This thread was locked on 2012-11-07 08:28:04
Forums > Critique > Diamond in the Rough? Or Underappreciated beauty?

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

Kimberley Elodie wrote:

Hi sugar, I definitely will be working it. I already know I need better photogs, that is why I joined the site (derp). But thanks for commenting.

I hate to burst your bubble into a thousand little sad pieces of forced delusion, but I am definitely not a plus size model. Since I am under 5'7", I am classified as petite in height. But you, you clearly are plus size (or attempting to be). Can you not see the differences in your and my body types? I am a size 4. Sorry honey.

But, here, let me google those for you so you do not continue this line of flawed logic....
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=plus+size+model 
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=petite+model

Size four?

Back in the day, when I was at my slimmest (115 pounds) I was a size six.  I'm 5'5".  My measurements at the time were 34-24-36 with a B cup size.  You are not a size four, unless your clothing has been incorrectly labeled.

You asked for help in the critique section.  Be more realistic and honest about what you have to offer.

(IBTL)

Nov 06 12 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Blue Ash Film Group

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:

So far, its absolutely wonderful

I have a feeling this is not a real profile that started this thread, but at least it is entertaining on a day where everybody is being so serious out in the "real world".

Nov 06 12 06:56 am Link

Model

Pretty Kimmy

New York, New York, US

Karl Blessing wrote:
Arguing with your respondents in a critique post... that tends to end well.

PS: If you're self-admitantly new... it helps not to argue with the actual experienced people on the boards, makes you look silly. I agree with most of the responses above regarding the quality of your work.

Hi Karl. What I am doing is not really arguing, it is more like providing clarity to misguided thoughts. The problem with these online communities is that everyone is anonymous, no matter how many photos, videos, comments, bios, and even 'proofs' people can put on their site. Fact of the matter is that everyone knows that the chances of interacting with these individuals in real life are ridiculously slim (unless a collective effort is made towards meeting up).

Nov 06 12 06:57 am Link

Retoucher

Rob Mac Studio

London, England, United Kingdom

Diamond in the Rough? Or Underappreciated beauty?

... are there any other choices as they seem to be synonymous.

Nov 06 12 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Karl Blessing wrote:

PS: If you're self-admitantly new... it helps not to argue with the actual experienced people on the boards, makes you look silly. I agree with most of the responses above regarding the quality of your work.

Kimberley Elodie wrote:
Hi Karl. What I am doing is not really arguing, it is more like providing clarity to misguided thoughts. The problem with these online communities is that everyone is anonymous, no matter how many photos, videos, comments, bios, and even 'proofs' people can put on their site. Fact of the matter is that everyone knows that the chances of interacting with these individuals in real life are ridiculously slim (unless a collective effort is made towards meeting up).

I doubt that, half the professionals in this thread list their real name on their profile, This is my real name, that's my real cat, my photos are really taken by me, my actual phone number and address is on copies of model releases provided.

So naturally I wouldn't blame being anonymous on the style of some people's responses.

But providing inaccurate/false information, tends to be worse than just hiding behind being anonymous. Makes it hard to hook up with decent photographers, since fake information tends to be a red flag.

Nov 06 12 07:01 am Link

Photographer

In Balance Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

DivaEroticus wrote:
Be more realistic and honest about what you have to offer.
(IBTL)

Going forward, this will be the major issue - especially the honesty part. Most of the people here have not just fallen off the turnip truck.

Your reputation is incredibly important - once people think you are trying to deceive them, you are really cooked.

Model

Pretty Kimmy

New York, New York, US

DivaEroticus wrote:

Size four?

Back in the day, when I was at my slimmest (115 pounds) I was a size six.  I'm 5'5".  My measurements at the time were 34-24-36 with a B cup size.  You are not a size four, unless your clothing has been incorrectly labeled.

You asked for help in the critique section.  Be more realistic and honest about what you have to offer.

