Forums > General Industry > On bras...

Photographer

Visual Serotonin

Los Angeles, California, US

What is it with most models insisting on keeping bras on? even with the most not see through fabrics on?

Wasn't that a symbol of oppression burned in the 1960s? smile

More seriously I see perfect shots ruined by bra lines.

Puritanism to hide what cannot be seen anyways? unless it is done to hide any trace of nipples on the overlaying fabric.

Bras as I recall were invented to let middle aged women not have their breasts sag and go down to their bellies, not to have teenage and 20 something women press on perfectly firm front appendages with another layer of clothing in the context of a shoot, which does try to portray what is uncommon in real life in an instant of fantasy.

And last I checked most fashion shows do not involve women wearing bras, sometimes with almost transparent fabrics, unless it is explicitly lingerie or bikinis.

It is not that I have a problem getting models to do away with them, just strange that I have to always remind them to take it off to eliminate the lines and have an extra deformity on the shoulders. An article from a french article on fashion always said bras (and most of the times underwear) are a no no due to the lines.

Oct 14 12 12:05 am Link

Model

ChaiNoir

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

I dont both wearing one to my shoots!! Its not staying on!!

Oct 14 12 12:09 am Link

Photographer

DVP Photography

Broomfield, Colorado, US

Any good glamour model should not wear a bra.  However, it's not a matter of age.  I see many late teen and 20's models on MM who have to wear a bra as they have let themselves go.

Oct 14 12 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Visual Serotonin

DVP Photography wrote:
Any good glamour model should not wear a bra.  However, it's not a matter of age.  I see many late teen and 20's models on MM who have to wear a bra as they have let themselves go.

They shouldn't be modelling then, unless they are exceptionally big to the point they need some support. Any size 2 and below model will have A-B cups that hold perfectly by themselves.

When I grew up in France I remember how few bras young women wore... in America another story smile

Sometimes I feel they wear 2 layers, not just one.

Oct 14 12 12:16 am Link

Model

Amber Tench

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Visual Serotonin wrote:
They shouldn't be modelling then, unless they are exceptionally big to the point they need some support. Any size 2 and below model will have A-B cups that hold perfectly by themselves.

That is quite an assumption. Professional fashion models, sure, for the most part will fit that standard. In the MM world though where there is an abundance of hobby models, I don't think that is a fair statement. There are plenty of lovely ladies on here that are around a size 2 but with larger-than-A-or-B-cup breasts. Then there is the genetic factor of skin elasticity... some girls can get away with D cup, no bra, and hold up fine. Others can be B cup, wear a bra constantly, and gravity will still find a way.

Oct 14 12 12:21 am Link

Model

Miroslava Svoboda

Seattle, Washington, US

In Europe they can also wear minis with no undies, US is a whole different story however.

Now I don't know what shoulder lines are, guess I probably don't really get those but I wish I could just walk around everywhere without one. Granted that's not possible because of all the dirty looks I'll get from folks around here; even if you can't see anything under clothing the nipple would still show giving away that you're not wearing a bra. The story of my life!

Oct 14 12 12:26 am Link

Model

Amelia Simone

Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico

My boobs are too big to be going braless most of the time. Thats too much unwanted attention. Props to those that can go braless though. I do try to wear dresses with support built in when I  go to a shoot to avoid linezz

Oct 14 12 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Visual Serotonin

Amelia Simone wrote:
My boobs are too big to be going braless most of the time. Thats too much unwanted attention. Props to those that can go braless though. I do try to wear dresses with support built in when I  go to a shoot to avoid linezz

I am talking during a shoot... as in a controlled environment away from the general populace, unless it's an outdoor shoot of course smile

Oct 14 12 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Visual Serotonin wrote:

Nope. It was the 1970's. smile

In the 60's they just dispensed with bras because everyone was happy and high. Not necessarily in that order.

Of course many of the women who burned them (no, not all) kept a few extra bras and wore one around - so there would be something to burn if they happened onto another demonstration, no doubt.

Oct 14 12 12:43 am Link

Photographer

DVP Photography

Broomfield, Colorado, US

Visual Serotonin wrote:

When I grew up in France I remember how few bras young women wore... in America another story smile

Sometimes I feel they wear 2 layers, not just one.

Model Mayhem is full of hobbiest models or model wannabees, whose breasts don't make the grade to go without a bra but who want to model.  And they are not big to where they have to have support.  They have the droopies, sad to say, and as I said, it isn't a matter of age.  Just wander around ports on MM and you'll see this quite frequently.

Oct 14 12 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Visual Serotonin wrote:
What is it with most llamas insisting on keeping bras on? even with the most not see through fabrics on?

More seriously I see perfect shots ruined by bra lines.

Puritanism to hide what cannot be seen anyways? unless it is done to hide any trace of nipples on the overlaying fabric.

Bras as I recall were invented to let middle aged women not have their breasts sag and go down to their bellies, not to have teenage and 20 something women press on perfectly firm front appendages with another layer of clothing in the context of a shoot, which does try to portray what is uncommon in real life in an instant of fantasy.

