This thread was locked on 2014-12-26 20:02:36
Forums > Events > Oct 13 / 2013 'Cruiseboat Photoshoot' / Cabo & PV

Photographer

Toothpick Productions

San Jose, California, US

Couple thoughts/questions...

• Can we get a list of the confirmed photographers too?  (obviously we don't need their picture posted on page 1 or anything), but i think it might be cool to see the portfolio's of people before we all meet up. 

• For the shoots 'off the boat' (on the beaches, etc), do the photographers all try to limit down the amount of gear/baggage to like a backpack or a single carry bag, type of thing?  Or do some photographers drag a little roller case around as well??

Oct 09 13 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

James Sioux

Los Angeles, California, US

Toothpick Productions wrote:
Couple thoughts/questions...

• Can we get a list of the confirmed photographers too?  (obviously we don't need their picture posted on page 1 or anything), but i think it might be cool to see the portfolio's of people before we all meet up. 

• For the shoots 'off the boat' (on the beaches, etc), do the photographers all try to limit down the amount of gear/baggage to like a backpack or a single carry bag, type of thing?  Or do some photographers drag a little roller case around as well??

You're welcome to browse through my portfolio.  Lovely models, you're welcome to take a look too.

I'm gonna try to keep things as light and as simple as possible.  Definitely not a roller case for me.  I will be wearing a photo vest with 10-12 S,M, and L pockets.  Here are the equipment I'm bringing, maybe this could be a reference for others:

1 (one) Sony A77 body
1 (one) Panasonic LX5 point-and-shoot
1 (one) Carl Zeiss 24-70mm 2.8
1 (one) Carl Zeiss 16-80mm 3.5
1 (one) Tamron 70-200mm 2.8
1 (one) on-camera flash
1 (one) LumiQuest on-camera softbox
Extra batteries, chargers, and many memory cards.

All of the above can fit into my Tamrac Superlight 48 camera bag.

Also, bringing a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet and a small 11.1" Acer laptop and fit them in a lightweight Roocase. My cell phone, but turned off during the entire trip.

Maybe 1(one) tripod, but I'm not leaning towards bringing that.

Two medium-sized roller cases for clothing and crap like that.  One of them suitcases will contain model clothing, shoes, accessories, costumes, and what not.

Gary, what do you think?  Hahaha.

Oct 09 13 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Oct 09 13 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Toothpick Productions

San Jose, California, US

James Sioux wrote:
You're welcome to browse through my portfolio.  Lovely models, you're welcome to take a look too.

Hey there James!  That's quite a great range of work you have there in your Port!!  Great Job!!!  Look forward to seeing you (as well as the others) working your magic.

-Toothpick Ted

Oct 09 13 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

James Sioux wrote:

I'm gonna try to keep things as light and as simple as possible.  Definitely not a roller case for me.  I will be wearing a photo vest with 10-12 S,M, and L pockets.  Here are the equipment I'm bringing, maybe this could be a reference for others:

1 (one) Sony A77 body
1 (one) Panasonic LX5 point-and-shoot
1 (one) Carl Zeiss 24-70mm 2.8
1 (one) Carl Zeiss 16-80mm 3.5
1 (one) Tamron 70-200mm 2.8
1 (one) on-camera flash
1 (one) LumiQuest on-camera softbox
Extra batteries, chargers, and many memory cards.

All of the above can fit into my Tamrac Superlight 48 camera bag.

Also, bringing a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet and a small 11.1" Acer laptop and fit them in a lightweight Roocase. My cell phone, but turned off during the entire trip.

Maybe 1(one) tripod, but I'm not leaning towards bringing that.

Two medium-sized roller cases for clothing and crap like that.  One of them suitcases will contain model clothing, shoes, accessories, costumes, and what not.

Gary, what do you think?  Hahaha.

