Forums > Model Colloquy > WHY do you want to be "skinny"?

Model

- Aina -

Redlands, California, US

This question is for the models, though it can apply to anyone, really. It pertains more to the desire to model.

I've lost weight to be more healthy all-around. I feel better in general. Though, my loss has come due to me eating better and moving more. I'd be lying to you if I didn't say it was a vanity thing. I'd also be lying to you if I didn't say I wasn't trying to be more controlling and assertive in my life and this was one of the ways I was showing it. I know I will never be stick thin or "lanky" as my body's makeup doesn't permit for that. I can be thinner, but I'll always have thighs that rock and an ass to boot. While my career as a model has influenced my decision to, it isn't my fire to make change.

This thread is NOT a place to judge. I simply want to know your reasons.

*As a side note: Should you be on your journey off weight loss, toning, or just kicking life in the face with your good looks, I encourage you to be healthy about it. Don't skip meals (if possible - Life happens, it's inevitable). Drink water. Love yourself. If you're journey is more volatile and can kill you, please, talk to someone. hmm I personally don't have experience with bulimia or anorexia, but I know many who do who are willing to help.

Feb 12 13 08:17 am Link

Model

Crystal Rose Modeling

Sacramento, California, US

I want to be healthy and happy with the way I look. I was always under the impression that I needed to be anorexically thin to be a model, but now I've realized it mostly applies to the fashion industry and that models come in all shapes and sizes. Like you, I got a booty and thighs that I was initially unhappy that I didn't lose when I lost weight. My dad also has always thick thighs, so there may not be much more I can do about that. I just try to be active and eat right. I let my body tell me what the right weight is for me from there.

Feb 12 13 10:03 am Link

Model

_eMMe_

Florence, Toscana, Italy

I'm naturally thin and I love to walk a lot. I would love to have more time to sport, it's not so much a look question: I just feel better when I'm thinner and I do sport.

Feb 12 13 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Velvet Paper Photo

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Because I look better & feel better when I weight 105lbs as opposed to 130lbs like I am now. I'm very petite. The job I just quit was a desk job so I've become unhealthy & very unhappy. sad That's partially why I quit.

MM # 768695

Feb 12 13 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Little Ginger Lamb

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I just want to be thinner, because I look at pictures of me from 2008, and I look so healthy and fit. I'm not actually that much heavier than I was in 2008, but the weight distribution was a lot better. For one, my thighs weren't as stumpy.

I do NOT want to go back to my college weight, which was 89 pounds at 5'3 (I was on a medication that made me absolutely NOT want to eat, ever). I was definitely "model thin," but boy, did I get a lot of people saying I looked like a concentration camp victim.

Feb 12 13 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Velvet Paper Photo

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Little Ginger Lamb wrote:
I just want to be thinner, because I look at pictures of me from 2008, and I look so healthy and fit. I'm not actually that much heavier than I was in 2008, but the weight distribution was a lot better. For one, my thighs weren't as stumpy.

I do NOT want to go back to my college weight, which was 89 pounds at 5'3 (I was on a medication that made me absolutely NOT want to eat, ever). I was definitely "model thin," but boy, did I get a lot of people saying I looked like a concentration camp victim.

I know how you feel. At one point, due to depression, I weighed 85lbs at 5'1".

Feb 12 13 10:33 am Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

I don't.

Feb 12 13 10:36 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

What a great thread!

For me it happened gradually, but with modeling (thusly becoming more body aware, bla bla)

and an experiment (I stopped eating meat for a month, to see if I could do it and to see if my theory about the hormones and additives in the meat was correct- I dropped ten pounds without trying in one month. When I had a meat hankering, I scarfed some MorningStar products. Works for me) I lost almost 30 lbs.

My drivers licence from a couple of years ago says 144lbs at 5'10". All normal, but nothing special. A bit soft around the middle. Now I can feel my abs move my body, instead of my sore back.

I feel sexy for the first time in my life, and I have started working out a bunch so I'm not just thin but lean. My mood, posture and self confidence have improved somewhat drastically, and with it my abilites and the way I pose.

The attention from the males is insane! The ladies flock around me to get a whiff of the fabulous.

The sun is positively shinging out of my behind!

And, like the OP said, folks, the only way to do it is to eat better and move more. Love yourself!

Feb 12 13 10:42 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

evil DP

Feb 12 13 10:42 am Link

Model

Melodye Joy

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

I have recently been on a healthy kick...some hear me say I want to go low/no carb and lessen my coffee/soda/sugar intake and  they see red flags and images of eating disorders
... "you don't need to loose weight, your skinny enough", "you could use another cheeseburger and fries", "but that's unhealthy"....No! It's not (always) about being skinny!

My family has a history of health issues, from heart problems to cancers and dementia and Im not getting any younger....I feel like for me, I want to maintain the weight I have, tidy my skin and flush out the bad toxins and plainly, crap in have digested into my body.

