Forums > Photography Talk > 5D Mark II vs. 6D

Photographer

Jordan Edwards Photo

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if it would be worth it to sell my 5DII and buy a 6D. A used 5DII is going for around $1300 now, so I'd be shelling out about $600. Has anyone shot with both? From what I gather, the 6D has the following advantages. Keep in mind that I mostly do doc work, not fashion:

-Better low light performance
-Slightly better AF
-Lighter

They both have bad moire issues when it comes to video, so it's a push there.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Jordan

Jan 11 13 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

to me the 6D feels more consumery.

is the AF better? i think the center point is more sensitive.

i was thinking about getting one but people keep saying MK III is the way to go.

what i want is:
* one more stop ISO
* locking mode dial
* dual card slots

if i were starting over i might consider a d600/d800.

if i didn't get paid to shoot in the dark most of the time the 5D MK II would be more than enough for all my needs (i don't shoot sports).

Jan 11 13 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Don't get caught with the newer model syndrome...

Marketing and Advertising inputting in your mind through inception that the older model is thrash and the newer model is a miracle worker.

Use the gear as you would a tool, not because of the seductive advertising, weaving a hypnotic trance on you that the new model is a must have.

Jan 11 13 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i don't think the 6D is meant to be a 5D MK II upgrade. that would be the MK III. but i have also been looking at it. if i can save $1K that's something.

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:

Jan 11 13 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Better use of money....

Jan 11 13 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

JAE

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

Illuminate wrote:
Better use of money....

This is what I was thinking too.

Jan 11 13 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

DOF Images

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Please tell us what your current camera doesnt do that you want it to do?
Will it take better photos?

Jan 11 13 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jacob delaRosa

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:

Marketing and Advertising inputting in your mind through inception that the older model is thrash and the newer model is a miracle worker.

Use the gear as you would a tool, not because of the seductive advertising, weaving a hypnotic trance on you that the new model is a must have.

Yah dude don't drink the cool-aid with a blindfold on. I recently bought a used D700 over a D600 after renting one and getting turned off by the af spread and low light focusing issues. 4 years old and the D700 still kicks the D600's ass for stills.

Jan 11 13 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Haven't shot with a 6D yet.

I did however pick one up yesterday in the store.

Something weird about how it feels. Other than the price the 5DMKIII feels right works exactly as expected, much better than the MKII. The image quality hasn't changed much between the MKII>III.

If I had to replace the MKII which I did as the shutter needs to be replaced, a 6D would be okay for a while knowing the MKIII is a really good camera.

Jan 11 13 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

To me, a 6D is to a 5D II as a D7000 is to a D300s.  I think that both the 6D and the D7000 has the better image quality, but the 5D II and the D300s are, in most other respects, better cameras.

I do think the center cross-point on the 6D is better than the 5D II.

Jan 11 13 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jordan Edwards Photo

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I'm not giving into marketing, and I realize that the 5DIII is the upgrade, not the 6D. But the 6D has better specs as the 5DII and costs hundreds less than the 5DIII. Consumer feel aside, it's essentially the 5DII.5. I'd totally go Nikon if I just shot stills, but I also shoot video, and Nikon video is awful. Skin looks like Silly Putty.

I was more interested in seeing if someone had used one.

Jan 11 13 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Jordan Edwards Photo wrote:
I'd totally go Nikon if I just shot stills, but I also shoot video, and Nikon video is awful.

So awful that there are now two network series being shot with it.   http://www.studiodaily.com/2013/01/niko … or-dexter/ and http://1hnews.com/nikon-enters-hollywoo … xter/9572/

Neither Nikon nor Canon produce cameras that will match a Red, not even the new Canon cinema gear.  When used properly, both will produce incredible video.

There are plenty of reasons to go with Canon and plenty of reasons to go with Nikon, but to say that Nikon video is "awful" is just not true.  Go with Canon for one of the right reasons, not because you looked at badly shot samples.

Jan 11 13 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

I'd go for a 6D. For anything where I could set up a tripod, I'd use the wifi feature. The AF would be better for events, and you also get a new processor as well as AF micro-adjustments in both ends of a zoom lens.

I think the 5DII has the bigger body, but that's almost irrelevant for me. Though I like the feel of the pro bodies (1D), I have no problem shooting with a Rebel and have used both side by side.

Maybe it's that I have worn mine out, but the 5D2 shutter button doesn't feel as responsive. It's good enough and not a problem, but it's certain less sensitive than my 7D or what I remember of the xxD bodies.

The thing is, you can get a used 5D2 for not much over $1k, and that's a great value for a body that still has great IQ. Price is what the 5D2 has going for it.

Jan 11 13 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Neither, save up your cashola and go for the 5DIII, a far better investment for future use.

Jan 12 13 02:20 am Link