Forums > Model Colloquy > Finding High Quality TF Photographers

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Your pictures look good to me, I can't say if they represent photographers in your local.

If you want something that is not offered locally then you have to look elsewhere.

Sep 21 12 07:51 am Link

Photographer

olegvolk Oleg Volk

Lebanon, Tennessee, US

I do a lot of TF work because that way I can interview new models. And I need new models to have sufficient variety of looks for editorial and advertising work. So look to commercial photographers who would take a chance on a new face.

Sep 21 12 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Ani A wrote:
I've started TF modeling recently just for fun and have struggled to find really good photographers to work with, especially living in Wisconsin. I have mainly been traveling to work with the best, but usually I'm not even sure where to start in order to find them!

Any advice on easy ways to search for the best TF photographers?

There are two aspects, as you may know; finding people, and actually shooting with the.

Casting calls, being active in the forums, browse, and generally networking will get you plenty of options.

Being good at makeup / hair, having a varied wardrobe, shooting nudes, being reliable and drama free, communicating promptly and in actual English, being able to travel to shoots without subsidy, will all make it more likely that you get shoots.  Not all are essential in each case, but overall, they all increase your odds.

Sep 21 12 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

SugarSharai photography

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
+1

Lynn Elizabeth wrote:
Use the browse section here to find photographers close to your area. Ask. The worst they can say is no. Also, don't be too stubborn to pay a quality photographer. You are spending so much traveling why not just stay closer and use the money to work with great people around you. Some photographers have great rates that will really offer a boost in your port. Once you have built a great port TF sessions will come easier.

+1 smile

I do this allll the time!!! (considering paying soon as well, but ONLY when MY modelling is PAR with their photography, which it had better be damned well GOOD. So i will wait on this, and continue TF until paying is going to truly be worth it to me)

And youde be surprised the amount of "paid only" photographers that will be willing to work with you for TF, provided the creative content is something that could be of some serious value and benefit to them!  (i always scan their lists, credited shots, and bio, to find what their interests are, and i build on that, with a creative twist, to what they already enjoy doing)

Sep 23 12 03:12 am Link

Photographer

Nelia

San Francisco, California, US

Ani A wrote:
I've started TF llamaing recently just for fun and have struggled to find really good photographers to work with, especially living in Wisconsin. I have mainly been traveling to work with the best, but usually I'm not even sure where to start in order to find them!

This Forum post might be a good place what you are looking for:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=503930

Best of luck to you!

Sep 23 12 03:19 am Link

Photographer

RhineGold Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

Cuica Cafezinho wrote:
I see. Well, if I come across any I'll be sure to send them your way!

Whoosh!

Sep 23 12 08:40 pm Link

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

Ani A wrote:
I'm sorry if I have offended or confused anyone. I was just asking for advice on how to search, and thank you for the relevant answers I have received. I'll keep on networking and scouring.

idk if someone chimed in, but i assume you've tried the Browse feature?

that's what i do...browse within a certain radius, then click on profile to see what kind of compensation they offer.

oh yes and casting calls

Sep 23 12 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Culturally Destitute

Seattle, Washington, US

Cuica Cafezinho wrote:
There are no good photographers in Madison, Wisconsin?

smile

Ani A wrote:
There are many! The question is finding them among the zillions of profiles. Avatars are my main way of guessing, but it takes a long time to filter through. Just wondering if there was a short cut.

Please, please tell me this isn't all the further you went with responding to him.
Maybe you're waiting for the engraver and the hand delivery? wink

Sep 23 12 09:07 pm Link

Model

Ani A

Chicago, Illinois, US

PictureItYakima wrote:

Cuica Cafezinho wrote:
There are no good photographers in Madison, Wisconsin?

smile

Please, please tell me this isn't all the further you went with responding to him.
Maybe you're waiting for the engraver and the hand delivery? wink

Haha yes, I have corresponded with several people, including him, as a result of this thread :-)

Sep 23 12 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Gary M Photo

Dayton, Ohio, US

**waves**

Sep 25 12 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

sumo67

Ironwood, Michigan, US

Isis22 wrote:
This thread makes me want to move to Wisconsin!

dont do it...lol...i live in northern mi on border of wi....i email girls offering to shoot for free giving them the completed photos just because i just like to shoot and my income is not dependant on it and they  for lack of better way to say it arent even professional enough to tell you they arent interested...not all but 95 percent of the girls on here that i have emailed.