I have been trying my best to go from chips and dip, tacos, burgers and fries... to carrots, meats & salad, eggs and fruit or yogurt cups. I also started drinking soy milk rather than whole milk. 

Also, I am terrible when it comes to working out, so, Im starting to eat better to feel better and get up and work out, even if its for a few mins a day.

This isn't about being skinny or a fear of becoming overweight...it's about feeling better all around. Cutting carbs & caffeine has even changed my attitude.

Im not as snappy/irritable/high strung/tired...all that factors in so often when it comes to consuming fast foods, coffee, soda.

Feb 12 13 10:48 am Link

Model

Mary Geraldine

Valdese, North Carolina, US

DivaEroticus wrote:
I don't.

I'm with this smart lady.
I'm happy with myself just the way I am. And if that changes, I will still be happy.

Feb 12 13 10:54 am Link

Model

Kozmina

Bakersfield, California, US

Some say I am "skinny" but I just consider myself to be healthy and I so wish other people would aim for the same instead of "skinny".

Glad to see the OP and others seem to feel the same way. borat

Feb 12 13 10:56 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

I used to be really skinny, now I'm naturally fat.
I'd like to go back to the weight I was when I was 30, if for no other reason that i still have an attic full of clothes that no longer fit me and which are back in fashion...

Feb 12 13 11:08 am Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Personally because I want to feel like I really really love how my body looks.

I'm really happy with the progress that I've made working out. Now I just want to drop another inch from my waist, a couple from my hips and tone up some more to get where I wish my body always was.

I'm trying to get to the perfect hourglass figure, which I think would look pretty awesome with my bodytype.

Feb 12 13 12:37 pm Link

Model

T A Y L O R

Seattle, Washington, US

For me? I don't. Although I've never been able to put on weight, so for me 110 is about my max.

For modeling? I do, because it means I have more options and feel better in front of a camera.

Feb 12 13 12:46 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I do not want to be skinny. I was quite thin for much of my life, at age 13 I was 5'9" and 108 pounds. I stayed that way for what seemed like forever even though I ate normally. My family, friends, and doctor all told me to gain weight so but it just didn't happen. At age 35 I was 114 pounds. Finally when I got pregnant at age 39 I put on some weight, afterward I levelled off at 135 and since then have gone up to 140. Yesterday I was at the doctor and I asked if I could lose weight, and was advised not to as they felt I was at a good weight now. I have shrunk a bit, now 5' 7 1/2" tall down from my younger height.

People still consider me thin, I am definitely the thinnest and weigh the least of anyone in my family.  The artists and photographers I model for all seem quite pleased with my size, so I am good with it also.

Feb 12 13 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Maybe skinny but why do they eat so much.

Feb 12 13 03:46 pm Link

Model

angel emily

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I have always been this size, since high school.

I like myself this way.

I would tend toward an extreme pear-shape if I were to gain weight, and I don't like that look for myself.

I used to be someone who could "eat anything and never gain weight".  Now I'm older, I find that is slowing down and I do have to be more conscious about what I eat, but I do not gain weight easily.

Feb 12 13 03:55 pm Link

Model

Rosemarie Bennet

Southampton, Pennsylvania, US

DivaEroticus wrote:
I don't.

You took the words right out of my mouth smile

That being said, I am ALL about body positivity. I don't bash anyone's body or weight because I don't know about that person's health or their situation.

Feb 12 13 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

During my military and related career, I was always buff.  6'2, 225 with 34" waist.

It's a long, somewhat sad and highly classified story, but I wound up with a TBI and in a coma.  There is an image of me in my profile that shows the damage to my head....

In the little over a year that was required to stand on my own hind legs and walk and talk again,  I gained 50lbs and lost muscle. 

I went from someone who had run marathons - on a few occasions with a 75lb pack in team events -  to someone who could just make it across a room....

The excess weight and loss of muscle mass took a long time to address - I have gotten any younger either....    so now I am 6'2 and 200lbs.  36" waist (44" chest that used to be closer to 48...).  I can easily benchpress my weight again but nowhere near what I used to.... due to another injury I am limited to about 10k running.....

So for me, losing the weight I picked up, getting back in tone if not into the prior level of fitness, was and is  a matter of getting some of my life back.....  my metabolism is not what it once was so it is a challenge....

I am fairly relentless about my fitness - such as it is -  I feel better physically and emotionally when I am on the thinner side (usually closer to 190 - I've put on some winter weight -more than I would like....) 

I like the way I feel - in every respect - when I am at my lower weight range and keeping up with my fitness routine.....

Feb 12 13 04:13 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Why do you care? You say you don't want to judge, but everything about this is judging.

