Forums > Critique > PHOTOGRAPHERS: Why would you NOT hire me?

Model

Deanna Deadly

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ive been a fulltime traveling model for the last 6 years. I make enough money but of course I would like to make more.
Im curious as to why a photographer would not book me.
This is only directed at photographers who do HIRE models in my genre (Pin Up, Fetish, Art Nude). Please be kind, I am asking for critique but am still a person and appreciate respect! Im opening this thread to better myself. Thank you!

Jan 30 13 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Varton

New York, New York, US

I needed a Mohawk look, looks like we no longer can do it per your profile info LOL

Seriously, anyone doing the genres you specialize, wouldn't miss a shoot with you. Gorgeous port bdw.

Jan 30 13 04:52 pm Link

Model

Deanna Deadly

Chicago, Illinois, US

varton wrote:
I needed a Mohawk look, looks like we no longer can do it per your profile info LOL

Seriously, anyone doing the genres you specialize, wouldn't miss a shoot with you. Gorgeous port bdw.

Thank you! I had a long mohawk so it was easily hidden but am growing it out now!

Jan 30 13 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

GNapp Studios

Somerville, New Jersey, US

Besides location, can't think of a reason.

Jan 30 13 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

CireStudios

New York, New York, US

Depends on your rates. Your port is great, but are you rates too high where you are loosing work? Sometimes the answer is more obvious than you realize.

Jan 30 13 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

Because I can't afford you and you're pretty far away? Just a guess.

Jan 30 13 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Darryl Varner

Burlington, Iowa, US

I don't hire models, but assuming I did I wouldn't use you because you've already chosen a niche, defined your basic 'look' and you're not a blank canvas. While there's nothing wrong with a model chosing that path, there are so many 'clean' (non-genre specific) models in the world, that there wouldn't be a reason for me to select you.

[EDIT] I'm sorry. I miss-read your posting. This note doesn't actually answer your question and I apologize.

Jan 30 13 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

quite simply that your work is not my style. It has its own niche though, and I am sure that there are many that will wish to hire you. Good luck!

Jan 30 13 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

TallPix

Miami Springs, Florida, US

Would love to work with you

Jan 30 13 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

I think it doesnt serve you well to have photos from the past when you were slimmer with those of today where you are heavier (assuming that is the progression)

Best of luck

Mark

Jan 30 13 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

DVP Photography

Broomfield, Colorado, US

I don't see any real art nudes in your portfolio.  Also, your body is softer than models I hire for art nude.

Jan 30 13 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Deanna Deadly wrote:
Ive been a fulltime traveling model for the last 6 years. I make enough money but of course I would like to make more.
This is only directed at photographers who do HIRE models in my genre (Pin Up, Fetish, Art Nude). Please be kind, I am asking for critique but am still a person and appreciate respect! Im opening this thread to better myself. Thank you!

From my side, I don't have any money right now, and when I do, there's a huge list of models I'd like to hire, many of whom have had the faith to do trade shoots with me.

From yours, I see very little of the sort of thing I do in your port.  I'd shoot with you, but to pay you, I'd need to see more art nude work.  Or, more of something resembling what I do to one degree or another.  It's not a quality issue, I just see your port as a different genre.

Jan 30 13 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

MedievalIce

Ithaca, New York, US

I rarely hire models, so take this for what it's worth. 

For me, I don't really see much that really speaks to me, but we shoot different genres.  Also, I tend to shoot outdoors and on location quite a bit, and I don't see much like that on your port.

EDIT:  It would also depend somewhat on your rates.  If the numbers were right I may consider it.

Jan 30 13 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I am getting into ALT and like your style -  I really don't have any reasons in terms of pure critique why I would reject the opportunity to "shoot" you.....

If you were coming through my area and wanted to work with me I would be open to that....

however it is very rare that I "hire" models in the sense of pay money  -  all of my needs are being met by trade, or at very very low nominal rates....

my typical offer is this-

if you feel that my images would be of value for your port, and want to trade or offer me a super low rate,  I would offer you the flexibility to schedule me at any time during your visit  (with adequate notice)  or to skip shooting with me if you fill your card at a better rate......

one caveat - I am booked two months out so I would have to have a lot of notice to make this work -

Jan 30 13 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Ren Murray

Salem, Oregon, US

Well, you and I are already in talks to bring you to Oregon, however, I will try and offer you the critique you are asking for here. smile

First, I have never hired a model. My wife and I run a pinup group of about 40 beautiful ladies who raise money for veterans in need. When I want to do a shoot in this genre for my own port, I simply contact one of our pinups who are always happy to shoot with us TF.