(IBTL)

That's odd, because when I was 110lbs with a B-cup at 5'3" i fit into a size 0. Everybody's body is different! Maybe you should not be so quick to call people out; when I go shopping at the mall, these are the sizes I come back with. They fit me beautifully. In my photos I was a bit heavier but my measurements are accurate. Thanks for the input though!

Model

Pretty Kimmy

New York, New York, US

In Balance Photography wrote:

If you like to model, by all means model. However, be prepared to use the earnings from tutoring to pay for your hobby.

LOL! Too funny! If you didn't read my prior comment, I took my hobby to a profession after I started making professional money. So there is no need to dip into my tutoring earning to take photos.

Nov 06 12 07:05 am Link

Model

Pretty Kimmy

New York, New York, US

In Balance Photography wrote:

Going forward, this will be the major issue - especially the honesty part. Most of the people here have not just fallen off the turnip truck.

Your reputation is incredibly important - once people think you are trying to deceive them, you are really cooked.

Thanks for the pointer. But to reiterate, everything on my profile is true. I didn't join this site to make lies, it is an investment. I started a new diet so stay tuned for my new measurements in a few weeks. You will see more of me very very soon.

Nov 06 12 07:07 am Link

Model

Pretty Kimmy

New York, New York, US

Karl Blessing wrote:

Karl Blessing wrote:

I doubt that, half the professionals in this thread list their real name on their profile, This is my real name, that's my real cat, my photos are really taken by me, my actual phone number and address is on copies of model releases provided.

So naturally I wouldn't blame being anonymous on the style of some people's responses.

But providing inaccurate/false information, tends to be worse than just hiding behind being anonymous. Makes it hard to hook up with decent photographers, since fake information tends to be a red flag.

Thanks for the tip, I try to keep up with my changing body and make sure that all the information I post is accurate. What are the odds of me and you bumping into each other today? Ya, they're incredibly slim... and that's why I say people go on the internet and act differently than they would in person. I wasn't talking about you or your cat, or even anyone specifically who replied to this thread when I said that. I merely wanted to bring awareness to this trend.

Nov 06 12 07:10 am Link

Photographer

In Balance Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Kimberley Elodie wrote:

Thanks for the pointer. But to reiterate, everything on my profile is true. I didn't join this site to make lies, it is an investment. I started a new diet so stay tuned for my new measurements in a few weeks. You will see more of me very very soon.

You can reiterate that everything you said is the god's honest truth, but the pictures you have in your portfolio don't support it.

Either way, *you* need to make the pictures and the measurements (height and weight) match.

Nov 06 12 07:11 am Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

Kimberley Elodie wrote:

That's odd, because when I was 110lbs with a B-cup at 5'3" i fit into a size 0. Everybody's body is different! Maybe you should not be so quick to call people out; when I go shopping at the mall, these are the sizes I come back with. They fit me beautifully. In my photos I was a bit heavier but my measurements are accurate. Thanks for the input though!

I am in no way "call[ing] people out."  And it's not odd that I was a size six with the measurements I had at the time.  I'm sure your clothing DOES fit you beautifully, but the sizes in today's market are not true.  And if you don't look like the photos in your port, take them down and put up accurate ones.  And put up a snapshot of what you look like now, in a bra and panties, so potential photographers can see your actual shape and size.

Nov 06 12 07:13 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

By the way your profile lacks one thing all new models should have: A clean unaltered/non-post-processed straight on headshot. The only one you have there seems to have a bit too much post or too low a quality due to jpeg artifacting to be useful.

But what you get that in there plus a typical lingerie shot (as noted above) to more accurately show your figure, you'll give photographers a better visual idea of what they have to work with as far as your appearance goes.

Nov 06 12 07:24 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

while you are an attractive young woman, you are not model material.

I don't believe for one minute that you are making a living off modeling, perhaps if you were nude art model, but you don't seem to do nudes.