Hey James... I'd pass on the lens in bold text... it doesn't have the focal length spread of your 16-80, and your just duplicating your focal length.  On this cruise, you wanna travel as light as possible... wink

Oct 09 13 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

James Sioux

Select Models wrote:
Hey James... I'd pass on the lens in bold text... it doesn't have the focal length spread of your 16-80, and your just duplicating your focal length.  On this cruise, you wanna travel as light as possible... wink

Thanks Gary for the suggestion.  I think I'm gonna do exactly what you're saying.

Also, when we come back, it's 9AM.  Realistically, according to your experience, by the time we really disembark, it would be much later than 9AM, probably closer to 11AM, wouldn't you say so?

Oct 09 13 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

James Sioux wrote:
Also, when we come back, it's 9AM.  Realistically, according to your experience, by the time we really disembark, it would be much later than 9AM, probably closer to 11AM, wouldn't you say so?

So realistically we can expect to see your images posted by noon? ;-)

Oct 10 13 03:24 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

James Sioux wrote:

Thanks Gary for the suggestion.  I think I'm gonna do exactly what you're saying.

Actually, the ship arrives closer to 8am... and it takes a few hours for everyone to go thru the 'debarkation process'.  Carnival makes sure that everyone is off the ship by 11... but YOU DO get a free breakfast before you go... if you get up early enough... wink

Oct 10 13 07:40 am Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

And for those who may come across a chance to purchase some contraband substances down in Mexico, on your way off the ship you will most likely pass by the sniffer dog patrol.  They might even pick up your scent if you were around such things before you left.

Oct 10 13 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

David Stone Imaging wrote:
And for those who may come across a chance to purchase some contraband substances down in Mexico, on your way off the ship you will most likely pass by the sniffer dog patrol.  They might even pick up your scent if you were around such things before you left.

Oh you'll probably get pass 'the sniffers' while you're getting on the ship... but YOU WONT when deparking in Long Beach.  Last year one of our shoot participants found out about this 'the hard way' and was issued a $3000 citation (and mandatory court appearance) by the Long Beach Police Dept... wink

Oct 10 13 08:53 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:
...issued a $3000 citation...

OUCHEE :-(.
This raised the total acquisition cost and thereby the average cost per image exorbitantly!

When I have time, I'll be monitoring thread for developments.

Bon voyage.

Violator of 10th commandment :-)
[Thou shalt not covet thy fellow MMer's cruise!] LOL

Updated my checklist from last year:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st17392676

Links not verified--not responsible for link rot.

Oct 10 13 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Toothpick Productions

San Jose, California, US

Just a Heads Up to the photographers to be sure to bring baggies and covers for any of your gear.  :-)   Looks like it's been 90+ degrees in Cabo... but on Sunday and Monday, Scattered Thunder Storms.   Then on Tuesday (our day there), chance of Scattered Showers.   Then when we leave, so does the rain.  haha.

Well, bring a few t-shirts and be prepared for some cool 'wet' shots too!!!!  :-)

-Toothpick

Oct 10 13 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Just a Heads Up to the photographers to be sure to bring baggies and covers for any of your gear.  :-)   Looks like it's been 90+ degrees in Cabo... but on Sunday and Monday, Scattered Thunder Storms.   Then on Tuesday (our day there), chance of Scattered Showers.   Then when we leave, so does the rain.  haha.

Well, bring a few t-shirts and be prepared for some cool 'wet' shots too!!!!  :-)

-Toothpick

Hey Ted amigo... don't even sweat the weather.  I'll be activating the 'blue sky mode' on the D600... guaren-freakin-teed to wisk away all the cloud formations... borat... wait-n-see... wink

Oct 10 13 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Toothpick Productions

San Jose, California, US

Select Models wrote:
Hey Ted amigo... don't even sweat the weather.  I'll be activating the 'blue sky mode' on the D600... guaren-freakin-teed to wisk away all the cloud formations... borat... wait-n-see... wink

No worries here... It would make for less 'harsh' lighting conditions no matter!!  :-)

Oct 11 13 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Scottsdale Images

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Noley and I are looking forward to meeting everyone, we'll be driving in from AZ Sunday morning...
I know she has a ton of bikinis she will be bringing among other things...

