Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Foundation for pale skin?

Photographer

Kayleigh Holmes

Aldershot, England, United Kingdom

Hi,

I've been trying to find a new foundation and got a skin test at a local boots but was told I was too pale for any of their No7 foundations. I realise I may need to get a higher quality brand to find one that matches my skin tone, I was just wondering if any of you had any suggestions on which brands have very good foundations for the extremely pale smile

Oct 08 12 02:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lauren Reynolds Makeup

London, England, United Kingdom

Lots of info here (from the FAQ):

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 9089&page=

I'm personally very pale and like Make-Up Forever foundations the best. You're right, drugstore "pale" isn't usually very pale at all!

Oct 08 12 04:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Vanessa Dawn- Jhaesayte

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Make Up For Ever is nice. I use it in my kit, mixed with Face Atelier's white foundation. You could also check out Graftobian as well. Manic Panic makes a while foundation too which you could also mix into foundations that arent light enough for you.

Oct 08 12 05:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SD Makeup Artisty

Hicksville, New York, US

Kayleigh Holmes wrote:
Hi,

I've been trying to find a new foundation and got a skin test at a local boots but was told I was too pale for any of their No7 foundations. I realise I may need to get a higher quality brand to find one that matches my skin tone, I was just wondering if any of you had any suggestions on which brands have very good foundations for the extremely pale smile

Loreal Tru Match might have something light enough. I think hey have a really good color selection.  If not, Graftobian makes an ultra lights palette for people with reallyyyyy pale skin, and you can order the full size of any of the colors once you find your shade.  It's a really amazing foundation.

Oct 08 12 06:13 pm Link

Model

Miroslava Svoboda

Seattle, Washington, US

I really love Bobbi Brown make up, I had to buy their stick recently and I used it for my avie picture and a few before that. So far I am very happy with it.

Oct 08 12 06:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

M_M_MU

Seattle, Washington, US

I think that if you are very light skinned, you will need to add a white color adjuster no matter what liquid foundation you go with. You can use Temptu color adjusters with MUFE HD or other similar liquid foundations. Or, as previously suggested, the Face Atelier color adjuster is also compatible with quite a few liquids.

Otherwise, you may have to go to something like Mehron Celebre HD to get lighter shades in enough variety to really get a match. "Light Olive" is lighter and warmer than it appears on their color chart. The others are pretty self-explanatory. I'm not sure about everyday wearing of Mehron, so perhaps someone else has an opinion on that.

Oct 08 12 06:52 pm Link

Model

Ainsley Alexandra

Saint John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

SD Makeup Artisty wrote:
Loreal Tru Match might have something light enough. I think hey have a really good color selection.

For drugstore brands, I second the L'Oreal True Match recommendation. I use their Classic Ivory (N2), and they have foundations one shade lighter still.

Oct 08 12 07:17 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

I'm ghost pale with a yellow/olive undertone, and the only drugstore level foundation I've ever found that worked was L'oreal true match W1.

MUA on shoots tend to blend 2 shades to match me.

Oct 08 12 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

Makeup Forever. They go pale as the dead. You can also get a white mixer fluid to make it even lighter

Oct 08 12 09:23 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Drugstore wise, revlons photo ready ivory (or whatever the lightest one is) is the best match I've ever found. For most drugstore ones, if they're light enough, they're too yellow, and if they're pink enough, they're too dark.

I've never worked with an Mua that got my foundation correct ( a few HORRIBLY off), so I haven't a clue what matches my skin tone on a professional quality level.

Oct 08 12 09:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Our best selling color and brand to light light skin is Joe Blasco Alabaster... I think everyone in Finland wears it.  You can get a sample and try it. http://camerareadycosmetics.com/product … ation.html

Mary
www.CRCmakeup.com

Oct 08 12 10:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tara Pagliara MUA

New York, New York, US

Illmasqua Skin Base line has a pure white mixer and they have a large color range going from the lightest of light to very dark.

