Forums > Photography Talk > New mirrorless canon?

Photographer

o k u t a k e

New York, New York, US

StephenEastwood wrote:

what about the 5D3 disappoints you?

and have you used a G1X?

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com

Personally I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with the 5D3. Basically all the important features of a 1Ds in a smaller package. I've been waiting for this camera for awhile. For anyone who prefers the smaller form factor, there's finally a full fledged professional option and it comes in at a really competitive price point.

Jul 23 12 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

Los Angeles, California, US

What I don't get is why didn't canon make the rear LCD articulate?  This is a HUGE selling point in versatility of a P&S is its ability to shoot from different angles. 

Here is an example of how useful an articulating rear LCD can be. 

Shooting ground up view

https://keslertran.com/clients/heather2.jpg

Jul 23 12 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

o k u t a k e wrote:
Personally I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with the 5D3. Basically all the important features of a 1Ds in a smaller package. I've been waiting for this camera for awhile. For anyone who prefers the smaller form factor, there's finally a full fledged professional option and it comes in at a really competitive price point.

I like the larger form factor of a 1DS, but sensor goes to the 5D3 at the moment  I wish for a 1DS4 

Stephen Eastwood

Jul 24 12 12:20 am Link

Photographer

Ruben Vasquez

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

o k u t a k e wrote:
That or it's a good backup to throw in your bag.
You can never have too many of those.
Not a camera I would plan on using, but if I'm on a shoot and both of my cameras die...

You bring up a good point.
For me, I think the biggest problem with this camera though is the lack of physical manual controls.
I just don't like having to fiddle around with menu's or even a touch screen to make basic exposure and focus adjustments.
I'd rather use a rebel series camera (if my other two died), then this new Canon.

o k u t a k e wrote:
Personally I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with the 5D3.
Basically all the important features of a 1Ds in a smaller package.
I've been waiting for this camera for awhile.
For anyone who prefers the smaller form factor, there's finally a full fledged professional option and it comes in at a really competitive price point.

I'm willing to bet its a brand loyalty thing.
A lot of Canon owners are hearing people rant and rave about Nikon's D800/E and they feel let down that the 5diii doesn't beat it in some stupid aspect.
I could care less what others are shooting with.
My 5dii didn't suddenly stop making great images with the release of another camera.
It still exceeds all my needs...

Jul 24 12 01:23 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Judging from the responses on here, it seems that for the typical Prosumer or Professional photographer thinks that this camera is DOA.  Canon may be many things but they aren't dumb.  They must be targeting a completely different segment of consumers.

My question is "why not build something like the Fuji x100 or X-1 Pro that can legitimately target both sets of consumers"?  And, put it at a price point that would be attractive to consumers, prosumers, and pros?

With Canon's market penetration, They could have stuck a dagger in the heart of Fuji.  But, instead, they have produced a "me too" digicam.

I would love to understand the thought process behind the creation of this camera.

Jul 24 12 03:27 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

StephenEastwood wrote:

what about the 5D3 disappoints you?

and have you used a G1X?

Stephen Eastwood

For starters the 5DIII (I own one) sucks for what it doesn't do i.e. significant increase in DR. For crying out loud the Sony NEX-7 beats it for all out dynamic range. For a body that costs what it does, we should have seen a significant leapfrog over the 1D4 and 5D2.

Jul 24 12 06:21 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Love my 5D MkIII.
Sadly NEX7 does not beat it simply because crammed cells on an APS-C sensor create a ton of colour bleeding and artefacts.

Was sincerely looking forward to mirroless FF, but sadly Canon botched it by adapting to Japanese customers (as usual).
Now it's up to Sony...

Jul 24 12 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

R.EYE.R wrote:
Love my 5D MkIII.
Sadly NEX7 does not beat it simply because crammed cells on an APS-C sensor create a ton of colour bleeding and artefacts.

Was sincerely looking forward to mirroless FF, but sadly Canon botched it by adapting to Japanese customers (as usual).
Now it's up to Sony...

What??

Where did you get all that from, I've never seen any of that in my first or second NEX-7. The first one died inexplicably and the store replaced it...works like a charm. Unless I need to go over ISO800 I barely notice an IQ issue.

Jul 24 12 11:07 am Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

Illuminate wrote:

For starters the 5DIII (I own one) sucks for what it doesn't do i.e. significant increase in DR. For crying out loud the Sony NEX-7 beats it for all out dynamic range. For a body that costs what it does, we should have seen a significant leapfrog over the 1D4 and 5D2.

I'm assuming you're referring to the test conducted by DX0.

