Forums > Photography Talk > Iphone and no lighting.

Model

Kayely Venson

Statesville, North Carolina, US

Is it okay to use your iphone at a photoshoot to take photos of models.

Is it okay if a photographer doesn't use lighting with the model?

Nov 14 12 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Jessica Bensen wrote:

without lighting there is only complete darkness.

or were you meaning artificial lighting?

Nov 14 12 10:24 am Link

Model

Kayely Venson

Is it okay for a photographer to use his/ her iphone instead of a camera in photoshoots?

Nov 14 12 10:28 am Link

Photographer

L2Photography net

University City, Missouri, US

Jessica Bensen wrote:
Is it okay for a photographer to use his/ her iphone instead of a camera in photoshoots?

If your saying a model meets a photographer and all they use is an I Phone. I would say no. I would wonder if the model looked a the photographers port before going to the shoot..
To me this says GWC
Yes to all the photographers I know you can take good photos with an I phone
L2

Nov 14 12 10:34 am Link

Model

V A L F

Máncora, Piura, Peru

Jessica Bensen wrote:

do you mean the entire photoshoot taken with his iPhone? or just taking one or two for his/her instagram account? i dont mind point and shoot cameras but an iPhone..

Nov 14 12 10:34 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

It could be quite good. It's probably not, though.

Nov 14 12 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Jessica Bensen wrote:

there are good people in the world and there are bad people in the world. what camera they use is irrelevant.

go with your gut.

for example, if Mario Testino wanted to photograph you with his iphone....i would go with my gut and say yes please thank you.

Nov 14 12 10:35 am Link

Photographer

ammdigital

Fort Jones, California, US

There are many great photos of people lit with only natural lighting (as I assume you mean when you say "no lighting" - so, yes, Perfectly ok.

As to shooting with a cell phone . . . It depends. If you were paid and the photographer has a concept in mind using a phone, sure, why not.  It is amazing how well some people shoot with minimal equipment (note: a good photographer does not always need great equipment to create an excelent shot).  However, if this was a TFP and this is just a GWC trying to get pics to impress his friends, producing nothing of quality, then yes, I would agree with this being unaceptable.

Nov 14 12 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

hmmm....

Nov 14 12 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Marty McBride

Owensboro, Kentucky, US

It depends...I've posted on facebook, looking for models to do a cell phone shoot and no PS. The response was more than I ever imagined, and the model I chose for the free shoot was delighted with the results and the challenge!

Nov 14 12 10:38 am Link

Model

V A L F

Máncora, Piura, Peru

Marty McBride wrote:
It depends...I've posted before on facebook, looking for models to do a cell phone shoot and no PS. The response was more than I ever imagined, and the model I chose for the free shoot was delighted with the results and the challenge!

i think overall depends on the photographers portfolio, i would let you shoot me with your iPhone too smile

Nov 14 12 10:41 am Link

Model

Kayely Venson

Okay, because I want to become a photographer, now and I was thinking about getting a camera and an Iphone, but I can't afford a lot like lights and stuff, but I was going to move towards getting a lot of stuff. In the future I'll need to ask what kinds of equipment good photographers have, but for now I'm starting out small.

Nov 14 12 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Marty McBride

Owensboro, Kentucky, US

Val Figallo wrote:

i think overall depends on the photographers portfolio, i would let you shoot me with your iPhone too smile

Thanks...I'd love to! smile

Nov 14 12 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Dark Shadows

Miami, Florida, US

Jessica Bensen wrote:

Yes, it's ok. I shoot with my phone in photoshoots all the time. I've never had a model or actress complain.

Nov 14 12 10:46 am Link

Photographer

L2Photography net

Jessica Bensen wrote:
Okay, because I want to become a photographer, now and I was thinking about getting a camera and an Iphone, but I can't afford a lot like lights and stuff, but I was going to move towards getting a lot of stuff. In the future I'll need to ask what kinds of equipment good photographers have, but for now I'm starting out small.

Start out small get a camera that you can change the iris and shutter.
L2

Nov 14 12 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Kaouthia

Wishaw, Scotland, United Kingdom

Val Figallo wrote:
i dont mind point and shoot cameras but an iPhone..

I've found the iPhone 4s to actually be better than most point & shoots once you get a decent app like Camera+, ProCamera or 645 Pro.  It's the only camera I take with me when I go location scouting 90% of the time.

