Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Windows 8 is really nice

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Just upgraded yesterday. Saw a 4 minute video to get the gist of what is different and away I go.

The main thing is that it is really faster then windows 7 and that is with the upgrade not a new install. As usual the complaining masses that just can't take change is the real culprit to the hate.

Dec 22 12 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Dan K Photography wrote:
Just upgraded yesterday. Saw a 4 minute video to get the gist of what is different and away I go.

The main thing is that it is really faster then windows 7 and that is with the upgrade not a new install. As usual the complaining masses that just can't take change is the real culprit to the hate.

The complaining masses are most of the tech sites and reviewers.  The overwhelming advice is to wait on 8.

Dec 22 12 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

Good Egg Productions wrote:
The complaining masses are most of the tech sites and reviewers.  The overwhelming advice is to wait on 8.

Yup that may be true but they all agree it is faster. The problems they have is with the metro interface which is really not a big deal.

Most of there complaints are really minor and will not be a problem for the vast majority of users.

oh noes there is no start button but if you go to where the start menu is you get a visual start button omg how devastating.

sorry that is just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Dec 22 12 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

Dan K Photography wrote:
Yup that may be true but they all agree it is faster. The problems they have is with the metro interface which is really not a big deal.

Most of there complaints are really minor and will not be a problem for the vast majority of users.

oh noes there is no start button but if you go to where the start menu is you get a visual start button omg how devastating.

sorry that is just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Also I just did a search on reviews and even though I thought that i would fine that most tech reviews were against the reality  is really quite mixed with some loving it and some hating it.

Dec 22 12 03:01 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My mom, who never owned a laptop in her life, bought herself one, and it came with Windows 8. Because apparently I'm the computer pro in the family according to her, she wanted me to explain it to her. Haha.

I've never used Windows 8. lol My current laptop uses Windows 7. I'm at the same level as her.

Dec 22 12 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Been using Windows since 2.1x

Beyond a doubt.....never get a new version of Windows until after the first major patch is made.

Dec 22 12 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Beautifully Soft Focus

Plano, Texas, US

Widows 8 screams smile I just played with it at Office Depot on a Acer touchscreen laptop with a i3 processor.  It made my top of the line Sony Vaio Centrino Quad-core with 6GB of RAM  seam like a piece of junk sad Don't hate my Vaio is a kickbutt system, but the Windows 8 touch interface is a game changer. I can't begin to tell you the difference it makes to lose the mouse.  I'll probably still need one for editing photos, but not much else. Up-grading laptop to a ultrabook touchscreen running ... you guessed it ... Windows 8 smile

BTW I do my own reviews ... I know how I am gonna use the system (real job IT Architect 20 yrs exp hardware and software mainframe to cell phone) wink

Be Easy,

Alvin

Dec 22 12 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

Small Fruit Pits wrote:

Been using Windows since 2.1x

Beyond a doubt.....never get a new version of Windows until after the first major patch is made.

That is probably good advice with any software but like I said what Good Egg wrote isn't true.

PC world 4 out of 5 stars   http://www.pcworld.com/article/2012830/ … eview.html

PC advisor 4.5 stars   http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/wind … -8-review/

techradar 4.5

Engadget 3.5

verge 8.8 out of 10

Maximumpc likes it.

I am actually surprised that in my quick search I couldn't find any major tech review sites dislike WIN 8.

Before I did the search I thought they all hated it to.

Dec 22 12 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Atelier57  wrote:
Widows 8 screams smile I just played with it at Office Depot on a Acer touchscreen laptop with a i3 processor.  It made my top of the line Sony Vaio Centrino Quad-core with 6GB of RAM  seam like a piece of junk sad Don't hate my Vaio is a kickbutt system, but the Windows 8 touch interface is a game changer. I can't begin to tell you the difference it makes to lose the mouse.  I'll probably still need one for editing photos, but not much else. Up-grading laptop to a ultrabook touchscreen running ... you guessed it ... Windows 8 smile

BTW I do my own reviews ... I know how I am gonna use the system (real job IT Architect 20 yrs exp hardware and software mainframe to cell phone) wink

Be Easy,

Alvin

Because I know that as a photographer and retoucher, I want a touch screen as my main display. 

