Forums > Model Colloquy > Models and Compensation

Model

DJ Mew

Chicago, Illinois, US

Okay so this has been driving me crazy for awhile now so i figured i might as well get others opinions. You hear models complaining about not getting paid all the time, but those are the same models that say yes to every TF offer they get! I see so many models who are shooting TF with photographers that are not up to their level. Why? Its not benifiting your port at all. You should be charging that photographer! Same goes the opposite way though. When your just statting out pay a good photographer! You cant show your abilities as a model with a point and shoot photographer who doesnt know how to edit. (Which is what 90% of TF shoots are)
Basically bottom line if your good at what you do stop doing TF for lower quality work. Its driving me nuts to see good models have crappy pictures because there too cheap to pay a photographer. And its driving me nuts to see good photographers have models with awkward poses and faces because there too cheap to pay a good model.
Your thoughts?

Aug 19 12 03:38 pm Link

Model

DJ Mew

Chicago, Illinois, US

Oh and i thought i put this in the model forum... sorry guys

Aug 19 12 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

around here there's a bunch of good photographers (experienced, excellent equipment, good retouching skills) who will do trade or even pay the models. so models really have no excuse for lousy photos. one photographer i know has trouble getting models because he prefers the non-ALT variety. for my part i can't get anyone to show up TF except for my zivity sets. and i don't require nudity.

anyway, i don't think the problem is lack of good photographers. i think it's the choices models make regarding those photographers. if they are just in it for dating then it is what it is and their portfolios may reflect that. or maybe they're into the weird/edgy/artsy stuff and not everyone does that (but there are some models turned photographer and it seems like female shooters can be more into that).

Aug 19 12 03:43 pm Link

Model

DJ Mew

Chicago, Illinois, US

twoharts wrote:
around here there's a bunch of good photographers (experienced, excellent equipment, good retouching skills) who will do trade or even pay the models. so models really have no excuse for lousy photos. one photographer i know has trouble getting models because he prefers the non-ALT variety. for my part i can't get anyone to show up TF except for my zivity sets. and i don't require nudity.

anyway, i don't think the problem is lack of good photographers. i think it's the choices models make regarding those photographers. if they are just in it for dating then it is what it is and their portfolios may reflect that.

What??? I said nothing about dating.. or a lack of good photographers.. im just annoyed that photographers are unwilling to pay a good model and models are unwilling to pay a good photographer.

Aug 19 12 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i know plenty of photographers who are willing to pay models if they meet their needs for the project. for my part i've hired a bunch of the travelling ones and they've been awesome. the economy has taken a toll, though, and i think maybe fewer photographers are hiring models directly (but there are several very active meetup.com groups in the area).

my point is that if a model has bad photos it's not because they are unwilling to pay a good photographer. it's because they haven't chosen to work with a good photographer (yet) or maybe they didn't deliver a good performance or aren't someone the good photographers want to work with (although i've never turned down paying work).

and of course it all depends on your definition of good. there are so many genres it also gets to be about which style(s) a photographer likes to do as much as their quality.

and just because a photographer charges doesn't mean they're any good or will deliver images. it just means they have the balls to charge and the ability to get people to pay them. i've read plenty of threads about models unhappy with a photographer they paid (some just take off with the money).

Heather Elizabeth M wrote:
What??? I said nothing about dating.. or a lack of good photographers.. im just annoyed that photographers are unwilling to pay a good model and models are unwilling to pay a good photographer.

Aug 19 12 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I've had this same discussion with a few models who shot their first real studio work with me.   I agree.   

And yet I think that for some of the younger and less experienced, being wanted is just too flattering to pass up -  and from what I hear, honestly, a bit of a turn-on.  Some if not many do not have the larger perspective and are not really serious about portfolio building or taking their modeling anywhere beyond seeing their images on the internet.

Aug 19 12 03:52 pm Link

Model

QuietAsKept

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I paid a photographer earlier this year for some images that I used to submit to agencies. I had them on MM for a brief period but took them down because they were commercial print images. Unfortunately, that type of work usually isn't here on MM.

