Forums > Critique > BRING IT!

Model

Hel Inferna

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Ok I want to hear what you have to say about my portfolio. Be honest, do your worst, I can take it.

Critique away!

Aug 18 05 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Okay, I'll be honest. There is nothing in your profile that would draw me to use you as a model. The picture quality is poor for the most part. They don't show what you look like, but they do seem to show some personal interest in the macabre. Your portfolio and front page blurb seem to me more of an editorial statement about your interests than a models page meant to get the model work.

Aug 18 05 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I see the same thing.

Well actually don't see anything to attract me to use you as a model in your portfolio.

Looks like more effects than photographs.

Additionally, none of the images show any skills (other than ink and hair dye).

Find a direction then get some awesome photographers to shoot you.

Aug 18 05 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

What they said ^^

There isn't much different there from a lot of other alt models ports I've seen. You might want to throw a few mainstream pics in so others can see what you really look like, some clean headshots and with the tattoos maybe some artsy pinups. You might even open up a few more avenues of work. Nothing wrong with doing alt but if you're looking to make some money at this then don't severely limit yourself to just one genre.

And you should change your intro speech to what your goals in modeling are, what you want to accomplish etc., a bit more business like. Not many are interested in your personal likes and thoughts. Doesn't matter in modeling. Sounds like a "Myplace" speech.

Aug 18 05 01:15 pm Link

Model

Hel Inferna

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the pictures don't show what I look like. I have close ups and full body. What do you mean throw in some mainstream pics to show what I really look like? That is what i really look like.

More effects then photographs? What effects? I guess that would be things the photographer has done. I know more then half of my pics have no photoshopping done.

And with how I look, I don't think I can do any other genre then alt, so opening up more avenues of work doesn't really seem like an option.

Aug 18 05 01:24 pm Link

Model

Hel Inferna

Well if you were to take some away and keep some others wich would you choose? They're not all crap, a few have been in some big shows, sold alot of prints etc.

I should also stress I'm not trying to do commercial or fashion work at all. I'm more in the alt/fetish/erotic vein.

Aug 18 05 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Hel Inferna wrote:
Well if you were to take some away and keep some others wich would you choose? They're not all crap, a few have been in some big shows, sold alot of prints etc.

I should also stress I'm not trying to do commercial or fashion work at all. I'm more in the alt/fetish/erotic vein.

No, they're not all crap - and I don't particularly like most of what I see in this genre... But there's a lot of not particularly good images in your port here IMO.

I'd lose everything, but
- Ethan Long - Window
- Mykdru and I
- Nurse
- upside down

Your portfolio will be so much stronger with considerably less images, but limiting the images to ones with professional impact.

John

Aug 18 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Aug 18 05 02:20 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

an an honest level I think that your shots have this punk meets glamour meets hardcore meets androgynous feel to it, However I dont think that your portfolio shows your versatility and what you can realyl do as a model. what do you hope to achieve as a model?

Aug 18 05 02:29 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I left a comment on your ethan long gun pic...as I also have a cliche gun pic I did...but I would tend to agree with Melvin...glamour photographers and the photographers you are working with have diametrically opposed sensibilities. Your work will not appeal to them. You will probably not be attracted to their work either. It is a matter of different worlds. That is why the idea of being judged by a jury of your peers is perhaps a more helpful one than putting your self out there in general...

Aug 18 05 02:30 pm Link

Model

Hel Inferna

Thanks for all the feedback. I've changed a few images. I also changes what it says on my page.

My goals as a model are to have fun and make some extra money. And I would like to to this by in my own way contributing to a work of art.  Wich I have been doing. I enjoy doing erotica work, fine art as well as content for websites. And i get the occasional job mofdeling alt clothing, or some t shirt sites like rottoncotton, punkstuff, lollipop. I was the model for the merch for the new movie Land of the Dead. That was the "biggest" thing that I've done. I'm not trying to get into the industry or any such thing like that. Like I said, fun, some extra money, and a contribution to the arts.

Aug 18 05 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I think I have to go with Melvin on this.  She asked, however, for kind of an open critique.  Most of us here are not into the genre which kind of limits how appropriate our opinions are.

let's say Roger Ebert hates animation; would you really want his opinion on your new Anime feature?

or, a better example.  You find a group of photographers that focus on shooting church events and it's members.  Do you really want to ask their opinion on your new swimsuit session?

With that said, I think she should have asked for opinions from perhaps fans of alternative type of work.  It's important to know your audience.

Aug 18 05 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

For those saying some of the critiques aren't valid is total nonsense. You don't know what kind of work we have done in the past and speaking for myself I don't want much of that type of work up (yes, I have done it but I have no use for it now) since I really don't want or need those types of models.

There are many things I did I could not show here. Melvin, you're statement is irrelevant.

In your case Melvin, you do, that's fine. But don't ever say someone has not done it because they don't show it, there are reasons. I've worked with many goth and bondage models and once had studio sets only for that purpose. But I have a real "main st. studio" and showing that work and having those sets tends to scare mainstream people off. Don't be so quick to judge what you don't know.

By Hel Inferna: "I enjoy doing erotica work".
I've been internationally published in around 8 languages in erotica and nude publications. I believe I can make a valid critique on this post. Here's a sample, I don't make unbacked claims.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de … ce&s=books

She said "BRING IT!"
"Ok I want to hear what you have to say about my portfolio. Be honest, do your worst, I can take it.  Critique away!"

Then she questions every word and says she doesn't understand.
Then don't ask if you don't know what your asking for.

Aug 18 05 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Hel Inferna wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I've changed a few images. I also changes what it says on my page.