A touch interface is a step forward for computer interface like 3D is a step forward for cinematic experience.  It's different, and it has its advantages, but not without its issues and problems.

Dec 22 12 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Dan K Photography wrote:
That is probably good advice with any software but like I said what Good Egg wrote isn't true.

PC world 4 out of 5 stars   http://www.pcworld.com/article/2012830/ … eview.html

techradar 4.5

Engadget 3.5

verge 8.8 out of 10

Maximumpc likes it.

I am actually surprised that in my quick search I couldn't find any major tech review sites dislike WIN 8.

The reviews I read said to wait.

But admittedly, I get a lot of my tech news from the Tom's Hardware portal.

C|net didn't like it.  Nor did Infoworld.

If it's working for you, and you like it, great!  Who cares what I like.  I learned a pretty awesome lesson from WinME and Vista.  I never installed Vista on my main computer after using it on a laptop it came on for a few weeks.  I went from XP to 7. 

I think I'll just wait a while for 8, if I decide to upgrade at all.  Win7 is doing everything I need it to do.

Dec 22 12 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Using it and loving it.  PC at work with no touch capacity.  Two pc's at home (one no touch, one with an Intuos 5).  Lenova Yoga notebook/tablet.  And a Nokia Lumia 920 phone.

I'm quite content.  Not pretending it's perfect.  Microsoft doesn't do perfect.  But it's everything Windows 7 was but faster and with more options, and while the "options" are very new and evolving... I really like where things are going.

Microsoft's marketing, on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired...

Dec 22 12 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Win7 64 bit is the dogs bollocks, absolutely rock solid, fast and reliable, everything that Vista never was ! so I've no plans on changing this anytime soon!

I have no idea why they even released Win8, just 3 years into a major upgrade (Win7) which in itself replaced that total abortion Vista!

Bear in mind that XP Pro is still being supported until at least 2014, so wtf?

Dec 22 12 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

London Fog wrote:
Win7 64 bit is the dogs bollocks, absolutely rock solid, fast and reliable, everything that Vista never was ! so I've no plans on changing this anytime soon!

I have no idea why they even released Win8, just 3 years into a major upgrade (Win7) which in itself replaced that total abortion Vista!

Bear in mind that XP Pro is still being supported until at least 2014, so wtf?

Tablets

Dec 22 12 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Win 3.0 - total shite
Win 3.11 - excellent

Win 3.51 - shite
Win NT4 - superb

Win 95 - shite
Win 98 SE - superb

Win ME - shite
Win 2000 - better than NT4

Win XP - The BEST ever OS to come from that company! This is the OS that really broke the mould in every way! Still rock solid some 12 years on!

Win Vista - Really broke the mould in every way too, in the worst ever possible way imaginable, total and utter fucked up crapola, arguably the worst ever OS ever conceived by mankind!

Win 7 - Fantastic, and fixed everything that it's shite predecessor failed at!

Win 8 - ?

Here endeth the MS history lesson, see a pattern?

Dec 22 12 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

London Fog wrote:
Win 3.0 - total shite
Win 3.11 - excellent

Win 3.51 - shite
Win NT4 - superb

Win 95 - shite
Win 98 SE - superb

Win ME - shite

Win XP - The BEST ever OS to come from that company! This is the OS that really broke the mould in every way! Still rock solid some 12 years on!

Win Vista - Really broke the mould in every way too, in the worst ever possible way imaginable, total and utter fucked up crapola, arguably the worst ever OS ever conceived by mankind!

Win 8 - ?

Vista after the service pack was perfectly fine. Win 8 is really good so far. Win 7 is better then xp.