Sep 25 12 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

TrianglePhoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

And don't forget to look at Milwaukee or Chicago - I'm sure you can put together a couple of shoots on the same day to make a trip to either city worthwhile.

Sep 25 12 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Sichenze Photography

Powhatan, Virginia, US

I would also look to see if you can put up a travel notice or see if a Photographer puts one up where you are.  If you are going on vacation to FLD you might find a good photographer there or in the DC area there are a huge number of good TF guys.  There are a number in NY as well. So, think about that if you take a vacation to build in an extra day to shoot.

Sep 25 12 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Key

Long Beach, California, US

I shoot TF. Phototgraphy is very relaxing to me. Fun side "job"

Sep 25 12 05:44 pm Link

Model

Teeze 1

Kilcoy, Queensland, Australia

Hi iv done a few shoots with top well known Photoghers, but would love more cheers Teeze smile in the Brisbane,sunshine and gold coast surrounding areas also looking to model for magazines, panflet also commercials:)

Sep 25 12 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Burch Photography

Umatilla, Florida, US

There are many good product, landscape or architectural photographers that would love to shoot live subjects as TF. Look through a photographers port, find a genre that he doesn't have and see if he would TF to help both your ports. Many times he would say yes. I run into that problem all the time, for certain themes or styles I would shoot TF because its more about the art and the learning for that particular discipline. My bread and butter is on the product end but I love shooting all types of themes. Never limit yourself.

Sep 25 12 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Ani A wrote:
...struggled to find really good photographers....I'm not even sure where to start in order to find them!

Ani the lion's share of my commercial work comes from the ASMP
that said you'll not be finding TF work there...

Ani A wrote:

Let me reverse engineer this... what criteria do I use to search for the best TF models?  height i.e. 5'8" to 6'0"  Dress size 0 to 2  Experience  a.k.a. agency representation...   other talent pretty much remain invisible to my searches... albeit I only shoot fashion and beauty...   glamour, fine art, etc so popular on MM are of little if any interest to me... however with your charming look and stats there should be ample available talent on MM to accommodate your desires... 

btw, what to look for in an accomplished lens person's portfolio? a strong consistent visual statement...  And if they have male talent in their book most likely they are serious about a journey into the commercial arena...  i.e. not hobbyist...

all the best on your journey...

Sep 25 12 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

JGLabs

Mission Viejo, California, US

Wish you were in so Cal. I can't find any TF* models. I'll browse and contact 5 a night and not get any bites. And the ones that respond want money, even though they're listed as TF.

It makes me sad too. I'm offering free professional pics, to models that have nothing but cell phone pics in their port. And they're still not interested. I think a lot of the models in the OC that are signed up here aren't really serious about modeling.

How can you turn down free? Give me a few hours of your time and I'll give you great pics, for free!

/josh

Sep 25 12 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Sans Talbot

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Well, there's one good one here, now. I just moved up here from Austin. I haven't browsed the listings of other photographers, maybe I should and see if it's true that it's all just GWCs up here.

Sep 26 12 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Sans Talbot

Madison, Wisconsin, US

A can seen the dilemma. It's easy to search for models, because you may have a narrow selection criteria. 'I need a brunette A-cup who's of average height and height-weight proportional.'

Boom, search done, only twenty results within 50 miles.

For photographers, there's no way to narrow the search. All you can do is search for TFC, and you end up with a thousand profiles. Gotta do the legwork.

I do suggest selecting TCF in the search criteria, and sorting by lastest activity - people who haven't been on in a year probably won't reply to your emails.

Then, yeah, it's all down to the avatar. If it intrigues you, open it in a new tab, if it doesn't, pass it right by. Somebody who doesn't have the right chops to select a good avatar is a lot less likely to have what it takes artistically to take consistently great pictures, and you have hundreds, if not thousands, to choose from.