Oct 09 12 05:58 am Link

Model

_ Robyn Elizabeth _

I use Diorskin Nude foundation.  They have some that are very pale.

It's not that cheap but equally it's not at the tope of the price range either so I consider it worth it.  Plus it's a nice light foundation.

Oct 09 12 06:16 am Link

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Hi!

I alternate between Yves Saint Laurent (the one in the glass tube) which is very light and natural. This foundation is often used during catwalks.

For more coverance I take Clinique (pressed powder which is foundation+powder in one product).

Hope this helps!

Oct 09 12 11:14 am Link

Model

Sarah Robinson-Bird

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom

Laura UnBound wrote:
Drugstore wise, revlons photo ready ivory (or whatever the lightest one is) is the best match I've ever found. For most drugstore ones, if they're light enough, they're too yellow, and if they're pink enough, they're too dark.

I've never worked with an Mua that got my foundation correct ( a few HORRIBLY off), so I haven't a clue what matches my skin tone on a professional quality level.

I use Revlon's colourstay in that colour if I'm going out and need heavier coverage. I've also found that Rimmels concelaer stick in ivory is pretty good and paler than Revlon's ivory.
I've seen white foundations so it might be worth mixing your own, which has the advantage that you can adapt it for potential tans (or burns if you're pale!) and other skin tone fluctuations.
I'd recommend having the stuff slapped on by the girls at the counter and seeing how it looks an hour and an afternoon later to see if it's still a good match. I've found some amazing foundations at first that turned orange within an hour (I'm looking at you MAC)

Oct 09 12 12:03 pm Link

Model

LisaInLondon

I use L'oreal true match in rose ivory when I do use foundation. I've found that one to be the only one light enough within my student budget. I noticed even some MUA's don't carry my shade and have to mix it up to make it light enough!
On a daily base I use the Skin79 Super+ BB cream. It smoothes out your skintone and makes it more vibrant and healthy looking. I've never loved a make-up product this much!

Oct 09 12 12:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Meena Heartsong

Columbia, Missouri, US

Clinique BB Cream in 01 is a super pale gorgeous pink undertoned foundation (and sunscreen, serum, illuminator and a little more coverage than a tinted mositurizer in one!) they have some pretty light colors in their Stay Matte Line and Redness Solutions 01 is an incredible foundation with built in color corrector and strengthens your skin with probiotics as you wear it.
BB Cream and the Redness Solutions do have sunscreens so beware for pictures, but for everyday are amazing! Stay Matte foundation has none and looks great on camera.
Some of the most beautiful pale shades I've inquired about are Illamasqua Skin Base which I hear nothing but good things about.
I also concur with MUFE recommendations.

Oct 12 12 11:34 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Super helpful thread. smile

Oct 13 12 09:36 pm Link

Model

Lila McGreggor

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I have troubles with this a lot. I look darker in my pics but they were taken right after a beach vacation lol. I have found bb creams are perfect for me. They add the perfect amount of coverage but arent super dark. I can use them for pictures or just running about which is fab. I hate having products i only use on occasion.

Sephora or Ulta are my stores for makeup. Swear by those stores even if i pay a wee bit more.

Thank you for this helpful thread ladies!

Oct 14 12 10:02 pm Link

Model

Laura Fillisch-Wilson

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Thirding MUFE. A MUA recently ordered in Mat Velvet+ in 15 (alabaster) with me in mind. It is PERFECT! I am paler than everything MAC and L'Oreal stock in Australia at least.

(Except they test on animals so not for my personal use, boo!)

Oct 16 12 02:24 am Link

Model

Miss AY

Bulqizë, Bulqizë, Albania

Throw my hat in for MUFE as well, I could never find anything that was actually pale... the foundation always ended up orange no matter what! I finally invested in a bottle of MUFE foundation in a light shade and haven't looked back since. I would never use drugstore brands now.

