Forums > Photography Talk > Wireless Speedlight

Photographer

Ali Choudhry Photo

Posts: 176

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

So... here's a noob question that for the life of me I can't figure out.

I'm using a Canon 60D and trying to get it to wireless-ly fire off a 430 ex ii. I can manage to do this using the 430 as a slave to the camera's built in flash... but what I want is to fire the 430 without the camera's flash going off. I've tried cover the camera flash and this doesn't really seem to work (I'm getting more light than I want).

Is what I'm trying to do possible or will I need to get some extra controller or something to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 02 12 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Posts: 6987

Eugene, Oregon, US

the flash is needed to signal the sensor in the off camera flash.

there are radio triggers that will do the same thing.

Pocket Wizards have one series that maintains automatic control.

Dec 02 12 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Leon Bailey

Posts: 523

Orlando, Florida, US

Yeah, you are going to need triggers. I am actually hunting for some myself.

Dec 02 12 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Ali Choudhry Photo

Posts: 176

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

That's what I figured.

Any suggestions?

Dec 02 12 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

1KWS

Posts: 20

Carterville, Illinois, US

I am a fan of the Yongnuo RF-603 wireless triggers.  The best part is that they are only like $32 for a set on amazon. I haven't had any problems with them setting off the flashes. I have about 8 total.  They don't sent ttl info but I only use my flashes in manual mode anyway.

Dec 02 12 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Posts: 7829

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ali Choudhry Photo wrote:
snip - I can manage to do this using the 430 as a slave to the camera's built in flash... but what I want is to fire the 430 without the camera's flash going off. I've tried cover the camera flash and this doesn't really seem to work (I'm getting more light than I want) -snip

I don't know about the Canon, but on my Nikon I have had to use the built in flash before to fire strobes (forgot the triggers). I went into my custom settings menu and set the built in flash to 1/128 output power, not enough to make much difference in the shots, but enough to kick off the optical trigger on the strobes.

Dec 02 12 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

2020 Photography

Posts: 440

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Ali Choudhry Photo wrote:
That's what I figured.

Any suggestions?

Try the Yongnou triggers that are sold on EBay.  I have a set of their wireless triggers that I use to fire my monolight studio flashes and they work fine.  I have never had a failure.

I do not presently use camera flashes to light my photographic projects but I am slowly moving towards them.  The new flashes have ample power and a lot to offer.  If you are curious also look at the Yongnou on camera flashes, also on EBay.

Dec 02 12 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Harrington Photo

Posts: 388

Riverside, California, US

You may want to try a piece of c-41 film negative (no image) that has been processed, over the camera's built in flash. I remember some years ago this will fire the slave but not affect the main image. It may work here if Canon flashes are fired by light. I use Nikon so not familiar with canon

Dec 02 12 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Posts: 10553

Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Mark Harrington Photo wrote:
You may want to try a piece of c-41 film negative (no image) that has been processed, over the camera's built in flash. I remember some years ago this will fire the slave but not affect the main image. It may work here if Canon flashes are fired by light. I use Nikon so not familiar with canon

actually its the exact opposite.  you use exposed film to prevent the popup from triggering stuff.

Dec 02 12 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Kaouthia

Posts: 3152

Lancaster, England, United Kingdom

1KWS wrote:
I am a fan of the Yongnuo RF-603 wireless triggers.

^^ What he said, or RF-602 if you're in need of a PC sync input socket.

Dec 02 12 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Ezhini

Posts: 1601

Wichita, Kansas, US

Ali,

If I understand you correctly, you want to know how to set the built-in flash to fire an off-camera speedlight, without itself firing any flash of light. If this the case:

I dont use Canon. I know how to do it with a Nikon. So, I took help from my friend Google.

Read page-5 in this manual.Toward the bottom of the page is what you are looking for Trigger off-Camera Speedlites only.  This is the setting you want your built-in flash to be at!

Have fun.

Dec 02 12 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

photo212grapher

Posts: 1550

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Ali Choudhry Photo wrote:
So... here's a noob question that for the life of me I can't figure out.

I'm using a Canon 60D and trying to get it to wireless-ly fire off a 430 ex ii. I can manage to do this using the 430 as a slave to the camera's built in flash... but what I want is to fire the 430 without the camera's flash going off. I've tried cover the camera flash and this doesn't really seem to work (I'm getting more light than I want).

