Forums > Photography Talk > Large Format Printing issues

Photographer

TrickProductions

Miami, Florida, US

Hello

I recently bought a used Epson Stylus Pro 7600. All the prints heads are fine and I am using genuine epson ink and paper.

The problem however, I can't seem to get a usable photo print from it. I have downloaded the appropriate color profiles but I don't know if maybe I am using the wrong settings, etc...

In doing different test, sometimes the images are overly tinted with magenta, or washed out.

I am printing from Photoshop CS5 from my 2010 27" iMac. I have Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper 260.

Can someone please run me through the correct procedure to get a good print?

Thank you for your time and I can give more info if you need it.

Apr 23 13 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

Is everything calibrated?

Your monitor?

Also double check your profile settings, you have to do more then just click that profile, you have to have the print settings correct as well.

Apr 23 13 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

Have you done a nozzle check?  I'll place bets you have a clogged channel.

Apr 23 13 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Make sure you have "Photoshop Manages Colors" selected. If you already do, it could be a myriad of issues.

What would be best though is getting RIP software. We use Onyx. It's not inexpensive, but it works great.

Apr 23 13 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

TrickProductions wrote:
Hello

I recently bought a used Epson Stylus Pro 7600. All the prints heads are fine and I am using genuine epson ink and paper.

The problem however, I can't seem to get a usable photo print from it. I have downloaded the appropriate color profiles but I don't know if maybe I am using the wrong settings, etc...

In doing different test, sometimes the images are overly tinted with magenta, or washed out.

I am printing from Photoshop CS5 from my 2010 27" iMac. I have Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper 260.

Can someone please run me through the correct procedure to get a good print?

Thank you for your time and I can give more info if you need it.

http://www.peachpit.com/store/real-worl … 0321267221

I highly recommend this book.  If you're going to print professionally, you need to be able to diagnose your own workflow issues. 

You'll get lots of great advise as well as lots of mediocre advise in a venue such as this.  You just won't know which is which.

Apr 23 13 01:37 pm Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

printing an RGB file on CMYK printer?

Apr 23 13 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I will also place a couple of bucks on a clogged print head.

Apr 23 13 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

sdgillis wrote:

Of course.

Apr 23 13 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

sdgillis wrote:

Unless he's using a RIP, that's the way it's most often done.

Zave Smith Photography wrote:
I will also place a couple of bucks on a clogged print head.

Or double color management, or the wrong profile for the paper being used, or a problem with his monitor profile, or a bad monitor, or incorrect viewing illumination, or something that doesn't immediately come to mind...

Apr 23 13 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

still-photography wrote:

It's done that way with a RIP as well.

Apr 23 13 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

sdgillis wrote:

still-photography wrote:

MMDesign wrote:

True, but not the point I was making.  As I'm sure you realize, I was heading off the possible suggestion that one doesn't send an RGB file to a CMYK printer.

While we're on the subject...

MMDesign wrote:
What would be best though is getting RIP software.

I have to disagree.  Our OP doesn't seem to be able to successfully use the canned Epson driver/software package.  Sending him off to buy/use a RIP could be disastrous.  Would you like to explain to him things like linearization, ink-limiting, input-output-simulation profiles, black generation or anything on those lines?

Apr 23 13 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

still-photography wrote:

sdgillis wrote:

still-photography wrote:

MMDesign wrote:

True, but not the point I was making.  As I'm sure you realize, I was heading off the possible suggestion that one doesn't send an RGB file to a CMYK printer.

While we're on the subject...

I have to disagree.  Our OP doesn't seem to be able to successfully use the canned Epson driver/software package.  Sending him off to buy/use a RIP could be disastrous.  Would you like to explain to him things like linearization, ink-limiting, input-output-simulation profiles, black generation or anything on those lines?

It's no where near as daunting as you make it sound. Once you get it set up, and if you buy it from the right place, they'll install and set it up for you, it's pretty simple.

Apr 23 13 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

TrickProductions

Miami, Florida, US

Thank you to everyone who has responded. Let me give a little more info on the situation. I will try and be as thorough as possible.

- I have a 2010 27" iMac. It has been calibrated, but not with any optical device such as X-Rite, etc...