I do believe you might be able to hobby model, but any photographer that has any sort of status, is not going to be calling you.

tough love is better then false hope..

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Nov 06 12 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

S W I N S K E Y wrote:
while you are an attractive young woman, you are not model material.

tongue You know there's several different kind of models, while I'm not a fan of a 'particular' market, there are many models that fill that niche quite nicely.

S W I N S K E Y wrote:
I don't believe for one minute that you are making a living off modeling, perhaps if you were nude art model, but you don't seem to do nudes.

I do believe you might be able to hobby model, but any photographer that has any sort of status, is not going to be calling you.

tough love is better then false hope..

Course one need only make 60% of their livable income from a particular source to report it as professional/business to the IRS. But course some people are pretty broad on what tasks they consider 'modeling'.

Nov 06 12 07:26 am Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Blue Ash Film Group wrote:

I have a feeling this is not a real profile that started this thread, but at least it is entertaining on a day where everybody is being so serious out in the "real world".

I'm certain she is real.

She is making mistakes.  She'll learn and, as usual with most "new models", will probably decide in the next few months that its not worth it and she will move on to other endeavors.

Nov 06 12 07:27 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Everyone is being fairly nice but truthful, you are not model material period.  Far beyond physical requirments, that you don't meet, your inability to hear feedback is clearly a problem.

Best of luck to you...

Nov 06 12 07:42 am Link

Photographer

nolngeractive

Reno, Nevada, US

Blue Ash Film Group wrote:

i would agree ... that the op is an actual model is pretty outlandish  ... even on mm

Nov 06 12 07:43 am Link

Model

Jane Smithly

Crowley, Texas, US

I truly admire your confidence however it may be a little unrealistic. Keep being positive and you never know what may happen, just make sure to keep your expectations in check.

Nov 06 12 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

How is that not arguing?  lol

The problem with your theory here is that you are anonymous as well. 
More so than anyone else in here.  Everyone else has history on here.  You don't.

Nov 06 12 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:

I'm certain she is real.

She is making mistakes.  She'll learn and, as usual with most "new models", will probably decide in the next few months that its not worth it and she will move on to other endeavors.

Little bit of a hijack here.  I, too, think she's real.  The argumentative pattern and holding on to dreams in preference to looking objectively at her own and and the modeling world's realities (whether pro or hobbyist) is indicative of the many "self-improvement" mills and "model managers" out there who insist that by hard work, persistence and determination, anyone, no matter what their lack of qualifications, can change the way the world works. That plus, of course, handing them sizable chunks of the "model's" hard earned cash.

It's sad, really, really sad.

What makes it more sad is the fact that a disproportionate number of young women of color get caught up by these pariahs, a fact borne out by reading the profiles of many of the newbies.  The argument is that "There's nothing wrong with your stats, it's just that they're all racists."  The fact is that there is racism in the world of modeling, just as there is in the world at large, and the pariahs use that fact to sucker in gullible young women.  But you can't beat racism by denying reality, and you can't change reality by not recognizing it.

Another fact is that almost no one "makes it" in this industry  There are quite a number of women of color making amazingly good incomes.  But there are precious few, white or non-white, making a living at all that don't conform to the standards for their particular segments of the industry.  The most that the vast majority of us can attain is a reasonable measure of self-gratification, some friendships and some pleasant experiences to remember in our old age, and at the end of the day, that is no small accomplishment.  But the folks that fall for this siren's song are ultimately denied even this accomplishment and they never seem to know why.

And that's worse than sad.

All IMHO, as always

Nov 06 12 08:23 am Link

Model

TinRoses

Logansport, Indiana, US

So wait... wait wait wait... I give you sound advice, you use your rather maudlin and borish wit to call me fat in a round about manner? VERY GOOD! YOU FIGURED IT OUT! I'M FAT! And unlike you, with the dropped lip and dead stare (hey now! Zombie modeling is a niche, right?! Google that.), I actually book shootings in catalogs! And no they're not fetish catalogs either. Cut yourself a massive slice of humble pie and take advice. That's modeling 101. Don't like the advice? Lump it and try your hand as an outstanding vocalist! Or a writer! Or a life coach! Or whatever your other "talents" are.