I only have a minute because the world is coming to an end here and the lightening might fry my computer. But, you have made your front page useful and helpful. Good work, nicely done.  I'll look at the pictures tomorrow when the sun is out and I'm not having to shut down in a hurry!

Aug 18 05 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Aug 18 05 04:40 pm Link

Model

Chill Factor

New York, New York, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
*Despite the obvious conflict-of-interest, I was asked by the model herself to contribute my opinion...believe me...I know how hinkey and self-serving this looks.

I think the real lesson here is what happens when people are asked to critique art that was done for reasons other than the ones they are familiar with.  While this is an open critique forum and the model did ask for it [why I don't know], I'm left wondering how much experience with alt/erotic/fetish imagery the first critics have.  Judging by their portfolios [yes I looked], the answer to that is "not much."  While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I always find myself wondering why people bother posting opinons on things they aren't "into" in the first place.

That said, I think your page is a strong alt/fetish/erotic/fine art portfolio.  It's not the least bit commerical...which I can only assume you know already.  I've happily worked with you several times specifically because your look was out of the mainstream...as is my own, I like to think.  Looking at your page, I honestly think that two of my own images are the weakest links [which means that I would have chosen different piceds from those respective sessions].  Just to get it over with, the two best of my own efforts are the forth on the right in the second row and the forth on the right of the fourth row.  The other four are nice, but I think we've done much stronger work together.

As for the rest.  I've always loved the image you picked for your avatar;  It's totally freaky and very kinky...what more can you ask of a fetish image?  The shot by Timothy Nolan is really different for you.  Quite beautiful and intriguing.  It may not show what you "look like," but it does let people know that you have some vesatility within your core look...that's something I always look for in an alt-model: the hint that I may find something than all the rest of the photographers have missed.

I think the Ethan Long shots are all strong except the one with the gun...That's just because I think guns/knives in alt/fetish imagery is chiched and overdone.  I know you and he have done much stronger pieces than that one.  The image by Judas isn't my cup of tea, but I realize that a lot of people like the "cute punk/goth/metal girl" thing, so it definitely has a place here.  I have a feeling the other shot by Judas [with the Iron] isn't the stongest from that set.  The two shots by Maga are probably the most "commercial" here, which is why they do so little for me, but I have a feeling that other photographers would like them, so they should stay.

If I were to give you any advice at all, it would be to talk to the actual photographers you've done these with, to see if they think there are stronger pieces from the various sessions.  I always wonder why models refuse to consult with the people they make images with after the fact.

What I really like about your port is what i don't see:  No bathtub of fake blood, no big boots in the foreground, no bat/angel wings, no "zombie" shots.  You have a lot of different feels to your portfolio without most of the cliche hangups that make [some] alt models so frustrating to work with.  I think you've done pretty well, really.

I agree! Keep on keeping on! New looks will eventually be captured by the right photographers. I say you have potential kiddo!

Aug 18 05 04:42 pm Link

Model

Hel Inferna

Glamour Studio /Gary wrote:
For those saying some of the critiques aren't valid is total nonsense. You don't know what kind of work we have done in the past and speaking for myself I don't want much of that type of work up (yes, I have done it but I have no use for it now) since I really don't want or need those types of models.

There are many things I did I could not show here. Melvin, you're statement is irrelevant.

In your case Melvin, you do, that's fine. But don't ever say someone has not done it because they don't show it, there are reasons. I've worked with many goth and bondage models and once had studio sets only for that purpose. But I have a real "main st. studio" and showing that work and having those sets tends to scare mainstream people off. Don't be so quick to judge what you don't know.

By Hel Inferna: "I enjoy doing erotica work".
I've been internationally published in around 8 languages in erotica and nude publications. I believe I can make a valid critique on this post. Here's a sample, I don't make unbacked claims.

She said "BRING IT!"
"Ok I want to hear what you have to say about my portfolio. Be honest, do your worst, I can take it.  Critique away!"

Then she questions every word and says she doesn't understand.
Then don't ask if you don't know what your asking for.

I'm ok with everyones critique, I only questioned what didn't make sense. Theres no way I can do venues other then alt. If you put me in a designer suit, or in a bikini on top of a sports car, I'd still have all the tattoos and dreadlocks hanging out. And I really don't understand why people were saying you couldn't see what I really looked like, Its all pic of me, close ups, full body, everything.

As far as criticism goes I'm fine with it, I took what I heard and changed things. I'm fine with it. I don't care if you hate what I've done. We're after comepletely seperate things. I'm not into the glamour shots/sears portrait studio look as much as you're not into alternitive erotica.

Its cool dude, thanks for the input. smile

Aug 18 05 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

My favorite current actor, Edward Norton Jr. is anti-smoking...to the point where he demands a script change if the scene calls for him to smoke.

I'm the same way with guns.  I even refused a five-figure project that called for a gun scene (although I have shot period costume work that included a gun on a set). 

But not a model image.  A model holding a gun in an image is immediately cast aside and won't be given the time of day in consideration.  There are much better ways to portray beauty and the beast...

But that's just me.

Aug 18 05 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Send those jobs to me!  I'll shoot...er...take pictures of models with guns smile

As for Eddie...he's a great actor.  But...*ahem*...I'm surprised that someone in Hollywood is promoting censorship.  I mean, if the writer creates a character that smokes and he wishes to play that character, then he should SMOKE!!

But, we do need context.  If the movie folks go to him and say, "hey, we want you to play Madame X."  And his response is, "Ok, but I do not want to smoke during this part." That is ok.  No problem with that.  Then I blame the producers/writers for bending to the whims of an actor.

Aug 19 05 10:11 am Link