I don't believe this is the problem, if it were a monitor calibration issue I would be getting sleight color differences. I am getting extreme color shifts and images that are completely unusable.

- The printer is an Epson Stylus Pro 7600 with Ultrachrome Inks

I have checked all the heads and nozzles, there are no clogs. The nozzle checks, and test prints are all fine.

- I have downloaded the Epson icc color profiles created by Bill Atkinson (I have the profiles for all paper types

- I am currently using a 24" roll of Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper (260)

When I print from Photoshop I use the following settings

https://trickproductions.com/images/print01.jpg
https://trickproductions.com/images/print02.jpg

Let me know if I missed anything. I will continue to try and troubleshoot and update as I go. Thank you again for taking the time to give your input.

Apr 24 13 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Form and Pressure

Auburn, Maine, US

If you have light room you could test from there to see if you were having the same problem. I use an epson 7800 which is very similar to the 7600. I have had problems printing from CS4 so I use CS2 for printing. Lightroom gets close. You could always try a different profile to see if the one you are using is corrupted. I get my profiles from the manufacturer of the paper.

Apr 24 13 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

365 Digitals Exposed

Perris, California, US

TrickProductions wrote:
Thank you to everyone who has responded. Let me give a little more info on the situation. I will try and be as thorough as possible.

- I have a 2010 27" iMac. It has been calibrated, but not with any optical device such as X-Rite, etc...

I don't believe this is the problem, if it were a monitor calibration issue I would be getting sleight color differences. I am getting extreme color shifts and images that are completely unusable.

- The printer is an Epson Stylus Pro 7600 with Ultrachrome Inks

I have checked all the heads and nozzles, there are no clogs. The nozzle checks, and test prints are all fine.

- I have downloaded the Epson icc color profiles created by Bill Atkinson (I have the profiles for all paper types

- I am currently using a 24" roll of Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper (260)

When I print from Photoshop I use the following settings

https://trickproductions.com/images/print01.jpg
https://trickproductions.com/images/print02.jpg

Let me know if I missed anything. I will continue to try and troubleshoot and update as I go. Thank you again for taking the time to give your input.

you have  to uncheck  match print color, then  go to printer setting and in color settings you have to check (off no color adjustment,)  if perceptual is not  working  try  relative colorimetric  this is how I get super close to my printing using  epson and  premiun luster paper.

Apr 24 13 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

TrickProductions

Miami, Florida, US

365 Digitals Exposed wrote:

you have  to uncheck  match print color, then  go to printer setting and in color settings you have to check (off no color adjustment,)  if perceptual is not  working  try  relative colorimetric  this is how I get super close to my printing using  epson and  premiun luster paper.

Thanks! I'll try that and see if it works. I appreciate the help.

Apr 24 13 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

365 Digitals Exposed

Perris, California, US

TrickProductions wrote:

Thanks! I'll try that and see if it works. I appreciate the help.

forgot  to mention I always buy the 4x5 luster paper to print in small first and than I do the big print . good luck check this out.
http://www.gballard.net/photoshop/epson/cs5/

Apr 24 13 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

-Koa-

Castaner, Puerto Rico, US

Qimage is your friend.

I've been using it for over 10 years. I do not print anything without it.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

-Koa-
www.borikenwarrior.com
www.facebook.com/borikenwarriorstudiosmodels

Apr 24 13 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

TrickProductions

Miami, Florida, US

forgot  to mention I always buy the 4x5 luster paper to print in small first and than I do the big print . good luck check this out.

That link is a great reference. And I like the idea of printing a smaller test first. I will test everything out first thing tomorrow.

Apr 24 13 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

TrickProductions

Miami, Florida, US

I am happy to report that after reading through all the responses as well as reading some information from links posted, I was able to get great prints.

My new workflow goes as follows.

Prepare image in photoshop

Convert the image to the appropriate color profile

Then in the print dialog box assign photoshop to manage colors, set the appropriate paper profile, set to perceptual, then go to the actual printer options.

From there I make sure "no color management" is selected. I select the matching paper type and set it to print at the highest resolution.

Once I did all of that, I get a great print with accurate colors.