And last I checked most fashion shows do not involve women wearing bras, sometimes with almost transparent fabrics, unless it is explicitly lingerie or bikinis.

It is not that I have a problem getting llamas to do away with them, just strange that I have to always remind them to take it off to eliminate the lines and have an extra deformity on the shoulders. An article from a french article on fashion always said bras (and most of the times underwear) are a no no due to the lines.

Pretty much every shoot I've done where the llama was at least 18, I just tell them not to wear a bra to the shoot.  Whether it's for nudes, or for  a strapless gown, they cause problems.  But it's essential to work within the llama's limits.

Oct 14 12 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

DVP Photography wrote:
Model Mayhem is full of hobbiest models or model wannabees, whose breasts don't make the grade to go without a bra but who want to model.  And they are not big to where they have to have support.  They have the droopies, sad to say, and as I said, it isn't a matter of age.  Just wander around ports on MM and you'll see this quite frequently.

What?

Oct 14 12 12:51 am Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Chicago, Illinois, US

I used to cling to my bra:/
I also used to be a D...
I refuse to know my cup size nowadays..
Anywhoo, the actual point is I also rarely wear a bra anymore. Kinda pointless.

PS- did you mean to post this on national no bra day?(:

Oct 14 12 12:53 am Link

Model

Miroslava Svoboda

Seattle, Washington, US

DVP Photography wrote:

What does let themselves go really means in this case? Just curious.

Oct 14 12 12:58 am Link

Model

ChaiNoir

Art of the nude wrote:
What?

ART OF THE NUDE - I too am thinking the same thing..

DVP Photography ..... What you said will be hurtful to many.

Breasts come in all shapes , sizes and also different fat and muscle mass. They are all beautiful.

Oct 14 12 01:02 am Link

Model

ChaiNoir

Eden Macieira wrote:
What does let themselves go really means in this case? Just curious.

+1 ..... This is going to be interesting!

Oct 14 12 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Visual Serotonin

Presley ONeil wrote:
I used to cling to my bra:/
I also used to be a D...
I refuse to know my cup size nowadays..
Anywhoo, the actual point is I also rarely wear a bra anymore. Kinda pointless.

PS- did you mean to post this on national no bra day?(:

Had no clue? is that the national no bra day today? smile

Oct 14 12 01:14 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You can't "let yourself go" in terms of the way your tits look, that's fucking ridiculous and shows that you know absolutely nothing about the female body (or any body and the way that it stores fat inside it's skin for that matter)

There are extremely skinny fit and healthy women who don't have perky perfect breasts for no other reason than they werent born that way

There are extremely tiny women with huge tits for no other reason than they were born that way and that's where their body decides to store its fat (I'm sorry, what exercise do you do to lose weight in your tits?)

There are larger women who, when theyre heavy, have great huge perky fantastic tits, but when they lose weight, yes the fat comes out of their tits too, and depending on their age and how well their skin and muscle "bounce back" their breasts may be less than perfect

Your breasts change through both puberty and pregnancy, as well as when you add hormonal medications into your life (or take them away)

There are women who have had breast reductions, breast cancer, etc

So what exactly is it that you know about "the droopies" and how those women don't care for their bodies well enough?

Oct 14 12 01:15 am Link

Model

Amelia Simone

Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico

Visual Serotonin wrote:

I am talking during a shoot... as in a controlled environment away from the general populace, unless it's an outdoor shoot of course smile

Ohh ok. Haha im now zipping it tongue

Oct 14 12 01:18 am Link

Model

ChaiNoir

Amelia Simone wrote:

Ohh ok. Haha im now zipping it tongue

Lol +1

Oct 14 12 01:19 am Link

Model

Miroslava Svoboda

Seattle, Washington, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
You can't "let yourself go" in terms of the way your tits look, that's fucking ridiculous\

+1

The number one reason for droopiness is sudden, significant weight loss and the woman doesn't even have to be overweight to begin with.

Oct 14 12 01:28 am Link

Photographer

Through Elizabeths Eyes

Yelm, Washington, US

Come on you guys. Don't feed the old trolls.

Good to see you again, Synergy Visuals. I thought you got banned.

Oct 14 12 01:29 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Eden Macieira wrote:

+1

The number one reason for droopiness is sudden, significant weight loss and the woman doesn't even have to be overweight to begin with.

How completely irresponsible of her to get in shape, it just RUINS her tits. Obviously she doesn't care about the way she looks to a bunch of dudes with her bra off.

Oct 14 12 01:29 am Link

Model

IDiivil

I don't wear a bra 12 hours before a shoot or at all during the shoot unless a bra is necessary for the concept.

I'm also super tiny in the boobies, though, so I have the freedom to walk around doing errands outside without people realizing I'm bra-less. Only really an issue during the summer when I'm wearing thin fabrics and the air conditioning is on in the stores...

Maybe you should recommend your models to go bra-less at least before the shoot so you don't get the lines in your images.

