Forums > Model Colloquy > Tattooed models who don't want to do porn......

Model

Feral Ferocious

Posts: 112

San Francisco, California, US

Razordolls, Suicide girls, this is where most tattooed women find a degree of notoriety. Nudes are fine by me, spreadshots somehow seem a little different. In your experience are there any sites where you can get a good set and get your name out there? Maybe we should just keep working solo and instagram and facebook ourselves silly. It can work. thoughts?.....

Apr 02 13 12:20 pm Link

Model

Miss Vixxen

Posts: 92

Torquay, England, United Kingdom

So far i've constantly been told "if you want to be a good alt model you need to do topless.." Although i havn't got as much experience as some i still find work with clothes on smile

I guess to show tattoo's off you need to show skin too but I'd say it's up to the model how much of it you show smile

Apr 02 13 12:38 pm Link

Model

Feral Ferocious

Posts: 112

San Francisco, California, US

I agree. Nudity doesn't bother me much at all, topless is totally fine, most of my work lately, the paid work included, has been implies at its most riske, otherwise its been underwear etc. So I'd actually like to do more nudes haha. But its a fine line

Apr 02 13 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Don Anderson

Posts: 297

Salem, Oregon, US

Take a look at Zivity.com. Not as edgy ad SG and you don't need to undress if you don't want to but you can. They prefer tasteful, not porny. Also, based in San Francisco.

Apr 02 13 12:42 pm Link

Model

Nicolette Mori

Posts: 249

Chicago, Illinois, US

Zivity and Bizarre Ultra Vixens are both great smile 

And yeah, all social media sites help a lot too wink

Apr 02 13 12:47 pm Link

Model

Feral Ferocious

Posts: 112

San Francisco, California, US

Awesome. I've heard of zivity. Nice to talk to other models, I don't know why I've never used this forum before. Any suggestions for sites along those lines to help us get ourselves out there are welcome

Apr 02 13 12:56 pm Link

Model

Miss Vixxen

Posts: 92

Torquay, England, United Kingdom

My partner doesn't like me doing lingerie let alone topless xD haha but yeah i'd like to show off my tats more but i think i'll be heading towards the more pin up type tattoo shoot's than anything else hmm More family friendly i guess

Apr 02 13 01:03 pm Link

Model

Feral Ferocious

Posts: 112

San Francisco, California, US

Pin up is alot of fun. I always have a blast doing those types of shoots

Apr 02 13 01:05 pm Link

Model

Laura BrokenDoll

Posts: 3553

Modena, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

If you're heavily tattooed you can always give it a try with tattoo magazines! They usually avoid nudity!

Apr 04 13 01:48 pm Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Posts: 2444

Portland, Oregon, US

Miss Vixxen wrote:
My partner doesn't like me doing lingerie let alone topless xD haha but yeah i'd like to show off my tats more but i think i'll be heading towards the more pin up type tattoo shoot's than anything else hmm More family friendly i guess

That's the problem with alt models now.  They aren't alt anymore, just sheep following the tattoo heard. Growing up in functional families and acting out trying to find an identity in the world. True alt models don't take shit from anyone.

Apr 04 13 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Adams Photos

Posts: 1217

Cleveland, Ohio, US

sdgillis wrote:

Miss Vixxen wrote:
True alt models don't take shit from anyone.

BAM!

Apr 04 13 02:10 pm Link

Model

Feral Ferocious

Posts: 112

San Francisco, California, US

sdgillis wrote:

That's the problem with alt models now.  They aren't alt anymore, just sheep following the tattoo heard. Growing up in functional families and acting out trying to find an identity in the world. True alt models don't take shit from anyone.

Probably a little extreme. IF people choose to adhere to their partners comfort that's their business. Yes, it's true that we don't take shit from anyone, but I don't go out of my way looking for it either. Life's too short and I've had my fair share of it. I'm keeping my ears to the ground, and I've been doing pretty well smile

Apr 04 13 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Posts: 11892

Olivet, Michigan, US

Fera Ferocis  wrote:
I agree. Nudity doesn't bother me much at all, topless is totally fine, most of my work lately, the paid work included, has been implies at its most riske, otherwise its been underwear etc. So I'd actually like to do more nudes haha. But its a fine line

Nude is a long ways from porn, or it can be.  Here's a shot of mine from last weekend.  Plenty of tattoos, fully nude, but far from porn. (18+)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8540/8609 … d53a_o.jpg

Apr 04 13 09:17 pm Link

Model

reni rush

Posts: 289

Carbon Hill, Alabama, US

Art of the nude wrote:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8540/8609 … d53a_o.jpg

Love that photo!!