I used to use it for behind the scenes stuff for Instagram while on shoots, but since I got the iPad, I just shoot 'em with my DSLR as it's already in my hand, then use the camera connection kit later to get 'em on the iPad and upload to Instagram or Facebook or whatever.

L2Photography net wrote:
To me this says GWC

To folks who only shoot large format, anybody with a DSLR could say GWC to them.  It's all relative.

But, OP, I'd say it depends who's photographing you.  Some photographers can produce absolutely amazing work no matter what they use to create the images.  And they can do it with both flash or available light.

Can the majority of "photographers" do it?  Shit no.  Can some get away with just using the iPhone and still get damn good shots?  Sure.

Nov 14 12 10:49 am Link

Model

Kayely Venson

I was thinking about getting one of these as a starter.

COBRA DIGITAL - DCAV527 - COBRA DIGITAL DCAV527 12.0 MEGAPIXEL DCAV527 DIAMOND DIGITAL CAMERA

Nov 14 12 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Jessica Bensen wrote:

Sure, it's OK but why would he/she want to?

Nov 14 12 10:50 am Link

Model

Kayely Venson

and I was thinking about this.

http://www.tmart.com/7-2Point-Touch-Scr … 66755.html

I'm indecisive on which camera to get first.

Nov 14 12 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Kaouthia

If you just wanna get snapshots and don't care if they actually turn out to be half decent photographs, then go ahead and get that, but if you want to learn photography, I'd go buy a used DSLR and cheap lens.  You can pick up a Nikon D100 or Canon Rebel (300D) and a 50mm f/1.8 lens for less than $200.

Those'll teach you all you need to learn about exposure (ISO, aperture & shutter speed relationship).

From there, as you get better, you can look into cameras that offer you specific features you need to help you improve your particular shooting methods, styles and subjects.

If you decide it's not for you, you can just turn around and sell it and probably get what you paid for it.

Nov 14 12 10:52 am Link

Model

Kayely Venson

Kaouthia wrote:
If you just wanna get snapshots and don't care if they actually turn out to be half decent photographs, then go ahead and get that, but if you want to learn photography, I'd go buy a used DSLR and cheap lens.  You can pick up a Nikon D100 or Canon Rebel (300D) and a 50mm f/1.8 lens for less than $200.

Those'll teach you all you need to learn about exposure (ISO, aperture & shutter speed relationship).

From there, as you get better, you can look into cameras that offer you specific features you need to help you improve your particular shooting methods, styles and subjects.

If you decide it's not for you, you can just turn around and sell it and probably get what you paid for it.

Jess- Yea, I care, I care alot about the quality of a photo. I just don't have all of this money to go out and buy a 200 dollar camera and an item of some other equipment

Nov 14 12 10:54 am Link

Photographer

L2Photography net

Jessica Bensen wrote:

Jess- Yea, I care, I care alot about the quality of a photo. I just don't have all of this money to go out and buy a 200 dollar camera and an item of some other equipment

So go take photos with your phone.

Nov 14 12 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Kaouthia

Jessica Bensen wrote:

Do you have the money to waste on a little point and shoot that probably won't teach you a thing? smile

$200 for a DSLR and a lens is absolutely nothing.  There's point & shoots out there now that cost 2-3 times that.

Spending $50-100 on a little point and shoot or knock-off Chinese tablet is just going to be $50-100 wasted that you could've put towards something better if you'd held out and saved up a bit more.

But, it's your money.  Sounds like you've already made up your mind. smile

Nov 14 12 10:58 am Link

Model

Kayely Venson

Nov 14 12 11:03 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Jessica Bensen wrote:
In the future I'll need to ask what kinds of equipment good photographers have, but for now I'm starting out small.

At least one working eye, a semi-functional brain and any device that records images. There is no equipment that equates to a "good photographer."

However, to save yourself any issues of perception, I would recommend informing potential models that you'll be using an iPhone. Right or wrong, if a model arrives to find the only equipment the photographer has for taking photos is an iPhone, many will feel like they're not being taken seriously and that they were bamboozled into a shoot by an amateur.

Unless, of course, you inform them that that IS the concept. Then it's art.