As for gear:
2 bodies w/2 batteries each
3 lens: 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm 3.5, 50-200mm 4.0
2 speedlights, one slave light,
mini soft box and mini beauty dish
tripod, reflector, 2 small light stands

And the iPhone as my tourist camera...lol

To the models attending:
I shoot as staff photographer for Bikini Magazine and will be utilizing images from the trip for a feature on the individual models or as a group.. so bring plenty of bikinis.. smile

Oct 11 13 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Carnival just called and switched me over to a balcony room FOR FREE!... yaaaaaaaaay!... they said it was because I'm a 5 time 'Cruiseboat Photoshoot' customer... borat... now in Balcony RM# 7272.... see you party animals on Sunday... wink

Oct 11 13 10:25 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Oct 11 13 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

FFantastique wrote:

Oh Hell no... you ain't takin a number 2 on THIS ship.  Wait til it gets dark... hang ur booty over the rail and plop that number into water in total darkness.  The bottom feeding carp fish will get to it sooner or later... lol

Oct 11 13 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st17129723

Since I like figures, just for comparison, page 21 on last year's thread was reached over three months prior to departure.

This is not to suggest not imply any value or qualitative judgment.

This observation comes sans analysis.

[if this makes no sense, just ignore.]

Oct 11 13 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

FFantastique wrote:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st17129723

Since I like figures, just for comparison, page 21 on last year's thread was reached over three months prior to departure.

This is not to suggest not imply any value or qualitative judgment.

This observation comes sans analysis.

[if this makes no sense, just ignore.]

Ah yes... contemplation of multiple realities... theories of relativity... qualitative judgements... gotta love it... roll... lol

Oct 12 13 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Scottsdale Images

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Upgraded to extended balcony.... We're now in 7174. Gonna be a great place to shoot!

Oct 12 13 03:32 am Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Select Models wrote:

Ah yes... contemplation of multiple realities... theories of relativity... qualitative judgements... gotta love it... roll... lol

LOL comedians over here

Oct 12 13 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

C.C. Holdings  wrote:

LOL comedians over here

Yep... never a dull moment on an SM thread... borat

Oct 12 13 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Toothpick Productions

San Jose, California, US

All you room jumpers... haha.   We had already (originally) grabbed our killer spot and will be rock'n it in #6329.

1 more day....  :-)   About to hit the road in a couple hours...  See ya there!!!

-Toothpick Ted

Oct 12 13 10:19 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Scottsdale Images wrote:
Upgraded to extended balcony.... We're now in 7174. Gonna be a great place to shoot!

Exterior cabins are far superior shoot locations than interior cabins! :-)
The wind can be fierce and holding a reflector isn't always as easy as it seems.
Security doesn't wander by to shut down your shoot because it's too professional!
BTW, I have some limited experience holding reflectors both indoors and outdoors.
My passport is current and the three closest airports are SFB, MCO  and DAB.
The old codger in CA and I are probably still available to be sponsored as togs, reflector holders, for you, Noley, Shelly, or any other interested party who is willing and able to fund and fuel this!

This is probably truly your last chance to book!  ;-)

Oct 12 13 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

All you room jumpers... haha.   We had already (originally) grabbed our killer spot and will be rock'n it in #6329.

1 more day....  :-)   About to hit the road in a couple hours...  See ya there!!!

-Toothpick Ted

Tedawger... cool beans amigo... me and Michelle Belle are right up the stairs... seeya tomorrow... borat

Oct 12 13 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Oct 12 13 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

James Sioux

-Toothpick Ted

6329 is a good one, Ted.  Thanks for viewing my port.  You have some killer photos too.

I'm in 7191 (Deck 7), extended balcony.

Oct 12 13 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Although the sheer magnitude of the operation is not as daunting I would like to respectfully suggest that you bring name tags, print all profiles of known participants (unless you have photographic memory or are willing to pay high seas internet rates. Cell phones aren't likely to work for free, radio might not be reliable, and people don't sit in their cabins just waiting for calls!)