I'll pay a photographer again once I can find one with a mutual interest in shooting MM friendly images for me. smile

Aug 19 12 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

they seem to go for these guys who maybe can't shoot worth a darn (don't even have photoshop) but have a lot of game and work the BS to the max. these girls are like putty in their hands (sometimes literally from what i read. lol) it is what it is

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
And yet I think that for some of the younger and less experienced, being wanted is just too flattering to pass up -  and from what I hear, honestly, a bit of a turn-on.

Aug 19 12 03:55 pm Link

Model

DJ Mew

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've had this same discussion with a few models who shot their first real studio work with me.   I agree.   

And yet I think that for some of the younger and less experienced, being wanted is just too flattering to pass up -  and from what I hear, honestly, a bit of a turn-on.  Some if not many do not have the larger perspective and are not really serious about portfolio building or taking their modeling anywhere beyond seeing their images on the internet.

I completely agree with you. I feel like that is the only goal of many "models" these days.

Aug 19 12 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

It does seem that 75% of the problem threads are about T/F shoots.
One party is disappointed that the other didn't invest all they should
in a trade shoot.

Aug 19 12 03:58 pm Link

Model

DJ Mew

Chicago, Illinois, US

Motordrive Photography wrote:
It does seem that 75% of the problem threads are about T/F shoots.
One party is disappointed that the other didn't invest all they should
in a trade shoot.

It just seams to me like everyone is so willing to trade. If you always trade how do you expect to ever be paid? I mean, i have traded of course, but only with photographers who can really enhance my port. If a photographers work doesnt meet up with the work i currently have in my port i then quote them my rates.

Aug 19 12 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

David Shinobi

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Things would a lot different if we were still in the film age.

Aug 19 12 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Image Magik

Santa Cruz, California, US

I agree on this one. I see a lot of models trying to make it with bad pictures.
I guess they don't see how a better picture can get them more work but when I see
a picture of a model and I have to imagine how she might look in a good picture-I'm not
going to hire her.

Aug 19 12 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

It just seams to me like everyone is so willing to trade. If you always trade how do you expect to ever be paid? I mean, i have traded of course, but only with photographers who can really enhance my port. If a photographers work doesnt meet up with the work i currently have in my port i then quote them my rates.

I pay models who are worth being paid.  So far the models that I have paid have been worth it.

Aug 19 12 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

David Shinobi  wrote:
Things would a lot different if we were still in the film age.

I have a film image in my portfolio.

Aug 19 12 04:06 pm Link

Model

DJ Mew

Chicago, Illinois, US

Image Magik wrote:
I agree on this one. I see a lot of llamas trying to make it with bad pictures.
I guess they don't see how a better picture can get them more work but when I see
a picture of a llama and I have to imagine how she might look in a good picture-I'm not
going to hire her.

I completely agree!!

Aug 19 12 04:07 pm Link

Model

Jordan Bunniie

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Don't let what other models are doing bother you.. if they dont want to invest in a good portfolio thats their problem. They are not your competition. Theyre probably just here to take pretty pictures.

Aug 19 12 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Heather, there aren't a lot of compelling reasons to pay models here.   If you're focused on shooting fashion or commercial work then you  need to focus on agency models and tests.   Those shooters who pay tend to pay for nudes.    Paying models isn't a good business plan nor is it for amateur models who stand little chance of being signed.   Another point is that many agency models test all the time and many times with photographers who some might not feel are at their level.   Lets say I had a book filled with pretty models on MM who I paid.   What difference would it make.   Especially if they are not agency level faces.

This is largely going to be a hobby for most here.   I like your work with Joe.

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

If a photographers work doesnt meet up with the work i currently have in my port i then quote them my rates.

that seems fair and the way things would work for ones learning,
or trying something new.

Photographer

David Shinobi

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I have a film image in my portfolio.