I went off what I saw in your port. You're not a size 4. If you are? I'm a 5'11" Victoria's Secret model getting ready to be gifted that $2  million diamond bra for my excellent service! Point? If you don't like what other models and photographers are telling you, but it's the same message over and over and over again, you may not be the one in the right. EVEN IF YOU HAVE ALL THE CONFIDENCE IN THE UNIVERSE!

And as for Petite Plus Size... I Googled this for you;
http://www.plusmodelmag.com/general/plu … =220487347

Nov 06 12 08:29 am Link

Model

TinRoses

Logansport, Indiana, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:

Little bit of a hijack here.  I, too, think she's real.  The argumentative pattern and holding on to dreams in preference to looking objectively at her own and and the modeling world's realities (whether pro or hobbyist) is indicative of the many "self-improvement" mills and "model managers" out there who insist that by hard work, persistence and determination, anyone, no matter what their lack of qualifications, can change the way the world works. That plus, of course, handing them sizable chunks of the "model's" hard earned cash.

It's sad, really, really sad.

What makes it more sad is the fact that a disproportionate number of young women of color get caught up by these pariahs, a fact borne out by reading the profiles of many of the newbies.  The argument is that "There's nothing wrong with your stats, it's just that they're all racists."  The fact is that there is racism in the world of modeling, just as there is in the world at large, and the pariahs use that fact to sucker in gullible young women.  But you can't beat racism by denying reality, and you can't change reality by not recognizing it.

Another fact is that almost no one "makes it" in this industry  There are quite a number of women of color making amazingly good incomes.  But there are precious few, white or non-white, making a living at all that don't conform to the standards for their particular segments of the industry.  The most that the vast majority of us can attain is a reasonable measure of self-gratification, some friendships and some pleasant experiences to remember in our old age, and at the end of the day, that is no small accomplishment.  But the folks that fall for this siren's song are ultimately denied even this accomplishment and they never seem to know why.

And that's worse than sad.

All IMHO, as always

In your honest opinion and undeniably true. Which is why the biggest advice I can give to ANY aspiring model is not to hand your hard earned money over to anyone other than good photographers and muas. Model "predators" are everywhere. Never quit that day job, either, and make sure you regard modeling as a serious hobby ie: don't drop out of school for it, don't abandon your career for it, don't murder your family over it etc etc.

Nov 06 12 08:33 am Link

Model

_ Robyn Elizabeth _

I think after TinRoses' post is a good place for me to join in here since you were really very rude in your reply to her.

So as another comparism, your stats are almost identical to mine, now either:

1: You have worked with really bad photographers who make you look much larger than you are.
2: Your pictures are out of date and you have lost a lot of weight
3: You are not a size 4-6

For either of the first two options you really need to get some better pictures but you will find it hard to get people to work with you with that attitude.  I would say, option 3 is the most likely.

Even at my size, US 4 and sometimes 6 depending on the clothing range, I am both a bit large and rather too short to be a fashion model (oh and also too old but that doesn't refer to you).

You have a pretty face but you have a terrible attitude.  Noone on this thread was trying to be mean but you have a very distorted view of reality.

Get the attitude in check and enjoy the modelling as a hobby.

Nov 06 12 08:42 am Link

Model

Jane Smithly

Crowley, Texas, US

_ Robyn Elizabeth _ wrote:
I think after TinRoses' post is a good place for me to join in here since you were really very rude in your reply to her.

So as another comparism, your stats are almost identical to mine, now either:

1: You have worked with really bad photographers who make you look much larger than you are.
2: Your pictures are out of date and you have lost a lot of weight
3: You are not a size 4-6

For either of the first two options you really need to get some better pictures but you will find it hard to get people to work with you with that attitude.  I would say, option 3 is the most likely.