Oct 16 12 08:48 am Link

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

i use the palest covergirl shade (ivory i think)

Oct 16 12 09:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

Liv Free MUAH

Lincoln, England, United Kingdom

I am UBER pale. I have a real problem with finding pale foundations - but I recently came across this video on youtube, it should help you (it helped me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RQHn-uOWfw

Oct 19 12 01:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

Dorota MUA

Leeds, England, United Kingdom

Hi, I have the same problem, in winter I am extremely pale.

Most foundations, BB creams, tinted moisturisers  are still too dark for me. I needed good coverage and long lasting foundation - so I started testing better brands & I found best ever - Lancome got TEINT IDOLE ULTRA 24H.  Wide range of colours, perfect coverage, still looks perfect after 12 of work! enough just few drops to cover full face!- price is about 30 pound - but I can guarantee that you will use it a long time. Perfect matt with  really light natural shine on face.

When I have tested it in shop I wasn't convinced - I always like to check how is it wearing off... so I get the "small" tester - that last for about 8 make-ups!

I know that this is new different technology of foundations that doesn't over-drying of your face... Clinique & BobbiBrown got something like this too, but - I don't know which one it is & is the shade will match for you.

Liv Free MUAH wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RQHn-uOWfw

Thank you - It's really helpful!

Oct 19 12 08:01 am Link

Model

HaleyR

Gadsden, Alabama, US

I love Mary Kay. I'm always pale even when I tan I don't get super dark. Their makeup works well for me.

Oct 19 12 10:57 am Link

Model

Laura Thachuk

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I have very pale skin with yellow undertones, and I swear by Laura Mercier's loose mineral powder (I use the shade Soft Porcelain). It creates a lovely matte finish that doesn't look like powder at all. Lately I've been using it over top of Make Up Forever's HD liquid foundation. Laura Mercier also carries an awesome concealer duo (called 'undercover pot') for very light skin tones. It has a creamy, illuminating under-eye concealer, a slightly thicker concealer for the face, as well as a setting powder, all in one!

Nov 21 12 06:46 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Most of the high-end brands don't make foundation in light enough shades for me.  After much searching (and trying practically every brand), I finally found a few that are light enough:

NARS- Sheer Glow liquid foundation, color: Siberia (My favorite for photo shoots)
MAC- StudioFix powder foundation, color: NC15 (NC20 in summer) They almost never stock these colors in the stores, you have to order them from the website.
DIORskin- "Forever" or "Nude" liquid foundation, color: Ivory

I tried MUFE and hated it.  The lightest shades are much too pink, and the one's without the pink undertones are too dark.

Whenever I work with MUA's, I just bring my NARS foundation, because they never have one in their kit that's light enough for me.

For drugstore brands, I agree with Laura- Revlon has the best shades for superlight skin.

Nov 21 12 08:06 pm Link

Model

NatalieGlasgowModel

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

L'oreal true match or MAC

Nov 23 12 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Kantorka

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

I'm not sure about availability, but I've found that, if you're looking for heavy coverage, Kryolan's camouflage cream works wonderfully for pale skin and it comes in a plethora of shades.

Nov 23 12 04:39 pm Link

Model

Seker Pare

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

I am very pale...

I used to use prescriptives - which was perfect but
then they stopped selling it at the shop.

I then tried MAC which was not perfect but looked fine as long as I used very light pressed powder over the top of it.

I tried chantecaille - which is PERFECT and feels great but is quite expensive for the tiny little amount you get in the pot. I don't use foundation often so if you want something perfect and don't mind spending over 100 on a bottle of foundation - it's super.

I have just recently found the perfect foundation for me in the body shop. It feels nice, looks perfect and is also about 35 for a decent sized bottle. It also has a push button so you're not accidentally pouring out way too much and wasting it. I'd suggest it - extremely extremely happy smile

Nov 23 12 09:01 pm Link