I own both, and yes according to the "test" the NEX7 beats it in dynamic range, but in practice, I can't tell the difference.  I can over/ under exposure a shot and get about the same amount of detail back, if anything the 5D is less noisier (FF advantage)

Thats why I take these "test" with a grain of salt, they usually mean nothing in real life use.

Jul 24 12 11:13 am Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

R.EYE.R wrote:
Love my 5D MkIII.

Now it's up to Sony...

Might be lens related, I primarily use the Zeiss 24mm and don't notice any color bleeding.  The camera has a very weak AA filter, so you do get some moire in some shots, but then again I get moire from my 5D3 as well.

Jul 24 12 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

K E S L E R wrote:

I'm assuming you're referring to the test conducted by DX0.

I own both, and yes according to the "test" the NEX7 beats it in dynamic range, but in practice, I can't tell the difference.  I can over/ under exposure a shot and get about the same amount of detail back, if anything the 5D is less noisier (FF advantage)

Thats why I take these "test" with a grain of salt, they usually mean nothing in real life use.

More than one

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/conten … -Range.htm

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie … h_on.shtml

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_ … tion.shtml

I shopped around to find out the "real" pluses and negatives before I bought. Sent the Fuji packing.

Jul 24 12 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

K E S L E R wrote:

Might be lens related, I primarily use the Zeiss 24mm and don't notice any color bleeding.  The camera has a very weak AA filter, so you do get some moire in some shots, but then again I get moire from my 5D3 as well.

My 5D MkIII shots are moire free. Though I get a blown reds in night club hot light situations. On occasion, it feels like 5DC dealt better with that.
I am shooting only MF adapted glass though, primarily CY35/1.4 and Rokkor 58/1.2.

A variety of MF lenses were used - mainly Zeiss primes. NEX5 performed much better than NEX7. It only remains to see if new NEX is up to scratch.
Knowing Japanese, the cameras are primarily designed for Japanese clientele and there won't be any change in this policy any time within next 500 years wink

Jul 24 12 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Illuminate wrote:

Having played with that sony, I can only say I have standards that that sony does not meet and the 5D3 does.

Stephen Eastwood

Jul 24 12 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

The Grand Artist

Fort Worth, Texas, US

K E S L E R wrote:
What I don't get is why didn't canon make the rear LCD articulate?  This is a HUGE selling point in versatility of a P&S is its ability to shoot from different angles.

Don't all the pro photographers complain about an articulating LCD screen too?

Jul 24 12 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Leggy Mountbatten

Kansas City, Missouri, US

K E S L E R wrote:

The Grand Artist wrote:
Don't all the pro photographers complain about an articulating LCD screen too?

This pro would like to have a decent EVF -- preferably one that will at least rotate up, so I can use it as a waist level finder. All these "me-too" Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Format cameras without viewfinders are pretty much useless to me.

Jul 24 12 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

StephenEastwood wrote:
I like the larger form factor of a 1DS, but sensor goes to the 5D3 at the moment  I wish for a 1DS4 

Stephen Eastwood

Same here. I hope my stuff holds out until the 1DS4 comes out... if it comes out. Hate to think that the 1dX is supposed to be "it".

Jul 24 12 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

Leggy Mountbatten wrote:

K E S L E R wrote:

This pro would like to have a decent EVF -- preferably one that will at least rotate up, so I can use it as a waist level finder. All these "me-too" Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Format cameras without viewfinders are pretty much useless to me.

Ever since using the NEX 7, I rarly use the EVF that it comes with.  I shoot using the rear LCD.  Having it flip 90 degree up, allows me to shoot from waist level, pretty fun smile

Jul 24 12 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Alison

Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom

Digitoxin wrote:
I would love to understand the thought process behind the creation of this camera.

The camera body is probably unimportant - what matters is that they have a new lens mount, and that it's compatible through an adaptor with the EF mount.

Also that they have released one serious lens - the 35mm/2.0 equivalent.

When they have a larger range of prime lenses released, I would expect an updated body learning from the feedback on this one. give it a viewfinder, and we're in Fuji X100 territory.

If the focus and shutter lag is fast enough on the next one, I'll travel happily enough with the 35mm equivalent prime and an EF 85mm for portraits (giving me a 135mm equivalent).

Jul 25 12 03:08 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Im not a Canon shooter, but why would I, or anyone, choose the mirrorless canon over a Rebel T3i? The Rebel is cheaper, only a few ounces heavier, and doesnt require an adapter to use regular Canon lenses? The mirrorless body + adapter is way more $$ tan the rebel, and loses any weight or size advantage. The two lenses available at launch are not very interesting.