Feb 12 13 05:32 pm Link

Model

Angel ONeill

Venice, Veneto, Italy

I dont want to be skinny either Im approx 140lb and only 5'4 but would you say in my avatar I look out of shape/unhealthy? Nope. I walk everywhere and I play squash and I love dancing. Im very happy with my figure.

Feb 13 13 05:27 am Link

Model

Rachel_Elizabeth_22

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Im naturally skinny and luckily can eat whatever i want, i sure itll catch up with me at some point. Then ill acctually have to exercise. Lol

Feb 13 13 06:14 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

I used to be, very skinny. Not by choice, but I couldn't gain weight. I was 5'4", 85 pounds, and I thought I'd always be that way. I dealt with a lot of eating disorder assumptions from people at school. It wasn't a big deal, and I just got used to it (for the record, I didn't have an eating disorder and still don't).

One day, I got food poisoning from shrimp, and I went into the hospital. I actually spent about 30 minutes arguing with them, while I was getting sick from the FP, while they were telling me I had an eating disorder, and I was telling them I didn't. I had a health appetite, but I just couldn't gain. They wouldn't believe me. That was the last straw.

After that, i started eating bad/junk food on purpose, just so I could gain weight, and I went up to about 125 pounds. It still amazes me how often people i knew forever tell me i look so much better, and no longer https://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.pngthin. Yeah, i'm a bit chubby around the belly and my thighs, but it all evens out and I feel like I look great.

I've since changed back to my better eating habits; told me roomie to let me know if i ever go back to being too thin.

My point? As long as you are happy in yourself, what does it matter what everyone else thinks? Be happy, confident. everyone else is ALWAYS going to pass judgment on you. Always!

Feb 13 13 06:44 am Link

Model

angel emily

SPierce Photography wrote:
I dealt with a lot of eating disorder assumptions from people at school. It wasn't a big deal, and I just got used to it (for the record, I didn't have an eating disorder and still don't).

One day, I got food poisoning from shrimp, and I went into the hospital. I actually spent about 30 minutes arguing with them, while I was getting sick from the FP, while they were telling me I had an eating disorder, and I was telling them I didn't. I had a health appetite, but I just couldn't gain. They wouldn't believe me. That was the last straw.

I dealt with this all the time, too!

I was 5'7", 105 in high school - since then I've gained about 10lbs - but back then, everyone thought I secretly had a problem (except my parents, who knew what and how much I ate!)

At one point, my doctor had me coming in monthly for "weight check ins".  Behind closed doors, the doctor would interrogate me and ask me if I ate regular meals, if I throw up after I eat, and even if my parents ever withhold food from me!

I have always been very healthy, yet I have "failure to thrive" on my medical record, diagnosed at age 15.

My new doctor saw this on my record and questioned it, and then rolled her eyes and told me "That's something that infants are sometimes diagnosed with -- not 15 year old girls."

In college, I had a stomach virus and ended up going to the campus on-site doctor's office.  I dealt with such harsh judgement from the doctor there who was convinced I had a problem.

Feb 13 13 06:58 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

e m i l y wrote:

I was 5'7", 105 in high school - since then I've gained about 10lbs - but back then, everyone thought I secretly had a problem (except my parents, who knew what and how much I ate!)

At one point, my doctor had me coming in monthly for "weight check ins".  Behind closed doors, the doctor would interrogate me and ask me if I ate regular meals, if I throw up after I eat, and even if my parents ever withhold food from me!

I have always been very healthy, yet I have "failure to thrive" on my medical record, diagnosed at age 15.

My new doctor saw this on my record and questioned it, and then rolled her eyes and told me "That's something that infants are sometimes diagnosed with -- not 15 year old girls."

In college, I had a stomach virus and ended up going to the campus on-site doctor's office.  I dealt with such harsh judgement from the doctor there who was convinced I had a problem.

thank god i'm not alone in that! sucks it  happened to us both... the nerve of some of these doctors- especially when i was sick and in distress, still ticks me off to this day!

Feb 13 13 07:09 am Link

Model

Koryn

I'm reasonably comfortable with my body, but I have always been disproportionately pear-shaped with very short legs. I doubt I will ever be okay with that. I still do not really feel comfortable wearing swimsuits at the beach, not without a butt-cover anyway.

Feb 13 13 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Koryn Locke wrote:
I'm reasonably comfortable with my body, but I have always been disproportionately pear-shaped with very short legs. I doubt I will ever be okay with that. I still do not really feel comfortable wearing swimsuits at the beach, not without a butt-cover anyway.

I like your butt!!!

*runs away*

Feb 13 13 07:20 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Aina Nudes wrote:
This question is for the models, though it can apply to anyone, really. It pertains more to the desire to model.