... and kindly shut up about this droop and fat and whatnot talk. It's rude as hell :S

Oct 14 12 01:30 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Through Elizabeths Eyes wrote:
Come on you guys. Don't feed the old trolls.

Good to see you again, Synergy Visuals. I thought you got banned.

Ah. That guy.

Oct 14 12 01:30 am Link

Model

Scarlett Hellion

San Antonio, Texas, US

I keep my bra on as a courtesy to my husband.  Everyone has boobs, but this particular set are his and his alone. Maybe it is more of a privacy thing than anything else.

Oct 14 12 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Visual Serotonin

Scarlet Hellion wrote:
I keep my bra on as a courtesy to my husband.  Everyone has boobs, but this particular set are his and his alone. Maybe it is more of a privacy thing than anything else.

You mean during shoots? Under piles of clothing?

Oct 14 12 01:34 am Link

Model

Miroslava Svoboda

Seattle, Washington, US

Visual Serotonin wrote:

You mean during shoots? Under piles of clothing?

If it's piles of clothing then the lines you spoke about wouldn't be an issues. I assume piles is layers or exuberant details. Now the only time I see lines being an issues is when it's just one layer of thin fabric.

Oct 14 12 01:38 am Link

Model

Miroslava Svoboda

Seattle, Washington, US

oh and there are always options
http://www.amazon.com/Maidenform-Womens … 01286B48/2

I bring with me at least two different backless options and a seven way bra.

Oct 14 12 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Ben Hinman

Westwood, California, US

Its all a matter of preference. Most anyone i've ever seen adamantly against it are hippies... Oppression my ass though, no ones making you wear it if you don't want to hahaha

Oct 14 12 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Ben Hinman wrote:
Its all a matter of preference. Most anyone i've ever seen adamantly against it are hippies... Oppression my ass though, no ones making you wear it if you don't want to hahaha

There was no direct or indirect correlation between wearing a bra and such issues as equal pay. Bra burning was strictly symbolic, and the bra was just a convenient symbol. That's probably why many women would burn one and wear another one the next day - and continue to wear them to this day.

Oct 14 12 02:46 am Link

Model

Saedcantas

Saint Saviour, Saint Saviour, United Kingdom

Laura UnBound wrote:
You can't "let yourself go" in terms of the way your tits look, that's fucking ridiculous and shows that you know absolutely nothing about the female body (or any body and the way that it stores fat inside it's skin for that matter)... etc

+1 to the absolute max.

Oct 14 12 03:38 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

They do seem a little redundant on most A-cup ladies.

But if they didn't wear them we'd miss the enjoyment of removing them wink

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Oct 14 12 03:44 am Link

Photographer

JBlakePhoto

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
There are extremely skinny fit and healthy women who don't have perky perfect breasts for no other reason than they werent born that way

Except yours are in-fact perfect smile

Oct 14 12 11:19 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ask the models to not wear a bra 1-2 hours before shooting with you. Problem solved.

What I do with my body is none of your fucking business.

Oct 14 12 11:24 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

As I read this...it is rather cryptic...but I think he is pissed that models won't remove the bras under sheer clothing for clothed shoots.

If non-nude models respond to your "no nudity" castings, then don't expect them to be willing to shed their bra underneath clothes either.  It is something you should make clear in your castings.

If a girl won't show her nipples in a topless shoot, she probably won't show them under skimpy or sheer clothes either...you need ask what their limits are before you shoot.

Oct 14 12 11:30 am Link

Photographer

imcFOTO

Bothell, Washington, US

DVP Photography wrote:
They have the droopies, sad to say, and as I said, it isn't a matter of age.  Just wander around ports on MM and you'll see this quite frequently.

And do you wonder why woman feel compelled to wear bras when you refer to their breasts as 'droopies'?

Oct 14 12 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

imcFOTO

Bothell, Washington, US

P I X I E wrote:
Ask the models to not wear a bra 1-2 hours before shooting with you. Problem solved.

What I do with my body is none of your fucking business.

Bravo! I do make a point of including the "Don't wear tight bras prior to shoot" advice - even when we're not shooting nude or topless. An off the shoulder top would still reveal the strap marks if they are severe.

I agree about it being your business - but it is relevant to a shoot. I've tried shooting with someone wearing a flesh colored bra that was showing thru the arm holes of a top - it doesn't look good - so a model needs to be flexible about what she wears. And by that I mean - having alternate bras that are more compatible with the outfits. Strapless bras for instance, smooth cup bras - these can all be very helpful.

Oct 14 12 12:17 pm Link

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

i can understand not wearing a bra for certain outfits, or even a couple of hours before (although that'd feel really awkward.)

but if you're saying i should never wear a bra, ever, that's not gonna happen

Oct 14 12 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Ash Film Group

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Visual Serotonin wrote:

Had no clue? is that the national no bra day today? smile

It is on July 9th. I think she is stating you should have waited until then for some reason.

Oct 14 12 12:26 pm Link