My point being was if this was still the film age, TF would not be anywhere as rampant and there would probably be ¼ or less of the people you see here on MM.
Theres no instant gratification of viewing a photo then throwing it up in FB or wherever just to get 'Oh baby You're So Hot" comments with 2 minutes of snapping the image.

The affordability of digital had made every Tom, Dick and Harry a 'photographer'.

Film costs money from buying, processing and prints or scans.
Thats a lot of money to do TF all the time unless your name is Rockefeller.

Aug 19 12 04:14 pm Link

Model

DJ Mew

Chicago, Illinois, US

Heather, there aren't a lot of compelling reasons to pay models here.   If you're focused on shooting fashion or commercial work then you  need to focus on agency models and tests.   Those shooters who pay tend to pay for nudes.    Paying models isn't a good business plan nor is it for amateur models who stand little chance of being signed.   Another point is that many agency models test all the time and many times with photographers who some might not feel are at their level.   Lets say I had a book filled with pretty models on MM who I paid.   What difference would it make.   Especially if they are not agency level faces.

This is largely going to be a hobby for most here.   I like your work with Joe.

Thank you! He is awesome. Really knows how to use lighting. But i wouldnt expect a photographer to pay for a model unless he cannot get the same quality for TF. Which i see alot. There are plenty of models who stand out above the rest who have amazing work, but still shoot for TF and then turn arround and complain that they are not paid enough for their work. Thats what is annoying to me.

Aug 19 12 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

David Shinobi  wrote:

My point being was if this was still the film age, TF would not be anywhere as rampant and there would probably be ¼ or less of the people you see here on MM.
Theres no instant gratification of viewing a photo then throwing it up in FB or wherever just to get 'Oh baby You're So Hot" comments with 2 minutes of snapping the image.

The affordability of digital had made every Tom, Dick and Harry a 'photographer'.

I used film for years.  Since I switched to digital I haven't touched my Nikon F2.

Aug 19 12 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

I feel, without any evidence to back it up, that the quality of the pics in a model's MM portfolio has nothing to do with how successful that model will be on MM.  If there is the line 'Shoot Nudes:  Yes' then the model could have pictures of her pet gerbil in her portfolio and she'd probably get lots of work.  If the model doesn't shoot nudes, then the model should really have a niche look to offer, like the OP.

I understand where the OP is coming from, and a few people have alluded to the 'good old days,' which I do remember.  Back then, some photographers actually made a living shooting models' portfolios.

Aug 19 12 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

Okay so this has been driving me crazy for awhile now so i figured i might as well get others opinions. You hear models complaining about not getting paid all the time, but those are the same models that say yes to every TF offer they get! I see so many models who are shooting TF with photographers that are not up to their level. Why? Its not benifiting your port at all. You should be charging that photographer! Same goes the opposite way though. When your just statting out pay a good photographer! You cant show your abilities as a model with a point and shoot photographer who doesnt know how to edit. (Which is what 90% of TF shoots are)
Basically bottom line if your good at what you do stop doing TF for lower quality work. Its driving me nuts to see good models have crappy pictures because there too cheap to pay a photographer. And its driving me nuts to see good photographers have models with awkward poses and faces because there too cheap to pay a good model.
Your thoughts?

On a side note, I'd just like to say that not all photographers can afford to pay models, or, like in my case, can afford to constantly pay models, for every shoot.  If I didn't do TF* arrangements then I'd not be able to afford to learn, in the first place.

Mind you, I still do pay models, but it's difficult for me to afford to do so more than once per one or two months here.

Aug 19 12 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thank you! He is awesome. Really knows how to use lighting. But i wouldnt expect a photographer to pay for a model unless he cannot get the same quality for TF. Which i see alot. There are plenty of models who stand out above the rest who have amazing work, but still shoot for TF and then turn arround and complain that they are not paid enough for their work. Thats what is annoying to me.