That being said, I am excited enough to shoot with you that I am willing to lay out some cash!

Here's the critique part: I would like to see you stretch yourself as a model. Obviously, I love what you give in front of the camera, but if you are asking what more you could do, you could push yourself to create some more extreme poses and angles. I will use Mosh as an example here of poses that raise the bar for pinup/alt models. I think you are up there as one the best pinup/alt models in the industry, and worth hiring, but as with pretty much any model in any industry, there are ways to elevate, and stretch yourself as a model to create poses that are ever more provocative and make a good image a great one.

Looking forward to working with you soon!

Ren

Jan 30 13 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

AMBERCOOL

Springfield, Virginia, US

I think Deanna is an amazingly easy person to work with, and such a joy to have in front of the camera.  I think it just comes down to personal budget vs. having a paid project that would benefit both parties with an indirect relation to time.

Before last year I was able to put 80 hours of work to make money and this includes two jobs (photography included).  But now my other job pays me double and the time I have is limited.  Money drives business, but it also requires you to be a slave working long hours.  So I had to sacrifice photography to part-time, which I don't want to do, but circumstances force choices. 

Just this weekend I had to make choices to work with some new llamas TF and paid included, or to deal with paying clients.  Of course paying clients come first and I had to book a few things around.  In the end, the TF and paid llama(2) canceled and one paying client canceled.  I tried to book last minute, but that's never worked out great.  So I ended up with only one paying client for a 2 hour baby photo session. 

To me it's always a risk, and since I am limited on time the choices may not have been ideal.  If she was local I would have made a choice to call her up to shoot whatever since I blocked time out of my day anyway.

If she was a co-worker at my next cubicle/office we would be best office mates for sure.  Her personality is very admirable.  I thought I was cool... until I worked with her.  She's very dedicated and hard working.

Jan 30 13 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Caveman Creations

Addison, Texas, US

So you did ditch the Mohawk? For me actually, that would be the biggest reason. For what I need in models right now and in the past, shaved heads, asymmetrical, and the likes didn't fit. I need edgy, but only so much. Another thing would be rates. Just being able to afford you. I see you'll be in Dallas coming up, and please, feel free to hit me up. I may be able to work something out with you, I might not. We'll never know until we find out, huh?

Other than the hair (which by reading your profile, can be remedied anyway) I may have to sit with you over a cup of coffee, and see. There's only a handful of photos that show much of your actual figure, and they're not real good at showing your figure! Great shots for sure, but I'd need an up-to-date Polaroid to know for sure. Or, a cup of coffee to discuss it over. For me, it would be a 50/50 as to weather or not I could use you.

Now, for personal projects, I would have no real reason not to hire you, and do hope you contact me in April. We'll see!wink

Jan 30 13 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Sergei Rodionov

Dallas, Texas, US

If i'd be having pinup shoot or alternative shoot and commercial budget for it - i would hire you in a heart beat smile  Or for workshop on said theme.

I do not easily recommend people (being demanding, grumpy, not easy to get along with and generally having bad attitude smile) and you are on the list of "highly recommended to work with" from me.

Feb 01 13 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Angelfactory

Foley, Minnesota, US

Someone else mentioned older photos mixed with new. At a glance I guess I would have to say I have no clue what you would look like when you came through the door for a shoot tomorrow. Don't know what I'm paying for. Port is great and plenty busy so I guess it would be worth the risk. When I plan out a shoot I have every detail in my head before hand so if I can't tell who's coming to do it that throws a wrench in the whole works.
EDIT: Maybe a current non modeling every day look photo would help with this?

Feb 01 13 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Deanna Deadly wrote:

I don't shoot any of those styles and don't normally hire models for my personal work. BUT, based on your portfolio and this image in particular, I would make an exception and hire you.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/24359911

You have a great look.

Feb 01 13 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Christian B Aragon

Sparks, Nevada, US

Someone above mentioned "blank canvas" and I have to concur. As an artist I don't want to represent some other artist's work when creating my own, i.e.: tattoos. Along with the "blank canvas" mentality and the tattoos is the idea that you've defined yourself, period. When someone photographs you they're photographing [you] as opposed to an idea or another concept that wouldn't necessarily be 'you' per se.