Apr 04 13 09:25 pm Link

Model

Axana

Posts: 126

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

There are lots of places where inked models can get work. Facebook and instagram are not one of them. I would love to model Ed Hardy or MMA clothing

Apr 04 13 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Posts: 3332

Germantown, Maryland, US

Lots of smaller Mag Cloud magazines and smaller Tattoo magazines out there. It won't generally pay, but the more people who see you, the better your chances of finding more photographers and places to showcase your work.

Apr 05 13 06:05 am Link

Photographer

S L Dixon

Posts: 108

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Magazines. They might not pay as much as Suicide Girls does (although I have no idea what they pay), but if you want to get your image out there, there's HEAPS of publications that will fit the bill.

Apr 05 13 06:18 am Link

Photographer

BodyartBabes

Posts: 2005

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I know people don't like to hear this, but I'll put it in this thread once.

The more ink you have, the harder it is to get work.  I've watched models end up quitting after getting a quarter sleeve because their work just dropped off.

The more your ink clashes with the clothing, the artists views, the point of the image, etc, the less work there will be.  You've made your "statement" but not everyone wants to keep repeating your statement.  Artists want to make THEIR statement, and as a model that is your role.   As an inked model, you've taken a path where images are of _YOU_ and the photographer is essentially making portraits, not "art" where you can be any woman.  Your ink brands you.  It's like taking a picture of a sign, or of someone elses picture.  It's not the photographer/artists image any more.  It's been taken over.

This is why many end up in "porn" where all they want is a body, doesn't matter what kind really. 

It's also why so many do nude, since at least there is less clash with the clothing.

If your ink goes under your clothes, not doing nudes is like the photographer cutting off legs, or hands, or such.  It makes the image incomplete, as people start to wonder what the rest of the ink looks like, not the image itself.

Just remember. ink is a choice.  But any choice limits other choices. 

But, I really haven't seen a model get MORE work because she got more ink.   And, since there are thousands and thousands (Millions??) of inked girls, finding one or two who got popular sort of proves the whole rule.   I have seen them get less work and retire dozens and dozens of times.

The successful ones have sold their personality, ability, and cooperation rather than their ink.  They've been available, and have had to go out of their way to be available when other people aren't.   

Most jobs are local, so getting in good with your local market is important.  Regular work is important.  But if you tap out the local market, or the local market isn't interested, you have a serious up hill battle.

The more you become a product, the less you become an an abstract prop. 

If you are to the celebrity point, you can make it on that.  But otherwise, there is a limit to how many times people will work with you because the images have limited appeal.  No matter what the photographer does, the ink makes it an image of YOU, not something more generic, abstract, or broad.

You made your statement.  But the artist wants to make theirs.

I hope this makes sense.

Scott

Apr 05 13 06:34 am Link

Photographer

Moonlight Studio

Posts: 41

Hot Springs, Arkansas, US

BodyartBabes wrote:
I know people don't like to hear this, but I'll put it in this thread once.

The more ink you have, the harder it is to get work.  I've watched models end up quitting after getting a quarter sleeve because their work just dropped off.

The more your ink clashes with the clothing, the artists views, the point of the image, etc, the less work there will be.  You've made your "statement" but not everyone wants to keep repeating your statement.  Artists want to make THEIR statement, and as a model that is your role.   As an inked model, you've taken a path where images are of _YOU_ and the photographer is essentially making portraits, not "art" where you can be any woman.  Your ink brands you.  It's like taking a picture of a sign, or of someone elses picture.  It's not the photographer/artists image any more.  It's been taken over.

This is why many end up in "porn" where all they want is a body, doesn't matter what kind really. 

It's also why so many do nude, since at least there is less clash with the clothing.

If your ink goes under your clothes, not doing nudes is like the photographer cutting off legs, or hands, or such.  It makes the image incomplete, as people start to wonder what the rest of the ink looks like, not the image itself.