I've lost weight to be more healthy all-around. I feel better in general. Though, my loss has come due to me eating better and moving more. I'd be lying to you if I didn't say it was a vanity thing. I'd also be lying to you if I didn't say I wasn't trying to be more controlling and assertive in my life and this was one of the ways I was showing it. I know I will never be stick thin or "lanky" as my body's makeup doesn't permit for that. I can be thinner, but I'll always have thighs that rock and an ass to boot. While my career as a model has influenced my decision to, it isn't my fire to make change.

This thread is NOT a place to judge. I simply want to know your

*As a side note: Should you be on your journey off weight loss, toning, or just kicking life in the face with your good looks, I encourage you to be healthy about it. Don't skip meals (if possible - Life happens, it's inevitable). Drink water. Love yourself. If you're journey is more volatile and can kill you, please, talk to someone. hmm I personally don't have experience with bulimia or anorexia, but I know many who do who are willing to help.

My reasonsare because time, age and activity will cause weight gain, and a donward spiral towards ill health and a loss of agility and wellness. Wearing added girth, accumulated ubheathily and baggage on our bodies felt bad on me when I gained tha last 5 pounds before I turned it back towards health a few months ago. Yes I have some vanity in this. While I am very comfortable wearing my age, and all that goes with it, I am not comfortable wearing the results of what iactivity and over consuming does to me.
Jen

Feb 13 13 07:24 am Link

Model

-Nicole-

Madison, Wisconsin, US

In my mind, and it's been ingrained for years, skinny = ideal.

It's even more prevalent now with the media pushing it down our throats. I am easily influenced by what I see on magazine stands. It's unfortunate, and it's something I'm trying to work on.

Feb 13 13 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Little Ginger Lamb

Atlanta, Georgia, US

e m i l y wrote:

I had a few doctors check out why I couldn't gain -- thyroid tests, especially. I had LOST 15 pounds my freshman year of college, and then the Adderall I was prescribed knocked me down to 89. My mom (and everyone else) thought I had an eating disorder and my doctor told her to check if there was an "odor" around my toilet. ...Really!? I remember getting my blood pressure checked a lot, too.

I had to go off Adderall when my doctor retired (finding a doctor who specializes in Adult ADD is difficult), and slowly gained up to 115. Much healthier now, but I don't really feel comfortable in my skin anymore, like I did when I was around 105ish. (Keep in mind that I'm 5'3, and 10 pounds can make a world of difference at my size.)

Feb 13 13 07:47 am Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

because if I don't work hard to stay skinny, I'll fall dangerously underweight and be skeletor and feel like shit all the time.

I gotta diet to maintain my weight.

Feb 13 13 08:23 am Link

Model

Phane

Rockville, Maryland, US

I just had a baby and would like my post baby bod back :-)

Feb 13 13 08:31 am Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

I don't.

I'm okay with being curvy.

Feb 13 13 08:35 am Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

Koryn Locke wrote:

I like your butt, too.

:gives it a squeeze:  wink

Feb 13 13 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

OK, I'm a guy so it's different.
Currently my weight is on the high end of normal so I guess I'm pretty healthy.
I'd like to be thinner than I am now because of aesthetics really.
I don't like seeing a bigger midsection on me.
I'd like to trim down to see if I can still have more of an athletic body like I used to have when I was younger.

Feb 13 13 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

dp, oops

Feb 13 13 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Velvet Paper Photo

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:
Why do you care? You say you don't want to judge, but everything about this is judging.

Who is judging?

Feb 13 13 09:14 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I don't want to be skinny, I want to be fit. I'm never going to be any lower than 145-150 based on my body frame, but I want to look the best I can at that weight. I've lost 10.2 pounds in the past two weeks, so I'm 20 pounds away from my goal already!

Feb 13 13 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Velvet Paper Photo

Lexington, Kentucky, US

MatureModelMM wrote:
I do not want to be skinny. I was quite thin for much of my life, at age 13 I was 5'9" and 108 pounds. I stayed that way for what seemed like forever even though I ate normally. My family, friends, and doctor all told me to gain weight so but it just didn't happen. At age 35 I was 114 pounds. Finally when I got pregnant at age 39 I put on some weight, afterward I levelled off at 135 and since then have gone up to 140. Yesterday I was at the doctor and I asked if I could lose weight, and was advised not to as they felt I was at a good weight now. I have shrunk a bit, now 5' 7 1/2" tall down from my younger height.

People still consider me thin, I am definitely the thinnest and weigh the least of anyone in my family.  The artists and photographers I model for all seem quite pleased with my size, so I am good with it also.

According to doctors I should weigh what I do now (130lbs.) but I look like crap.  I absolutely HATE going to the doctors because they think they know what's best for my body type... um, no.  I am unhealthy right now because of my weight.  If you feel like you should lose weight, then do it.  If you feel you're healthy enough at the weight you are now, then don't.  Just because a doctor said your weight is good, doesn't mean it's good for YOU.  I know my weight certainly isn't for me.

Feb 13 13 09:22 am Link