Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Unclog my shower drain with what?

Photographer

Jack English

Encinitas, California, US

I have used draino in the past on my sinks, but I remember it really didn't work well if at all.  Now my shower is getting clogged up, any suggestions.

Jan 31 13 06:21 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

Hot water, a plunger and lots of plunging.

Don't use chemicals as a first resort, because if you still need to plunge you risk splashing the chemicals onto you later.

Jan 31 13 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Plunging is best (may take several times).

If you need to use a chemical opener, use a gel type and make sure there is standing water when you use it.

Jan 31 13 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

https://www.benfranklinplumbingcharlotte.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Plumbers-Snake-0324.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Jan 31 13 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

needle nosed pliers. followed with a plunger.

Jan 31 13 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Broughton

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

cola and mentos.

Jan 31 13 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

-Ira

New York, New York, US

MoRina wrote:
Hot water, a plunger and lots of plunging.

Yep.  I live in an old building.  This is my first strategy.

Jan 31 13 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

Michael Broughton wrote:
cola and mentos.

lol nice.

Jan 31 13 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

Is it getting cligged or is hair building up on the stopper mechanism?

Do you have a little leaver that plugs and unplugs the drain to fill the tub?

Jan 31 13 07:00 pm Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

try boiling hot water and clorox, I have not met a clog that could not be undone by these two.

Jan 31 13 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Jack English wrote:
I have used draino in the past on my sinks, but I remember it really didn't work well if at all.  Now my shower is getting clogged up, any suggestions.

Draino is generic shit, and has never worked on more than a couple of splooge loads.
Get something along the lines of industrial strength, janitorial supply, check Home Depot first.

Failing that, get something you can snake past the first trap....it won't be far.

Jan 31 13 07:20 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

egyptmachine wrote:
try boiling hot water and clorox, I have not met a clog that could not be undone by these two.

I couldn't get my kitchen sink drain unplugged with that method.

It actually required heavy-duty chemicals to make it unstop. I think though that the clog was out on the main line, not specifically in my apartment, and was likely to be something really gross stuck in there from one of the other units in the house.

Either way, Drano finally got it, when not even bleach and hot water would.

Jan 31 13 07:21 pm Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

Koryn Locke wrote:

I couldn't get my kitchen sink drain unplugged with that method.

It actually required heavy-duty chemicals to make it unstop. I think though that the clog was out on the main line, not specifically in my apartment, and was likely to be something really gross stuck in there from one of the other units in the house.

Either way, Drano finally got it, when not even bleach and hot water would.

dang you must of had a monster of a clog in there, lol!

Jan 31 13 07:22 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

You're supposed to use draino and a snake.
Just draino simply makes a weird goopthing that's difficult to move once it dries.

I refer to all unclogging solutions as draino (much like all facial tissues are kleenex) and I usually get something stronger than draino that's not called draino but that's still what I call it.

If that makes sense.

Jan 31 13 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

S W I N S K E Y wrote:
https://www.benfranklinplumbingcharlotte.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Plumbers-Snake-0324.jpg

I will second the snake.
Works best for me.

Clorox worked for a while but the snake finally did the trick.

Jan 31 13 07:24 pm Link

Model

Koryn

egyptmachine wrote:

dang you must of had a monster of a clog in there, lol!

When the main house line gets clogged, my sink gets backed up first. I'm not sure why that is, but I will start having problems with it before either the upstairs or the side condo does.

Jan 31 13 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Viking

Ashville, Ohio, US

If it is mostly hair and gook These things work wonders.
http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/507

https://kk.org/wp-content/archiveimages/archives/zip_it.jpg

Jan 31 13 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

I've been in my house for 13 yrs. and have never needed a plumber, or a rooter type of device. For the bathtub, I run hot water for about 2 min., then I pour about a quart of gel draino into the drain. Now I plug the drain and wait about 20 min., then I turn on the hot water again and fill the tub about 80-90%. I unplug the drain and let the gravity and heat of the water flush out the clog. It's worked 100% of the time.

*Make sure the water isn't scorching hot, because that may damage the pipes.

Now, if the blockage is being caused by a root of the tree, then you'll need to pay a plumber.

Jan 31 13 07:56 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Lost Viking wrote:
If it is mostly hair and gook These things work wonders.
http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/507

https://kk.org/wp-content/archiveimages/archives/zip_it.jpg

I got one of those stuck down in my bathtub drain at one point. Had to just cut the top off of it.

Jan 31 13 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Caveman Creations

Addison, Texas, US

Damianne wrote:
You're supposed to use draino and a snake.
Just draino simply makes a weird goopthing that's difficult to move once it dries.

I refer to all unclogging solutions as draino (much like all facial tissues are kleenex) and I usually get something stronger than draino that's not called draino but that's still what I call it.

If that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. Just like when you show up to a party, and someone says,
"Did you get the Cokes?"
And you say, "Yeah."
They at this point say, "What kind?"

Makes perfect sense.

Jan 31 13 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Pocket Watch

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

That's an excellent use for an llama herder.

Jan 31 13 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Caveman Creations

Addison, Texas, US

First, you might want to figure out what is in the shower drain? If it's hair, it could be wrapped around the drain itself, or stuck somewhere in between. A snake would work great for this. If it's an old house, with Cast Iron piping, as the pipe erodes over time, soap, and all kinds of other nastiness can build up around the pipe, closing it off. Draino would work well here. Got kids? Did one of them drop a toy or the lid to something down the pipe? If so, none of the above is going to work. Determine what the problem is, and the solution may present itself.