I can't speak for everyone but I suspect a lot of folks here are broke.   After rent, food, car note, gas and other stuff they just don't have a few hundred to pay.   As for models.   I know several who are paid only and never shoot.   Their portfolios remand stagnant.   The ideal is to find clients.   Photographers really shouldn't be clients nor should models.   Artists charging each other is like a dog chasing its tail.    There are lots of guys here who would benefit by using better looking models as in a better looking portfolio but unless they plan to market themselves to editors , AD agencies or modelling agencies its not money well spent.   IMHO.

To be candid those going that direction need to head to Ford or Factor here in Chicago.   Models seeking paid work from shooters have to network like crazy and in many cases be willing to pose nude.   So models can try and always charge, shoot less or not at all or do nudes.   Photographers can try and charge models they feel aren't up to snuff or people can try to create art and work they can try to market to those with actual money.

Aug 19 12 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

just because you are worth getting paid doesn't mean you will get paid. the market has no fairness in it. it's all supply&demand and local economics. i've done trade with paid models. they do it because it suits them. i think they like to keep on shooting even if they don't currently have any paying work. and at least they'll have something new for their mayhem port. and when they do trade with me i'll shoot what they want/need which is fine with me because usually they're on top of some new style.

photographers can complain about guys who are talented and give it away for free (i don't care about the hacks who are free but it's harder when that guy is really good). but they have every right to do that if they want. when you are getting paid it can change everything and a fun hobby can suddenly become stressful. i think some just do it so they can feel the love (like on fbook).

There are plenty of models who stand out above the rest who have amazing work, but still shoot for TF and then turn arround and complain that they are not paid enough for their work. Thats what is annoying to me.

Aug 19 12 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

actually some photographers prefer to pay the model even when they could get it on trade. when they pay they don't have to stress about getting them images and also can have the shoot however they want (vs. it being half and half). it really just depends on the photographer and their particular situation.

the thing i get when i pay a model is that they actually show up. and that's definitely worth something!

But i wouldnt expect a photographer to pay for a model unless he cannot get the same quality for TF.

Aug 19 12 04:36 pm Link

Model

DJ Mew

Chicago, Illinois, US

Kent Art Photography wrote:
I feel, without any evidence to back it up, that the quality of the pics in a model's MM portfolio has nothing to do with how successful that model will be on MM.  If there is the line 'Shoot Nudes:  Yes' then the model could have pictures of her pet gerbil in her portfolio and she'd probably get lots of work.  If the model doesn't shoot nudes, then the model should really have a niche look to offer, like the OP.

I understand where the OP is coming from, and a few people have alluded to the 'good old days,' which I do remember.  Back then, some photographers actually made a living shooting models' portfolios.

Thank you for the sweet comment smile but if it wasnt for my port on MM i wouldnt have any paid work! I dont shoot nudes, but im am paid about 80% of the time. I refer everyone to my MM profilr as my port. So for me the quality of my images determins my success. Because of my photos i have have interested magazines, clothing lines, bands and more interested in using me for some kind of paid work. But i also agree that you can be a terrible model but have "i shoots nudes" posted on your profile and still be bery successful.. nudity sells.

Aug 19 12 04:41 pm Link

Model

DJ Mew

Chicago, Illinois, US

twoharts wrote:
the thing i get when i pay a model is that they actually show up. and that's definitely worth something!

Yes... the second thing that annoys me.. no shows.. very unprofessional.

Aug 19 12 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Why the hell does every model here think pay=photographer.  Photographers are not usually the ones hiring mdoels and if they are it's chump change.  Clients hire models and photographers.

Aug 19 12 05:05 pm Link

Model

DJ Mew

Chicago, Illinois, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
Why the hell does every model here think pay=photographer.  Photographers are not usually the ones hiring mdoels and if they are it's chump change.  Clients hire models and photographers.

I dont.. about 90% of my paid work is from companies, bands, or publications. I only get pay from a photographer when they need my look for something -usually a project they are getting paid for. Im just saying to build a good port pay a good model. Or opposite if you are a model, pay a good photographer.