Then, after going over the profiles - the hardest part, actually contacting the photographer. I can count on two hands the number of models who've approached me, and all of them (ALL) have been either unsuitable for my TF work (not model quality), or were soliciting paying clients for nude shoots, or were men.

Although I'm sure lots of photogs will jump on to assure me that they're the pimp daddy supreme, and the world's best models flood their inbox, in my experience and that of the other photographers I've known personally who use this site, female models are as afraid to make an initial approach to photographers as women in general are to romantically approach men. I think it somehow triggers the same terrifying rejection-avoidance instinct.

If you have trouble approaching a photographer directly (and I'm not suggesting you do, Ana, you seem very forthright), I suggest creating a list - 'photographers I'd love to work with'. Add two or three of your favorite photos from each photographer you want to work with. They'll often take the bait - while not one qualified model has made initial contact with me by message, I've worked with several now who first came to my attention because I was added to their 'photogs I'd love to work with' list, and it occurred to me I'd love to work with them as well.

And hey - if you do make that list, make sure to put a few of my pics in it. I know we're already scheduled to work together, but it never hurts to pet a photographer's ego.

Sep 26 12 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticGlamour

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Ani A wrote:

Look for photographers that offer a lot of collaboration on a TF*. I find the best results are when the model is involved and enthused about the concept. It's not just a trade of time, but also a trade of ideas...so try to GET INVOLVED in the shoot. It HELPS the photographer and the resulting photos turn out much better.

Sep 27 12 12:38 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

have you set the browse function to "TF" when looking?

I'm not saying seach only with that, because sometimes people will say they don't do TF but will do it for the right model and concept, but at least it's a way to narrow down the search results!

Sep 27 12 12:57 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

I offer a lot of TF work and, quite frankly, most of it winds up at a dead-end. A complete waste of my time. Why? The flake rate is ungodly high. The rate of follow-through to finished shoot is even worse.

You're an attractive young woman who will, at the very least, pose in lingerie. The only reason you are having trouble finding TF photographers is because you're not looking hard enough (or you're expecting pre-press quality images for free.)

Sep 27 12 01:55 am Link

Photographer

LaurensAntoine 4 FHM

San Diego, California, US

Loki Studio wrote:
Most talented photographers will require payment from non agency models.  Most will also struggle to figure out why you would pay BP, Delta, and Holiday Inn-but not them.

Why would anyone shoot signed talent free, but not unsigned models? The ones signed make more money with your images that those that are not.

I do understand the BP/Delta/etc analogy though.

Sep 29 12 03:15 pm Link

Retoucher

Zoltan Retoucher

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

+1

+1

Sep 29 12 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

karenjerzykphotography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Also, dont be afraid to ask photographers for tf, even though it says "paid assignments only" in their profile.

If someone AMAZING contacts me, as in, someone I can see would definitely make port-worthy photos with me, I would definitely work TF with them. Portfolio-beneficial photos are worth more than getting paid in most instances.

Sep 29 12 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

JUSTIN GILL PHOTO

Los Angeles, California, US

Loki Studio wrote:
Most talented photographers will require payment from non agency models.  Most will also struggle to figure out why you would pay BP, Delta, and Holiday Inn-but not them.

Ani A wrote:
Well, I don't mind the travel, which rarely costs more than $20 in gas and tolls. Way cheaper than what I end up spending on wardrobe, even with thrift shop prices.

I think you're missing the point here.  While many talented photographers do indeed do trade and test shooting, it's typically with models who already have significant experience and -- better yet -- agency representation.

If you're looking for quality, you might be better off saving yourself time and hassle by hiring one decent nearby semi-professional photographer for $100, rather than spending $20 traveling to 5 different hobbyists looking to build their portfolios.

Sep 30 12 01:10 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Ani A wrote:
I've started TF modeling recently just for fun and have struggled to find really good photographers to work with, especially living in Wisconsin. I have mainly been traveling to work with the best, but usually I'm not even sure where to start in order to find them!

Finding High Quality TF Models? smile`

Sep 30 12 04:22 am Link

Photographer

Jhono Bashian

Cleveland, Ohio, US

William Kious wrote:
You're an attractive young woman who will, at the very least, pose in lingerie. The only reason you are having trouble finding TF photographers is because you're not looking hard enough (or you're expecting pre-press quality images for free.)

imagine that!!!