Jul 25 12 05:00 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Robb Mann wrote:
Im not a Canon shooter, but why would I, or anyone, choose the mirrorless canon over a Rebel T3i? The Rebel is cheaper, only a few ounces heavier, and doesnt require an adapter to use regular Canon lenses? The mirrorless body + adapter is way more $$ tan the rebel, and loses any weight or size advantage. The two lenses available at launch are not very interesting.

Because you could mount a CY, Leica-M/R, Minolta, Canon FD/FL, Contax-G, etc lenses...wink
But if you are EF/EF-S lens user, of course there is no point really.

Jul 25 12 05:12 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

K E S L E R wrote:

Ever since using the NEX 7, I rarly use the EVF that it comes with.  I shoot using the rear LCD.  Having it flip 90 degree up, allows me to shoot from waist level, pretty fun smile

In that case, I have a YashicaMat you may enjoy smile

Jul 25 12 06:46 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

K E S L E R wrote:

I also use the rear LCD on my G1 X.

Jul 25 12 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Leggy Mountbatten wrote:

K E S L E R wrote:

But Ken Rockwell said the EOS M is the only serious professional mirrorless! yikes

Jul 25 12 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

Robb Mann wrote:

It's a legitimate second body if all else fails. I carry two bodies as it is but if I had the EOS M, I'd toss it in the bag also.

You also get continuous AF during video. Yes, I know not everyone does video, but some people do. I can see it coming in handy here and there.

For Canon shooters, it helps to not have to buy into a completely new system.

It's not really a camera for most DSLR shooters and it's not supposed to be. Looks decent.

Jul 25 12 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Slaughter

Palo Alto, California, US

The name says "M" but I don't see anywhere it mentioned that it is compatible with Leica M lenses. Too bad! I have both Canon and Leica systems (and Hasselblad for medium format) but my Leica M lenses are much much better than even the best Canon lenses. So, if this did work with Leica M, I could see getting one just to have a point and shoot to take around with my Leica M lenses.
Greg

Jul 26 12 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

StephenEastwood wrote:

Having played with that sony, I can only say I have standards that that sony does not meet and the 5D3 does.

Stephen Eastwood

Well we must have our standards...but I know more than one pro who uses the NEX-7 and the IQ doesn't seem to be an issue. I certainly haven't found that to be the case. It's a nice compliment to my 5 and 1D series bodies.

I'm firmly on the mirrorless wagon but the AF has got to be fast and accurate.

Jul 26 12 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Greg Slaughter wrote:
The name says "M" but I don't see anywhere it mentioned that it is compatible with Leica M lenses. Too bad! I have both Canon and Leica systems (and Hasselblad for medium format) but my Leica M lenses are much much better than even the best Canon lenses. So, if this did work with Leica M, I could see getting one just to have a point and shoot to take around with my Leica M lenses.
Greg

It is since it's mirrorless. All you have to do is wait a little for an adaptor to become available.
Though sensor will be your limitation - if glas outresolves it, no point to waste money on the M glass.

Jul 26 12 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Leggy Mountbatten

Kansas City, Missouri, US

K E S L E R wrote:

Leggy Mountbatten wrote:

ASYLUM - Photo wrote:
But Ken Rockwell said the EOS M is the only serious professional mirrorless! yikes

The Fuji is awfully close to what I'd like to have in one of these cameras. Canon could have done a "digital P" with a similar design to the Fuji, but with faster operation, and had a real winner on their hands.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Canon_p01.jpg

Jul 26 12 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

R_Marquez wrote:

It's a legitimate second body if all else fails. I carry two bodies as it is but if I had the EOS M, I'd toss it in the bag also.

You also get continuous AF during video. Yes, I know not everyone does video, but some people do. I can see it coming in handy here and there.

For Canon shooters, it helps to not have to buy into a completely new system.

It's not really a camera for most DSLR shooters and it's not supposed to be. Looks decent.

"if I had the EOS M, I'd toss it in the bag also....."

See, that s the key to me..... WILL you BUY this camera?   What I hear you saying is that you won't spend essentially a Grand on this camera but, IF somebody gave you one you would  use it as a backup.  That's not the stuff of good sales numbers in the market segment that Includes folks Like us.

Jul 27 12 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Leggy Mountbatten wrote:
The Fuji is awfully close to what I'd like to have in one of these cameras. Canon could have done a "digital P" with a similar design to the Fuji, but with faster operation, and had a real winner on their hands.

Fully agreed.

Canon has missed the ball for me on this one.

Jul 27 12 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Rose Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

K E S L E R wrote:

or like "the old days" you could lay on the ground... :-P

Jul 27 12 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

The Full Frame

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

And this is a good thing no?

Jul 28 12 08:47 am Link