NONE of that is meant to be a put down to you. In fact congratulations on defining yourself and your look. This is something photographers are always looking for their work and many fail. I can't say that I've succeeded, but I haven't stopped trying yet either. smile

Feb 01 13 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

C h a r l e s D

Los Angeles, California, US

Looks like the only reason I wouldn't hire you is we couldn't come up with a rate I could afford to pay.  Other than that, there's no reason I wouldn't work with you.

Feb 01 13 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

First you are a wonderful model with an interesting look, so on that basis I would hire you....
BUT.... I am a fine art photographer other than the breckhiemer image there is no fine art in your port.

Being from Minneapolis who travels to Chicago on business I would love to work with you. But first I would want to test you in the fine art arena before I would pay your rates.  Also as you know ink is traditionally an issue with classic art nudes.

I still think if you can pull of the simple nude portrait and emotive nude imagery than fine art photographers will come knocking.u 7

Feb 04 13 05:12 am Link

Photographer

Foto Priganica

Leeds, England, United Kingdom

Love your look and I wouldn't hire only cause you're just to far away from me wink

Feb 04 13 05:23 am Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Deanna Deadly wrote:

I certinaly do not find any problems with you as a model..   But:   you are too distant from my location..   I do not have customers in your type of modeling,  but it is obvious you could adapt..

Feb 04 13 05:28 am Link

Photographer

AndyD10

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

I book travelling art nude models. But as someone else posted, I dont see anthing I would call art nude in your portfolio.

Your style is not what I would shoot anyway and for me large tattoos are a showstopper. They just don't suit what I do.

Simply put I see you as tied to a particular genre that does not interest me.

I saw you have Dublin on your European tour before I looked at your images so I clicked on your portfolio with genuine interest.

Feb 04 13 05:48 am Link

Photographer

PTPhotoUT

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I am currently located in Las Vegas and I will possibly hire you when you get there in the fall, depending on your rates. As we all know, you are an Alt llama. For some reason Alt llamas tend to be more liberal and it seems a higher percentage of them shoot nudes.  I can shoot TFP with a dozen nude alt llamas on any given day, no real need to hire one, although I sometimes do. 

Blank canvasses are getting harder and harder to find. You seem to recognize this as well, because you mention your willingness to cover your tattoos. The more specialized you make yourself as a llama, the less jobs there will be for you.

The good(?) thing is that GWC's will hire just about any llama who will "get nekkid" for them.

Feb 04 13 05:58 am Link

Photographer

PTPhotoUT

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

AndyD10 wrote:
Simply put I see you as tied to a particular genre that does not interest me.

In her defense, she directed the question to photographers who shoot her genre, "This is only directed at photographers who do HIRE models in my genre (Pin Up, Fetish, Art Nude)."  As an alternative model, her genre would be Alternative Pin Up, Alternative Fetish, and Alternative Art Nude. While you do shoot Art Nudes (quite well I might add), you don't shoot alternative at all.

Feb 04 13 06:08 am Link

Photographer

D-Light

Newcastle, Limerick, Ireland

Assuming your rates are right and you were in Ireland for a while, I would hire you.

You are just right for some of what I do and wrong for more. It's just a case of having a project that suits you.

Edit; didn't see Dublin in your tour list, only looked at the headliners. Will be in touch.

Feb 04 13 06:19 am Link

Clothing Designer

Chain Reaction

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

For me it would be cost vs. return. The first thing I have to ask myself is will this model make the outfit look good enough to increase the sales of that particular item. Will it make it look like a "must have". How many would I have to sell to recoup the investment? There are a few that like to model  my items on a TF basis but basically it would all come down to a cost factor.

Feb 04 13 06:47 am Link

Photographer

AndyD10

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

PTPhotoUT wrote:
In her defense, she directed the question to photographers who shoot her genre, "This is only directed at photographers who do HIRE llamas in my genre (Pin Up, Fetish, Art Nude)."  As an alternative llama, her genre would be Alternative Pin Up, Alternative Fetish, and Alternative Art Nude. While you do shoot Art Nudes (quite well I might add), you don't shoot alternative at all.

