This thread was locked on 2012-11-25 16:54:30
Forums > General Industry > Why is it that people only want 5'7 +???

Model

Aby Sloan

London, England, United Kingdom

WHY?

Nov 22 12 06:22 am Link

Photographer

ME_

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Aby Sloan wrote:
I always hear your too short...ect... BUT trust me that won't stop me and one day will prove these people wrong!!!

You're about the billionth short girl over the past many decades to say this.

Nov 22 12 06:25 am Link

Photographer

Le_Demimonde

Boston, Massachusetts, US

One Word: Drape

Nov 22 12 06:30 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Aby Sloan wrote:
I just don't get it...

The society give the wrong image of what a woman should be and this affect the youngest ones... Fashion is not only about being skinny and very tall!!!

I don't even know where to begin... again...

You know, Aby, I have some articles on my MM profile, I've written a few years ago...

But..., let's do this shortcut thing:  http://www.newmodels.com and check for height requirements as an industry standard and why.
http://www.newmodels.com/height.html

Hope you'll not be discouraged... I have also written something about "Modeling Success: Research" link is on my profile...

All the best and good luck with proving a billions Dollars industry wrong.  wink

Nov 22 12 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Sean

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Personally, I don't give a fuck about height. I shoot for fun. If you're beautiful, that's all I care about. That's why my tripod adjusts in height....

Nov 22 12 06:32 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Sean Alexandre wrote:
Personally, I don't give a fuck about height. I shoot for fun. If you're beautiful, that's all I care about. That's why my tripod adjusts in height....

... and people like you is where her "market" is and there is nothing wrong with it.

Nov 22 12 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Le_Demimonde

Sean Alexandre wrote:

All of which is fine until you note that the OP mentioned the word "fashion" in her post.

Nov 22 12 06:33 am Link

Model

Aby Sloan

Nov 22 12 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Uh.... make that 5'9+=   (at size 0/2)

for me anyway, as my main gig is editorial fashion

This is not my idea by the way

http://www.newmodels.com/height.html

but when I am shooting personal projects including fine art nudes, alt and glam,  I am all about proportion

I still like sizes 0-4 for this however

edited to add - I'd shoot with you in a heartbeat for glam and beauty work

Model

angel emily

Aby Sloan wrote:
The society give the wrong image of what a woman should be

Wow.  sad

As a girl who is 5'7", this is very offensive.

I'm tired of always hearing from short curvy girls that "tall and thin" isn't pretty.  (Or worse, it's "wrong").

Fashion is an industry that (currently) FAVORS this look.  It is an industry you won't change by yourself, but collectively "society" MAY change over time -- maybe.   There are good reasons why height standards exist in the industry, and you should do more research on this BUSINESS before coming in here on your soapbox telling everyone what's "wrong".

(For your information, too -- 5'7" is short.  Fashion starts around 5'9" and prefers 5'10"+.)

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

ME_ wrote:

You're about the billionth short girl over the past many decades to say this.

So is that your contribution to her concerns or do you not have an answer?

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Aby Sloan wrote:
I just don't get it...

If you walk in the street and look around the average heigh is about 5'4 for a woman... so yes a tall, skinny, long girl is pretty but that doesn't mean a shorter girl doesn't have potential, isn't good enough and or not beautiful...

The society give the wrong image of what a woman should be and this affect the youngest ones... Fashion is not only about being skinny and very tall!!!

I think modelling shouldn't have so many restrictions... I do understand there is a standard in a way but just don't fully understand it all as well...

I always hear your too short...ect... BUT trust me that won't stop me and one day will prove these people wrong!!!

One of my very favorite models is 4'11".  She is wonderful, but she doesn't think she's a fashion model.

Nov 22 12 06:38 am Link

Photographer

ME_

Atlanta, Georgia, US

GCobb Photography wrote:

So is that your contribution to her concerns or do you not have an answer?

Yes, that is my contribution. Is yours to not say anything at all but only to inquire about other peoples' posts?

Model

Aby Sloan

Emily, I am not attacking nobody... I am just saying my concern and think that sometimes doors should be open wider... sorry if I offended you, wasn't my intention at all xx

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Most of the clothes that is made for fashion shoots is of a standard size. models outside of the norm become special cases that need more time to find and prepare for if at all they exist.

It is a question of being a model for the industry fashion standard.

Nothing against trying, and you will find a place, but it is limited>

Nov 22 12 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Aby Sloan wrote:
Not trying to prove anyone wrong... Just saying it isn't fair on shorter girls like me to hear people putting you down... What I mean by saying I will prove them wrong is that I also can do it and DID it even I am not tall... Not trying to be the next Dean Johnson at all!