Just remember. ink is a choice.  But any choice limits other choices. 

But, I really haven't seen a model get MORE work because she got more ink.   And, since there are thousands and thousands (Millions??) of inked girls, finding one or two who got popular sort of proves the whole rule.   I have seen them get less work and retire dozens and dozens of times.

The successful ones have sold their personality, ability, and cooperation rather than their ink.  They've been available, and have had to go out of their way to be available when other people aren't.   

Most jobs are local, so getting in good with your local market is important.  Regular work is important.  But if you tap out the local market, or the local market isn't interested, you have a serious up hill battle.

The more you become a product, the less you become an an abstract prop. 

If you are to the celebrity point, you can make it on that.  But otherwise, there is a limit to how many times people will work with you because the images have limited appeal.  No matter what the photographer does, the ink makes it an image of YOU, not something more generic, abstract, or broad.

You made your statement.  But the artist wants to make theirs.

I hope this makes sense.

Scott

Great responce. Our community here is an artisitic (or suppose to be) one, and it is loaded with tatted pin up gals.......sadly all but a few are just copy cats of each other and losses that My Own Thing intent.

If not shooting grundge or similar, really do not want to see the tats. Nothing like putting a model in a 2/300 outfit and then seeing it offset by tats! NOT!

To each their own however.

Apr 05 13 06:47 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Posts: 3332

Germantown, Maryland, US

I shoot fetish and alt fashion. I'm always on the lookout for models with great tattoos. Many of the smaller and mid range designers use tattooed models for their websites.

More Alt and Tattoo magazines every year, they are all looking for content.

Whatever a model changes will limit her ability to work some shoots and will increase her desire ability for others. I wouldn't advise a model to get tattoos to enhance her chances at booking work, but I do look for tattooed models more than for non tattooed models. Do what pleases yourself in life, room for everyone in modeling.

Apr 05 13 09:40 am Link

Model

Feral Ferocious

Posts: 112

San Francisco, California, US

BodyartBabes wrote:
I know people don't like to hear this, but I'll put it in this thread once.

The more ink you have, the harder it is to get work.  I've watched models end up quitting after getting a quarter sleeve because their work just dropped off.

The more your ink clashes with the clothing, the artists views, the point of the image, etc, the less work there will be.  You've made your "statement" but not everyone wants to keep repeating your statement.  Artists want to make THEIR statement, and as a model that is your role.   As an inked model, you've taken a path where images are of _YOU_ and the photographer is essentially making portraits, not "art" where you can be any woman.  Your ink brands you.  It's like taking a picture of a sign, or of someone elses picture.  It's not the photographer/artists image any more.  It's been taken over.

This is why many end up in "porn" where all they want is a body, doesn't matter what kind really. 

It's also why so many do nude, since at least there is less clash with the clothing.

If your ink goes under your clothes, not doing nudes is like the photographer cutting off legs, or hands, or such.  It makes the image incomplete, as people start to wonder what the rest of the ink looks like, not the image itself.

Just remember. ink is a choice.  But any choice limits other choices. 

But, I really haven't seen a model get MORE work because she got more ink.   And, since there are thousands and thousands (Millions??) of inked girls, finding one or two who got popular sort of proves the whole rule.   I have seen them get less work and retire dozens and dozens of times.

The successful ones have sold their personality, ability, and cooperation rather than their ink.  They've been available, and have had to go out of their way to be available when other people aren't.   

Most jobs are local, so getting in good with your local market is important.  Regular work is important.  But if you tap out the local market, or the local market isn't interested, you have a serious up hill battle.

The more you become a product, the less you become an an abstract prop. 

If you are to the celebrity point, you can make it on that.  But otherwise, there is a limit to how many times people will work with you because the images have limited appeal.  No matter what the photographer does, the ink makes it an image of YOU, not something more generic, abstract, or broad.

You made your statement.  But the artist wants to make theirs.

I hope this makes sense.

Scott

Many photographers are interested in me due to my tattoos, and I do just fine. They're beautiful, I feel beautiful with them, and it adds something special. Photographers love this, and the pay is good

Apr 05 13 11:20 am Link

Model

Feral Ferocious

Posts: 112

San Francisco, California, US

I think the point you made about tattooed models being able to sell their personality and talent goes all across the board. If you're good at what you do and convey passion then the work will come. Its all about being driven, and your ability to work well with others.