Sep 30 12 05:02 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

LaurensAntoine 4 FHM wrote:

Why would anyone shoot signed talent free, but not unsigned models? The ones signed make more money with your images that those that are not.

Its not that talented photographers don't or should not charge agency models, its just an easy tool to separate better talent from the mediocre without having to provide an actual critique.

Sep 30 12 08:04 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

J u s t i n G i l l wrote:

Loki Studio wrote:

I think you're missing the point here.  While many talented photographers do indeed do trade and test shooting, it's typically with models who already have significant experience and -- better yet -- agency representation.

If you're looking for quality, you might be better off saving yourself time and hassle by hiring one decent nearby semi-professional photographer for $100, rather than spending $20 traveling to 5 different hobbyists looking to build their portfolios.

Yes!

Sep 30 12 08:05 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

The browse feature comes up with 646 Wisconsin photographers who chose "Any," "Depends on assignment," or "Time for Print" under the compensation category, and it only took a few clicks to find some terrific portfolios.

That leads me to wonder how you define "high quality."  A lot of aspiring llamas around my area have the idea that no one who lives in their own zip code could possibly be good, just because they're local.  I've also run into llamas who say "high quality" and really mean "shoots only styles I like" or "never shoots anything I don't like."  Those girls always have a very difficult time finding "high quality" photographers.  Just food for thought.

Sep 30 12 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Reggie Dennis

Ashburn, Virginia, US

Browse the photogs port and contact some of the models they worked with.

Oct 01 12 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Silver Mirage wrote:
I get 296 photographers within 50 miles of Madison. Skimming quickly, I can see maybe 20 or 25 that look interesting to work with - or that would interest me were I a model.
That's actually more than I expected, and better quality. But not that many to work through.

You spend a couple of weeks approaching roughly the top 10% - the nines and tens on the old one-to-ten scale. If you don't find someone there then you have to decide whether to dip into the eights or try to travel.

Nice of Silver Mirage to convert your "zillions" to 296 and it was especially nice of him to convert your "long time to filter through" to 20-25. Glad he didn't offer them up on a silver platter. Forgive my levity, just my way of saying I know of no shortcuts to the answers you seek and, were it my issue, I would have approached it exactly as he did.

I'm guessing it took him less than an hour.

Oct 01 12 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I think pointing out in your profile that you are slender with long legs is a bit redundant. If they cannot tell from your portfolio, they should not be taking pictures.

And you are going through the same issues that bedevils photographers.

Oct 01 12 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Sugar Sharai wrote:
[
And youde be surprised the amount of "paid only" photographers that will be willing to work with you for TF, provided the creative content is something that could be of some serious value and benefit to them!  (i always scan their lists, credited shots, and bio, to find what their interests are, and i build on that, with a creative twist, to what they already enjoy doing)

Does that mean that if I listed myself as "paid only", I would be more in demand?
;>)

Oct 01 12 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

FIRE AND ICE PHOTOGRAPH

Arden Hills, Minnesota, US

Looking For Models Here in the Metro Area For A (Time for Cd) No-Cost Photo-Shoot On The Weekends, Feel Free to Message Me Or Contact me by e-mail: [email protected] thttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Fire-and-ice-Photography/491510834199269?ref=hl

Oct 05 12 07:01 am Link

Photographer

J Henry

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

I have never heard anyone say they couldn't find a good photographer in Wisconsin.   This could mean the Mayans were right, after all. 

I should go start a thread about how tough it is to find quality models for TF.  In all walks of life, quality is considered worth more investment.  If you have to invest more than just your time at the beginning, then so be it.

Oct 05 12 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Lee Nutter

Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

As has been said, almost everyone will accept TF providing it will benefit their portfolio. If you think you have something to offer (and I'd say that you do) then find the photographers that you most admire, or that you've heard spoken about in a positive way, and contact them directly. The worst thing that can happen is they say no, or offer you their rates.

Oct 08 12 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Eridu

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Loki Studio wrote:

Bingo!

Oct 10 12 06:01 am Link