Is what I'm trying to do possible or will I need to get some extra controller or something to do this?

Thanks in advance!

watch this video. some tongue in cheek DIY items, but he describes what you are trying to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GesYNhPCvoM
The point being, use what you know to get the job done

Dec 02 12 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Posts: 3513

Sacramento, California, US

It's possible. It's in the manual of course but it doesn't do a very good job of explaining it. You kinda have to figure it out for yourself:)

In the flash control menu, enable flash firing. Then go to the built in flash function settings. There you can set the "wireless function" for the built-in flash.

This...
http://myluckylife.com/temp/flash.jpg

is the setting that will fire only the external flash. The other settings in that menu are for firing the ext. and built-in together with different ratios and such.

The built-in flash does have to fire to control the external flashed but the pulses are so low power that they won't be seen except in certain situations such as if you're using a very high ISO or the subject(or something else in frame) is very close to the camera.

Dec 02 12 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Leon Bailey

Posts: 523

Orlando, Florida, US

I will be getting the Yongnuo RF-603. Thanks for the suggestion!

Dec 02 12 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

photoimager

Posts: 4906

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

UltimateAppeal wrote:
I don't know about the Canon, but on my Nikon I have had to use the built in flash before to fire strobes (forgot the triggers). I went into my custom settings menu and set the built in flash to 1/128 output power, not enough to make much difference in the shots, but enough to kick off the optical trigger on the strobes.

If you set the output to -- then all that the built-in flash does is send the control information, no need for a manual output setting. Remember that the 'other side' have only recently got into control using the built-in flash even though it has been available for many years with Nikon and Minolta ( yes, they started the infrared control of flash by the camera ) smile

Dec 03 12 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Posts: 7829

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

UltimateAppeal wrote:
I don't know about the Canon, but on my Nikon I have had to use the built in flash before to fire strobes (forgot the triggers). I went into my custom settings menu and set the built in flash to 1/128 output power, not enough to make much difference in the shots, but enough to kick off the optical trigger on the strobes.

photoimager wrote:
If you set the output to -- then all that the built-in flash does is send the control information, no need for a manual output setting. Remember that the 'other side' have only recently got into control using the built-in flash even though it has been available for many years with Nikon and Minolta ( yes, they started the infrared control of flash by the camera ) smile

The strobes I was triggering were monolights, not Nikon Speedlights.

Dec 03 12 05:18 am Link

Photographer

Troy Tribble

Posts: 252

Greenville, South Carolina, US

Ali Choudhry Photo wrote:
So... here's a noob question that for the life of me I can't figure out.

I'm using a Canon 60D and trying to get it to wireless-ly fire off a 430 ex ii. I can manage to do this using the 430 as a slave to the camera's built in flash... but what I want is to fire the 430 without the camera's flash going off. I've tried cover the camera flash and this doesn't really seem to work (I'm getting more light than I want).

Is what I'm trying to do possible or will I need to get some extra controller or something to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Just get the PocketWizard MiniTT1 and FlexTT5. It will make life alot easier with speed lights and your able to do HSS with them. smile

Dec 03 12 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

photoimager

Posts: 4906

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

UltimateAppeal wrote:
The strobes I was triggering were monolights, not Nikon Speedlights.

The OP was asking about camera maker's speedlight / hotshoe flash so it is sensible for them to look to see if they have the option to set the built-in flash to control signals only.

As far as I'm aware there is only one monobloc flash that also has a strobe function ( repeated flashing at a set frequency ) and that is the Hensel Speedmax. Some high end pack light units have a strobe mode but it is seldom used. Many speedlights / hotshoe flashes have a strobe mode but very few people actually use it.

Dec 04 12 01:19 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Posts: 4906

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

Troy Tribble wrote:
Just get the PocketWizard MiniTT1 and FlexTT5. It will make life alot easier with speed lights and your able to do HSS with them. smile

Throwing money at it is not a solution that is available for everyone. Even though I have. TT1, AC3 and 3 TT5 units there are still times when for speed and simplicity I will still use the infrared control system provided on my Nikons.

Also, theses days, there are a number of alternatives to the PW system that are also somewhat cheaper.

Dec 04 12 01:26 am Link