Dec 22 12 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Dan K Photography wrote:
Vista after the service pack was perfectly fine. Win 8 is really good so far. Win 7 is better then xp.

I have been supporting MS products for 21 years, in that time I have never seen such a pile of crap as Vista, it was released as an unfinished product, it ended it's torture on the support community as an embarrassment for MS.

Roaming and local profile issues, totally useless memory mgmt, printer issues, print spool issues, remote desktop issues, software compatibility issues, hardware issues...the list is longer than reading the 'declaration of independence'

No, it was never 'perfectly fine' and will never be missed!

Dec 22 12 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

London Fog wrote:

I have been supporting MS products for 21 years, in that time I have never seen such a pile of crap as Vista, it was released as an unfinished product, it ended it's torture on the support community as an embarrassment for MS.

It was never 'perfectly fine'.

I have 2 vista machines and they are both perfectly fine. Personally I discount all computer information from people who dislike Vista so much. It useually means they are to easily influenced by the media.

Nothing wrong with Vista after the service patch. At this point it is very stable.

Dec 22 12 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I like it.

Dec 22 12 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Dan K Photography wrote:

I have 2 vista machines and they are both perfectly fine. Personally I discount all computer information from people who dislike Vista so much. It useually means they are to easily influenced by the media.

Nothing wrong with Vista after the service patch. At this point it is very stable.

Do you run them as standalone's , i.e off a network?

Dec 22 12 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

London Fog wrote:
Do you run them as standalone's , i.e off a network?

They are in a small network.

Now don't get me wrong when Vista came out it was terrible and it deserved the bad press it got. it just never got any new press by the time it was patched.

Dec 22 12 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Dan K Photography wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but my thoughts...

...  Some advanced tech people are fine with it.
...  It's really not all that radically different.
...  On general principle, ...
     ---  I tend to skip every other release -- I'm on 7 now; I'll consider 9,
     ---  I always wait until a few months after the release of the 1st service pack, &
     ---  I don't see much point until the tablet version support full MS Office.
...  I believe that many of the people who rag on Windows 8 have ulterior motives.

Dec 22 12 06:25 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dan K Photography wrote:

Tablets

My mom's laptop also has a touch screen.

Dec 22 12 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

I just put in my order based on the alleged improvement in efficiency.  However, neither my wife nor I care to learn a new interface.  Does someone here already have a link to an explanation of how to keep as much of the old look and feel as possible WITHOUT having to introduce any extra software?  Yes, I know I could Google it, but I hate to dig into the haystack looking for the needle, knowing that someone has probably already done it.

I guess this would also be a good time to make the jump to an SSD drive.  I figure Intel would be the "safe" brand to pick.

Dec 22 12 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

P I X I E wrote:

My mom's laptop also has a touch screen.

I want one of those laptops that turn into a tablet. I have no need for one but I still want.

Dec 23 12 05:23 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

I am a Mac user and I really hope that windows 8 is a terrific piece of software as each company will drive more for perfection.  Competitions good for the consumer and I am glad to hear that your experiences were good.  I have a sister who reported having all sorts of issues using windows 8 though and really doesn't like it as of a couple weeks ago.  Perhaps she is more familiar within now, IDK.  Regardless, I am rooting for windows 8 to wildly succeed so that Apple can't sit on it haunches.

Dec 23 12 05:32 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Dan K Photography wrote:

techradar 4.5

Engadget 3.5

verge 8.8 out of 10

Maximumpc likes it.

Try Business Insider.  Not sure what the reason is, but they seem to go out of their way to smear Microsoft any and every chance they get.

Dec 23 12 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

London Fog wrote:
Win 3.0 - total shite
Win 3.11 - excellent

Win 3.51 - shite
Win NT4 - superb

Win 95 - shite
Win 98 SE - superb

Win ME - shite

Win 8 - ?

You've been quoting this irrefutable bullshit in multiple threads.  The only pattern I see if that you like to spread FUD.