Nov 14 12 11:10 am Link

Photographer

eos3_300

Brooklyn, New York, US

Jessica Bensen wrote:

But you had money for Iphone
And the $50+ a month to keep it running
Probably Ipods, Ipads and other I-stuff
Call me skeptical about your dedication

Nov 14 12 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Los Angeles, California, US

Jessica Bensen wrote:

I shot this duly marked 18+ photo with my iPhone and natural light.

It's not for everyone though…

Nov 14 12 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Brian Scanlon

Encino, California, US

Technically:
They are better than most digital cameras from as little as five years ago.  They are limiting as you don't have all of the control you might have with dedicated cameras, particularly dslrs, but I seen wonderful shots that came out of iPhones.

Politically:
You'll loose the respect of 99% of models and be labeled a GWC immediately.  The other 1% won't have much respect for you either.  If you already have a name you could probably get way with it.

Nov 14 12 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Dark Shadows

Miami, Florida, US

Jessica Bensen wrote:
I found this

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/ … CGYQ8gIwAA

and

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/ … NoBEPMCMAM

Are these okay?

Get a D70, D70s or D50 instead of the D100, IMO. The original Rebel was OK, but I remember a lot of controversy over features that were intentionally 'locked down' via software to prevent it from eating into the sales of it's bigger brother (the 10D).

I'd prefer a D70s out of those choices.

Nov 14 12 11:21 am Link

Model

Kayely Venson

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

At least one working eye, a semi-functional brain and any device that records images. There is no equipment that equates to a "good photographer."

However, to save yourself any issues of perception, I would recommend informing potential models that you'll be using an iPhone. Right or wrong, if a model arrives to find the only equipment the photographer has for taking photos is an iPhone, many will feel like they're not being taken seriously and that they were bamboozled into a shoot by an amateur.

Unless, of course, you inform them that that IS the concept. Then it's art.

Jess- Okay, thank you for your input. It wont be for too long if I use the android iphone. Plus, I have some other ideas in mind of the models. So, they wont be too disappointed. Like, I said it's just for a little bit, until I can afford better stuff.

Nov 14 12 11:23 am Link

Model

Kayely Venson

eos3_300 wrote:

I have absolutely no money, right now, I only work a part time job and plan on saving. Does that solve this?

Nov 14 12 11:25 am Link

Model

Kayely Venson

Dark Shadows wrote:

Get a D70, D70s or D50 instead of the D100, IMO. The original Rebel was OK, but I remember a lot of controversy over features that were intentionally 'locked down' via software to prevent it from eating into the sales of it's bigger brother (the 10D).

Jess- Okay, I will looking into that.

Nov 14 12 11:26 am Link

Photographer

eos3_300

Brooklyn, New York, US

Kincaid Blackwood wrote:

Difference is you have paid your dues

Nov 14 12 11:28 am Link

Model

Kayely Venson

eos3_300 wrote:

And I don't have Ipods, Ipads and other stuff. TRY AGAIN!

Nov 14 12 11:28 am Link

Model

Kayely Venson

eos3_300 wrote:

Difference is you have paid your dues

Difference is nothing, because you assume shit, STFU.

Nov 14 12 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Jessica Bensen wrote:

You do need a memory card.  What other equipment?

Here are some links to get you started:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 … _Body.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 … amera.html

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20528891.html

http://www.adorama.com/NK5018AFDR.html

Nov 14 12 11:36 am Link

Model

Kayely Venson

Mark Salo wrote:

You do need a memory card.  What other equipment?

Here are some links to get you started:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 … _Body.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 … amera.html

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20528891.html

Thank You, so much for finding this stuff for me. I'm checking out your link, right now. The Used Nixon D70 is at a great price. I just need to save, save, save. lol
http://www.adorama.com/NK5018AFDR.html

Nov 14 12 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Jessica Bensen wrote:
I found this

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/ … CGYQ8gIwAA

and

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/ … NoBEPMCMAM

Are these okay?

These are not offering cameras for sale.  Note that zoom lenses are more expensive than the recommended 50mm.

Nov 14 12 11:40 am Link

Model

Kayely Venson

Mark Salo wrote:

These are not offering cameras for sale.  Note that zoom lenses are more expensive than the recommended 50mm.

See, that's where I am lost. I'm trying! lol

Nov 14 12 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Dark Shadows wrote:

Note that the D50 will not autofocus with the less expensive 50mm f/1.8 D lens.

Nov 14 12 11:41 am Link