Photographer

HIGHTISTIC

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Ok guys I have been working on something and I would like to get some feedback on what you all think and what I could do better.

Now I am not saying this is some ground breaking earth shattering stuff lol This is just something that I have been playing with and that I like and would like to get some info about how the process is progressing and what I could focus on to make it better:)
So it started out from here
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120109/18/4f0b9ca9dd493.jpg

But I wanted something that I could use in a different way. So I blended my stuff from my darkness with some other ideas and came up with the following images

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120403/22/4f7be076c8d83.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120403/22/4f7bdf6fe4a5c.jpg

Then I made some changes and ended up with
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120403/22/4f7bdc8da4494.jpg

Well along the way I made a couple changes and this is my most recent
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120625/10/4fe8a01488ce4.jpg

I know this is a lot of images but I would like to get any constructive criticism anyone is willing to shoot my way. Thank you for your time, Trent

Edit: I should of included this so you could know the intent in my head:) lol

I want an almost painted style image but with detail lol I know that sounds kind of counter to both of those editing styles but I'm not going for a high fashion look but rather like a weird hybrid:)

I took a lot of the blurring phases out in between images two and 3 well actually I took the blooming of the mid tones out:)

Jun 25 12 10:42 am Link

Photographer

-Ira

New York, New York, US

I'd ease up on the editing.  Your skin is blurred out, lacking detail.

Jun 25 12 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

HIGHTISTIC

Anchorage, Alaska, US

IraMonko wrote:
I'd ease up on the editing.  Your skin is blurred out, lacking detail.

Yeah well I want an almost painted style image but with detail lol I know that sounds kind of counter to both of those editing styles but I'm not going for a high fashion look but rather like a weird hybrid:)

I took a lot of the blurring phases out in between images two and 3 well actually I took the blooming of the mid tones out:)

Jun 25 12 12:48 pm Link

Retoucher

Ken Fournelle

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

Keep working at it.  You may have something there.  I would also be a bit more selective of where you should go for critiques.  I'm not sure this is the right place.
k

Jun 25 12 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

HIGHTISTIC

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Ken Fournelle wrote:
Keep working at it.  You may have something there.  I would also be a bit more selective of where you should go for critiques.  I'm not sure this is the right place.
k

Hmmmm... I was thinking it is a blend between digital painting and traditional retouching kind of lol so I figured in the MM community this would be a good section. But that being said where would you recommend?

Jun 25 12 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Brick Wilson

Palatine, Illinois, US

-First issue is your message is mixed. You've got pinup photos with a bikini model, but are trying to do dark gloomy FX with them. The styles clash and the result is a jumble. If you want a hybrid style, use lighting, costume and background to get it instead of just adding lots of black.

-The top photo is the most interesting by far. Part of it may be my monitor, but it's hard to make out the line of her right leg since it's all in shadow. Seeing more of the face will help too.

Jun 26 12 08:23 am Link

Photographer

HIGHTISTIC

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Brick Wilson wrote:
-First issue is your message is mixed. You've got pinup photos with a bikini model, but are trying to do dark gloomy FX with them. The styles clash and the result is a jumble. If you want a hybrid style, use lighting, costume and background to get it instead of just adding lots of black.

-The top photo is the most interesting by far. Part of it may be my monitor, but it's hard to make out the line of her right leg since it's all in shadow. Seeing more of the face will help too.

Hmmm... Sorry I guess I wasn't clear the first photo is from my darkness series that pic just sold for 3500 for a 22x26 so I'm not too worried about it:)

But yeah I guess I could of been more clearer:)

edit: I just re-read that and I just wanted to make sure it didnt come off wrong. I didnt mean it to sound snippy or anything I was just maybe being a bit too short with my response and was just trying to say that I didnt make it clear enough on my part that the first image was not part of what I was looking to get critiqued. I used it as an example so that I could better (well I tried) explain where I was getting the ideas from and then show how it has been developing over the last month or so. But I think that I got some good feedback in here and in PMs that I can run with so thank you to all:)

Jun 26 12 06:35 pm Link

Retoucher

PhotoVision

New York, New York, US

The images look heavily retouched, but not necessarily in a good way. You can clearly tell that theres some sort of texture or not usual technique done to the skin and its making the faces look really phony. Mostly retouching is subtle and natural when you are retouching for magazines or publication. If you just want these for your portfolio to show what you can do thats another story but I cant get past that strange texture on all the images. It's reading really edited to me. sad I sorry.

Jul 25 12 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I like the second to last one. The dark hair, dark clothes, pale skin, lack of colour seems to work with the processing you are doing. The bikini shots not so much...
You technique seems to work better with less colour. IMO

Jul 25 12 01:46 pm Link