb 26 12 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Peter Dean wrote:

Yep, early sunday morning in any cities, the streets are you to use.

Feb 26 12 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Forty Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Great photos in your gallery!

Leggy Mountbatten wrote:

Some examples of mine:

Feb 26 12 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

MC Grain

New York, New York, US

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
It really depends on what you're shooting and who you are
Spencer Tunic
https://www.spencertunick.com/images/landing/index_r5_c13.jpg

Wow!

His images are pretty much never my taste, but the scope and organization is always pretty impressive.

Feb 27 12 11:03 am Link

Photographer

MC Grain

New York, New York, US

I've shot for 20 minutes in the same location in NYC. I prefer to shoot at night even with clothed shoots. While I think that there's nothing wrong with public nudity, I think don't think people who are bothered by it should be forced to see it. So the simple solution is to shoot in a way that's considerate to the people around you or who may be around you and that will lead to to shooting in a way that's not problematic.

Feb 27 12 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Or....

...work with a model that knows where to shoot nude.

This was taken at one of the Cotswolds 'places of interest'. Although my assitant on the day did also keep a watch out.

18+ https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 77560f.jpg

Feb 27 12 11:19 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm old as dirt, I just tell "them" I didn't realize she was nekid  .  .  .  wink  Runnin' ain't really an option on these knees  .  .  .

SOS

Feb 27 12 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

MC Grain wrote:
I've shot for 20 minutes in the same location in NYC. I prefer to shoot at night even with clothed shoots. While I think that there's nothing wrong with public nudity, I think don't think people who are bothered by it should be forced to see it. So the simple solution is to shoot in a way that's considerate to the people around you or who may be around you and that will lead to to shooting in a way that's not problematic.

Nice to shoot in NYC is that the people are so used to seeing crazy stuff, nothing will shock them.  Most of them are just minding their own business and walk fast and away from you.  Only tourists will stick their heads out and look.  smile

Feb 27 12 11:33 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Peter Dean wrote:

except for Ste-Catherine east of St-Hubert...

Feb 27 12 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Purnell

Wilmington, Delaware, US

This is an interesting thread and glad I stumbled upon it as I have a model/friend who likes to pose nude or topless or bottomless in public. I have been scouting locations to shoot her here in the area. Many of you have mentioned some very public places but weren't you worried with security cameras catching in you in the act? I guess by doing a site survey a day before the shoot that should be something to consider.

Feb 29 12 08:15 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

but aren't you taking some risk shooting a model nude in public? and a lot of nude shoots do seem to happen in public, sometimes on private property. that's part of the appeal i suppose. the risk inherent in the shot. but i have seen model profiles where they state "no public nudes"

we did an elevator shoot the other day for zivity and didn't have any problems but if someone had complained who knows.

i've heard about more arrests for railroad tracks than nudes. the guys who do nudes on railroad tracks are definitely risk-takers.

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
one thing I'd recommend...besides all of the above:
I'd NEVER put a model at risk of being arrested. If she came to ME and asked me to shoot something similar to above (run and gun shoot) I'd consider it...however, I'll not put a model at risk of arrest just to get a TF shoot in.

Feb 29 12 08:20 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i wondered about that for our elevator shoot. good reason not to have logos all over your gear!

Chuck Purnell wrote:
Many of you have mentioned some very public places but weren't you worried with security cameras catching in you in the act? I guess by doing a site survey a day before the shoot that should be something to consider.

Feb 29 12 08:23 am Link

Photographer

toesup

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

Leggy Mountbatten wrote:

Some examples of mine:

Wonderful work!

Feb 29 12 08:53 am Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

hartcons wrote:
but aren't you taking some risk shooting a model nude in public? and a lot of nude shoots do seem to happen in public, sometimes on private property. that's part of the appeal i suppose. the risk inherent in the shot. but i have seen model profiles where they state "no public nudes"

we did an elevator shoot the other day for zivity and didn't have any problems but if someone had complained who knows.

i've heard about more arrests for railroad tracks than nudes. the guys who do nudes on railroad tracks are definitely risk-takers.

Many urban elevators for commercial establishments (i.e.: not a condo) will have security cameras.

As for the risk of security cameras in public, that's increasingly becoming an issue.  I think there are two things to think of in that situation:  (1) don't shoot for a long time in one location.  Unless you're in the plaza in front of a major hotel, response time is usually slow.  So shoot and then boogie.  (2) get a feel for the jurisdiction.  I'm near Washington DC.  Shooting near a Federal building (even during weird hours) is likely to get a response.  Fairfax City (which is inside Fairfax County) is far more conservative about this sort of thing (passer-by noticed a nude Sie ist Idaho in a third story window and called it in to the police in Fairfax City).  Fairfax City had a recent court case where a man was sued for indecent exposure for being nude in his own house (but the drapes weren't closed).  OTOH, though I'm careful I've had numerous interactions with the Fairfax County police and (knock on wood) no tickets or even a harsh conversation. So you get a feel for the jurisdiction...are they sticklers for writing tickets or not, is public nudity a big issue or just kind of a nuisance thing? 

Ed

Feb 29 12 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Chuck Purnell

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Forty Photography wrote:
Great photos in your gallery!

Nice images you have in your tumblr feed!! Were these some models you had worked with before and were comfortable with shedding off their clothes for the shoot or were these some models that knew from the get go they wanted to do public nudity shots?

Jan 02 13 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

I just want to say one thing:  You might think that Sunday morning is the perfect time to shoot in a graveyard because everyone will be at church.  They.  Won't.  Be.

Jan 02 13 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Jan 02 13 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

What's that wild parade they have in San Francisco?  Maybe it's the Gay Pride Parade.  I've seen a lot of street nudes in the parade itself, and I've seen photographers take nude models out during the parade -- I guess the parade acts as a distraction.

Jan 02 13 06:16 pm Link

Model

Boston Artist Model

Boston, Massachusetts, US

It is my greatest aspiration to someday have the opportunity to pose for a nude in public shoot

Jan 02 13 06:23 pm Link