Jan 31 13 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Berghammer

Seattle, Washington, US

I am a property manager so I deal with this on a weekly basis. Grab a bottle of HAIR AWAY (SeptiClear) it is sort of a trade secret used by hotel owners and property maintenance people. Throw the whole bottle down the drain before you go to bed, and when you get up in the morning pour three pots of boiling hot water after it. If this doesn't work call a Rooter company because the problem is probably deeper and more complicated than simple home remedies can fix.

Jan 31 13 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Jack English wrote:

Depends on what type of drain plug you have. Is it an "old" style where you have a lever to make it open or close, or is it the "new" where you simply rotate the plug to make it open or close. Big difference.

Jan 31 13 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

S W I N S K E Y wrote:

+1

Jan 31 13 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

John Edward

Dallas, Texas, US

"Did you get the Cokes?"
And you say, "Yeah."
They at this point say, "What kind?"

Dr Pepper.

GREAT!

Jan 31 13 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

Jack English wrote:

I use something a hell of a lot stronger than Drano, I use this H2SO4 based product (sulfuric acid) it stinks to high heaven when it works,  the smell is sooooo bad I have to put on a gas mask to enter the bathroom to flush the crap down the drain.  But it works. I just have to air out the house for an hour or so. My neighbors think all the shit in the neighborhood must have come up my toilet . They can smell the rotten egg smell 5 houses down.  Well it makes for an interesting conversation piece.

Jan 31 13 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

draino makes it worse.

Jan 31 13 10:39 pm Link

Model

Nedah Oyin

Chicago, Illinois, US

Nobody said plain yogurt.. ninja

Jan 31 13 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

the lonely photographer wrote:
I use something a hell of a lot stronger than Drano, I use this H2SO4 based product (sulfuric acid) it stinks to high heaven when it works,  the smell is sooooo bad I have to put on a gas mask to enter the bathroom to flush the crap down the drain.  But it works. I just have to air out the house for an hour or so. My neighbors think all the shit in the neighborhood must have come up my toilet . They can smell the rotten egg smell 5 houses down.  Well it makes for an interesting conversation piece.

Chuckles. I've used that stuff too. Nasty shit, but it sure does work. Helpful hint. Get a plastic beer cup, line the rim with toothpaste to form a seal, and then set the cup upside down over the drain. Works wonders.

The problem with most of the suggestions in this thread are we don't know if he has the old or new style drain plug.

Jan 31 13 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Holy Macaroni!

Just look at the amount of Ads about plumbing on the ad space of this thread!

SEM and SEO working effectively here, guys and gals who own MM...

TH

Jan 31 13 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Fingers.

But first install a proper shower trap (like a mini sieve that slots into the drain-hole) to collect all the hair and congealed soap before it can make it's way beyond reach... I did - cause I'm smart like that.

It's still disgusting to clean out, but at least it only takes 20 seconds to do once a week.

Feb 01 13 12:36 am Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

Lohkee wrote:

Chuckles. I've used that stuff too. Nasty shit, but it sure does work. Helpful hint. Get a plastic beer cup, line the rim with toothpaste to form a seal, and then set the cup upside down over the drain. Works wonders.

The problem with most of the suggestions in this thread are we don't know if he has the old or new style drain plug.

drains can be really nasty. I found all kinds of crap hardened like concrete in the pipes needed a chisel to break the clogs,  I ended up replacing all the drains with new black abs pipes and reconfigured a lot of drains. Seems the plumbers of years past didn't care if the layouts were going to create drainage problems later in the future,   You may have a plumber hydrojet the drains to clear out all the black stinky shit that's clogging the pipes.

Feb 01 13 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Lorton, Virginia, US

Club soda?

Feb 01 13 03:18 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

This always worked for me...

https://www.drano.com/PublishingImages/i/Product/Drano_Foamer.png

There are two separate chemicals in the (internally divided) bottle.  Pour equal portions into the drain, wait 15 minutes, and run the shower for a minute or so.  The two parts foam up when they come into contact with each other.  Note:  leave the exhaust fan running while it's working.  I use it maybe twice a year.

Feb 01 13 07:44 am Link

Photographer

C h a r l e s D

Los Angeles, California, US

S W I N S K E Y wrote:

Yup.  A snake will work better than anything else.

Feb 01 13 01:14 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Madison, Wisconsin, US

I second Drano.

But if you don't want to use chemicals, maybe try baking soda and vinegar? I've heard this works although I haven't tried it myself. I will tonight though...my shower drain is horribly clogged -.-

Feb 01 13 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Decay of Memory

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Not enough information. I need to know more about your shower drain. If it's missing a screen or the holes are big enough there could be some object(s) like shampoo caps stuck in there. If that's the case chemicals would be ineffective and a plunger the best bet. With hair, sometimes chemicals and sometimes disassembling the guard or screen is easiest. Usually have to do a bit of dissasembly for the auger.

Feb 01 13 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

SensualThemes

Swoyersville, Pennsylvania, US

Jack English wrote:

Hd and lowes sell this zip strip...a barbed thin piece of plastic that you shove down the drain. Works great on showers. Like 3 bux

Feb 01 13 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Decay of Memory wrote:
Not enough information. I need to know more about your shower drain. If it's missing a screen or the holes are big enough there could be some object(s) like shampoo caps stuck in there. If that's the case chemicals would be ineffective and a plunger the best bet. With hair, sometimes chemicals and sometimes disassembling the guard or screen is easiest. Usually have to do a bit of dissasembly for the auger.

Yeppers. Just about every suggestion in this thread is going to be a big waste of time and money if he has one of the new style drain plugs (the kind that rotate to open or close).

Feb 01 13 02:05 pm Link