Forums > MM Market > Photo Gear > WTT - Wanted a Broken Alien Bee

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Los Angeles, California, US

OK, this is weird, I want a broken, even non repairable Alien Bee.  Something I can take apart for research on a project I am considering.  Doesn't have to work, dunked in the ocean and full of sand is fine.  Squashed flat by a truck, not so much.  smile

Willing to trade a broken Larry Light company strobe, with a really cool small beauty dish, but open to other options.

Moderators, I hope this is and OK post, but if not let me know and I will modify it as necessary.

Thanks for looking.

KG

Jan 16 13 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

bump for interest

Jan 27 13 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Bumping.  I guess this is a great testimony for these lights that there are no broken ones out there  to be found.

Feb 09 13 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Sal W Hanna

Huntington Beach, California, US

Innovative Imagery wrote:
Bumping.  I guess this is a great testimony for these lights that there are no broken ones out there  to be found.

AB repairs most of their lights for $40 so I don't think you'll find a photographer willing to give one up. I do wish you the best on your quest and would suggest local swap meets.

Feb 11 13 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Yeah, I know they fix em well and cheap, which is why I am looking for one that is really toast.  Not trying to fix, but to destroy further.

I do check the local swap meets, but that is just the immediate area.  I would think a worldwide audience may make it a little easier.  I  have posted on many forums and no one is coming forward with one.

Sigh !

Feb 13 13 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

OK, hoping against hope, someone out there has had a unfortunate incident and has managed to break one of these bad enough.  smile

May 28 13 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

OK, Summer's over.  Did any of you drop one in the ocean?

Thought I would try again.  I have obtained the Vagabond Mini, so I am ready to move forward with my experiment.

Need an old busted AB400 or AB800.  One that cannot be fixed !  I intend to take it apart and will destroy it in the process.

Thanks for looking.

KG

Nov 23 13 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

OK, seeing if the xmas spirit will motivate someone to be willing to let go of a worn out alien bee.  Maybe get yourself a new one and too embarrassed to use that old beat up scratched, scuffed, funny colored, etc.  Heck at this point I am even willing to take one that works !  LOL.

Seriously, still looking for one that is totally broken so I can do some forensic destruction.

Help a brother out !  smile

Dec 22 13 10:08 am Link

Model

Anna Vanston

Wish I could help, but I don't have any clue what an alien bee even is! Although the image I get in my head is quite humorous XD But I hope you find one!

Dec 22 13 10:14 am Link

Photographer

The Gross Bite

Lansing, Michigan, US

I kinda think you are beating a dead horse in your search for a dead 'bee'.

Dunno why you want one, nothing much inside them but a power supply and a trigger circuit. And getting the thing apart beat me (Have one with a bad remote jack that I figured I could replace for less than the cost of shipping it back to Tennessee -- retired electronics engineer here.) Works just fine with the light trigger though, so no big deal.

And for the lady above, Google Alien Bee and you will get to see one.

Dec 23 13 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

I sent a picture to the lady who was unsure what a Bee was.  She thanked me.

I explained very clearly why I wanted one.  Money is too valuable to me to toss $300 down the drain to take one of these apart in the quest for a new design modification that may or may not work.

I recognize the value of these and am in awe of the customer service of the parent company that is able to fix so many of these for such a reasonable price, that it appears impossible to find a broken one in these United States of America.  I figured that there had to be one that was so far gone that its cadaver could be donated to science.  So far, no such luck.

There is a glimmer of hope on the horizon and only time will tell, if it pans out.  I am keeping my fingers crossed, but so far, nothing in my mail box.  I am hoping it is just holiday shipping overload causing the delay.

Jan 01 14 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

If one is ever broken, it's not broken for long so, good luck wit dat!!:-))

Jan 01 14 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

There are Christmas Miracles!

Yes, I do believe it is impossible to find a broken Alien Bee, that can't be repaired, as none have shown up during this whole time on many forums.

So I "tongue in cheek" suggested I would even accept a working unit and one has materialized!  A lovely member here has donated a used, working AB800 to the cause.  Since he has not posted on this thread,  I will not out him, except to say thank you !

The fact that this unit still works will allow some additional testing so it should speed up the development of the idea.

Pushing onward.  IF a broken one does come up, I will still accept it as it may be handy for parts for the project, but the initial crisis has been handled.

Jan 03 14 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

The Gross Bite

Lansing, Michigan, US

Now you have to figure out how to get it apart. Good luck! It beat me.

There's something beyond just taking the panel screws out that keeps things together.

Jan 07 14 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

I have a guy for that.  All the technical stuff is being done by a long time flash repair facility here in LA.  I am just the idea guy and the producer.

Jan 24 14 07:29 pm Link