Dec 23 12 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

The reviews I read said to wait.

But admittedly, I get a lot of my tech news from the Tom's Hardware portal.

C|net didn't like it.  Nor did Infoworld.

If it's working for you, and you like it, great!  Who cares what I like.  I learned a pretty awesome lesson from WinME and Vista.  I never installed Vista on my main computer after using it on a laptop it came on for a few weeks.  I went from XP to 7. 

I think I'll just wait a while for 8, if I decide to upgrade at all.  Win7 is doing everything I need it to do.

Waiting isn't a bad idea.  You won't have to wait long.  MS is working towards a switch to yearly updates.  Not sure if this means patches with new features or roll out of new mini-upgrade versions like Apple does.

In any case Win 8 as it stands now is a grand experiment.  The idea of merging desktop and tablet OS had to happen, but there's definitely roucg edges being smoothed out and there is not yet a whole lot of content for the metro side of things (as it is brand new). 

In 2013 the blue project will be rolling out some form of major update that likely adds missing features and cleans up the rough edges... 

Also, right now most of the PC vendors have dropped the ball on releasing Win 8 compatible machines (ones really designed for the new system)...  Those will also be showing up next year.

Dec 23 12 06:06 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Dan K Photography wrote:

I have grown to like it. But I have the best of both worlds. My PC has drive trays so I have one with Win 7 64 bit and another with Windows 8 on it. But I've grown to love Win 8.....I love the fact you can get apps to do stuff on the desktop and live update like news and weather stuff, boring stuff that I love.

Dec 23 12 06:23 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Tog wrote:
You've been quoting this irrefutable bullshit in multiple threads.  The only pattern I see if that you like to spread FUD.

The above is based upon over 20 years of supporting Microsoft products in some of the most demanding financial and trading environments!

Care to share your actual professional working experiences?

And...FUD...? whatever the fuck that means?

Dec 23 12 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have Windows 8 running on a ancient IBM T60 with 2gb of RAM.   Runs like a clock and better then then W7 did on this ageing machine.   Those who want a more Windows XP or 7 look can go here:   http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/software-and- … -50009546/   I'm not qualified to say if its better or worse then previous Windows versions but I like it.   The free [review is still around.   Cheap laptops like the T60 and T61 are all over Ebay for around $100.00.   Try it out on a non production system.

My OS of choice is Linux Mint KDE but W8 seems fine.   No OS is perfect though.   The howls that Ubuntu users made when it moved to Unity remind me of this.

Dec 23 12 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm a very pro-Microsoft user as well, even though I also own a Macbook Air, which I detest (I need it for work...blech).

I'm currently running Win 7-64 bit and am very happy with it. It never crashes, it runs fast, never any compatibility problems, etc. I'm running it on a custom built Ferrari of a desktop I built two years ago that just screams (i7 Processor, 16 GB Memory, etc.). That said, I'm considering upgrading. My only problem is I have a TON of software installed on this machine. Everything from Photoshop CS5 to Lightroom to a zillion different plugins, utilities, and even a few games. In the past, sometimes these OS upgrades are very painful, requiring a full re-install of all my software which is something I very much do not look forward to.

So how seamless is the upgrade to Win8? How much software will I need to go back and reinstall? One of the nice features of Mac OS is that when a new major OS upgrade comes out, everything ran just as it did before. On a Windows machine, it's never that simple. Can someone please outline how well the actual upgrade process worked for you as far as all this is concerned? Thanks!

Dec 23 12 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

Or it's the fact that it doesn't virtualize very well and it's very finicky about the hardware that it runs on. Other than that and the fact that no one can find anything yeah it's great.

So you enjoy a desktop filled with icons that all link to MS paid subscription services?