I am not only talking for me here as I have accomplished quite well I think so far but for other women in my case and god knows there is millions who think the same but are discourage by mean people!

Hopefully no one is "putting you down" for being shorter.  For thinking the world will change for you, perhaps.  I'm 6'6" and would love to play professional basketball.  Sadly, they don't want 55 year olds.  I'm going to change the world though!

Nov 22 12 06:41 am Link

Model

Aby Sloan

Udor, Thank you for your links smile

Nov 22 12 06:42 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Art of the nude wrote:
I'm 6'6" and would love to play professional basketball.  Sadly, the don't want 55 year olds.  I'm going to change the world though!

They don't take 55 years old titans??? yikes

That's geriatricism!!! sad

Nov 22 12 06:46 am Link

Photographer

In Balance Photography

Aby Sloan wrote:
I just don't get it...

If you walk in the street and look around the average heigh is about 5'4 for a woman... so yes a tall, skinny, long girl is pretty but that doesn't mean a shorter girl doesn't have potential, isn't good enough and or not beautiful...

I think modelling shouldn't have so many restrictions... I do understand there is a standard in a way but just don't fully understand it all as well...

Are you saying that the standard for a model should reflect the actual population?

Nov 22 12 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Eridu

I have no background in engineering or astronomy but, I want to plan the frst manned mision to Mars. I feel as if the opportunities for those who have been sci-fi enthisiasts their entire lives should include the chance of planning such missions.

WTF?

Nov 22 12 06:52 am Link

Model

angel emily

Aby Sloan wrote:
The society give the wrong image of what a woman should be

Aby Sloan wrote:
Emily, I am not attacking nobody... I am just saying my concern and think that sometimes doors should be open wider... sorry if I offended you, wasn't my intention at all xx

If you've ever watched a fashion show, the clothing is generally anything but "average".  The models who wear them are not "average", either.  Designers make sample sizes in size 0-2.  A girl who is 5'4" might wear a size 0-2, but the item will be seen better on a frame that is 5'10" than 5'4" when it's being shown.  If you don't believe me, ask any professional designer.  (Hint: Fashion isn't about models, it's about designers!)

So instead of "wrong", I think you mean "extraordinary".

It's not that the world of modeling is closed to you - but for fashion it pretty much is.

Does it make sense?

Photographer

Slotbox Photography

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Real fashion is not democratic and I'm happy with that.

Model

Chloe Burton

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

I often get the same thing. Im only 5ft3, but often people totally disregard me because of my height sad But, you just have to work with people who want to shoot you for your personality and looks, not height.
I even managed to do a catwalk- was amazing!!!!

Photographer

Art of the nude

Art of the nude wrote:
I'm 6'6" and would love to play professional basketball.  Sadly, they don't want 55 year olds.  I'm going to change the world though!

udor wrote:
They don't take 55 years old titans??? yikes

That's geriatricism!!! sad

Maturophobia.  tongue

Photographer

Art of the nude

Chloe Burton wrote:
I often get the same thing. Im only 5ft3, but often people totally disregard me because of my height sad But, you just have to work with people who want to shoot you for your personality and looks, not height.

With the right look, it's not hard to get shoots at MUCH shorter than 5'9".  Just not mainstream fashion, and typically, not with mainstream fashion photographers.

If you're short, and awesome, things like this can happen.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110703/12/4e10c9114f41c_m.jpg

Nov 22 12 06:54 am Link

Photographer

Eridu

Art of the nude wrote:

With the right look, it's not hard to get shoots at MUCH shorter than 5'9".  Just not mainstream fashion, and typically, not with mainstream fashion photographers.

This

Nov 22 12 06:56 am Link

Model

Kaley King

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

Aby Sloan wrote:
I just don't get it...

Fashion models are not meant to be the standard of beauty in America...as a matter of fact some fashion designers prefer the skinny girls because their thinner frame doesn't take attention from their clothes.

Designers like tall women, because their fame shows off the lines of the clothing much better.  Remember that things like Victoria Secret models...are not high fashion models (although they hold the same standards). 

Glamour modeling is more of what...is sexy...this is about the looks of the model, and nothing else (for the most part).  Women in this genre vary in height, and tend to be a bit more curvy.

Nov 22 12 06:56 am Link

Model

Aby Sloan

Chloe Burton wrote:

Yes I did manage to catwalk as well for London Fashion Week... pretty Epic I would say and I am only 5'4!

As for Emily I understand what you mean and again sorry if you I offended you hmm

Nov 22 12 06:57 am Link

Model

Kaley King

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

Art of the nude wrote:

If you're short, and awesome, things like this can happen.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110703/12/4e10c9114f41c_m.jpg

I'll plus 1 this...a lot of designers in the larger cities by me use girls that are 5'5...5'6...not everyone can afford a 5'10 Ford llama.