Im sure she doesnt need defending - I certainly wasn't attacking smile  Yes, I read her genre as Art Nude rather than Alternative Art Nude.

And thank you for the compliment smile

Feb 04 13 07:07 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I shoot art nudes as a hobby.  As such I can't invest in shoots the way someone who is getting a large financial return can.

Most traveling models are charging rates that in addition to providing a living, must cover all their transportation costs.  As a result they often charge 4 times or more the highest rate I pay local models, but I do not feel I get 4 times the return.

The two times I've hired traveling models, it was because they made it clear they would accept rates that were at least close to what I normally pay local models.  When it comes to travel notices posted by models, unless I see reasonable rates posted or something that indicates a model will accept more moderate rates, I'm not even going to inquire.

Tattoo and unclear hair style & color would be another factor in your case.

Feb 04 13 09:04 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Not the right stats for the work I do.

Feb 04 13 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

1. I see you have a purple-hair, raven-haired, light brunette, blue hair; I also see shoulder length, slightly longer, even a mohawk.

I'd probably just be gun-shy in not knowing WHICH Deanna I'd be hiring. If a model's port is supposed to be a reasonably accurate representation of what you currently look like, I'd probably not run that risk.

2. Personally it doesn't bother me but from your bio you state you have a sleeve-length tattoo. It is EASILY going to cost you jobs. Many photographers take the viewpoint that they simply do not want to have to compete w/ someone else's art.

Feb 04 13 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

Farenell Photography wrote:
1. I see you have a purple-hair, raven-haired, light brunette, blue hair; I also see shoulder length, slightly longer, even a mohawk.

I'd probably just be gun-shy in not knowing WHICH Deanna I'd be hiring. If a model's port is supposed to be a reasonably accurate representation of what you currently look like, I'd probably not run that risk.

2. Personally it bother me but from your bio you state you have a sleeve-length tattoo. It is EASILY going to cost you jobs. Many photographers take the viewpoint that they simply do not want to have to compete w/ someone else's art.

This.

Lose the pics from your portfolio which don't show the current look.

But do include a pic of THAT tattoo so people can decide if it's a dealbreaker.

Feb 04 13 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Tyler C Johnson

San Diego, California, US

Long post, summary at end!

At this point you are already making money and booking shoots around the country so you obviously have a look that photographers desire. That of course is a good thing, it says you have a product or service that many find worth it to invest in. With that said, what I see missing is a good cohesive business strategy. Think about how your clients (photographers) find you and hire you and put yourself in their shoes. I am going to generalize and speak to three types of clients to think about; Photographers who know of you and want to book you, photographers who don't know of you but want to cast for your 'look', and photographers who want to book a 'personality' in the industry or someone well known.

If I knew of you, knew of your MM and twitter perhaps and wanted to book you how do I do that? Do I direct message you on twitter? Tag you in a tweet? Send a PM on MM? Maybe I should dig around and find your facebook! At the end of the day it seems you take bookings from a dozen places, or maybe you don't, who is to know because you do not specify or make it easy for your clients to find and book you. Too many choices/options is often just as bad as none at all. I would suggest a single simple to use website that shows updated pictures and has a big "book me here book me now!" page that makes it easy to book you. Have all your profile and social networking sites point boldly and only to that one webpage.

For the client who does not know you but is looking for a model with your look, how are you marketing yourself to attract the attention of these clients? Just as importantly when they find one of your profiles how consistent is the look that you show? Are all your pictures cohesive and is all the information in your profile concise, easy to understand and pertinent to a photographers needs when hiring you? Anything that isn't get rid of asap!

Lastly for the photographer looking for a "personality" what we are really talking about is a brand. What is your brand? When somebody mentions your name do most photographers, magazine editors, and others in your industry picture your look? This all boils down to the two pieces of advice above, open the door for your business to book more by streamlining your booking process, make a place for you to develop your brand cohesively and find the essence of your "look" and focus on only displaying work that meets that "look". Hope this helps!

Summary; Make it easy to find and book you, get one central website that everything points to. Develop your brand, take out any photos that do not speak to that brand closely. Be picky with what you display every photo either adds or subtracts from your brand! Become a personality in the industry. Anything you write, tweet, post or display should enhance and build on "Deanna Deadly" the business not just the person.

Feb 04 13 10:14 am Link