Forums > Model Colloquy > Scars and everything else you want to hide

Model

Dezi Elizabeth

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Recently went out with some friends to go party.

Beforehand, my friends were curling their hair, getting ready, etc...

At one point, one of my dear friends forgot to mention she had placed her curling iron behind a chair on a table. It was her house and in all honesty, was out of sight when I places my arm on top of it.

Needless to say, I now have 3 inch scar from the burn near my elbow and it can't seem to lighten up as much as I'd want it to. I've tried Miderma (sp?) and all sort of creams.  How much will this hurt me in getting great photo results? At what level do you draw when it comes to physical skin conditions and modeling? 
I know I am just starting out but it kind of disappointed me to have this happen. I really wanted to get ahead in modeling but this really has me worried.

Thoughts?

Sep 13 12 10:55 pm Link

Model

R A N T

Seattle, Washington, US

Stuff like that isn't really difficult to edit out later if you're just doing print work, plus it will probably fade with time...I dunno. I have a lot of scars and a skin condition that makes some of my skin spotty, and it hasn't hurt my modeling to my knowledge. I state on my profile that I've got those things so photographers know what to expect, and it's usually not a big deal smile

Sep 13 12 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Extrosy

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Maybe that's why Adobe calls it a "healing brush"  smile

If it's near an area of uniformity it's easy to fix, just seconds.

Sep 13 12 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

SILVERDINE(silver sulfadiazine)

Sep 13 12 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Vitamin E cream - use it religiously to speed the healing and fading, it really does help

Location - near your elbow - not a particularly strategic place

Size - 3 inches - not especially huge

Time - you said "recently" - if that means the last week or two, you have a lot of fading ahead of you.  You have young skin, the burn is probably minor (I expect you recoiled pretty quickly when you put your arm on the curler) - serious burns are when the skin peels away.

Photoshop - as earlier posters have pointed out, the software is your friend.

Sep 14 12 12:36 am Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

natural beauties of qld wrote:
Vitamin E cream - use it religiously to speed the healing and fading, it really does help

Location - near your elbow - not a particularly strategic place

Size - 3 inches - not especially huge

Time - you said "recently" - if that means the last week or two, you have a lot of fading ahead of you.  You have young skin, the burn is probably minor (I expect you recoiled pretty quickly when you put your arm on the curler) - serious burns are when the skin peels away.

Photoshop - as earlier posters have pointed out, the software is your friend.

Actually, I've read a couple of studies that suggest that Vitamin E may actually prevent skin healing. I used it religiously after I was burned six years ago, and I still have a bunch of scars. It did not seem to help too much.

Sep 14 12 07:24 am Link

Photographer

PTFPhoto

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Desiree N wrote:
How much will this hurt me in getting great photo results?

Zero

Desiree N wrote:
At what level do you draw when it comes to physical skin conditions and modeling?

Tough to say, but I've cleaned up a LOT of stuff. 

Desiree N wrote:
I know I am just starting out but it kind of disappointed me to have this happen. I really wanted to get ahead in modeling but this really has me worried.

This is a 30 second or less operation in photoshop.  You needn't worry at all.  Models gets scrapes and bruises all the time.  Especially, swimsuit models who are laying on rocks, and all manner of things all day on shoots.  I once shot with a model at a beach who got attacked by mosquitoes during the shoot.  She must have gotten 4 dozen bites on her legs.  Took about 30 minutes to get rid of them all, but that photo is in my port.

Sep 14 12 07:33 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

If it's a newish burn I would try to leave it alone except for maybe keep it hydrated and not infected. Your body takes time to heal. I have all kinds of small scars and one photographer actually wanted to make the ones on my stomach(from laprascopic surgery) more obvious! They aren't deal breakers.

Sep 14 12 08:29 am Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Some times it's easier to use photoshop than to retouch poor make up .

Sep 14 12 08:48 am Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

I have a bunch of scars and spots on me on different areas of my body that people either leave in or retouch out. Provided it's healed and somewhat uniform, it's pretty easy to retouch out if that is what you and/or the photographer wants. And it's not on your face, so much less likely to be the center of attention or in sharp focus. Don't sweat it too much smile

Sep 14 12 10:27 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

how long ago did this happen?

scars fade over time

Sep 14 12 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Desiree N wrote:
Scars and everything else you want to hide

Desiree, I do a lot of bridal make-up... rest assured that concealer (heavily pigmented foundation) is your friend here... be certain to set it with a matte powder so it stays put... also airbrush is wonderful for masking a camouflage...

sure you can graphically render it out of an image... but not out of a live event... a skilled make-up artist is priceless for the aforementioned...