In regards to Vista, you realize that Vista was not a major release right? That it's what we call a mock or joke OS. do I need to explain this again? If a version of Windows doesn't have a server platform associated with it then it's what we call a stepping stone used by MS to develop and test new ides. The OS was never intended to have a full life or to be used in business class environment. Only to test new ides on the public.

Dec 23 12 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
I'm currently running Win 7-64 bit and am very happy with it. It never crashes, it runs fast, never any compatibility problems, etc.

I got me two PCs, one 64-bit and one 32-bit; both running Windows 7.  I have found that some of my ancient software runs on 32-bit and not on 64-bit.  That's a problem because I haven't found a suitable replacement for the ancient software -- a replacement is probably out there, but finding it, converting, etc. will take more time than I got right now.

Dec 23 12 08:39 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Dan K Photography wrote:

I upgraded, network connections started dropping, some images don't load from web sites, etc.  It has a uselsss GUI...yay.

From a logical, experienced outlook I see no reason they even made it available for PCs.  The differences are so minimal that they should have waited.

I will be reinstalling Windows 7 when I get my drives straight.

Dec 23 12 08:44 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
So how seamless is the upgrade to Win8? How much software will I need to go back and reinstall? One of the nice features of Mac OS is that when a new major OS upgrade comes out, everything ran just as it did before. On a Windows machine, it's never that simple. Can someone please outline how well the actual upgrade process worked for you as far as all this is concerned? Thanks!

There is a pre-install app that runs to determine what is or isn't going to work.

I'd wait.  There's no benefit to upgrading over Windows 7. 

Here's some material to read up on.

https://www.google.com/search?client=op … el=suggest

Dec 23 12 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Of course Win 8 runs well on older under-performing computers. It's made for a cell phone. A lot of people don't want their desktops to be acting like cell phones.
There should be an option to turn off ALL of Win 8s "touch-screen" "metro" interface and act like a desktop.

Dec 23 12 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

Shot By Adam wrote:
I'm a very pro-Microsoft user as well, even though I also own a Macbook Air, which I detest (I need it for work...blech).

I'm currently running Win 7-64 bit and am very happy with it. It never crashes, it runs fast, never any compatibility problems, etc. I'm running it on a custom built Ferrari of a desktop I built two years ago that just screams (i7 Processor, 16 GB Memory, etc.). That said, I'm considering upgrading. My only problem is I have a TON of software installed on this machine. Everything from Photoshop CS5 to Lightroom to a zillion different plugins, utilities, and even a few games. In the past, sometimes these OS upgrades are very painful, requiring a full re-install of all my software which is something I very much do not look forward to.

I was in the same boat. I have tons of software and games etc. The upgrade was seamless. The only thing I had to do was get the latest device driver for my video card. Other then that everything works great.

I have never upgraded before as I preferred to start from scratch so I can't compare it to other upgrades of windows os. All I can say is that this one worked well.

Dec 23 12 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

Vito wrote:
Of course Win 8 runs well on older under-performing computers. It's made for a cell phone. A lot of people don't want their desktops to be acting like cell phones.
There should be an option to turn off ALL of Win 8s "touch-screen" "metro" interface and act like a desktop.

It runs perfectly well as a desktop. The only difference is that the start menu is graphical. If you want you can EASILY work with it as a desktop without running any modern apps and you really will not notice a difference. That is pretty much what I have done so far.

No touchscreen needed.

Dec 23 12 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

GCobb Photography wrote:
I upgraded, network connections started dropping, some images don't load from web sites, etc.  It has a uselsss GUI...yay.

From a logical, experienced outlook I see no reason they even made it available for PCs.  The differences are so minimal that they should have waited.

I will be reinstalling Windows 7 when I get my drives straight.

Sorry but there is no logical experienced outlook represented by the above. You may have had problems but as far as I can see it must have been all user error as I have experienced none of that neither has any of the reputable reviews I have read on it including those that disliked it.

There is no useless GUI included.

did you even look at the results of that google search you put in? There is nothing of substance there.

Dec 23 12 10:24 am Link