Take other measures to foster group cohesion, communication and espirit de corp so you don't end up the last few hours at sea so exhausted that you can't shoot no more. Never before nor since have I fallen asleep at a shoot!

These are some hints that might be helpful. They may not because it's smaller and different grope at different time of year, etc. If it's useful, great; if not, no worries.

Bon voyage.

BTW, this cruise is unaffected by the government shutdown? Maybe we can sort that out while you be at sea!

Oct 12 13 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Checklist for tomorrow... a few things U guys might not wanna forget.

1.  Camera batteries charged.
2.  64 Gigs of free memory card space. (I only shoot high-res JPEG).
3.  Power strip for cruiseboat room that will only have 2 AC outlets.
4.  AA Batteries for Wizards and Strobes (dont buy them on the boat cause they're $20 for a 8pack)
5.  Mini-tripod for strobe stand.
6.  10 pair of sunglasses cause I lose a pair every day. (some for models too).
7.  Vitamins and Sunblock (dont buy it on boat cause small tubes are $20)
8.  Birth Certificate and Drivers License (needed if you don't have a passport).
9.  Toothbrush, deodorant, razor, toothpaste, small shampoo & rinse (theres shampoo and soap dispenser in your room but it's the harsh stuff).

Oct 12 13 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Faulty Focus

Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada

I am very envious of all of you that are boarding the ship today. Here is wishing you fair winds and calm seas and lots of fabulous photos. I could not do it this year but will certainly be planning for next year. Bon voyage smile  (with a tear in my eye)

Oct 13 13 12:24 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

1/2.

There may be more than 2 plugs per room but there may be bathroom, near TV, etc. Not conveniently located and you may have to disable some operational device to use it. Power strip definitely preferred!

Oct 13 13 04:44 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Faulty Focus wrote:
I am very envious of all of you that are boarding the ship today. Here is wishing you fair winds and calm seas and lots of fabulous photos. I could not do it this year but will certainly be planning for next year. Bon voyage smile  (with a tear in my eye)

Hey Gary... you were a fantastic addition to last years cruiseshoot... and the images on your port from last year are AMAZING!  Everyone enjoyed working with you (myself included).  Sure hope to seeya on the 2014 'Cruiseboat Photoshoot'.  I'll be planning that event a few weeks after this one is over... stay tuned... borat

Oct 13 13 07:17 am Link

Photographer

JT_Shim

Longwood, Florida, US

Oct 13 13 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

If ur on the ship and wanna call... cell is 909 919 3925.

Oct 13 13 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

photoguy35

Goodyear, Arizona, US

Word of warning in Cabo - if you go to Lover's Beach you will have to wade ashore and wade back onto the boat.  Waist high water is a definite possibility!  Protect your equipment, wallet, and phone accordingly!

Oct 13 13 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

James Sioux

Having a grand 'ol time on the boat and on the beaches.  Beautiful shots to follow. 

Gary is editing like a madman (right next to my cubical) even as we speak.

One more fun day at sea on Friday and it's HOLA L.A. again!!

Oct 17 13 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

James Sioux

Safely got home.  Thanks Gary for the ride to and from home. 

Marissa: your phone's working again!   smile

Will begin working on pictures.  Post a few by the end of tonight.

Oct 19 13 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

photoguy35 wrote:
Word of warning in Cabo - if you go to Lover's Beach you will have to wade ashore and wade back onto the boat.  Waist high water is a definite possibility!  Protect your equipment, wallet, and phone accordingly!

Good advise on protecting your stuff... but the reality of the boatlanding is... those little Cabo Mexican tenter boats put you right up on the sand now.  You may get your feet alittle wet... but nothing like waist or even knee high.  Will be posting LOADS of pics over the next two weeks... stay tuned... wink

Oct 19 13 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

James Sioux

This is Noley.

At the Gatsby's Garden, Carnival Miracle.

https://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b480/road2oscar/Noley1sepiaemailPB_zps4cbb994c.jpg

Oct 19 13 07:54 pm Link