Nov 22 12 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Alison

Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom

Aby Sloan wrote:
...Fashion is not only about being skinny and very tall!!!...

Fashion is about selling. Maybe selling aspirations and dreams. Maybe selling clothes.

If photos of shorties sold expensive clothes,
the fashion mags would be full of pictures of shorties wearing clothes.

Blame all the "normal shaped women" who buy the clothes.

Nov 22 12 06:58 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

model emily  wrote:
(Hint: Fashion isn't about models, it's about designers!)

Often overlooked or not taught by Barbizon! smile

Nov 22 12 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Eric Jackson

Dayton, Ohio, US

Aby Sloan wrote:
Not trying to prove anyone wrong... Just saying it isn't fair on shorter girls like me to hear people putting you down... What I mean by saying I will prove them wrong is that I also can do it and DID it even I am not tall... Not trying to be the next Dean Johnson at all!

I am not only talking for me here as I have accomplished quite well I think so far but for other women in my case and god knows there is millions who think the same but are discourage by mean people!

Surfice it to say....The industry in loaded with mean people.

Nov 22 12 07:03 am Link

Model

angel emily

Chloe Burton wrote:
I often get the same thing. Im only 5ft3, but often people totally disregard me because of my height sad But, you just have to work with people who want to shoot you for your personality and looks, not height.  I even managed to do a catwalk- was amazing!!!!

When people think 'model', they typically think "tall and thin" (unless you're talking to someone from MM or an artist who understands 'models' to not just mean 'fashion models').   This is probably a large reason why people "disregard" you.

At 5'7", I've had the same response from industry professionals.   You don't whine about it; you understand the prevalent mainstream industry and find areas where you can work.

OP and others -- I suggest you go see a legitimate fashion agency - if you think we're being mean.  I did it just for kicks once.  The woman from the agency turned her nose up at me and didn't even bother to see my photos; a totally humbling experience.

Nov 22 12 07:05 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Aby Sloan wrote:
Yes I did manage to catwalk as well for London Fashion Week... pretty Epic I would say and I am only 5'4!

I am guessing that unless you are actually a well known actress, singer or other kind of celebrity... that the show at London FW was for a smaller designer label, and probably not at the major venue, but some other location during FW... right?

Nov 22 12 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Sean

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Le_Demimonde wrote:

All of which is fine until you note that the OP mentioned the word "fashion" in her post.

I saw that and I still don't give a fuck about height. If a model wants to shoot fashion and I like her look, why not? I guess you'd follow certain rules if you're doing commercial work, but since I'm not looking to make any money off of this, it doesn't matter to me.

Nov 22 12 07:09 am Link

Model

angel emily

Sean Alexandre wrote:

I saw that and I still don't give a fuck about height. If a model wants to shoot fashion and I like her look, why not? I guess you'd follow certain rules if you're doing commercial work, but since I'm not looking to make any money off of this, it doesn't matter to me.

Oh, I'm sorry - I thought we were talking about the fashion industry here, not hobbying.

In that case, do what you will.

Nov 22 12 07:11 am Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Aby Sloan wrote:

Having specific standards (such as 5.9 ) doesn't make the industry mean, and those who are telling you that you are too short for high end fashion gigs aren't necessarily putting you down, they are just stating the facts. Fashion work is very specific and competitive, and the whole point of fashion models is that they are NOT your average girl, they stand out which helps make the clothes stand out.

Most fashion models aren't necessarily best suited for glamour work, so they don't do glamour work. Every genre of modeling requires a specific look, if you meet the requirements you have a chance, if you don't too bad. It's pretty simple.

Nov 22 12 07:16 am Link

Model

Aby Sloan

udor wrote:

I am guessing that unless you are actually a well known actress, singer or other kind of celebrity... that the show at London FW was for a smaller designer label, and probably not at the major venue, but some other location during FW... right?

Well obviously it wasn't Dior or Chanel or whichever big name you can think but I am still proud I was part of it and that they choose me... I was the shortest one as you can think but they didn't make me feel like it and called me again after for more projects! Anyway I am proud of it smile

Nov 22 12 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Slotbox Photography

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Slotbox Photography wrote:
Real fashion is not democratic and I'm happy with that.

+1

Nov 22 12 07:18 am Link

Model

Aby Sloan

I guess I formulated myself in the wrong way and I should have just wrote "why" that's it!

Sorry if I offended some of you and you didn't understand my point! Wasn't my intention...

Nov 22 12 07:20 am Link