Aug 19 12 05:12 pm Link

Model

Kitty LaRose

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Sometimes it's not always about money. smile Like for me, I will work trade with photographers who I admire, who I've worked with before and enjoyed their style, or if I have free time on my hands. So who knows. Perhaps the models enjoy getting random pictures, maybe they're just doing it for art's sake, or whatever. smile

Aug 19 12 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

john knight

Farmington, New Mexico, US

David Shinobi  wrote:

Have to agree. Fifty percent of my portfolio is film, hell my digital camera is only 6.1 MP. If a model is serious about what she does I will gladly break out the film stock any day!

Aug 19 12 08:28 pm Link

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

i can't afford to hire *good* photographers, even if i wasn't into modeling just as a hobby.

and, (apparently) i'm not what paying photographers need. when money is on the table, a photographer can hire almost damn near anyone he wants....that's A LOT of competition that, frankly, i can't compete with tongue

so it'll be tf* for me, forever tongue

Aug 19 12 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

The following is just added for interest to underline the attitudes that can be encountered.

It is from the profile of a self-described aspiring model that I saw an hour or two ago.  I am giving you just the first paragraph (and it is interesting in itself that the model would choose this information as the very first thing to be seen). 

The second paragraph was devoted to the many virtues of having her boyfriend as an escort.

As might be expected, the portfolio is fairly typical of a new model.

(First para of bio - reproduced exactly as written) 
"I DO NOT pay photographers. No matter how much I like your work, no matter how "fair" or "reasonable" your rates are, I will not compensate you in any way. I will work with select photographers on a TF basis, but also do have rates of my own depending on the assignment/ project."

Aug 19 12 08:37 pm Link

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

oh and as for being hired by companies/bands/etc....could depend on location. OP, you live in Chicago! i live in a little city in upstate NY...not exactly a hotspot for such paid opportunities, lol. and the companies that do exist, don't seem to have money either...

Aug 19 12 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Critical Eye Studios

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I am finding that most want the attention of being offerd a photo shoot. Then there are the ones who are not employed or just think that joining MM will get them easy money (especially the nude for money models) and expect to get paid with just a few camera pic or pictures from a crappy photographer and as Fotografica Gregor said "many do not have the larger perspective and are not really serious about portfolio building or taking their modeling anywhere beyond seeing their images on the internet". They just want to tell thier friends they are models in social settings. They do not value of a good portfolio or paying thier dues or even sometimes paying a good photographer.

Now I have no real problem doing TF shoots (I am in the process of reevaluating that position) with models because models act like they don't have money to pay for anything even if I am doing TF they act like they can't even pay for a MUA or Hair stylist....WTF. The think photographers are ATM Machines.

Aug 19 12 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Keith S Photography

Lutherville-Timonium, Maryland, US

Hi Heather, which images in your port did you pay a photographer?

Aug 19 12 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Well, trade work isn't always for beginners.  What if somebody much more experienced and with a much better port than you has an idea that you love.  Well, shell out some cash and pay them right?  But if they are willing to do a trade shoot, why not?  Same thing goes for somebody of equal experience.  Great idea that benefits both of you, well, benefits both of you.  If you feel like throwing somebody with less experience a bone so to speak and do a trade shoot with them, or even with somebody with more experience, you don't have to use any of the images in your port.

Aug 19 12 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Sometimes its not about the result but the process.   Many models and photographers shoot because they love to shoot.   In fact I know lots of well known actors who do film projects for little or no pay.   However lets be frank a moment.   How many models on MM have ever paid for a shoot?    Most won't invest in make-up or clothes even when they have the cash.   I know plenty who feel after their first session that they need to be paid.   Understandable yet   I would shoot even if I never made a dime.   The mark of loving a thing is would you still do it if you knew it might never pay.

If making money as a model is your sole focus then this may not be for you.   If making money as a shooter is your only goal then maybe this isn't your best choice of career.

Aug 19 12 09:02 pm Link