I'm no fan of curling irons... have to use hot tools now and again... ALWAYS end up hurting my hands... not badly but enough to know hot tools require a HUGE skillset and tons of experience... I once grabbed a curling iron by the wrong end... fortunately there was a icechest close by... hand went immediately into the ice... that works... ice a burn immediately... it reverses the damage...

Sep 14 12 11:16 am Link

Model

Dezi Elizabeth

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:
how long ago did this happen?

scars fade over time

2 months ago. It was a serious burn, skin came off.
It has gotten lighter but it's obvious and many friends point it out.

Sep 14 12 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Los Angeles, California, US

Can you post a picture here so we can see it?    That would make it easier for photographers to say if it was a deal breaker for them and for retouchers to say, or even show, if they can retouch it.

Sep 14 12 12:27 pm Link

Model

Dezi Elizabeth

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Thanks for all your replies. Makes me feel tons better!

Sep 14 12 11:14 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Desiree N wrote:
2 months ago. It was a serious burn, skin came off.
It has gotten lighter but it's obvious and many friends point it out.

2 months? you need to give it more time than that! at least a year before you can have an idea how it will look.

Annyway, I have a large scar on my lower arm from an operation, and scars on my lower back from an accident when I was a child. It has never been a problem, not for freelancing and not for agencywork.

People will see it and make a remark about it ofcourse, that's how people are. But professionally it has never been an issue.

Sep 15 12 12:42 am Link

Model

Rebecca Marie Taylor

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I have two fairly nasty scars, one surgical and one from landing on concrete with the help of my very large, overexcited dog. Ive found skin oil, taking hair, skin, and nails vitamins (natures bounty, with biotin and collagen) religiously, and time help. No ones pefect, not even models. Its never hurt my career, I just use makeup for runway, or the photographers use photoshop.

Excuse my typing errors, kindle fires are not the best for accuracy.

Sep 16 12 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Wild Image Media

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Scars are cool - makes for a more interesting look

Sep 16 12 09:41 am Link

Retoucher

Zoltan Retoucher

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

Wild Image Media wrote:
Scars are cool - makes for a more interesting look

+1

Sep 29 12 04:15 pm Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

Desiree N wrote:
Recently went out with some friends to go party.

Beforehand, my friends were curling their hair, getting ready, etc...

At one point, one of my dear friends forgot to mention she had placed her curling iron behind a chair on a table. It was her house and in all honesty, was out of sight when I places my arm on top of it.

Needless to say, I now have 3 inch scar from the burn near my elbow and it can't seem to lighten up as much as I'd want it to. I've tried Miderma (sp?) and all sort of creams.  How much will this hurt me in getting great photo results? At what level do you draw when it comes to physical skin conditions and modeling? 

Thoughts?

i have scars all over me, none of the photographers i've worked with find it hard to correct that. if you really hate it, use makeup!

Sep 29 12 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

imcFOTO

Bothell, Washington, US

J  Welborn wrote:
Some times it's easier to use photoshop than to retouch poor make up .

Amen to that! I always try to tell models that unless they are experts at cover-up - leave it.

Sep 29 12 05:05 pm Link

Model

Fleur danielle

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Question everybody,
World you warn the photographer if you have a large scar that will be visable?

Oct 25 12 08:47 pm Link

Model

Miroslava Svoboda

Seattle, Washington, US

Fleur danielle wrote:
Question everybody,
World you warn the photographer if you have a large scar that will be visable?

If you think that it might be a problem do it. I have one running across the front of my lower leg haven't been a problem yet. In fact, I forget I have it unless I'm reminded.

Oct 25 12 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Not a problem - just add it to the 'About Me' section in your profile...

Photographers seldom mind 'anything' if they're informed about it beforehand - it's only when they get bushwacked in the studio that issues arise...

Oct 26 12 04:32 am Link

Model

Rosa Nera

London, England, United Kingdom

I sat on tongs once about two years ago and the scar has completely gone and I did nothing to encourage its healing x

Oct 26 12 01:48 pm Link