Apr 05 13 11:25 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Posts: 12116

Tampa, Florida, US

Fera Ferocis  wrote:
Many photographers are interested in me due to my tattoos, and I do just fine. They're beautiful, I feel beautiful with them, and it adds something special. Photographers love this, and the pay is good

Wasn't the point of your OP that you're finding so few avenues because of your tattoos and that it's limiting your work?

But as soon as someone broached the idea that tattoos could, in fact, be a limiting factor, your response was that you're in great demand and have no problems finding work.

Umm...ok.

Apr 05 13 11:32 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Posts: 10330

Santa Ana, California, US

BodyartBabes wrote:
...
The more your ink clashes with the clothing, the artists views, the point of the image, etc, the less work there will be.  You've made your "statement" but not everyone wants to keep repeating your statement.  Artists want to make THEIR statement, and as a model that is your role.   As an inked model, you've taken a path where images are of _YOU_ and the photographer is essentially making portraits, not "art" where you can be any woman.  Your ink brands you.  It's like taking a picture of a sign, or of someone elses picture.  It's not the photographer/artists image any more.  It's been taken over.
...

Scott

This is a really eloquent explanation of why photographers (those who aren't specifically after shooting tattoos) are progressively less likely to utilize a tattooed model, the more visible her tattoos are.

Apr 05 13 11:49 am Link

Model

Nicolette

Posts: 12698

Midland, Texas, US

sdgillis wrote:
That's the problem with alt models now.  They aren't alt anymore, just sheep following the tattoo heard. Growing up in functional families and acting out trying to find an identity in the world. True alt models don't take shit from anyone.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo509uaJqn1qf15wio1_500.gif


Wanna do alt work without the nudity? Cool. Stock up on BADASS alt and pinup wardrobe. Buy high end corsets. Buy custom, badass latex pieces. Buy bordellos. Buy ballet heels. Be prepared to spend a fuck TON of money.

That's how it works.

Apr 06 13 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Posts: 9227

Oakland, California, US

I just finished a gallery showing of 4 prints that showed tattooed models.

I do anywhere from 8-12 exhibits a year and sometimes images of tattoos sell.
It all depends.

You're best bet is to treat your modeling like a business and see what happens, lots of local in the Bay Area will shoot models with ink.

The better the tattoos the better the chances of publications.

Apr 06 13 07:17 pm Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Posts: 240

New York, New York, US

Red Sky Photography wrote:
Whatever a model changes will limit her ability to work some shoots and will increase her desire ability for others. I wouldn't advise a model to get tattoos to enhance her chances at booking work, but I do look for tattooed models more than for non tattooed models. Do what pleases yourself in life, room for everyone in modeling.

Well said! Thank you, thank, thank you.

Apr 07 13 08:52 pm Link

Model

Countess Grotesque

Posts: 1425

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

UltraVixens is great... you have full control over what you share smile

Apr 08 13 01:27 am Link

Model

Heather LeStabbityDeath

Posts: 22613

Des Moines, Iowa, US

If you're looking at marketing sets, like on Suicide Girls and Razordolls, be ready to be sexy or go home. They make money because they build fan bases and get money, and, as lovely and talented as I'm sure you are, unless there's a degree of sexy involved, you're unlikely to build a fanbase JUST BECAUSE you are pretty/cool. Not saying you can't, but it's unlikely if that's your only value.

Taking into your age, weight, and height, you could look into doing alternative commercial and lifestyle modeling--see catalog models and -not fashion-  ads, but instead of for JC Penny and Windows or whatever, you're looking more at tattoo supply companies and Affliction.

As with *any other* kind of modeling, market yourself well. Be available. Have an awesome wardrobe. Be flexible. Have facial expressions.  Learn some talents.

I float in and out of working as a model, but I am also a piercer, a fire dancer, a sideshow freak, I'm not afraid to be sexy, and I get naked, so I have more paying offers, because photographers have some weird options that other over 25 tattooed chicks can't offer them.

Also, I'm fucking charming. wink

Apr 08 13 02:48 pm Link