Even at my size, US 4 and sometimes 6 depending on the clothing range, I am both a bit large and rather too short to be a fashion model (oh and also too old but that doesn't refer to you).

You have a pretty face but you have a terrible attitude.  Noone on this thread was trying to be mean but you have a very distorted view of reality.

Get the attitude in check and enjoy the modelling as a hobby.

+1(x10,000)

Nov 06 12 08:44 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Kimberley Elodie wrote:
When I go shopping at the mall, these are the sizes I come back with.

Ever heard of 'vanity sizing'? Not that it would apply to you, obviously hmm

Kimberley Elodie wrote:
In my photos I was a bit heavier but my measurements are accurate.

Then take down the photos that are no longer representative. You only need 4 images and they can all be snapshots or polaroids if necessary. eg.

https://images.fashionmodeldirectory.com/images/intopic_images/b84ebf4b4a5db5701c92db7e787da48d.jpg

Oh, and the "hip" measurement needs to be taken around the widest/largest part of your butt, not your hips.

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Nov 06 12 08:50 am Link

Model

Lily Darling

Lansing, Michigan, US

You got A LOT to learn darlin. First and foremost, that attitude had got to go. Hunny, no way your a size 4. As a short chunky model myself, it's best not to bite the hand that feeds. If you plan on getting good work, I would just shut up and take the info. These people know what they are talking about. They are very experienced. And you after all are asking for help. Your attitude will NOT win you any friends I promise you that. It's awesome about the whole "going after my dream" thing. But your pompous attitude when you have nothing to show for it will hold you back. I'm sorry darlin. No one wants to work with a bitch. I am a photographer as well and based just of your attitude, I would never work with you.

Nov 06 12 08:56 am Link

Model

_ Robyn Elizabeth _

Autumn Rose Brightly wrote:

+1(x10,000)

aww, I've never been times 10,000 before.  Thanks

Nov 06 12 09:04 am Link

Model

Tracii Taylor

Bordentown, New Jersey, US

"I am available to do glamour, lingerie, swimwear and designer fashion work in addition to life style, portrait, specialty/theme shoots, hair, make-up, jewelry, and commercial/magazine work".

I think you need to figure out what genres you fit into.  Fashion?  No.  Hair, make up (beauty), jewelry, commercial/magazine, highly unlikely.  Generally these genres require a tall model.  Swimwear as well & most of lingerie.  That leaves glamour, some lingerie, life style & portrait.  You didn't include art so I will.  For glamour & art you'll really need to be willing to shoot nudes. 

In any of these genres you need to figure out what you have that stands out from the rest in an aesthetically pleasing way. 

Do a search for photographers in your area, see who's work you like & hire some.  If they do TF, shoot them a message asking if they'd be willing to shoot TF with you. 

Good luck!

Nov 06 12 09:08 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Why can't people read the modeling 101 links they are given? There is no such thing as a petite plus size model.  Plus size is usually even taller the straight size.

It's nice to have dreams, but the rest of the world doesn't care.  In this industry they are looking to sell something, it's that simple.  The models, stylists, MUA, and photographes are a means to and end.

Nov 06 12 09:14 am Link

Model

ChristinaNAllen

Atlanta, Georgia, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
Why can't people read the modeling 101 links they are given? There is no such thing as a petite plus size model.  Plus size is usually even taller the straight size.

It's nice to have dreams, but the rest of the world doesn't care.  In this industry they are looking to sell something, it's that simple.  The models, stylists, MUA, and photographes are a means to and end.

+1

Nov 06 12 10:16 am Link

Model

Christopher Meadows

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Wow. This thread exploded lol. Ppl on this site are REALLY nice. I would love to see her responses from agencies and castings she's been to...I doubt they use the same delicate touch in their responses.

Nov 06 12 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

You started a critique thread with the exact words of "give me your brutal honest opinion".

My brutal honest opinion based on your supplied portfolio is the following:

You are short and fat. 
You have no concept of styling.
Your body appears mostly rigid or lazy in the vast majority of the images.
You have a nice complexion and beautiful skin.
Your eyes are dead, but I assume that's more due to the poor photography.

There is no way I'd be interested in working with you for anything that I do.

Now, please understand that these opinions are based solely on the images you have supplied here as a representation of what you are.  All the talking in the world won't affect my opinion of what my eyes see.

It's great to have drive and determination and dreams.  But if you are going to shoot down the opinions of those people who appear to be more successful than you, or argue their validity, then there's very little hope for you.

Very few people in this world went against every grain, through adversary and became successes.  Perhaps you'll be one of them.  Perhaps you'll change the last 50 years of modeling and prove everyone in the industry wrong.

Or maybe you'll concentrate on that teaching thing you've got going on.

Nov 06 12 10:24 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Nobody here can argue with the measurements you have provided.  However, as many have pointed out, it doesn't matter what your measurements are if your photos show you to be short, fat, and unskilled.

If you really have the measurements you say you do your photos don't show it.  How else are we supposed to critique your modeling?

As a photographer I have zero interest in working with you.  Partly because you don't seem to photograph well based on your portfolio but more so because your attitude is appalling.

When you request a critique, the proper response to those who have taken the time to respond is "Thank you" whether you agree with their views or not.

Nov 06 12 10:36 am Link

Model

Jane Smithly

Crowley, Texas, US

David Kirk wrote:
As a photographer I have zero interest in working with you.  Partly because you don't seem to photograph well based on your portfolio but more so because your attitude is appalling.

When you request a critique, the proper response to those who have taken the time to respond is "Thank you" whether you agree with their views or not.

+1, very well stated

Nov 06 12 10:40 am Link

Model

Tracii Taylor

Bordentown, New Jersey, US

I just measured.  My waist is 25 & my hips are 34.  Something's not right with one of our measurements.

Nov 06 12 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Tracii Taylor wrote:
I just measured.  My waist is 25 & my hips are 34.  Something's not right with one of our measurements.

If I took a tape and got two people to help me tug-of-war style, I bet I could make that tape return a 25 inch waist and 34 inch hips.  But that tape better be made out of carbon nanotubes or something.

My point is that some women just want to see the number they want to see and will pull that tape until they see it.

Nov 06 12 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Kimberley Elodie wrote:
Thank you for your pessimisticconstructive criticism, however I am going to have to politely disagree with you. You make me laugh.

Your comments give me a glimpse into who you are, and that knowledge alone strips you of any credibility. I am an individual, I don't let others decide my fate or how I view myself. What makes you think that I really care about your opinion on how "hard" I am trying on my profile?

Maybe you are an underachiever, but my dynamic personality always drives me to impress and go above and beyond with anything I do. That includes taking about my dazzling, dynamic, multifaceted personality.

This is a networking site buddy, get with the program. Don't come on internet message boards hiding behind your computer trying to bring down someone because you are too narrow minded.

Oh, my. And to think you came in here asking for brutally honest opinions. I was one of the gentler critics in the bunch.

Well, your dynamic personality *has* impressed. Likely not in the way you may have intended, but it's left an impression on the participants in this thread.

Keep up with the foolish profile packed with irrelevant handwaving. Keep up with the tragic portfolio (your ballerina shots remind me of a certain scene in Disney's Fantasia). And most definitely keep lashing out at people who give you feedback that falls short of unabashed adoration. Now THAT'S networking.

Nov 06 12 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

This is precisely why I can't leave these damn MM threads alone.

Nov 06 12 11:10 am Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

Oh my

Unfortunately, the world is not as small as you think, and this thread is doing you no favors.

I hope the MODs give you a mercy lock

Do you realize everything you put on the internet is here forever?

Nov 06 12 11:14 am Link