I do have one more question for my Epson users out there. Right now it takes almost 2 hours to print a 24"x36" print. But there is a checkbox for "high speed". How much time difference does that make and does the quality of the print suffer at all?

Thanks for anyone who has and will contribute to the conversation.

Apr 25 13 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

Yes this, I buy 100 sheet boxes of 4*5 for test prints.
Although that might not work as well if you have roll paper set up?
I use the epson 3880

Apr 25 13 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

IEPhotos

Riverside, California, US

Very minimal difference with high speed vs best quality. You will also save a little ink by going high speed. You can also save significant time by selecting a lower resolution than the max of the printer. Generally 300dpi is likely good enough and much faster again while using less ink.

Apr 25 13 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

7600 doesn't have tray feed.  8x10 is the smallest sheet, or ten inch roll.

High speed off can make a difference in quality control, depending on the media being used.  Printing is not always a "turn-key" operation and getting the best quality or "image making" means being open to trying different options and tweaking profiles, e.g., adjusting ink density and head pass drying times.

Apr 25 13 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Not sure if it's different on the larger format printers but on my desktop Epson, high-speed meant that it printed going in both directions, and the quality was the same.

Apr 25 13 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Form and Pressure

Auburn, Maine, US

TrickProductions wrote:
I do have one more question for my Epson users out there. Right now it takes almost 2 hours to print a 24"x36" print. But there is a checkbox for "high speed". How much time difference does that make and does the quality of the print suffer at all?

Thanks for anyone who has and will contribute to the conversation.

I print with an epson 7800 and rarely go over 300 dpi. Depending on the subject, I have printed as low as 270dpi for a 16X20 that was in a museum show...the resolution was fine. Usually the larger an image is, people tend to stand back away from it. You are using a lot of ink the way you are going.

Apr 25 13 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

I'm in the market for a new printer.  I currently have an Epson R2400 that I use for knock around stuff and the rest of the time I have Duggal make prints for me.  I was going to get the 3880 as a replacement, but every time I go down this road, I think about getting a BIG printer.  Honestly though, I don't know if I can justify the cost. 

How much of a headache are they to maintain?

Apr 25 13 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:
I'm in the market for a new printer.  I currently have an Epson R2400 that I use for knock around stuff and the rest of the time I have Duggal make prints for me.  I was going to get the 3880 as a replacement, but every time I go down this road, I think about getting a BIG printer.  Honestly though, I don't know if I can justify the cost. 

I know several people who own them.
They can be a bitch to keep up.
If anything goes wrong they send people in to fix them.

Most professional printers I know...
Have more than one.
wink

Apr 25 13 06:46 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:

I have a 3880 and it is a very nice printer.  Minimal maintenance is change out the maintenance tank (or pad) once it gets full.  Never has clogged - yet.

I generally print 17x25 inch or 17x25.5 inch prints out of it.  I order 17x25 inch paper out of Red River or Inkpress "special cuts" that they provide.  Or just load 17" wide paper in a 100' rolls and cut it to length.  I'm not fond of the normal 17x22 inch size as it is cropped and not the ideal 2:3 ratio FX sensor size. The 17x22 inch looks more like an older 8x10 inch format which is a bit "squarish."  The 17x25.5 inch is really a nice rectangular look like what your viewfinder sees.  The 3880 prints about a 5mm white border on the big sizes though and you'll have to watch how you feed it so it won't track crooked and the border will follow.

Framed, with non-reflective Tru-View museum glass, they are maybe 28x36 inches so they are quite large.  I put one of those brass picture frame lights on the tops of them with a couple of daylight T-6 lamps in them so the color is accurate.  I added a dimmer control too so they can serve as night lights or if I want or mood lights.  Costs me about $600 to have them framed too.

Next step would be maybe a 24" wide printer, but I could outsource those as a 24" printer is very heavy and takes the room of a washing machine (or two) and weighs about as much.  Framed 24" wide prints would be huge and more costly to frame in that size too.  You need to print quite a bit to keep the ink flowing in them too.  Even local shop has theirs dry out a few nozzles over a weekend since they shut off the A/C and it gets hot in the shop so Monday they run a nozzle clean cycle which eats pricey ink too.  I keep a plastic cover over mine to keep the ink from drying out, but so far it hasn't given me a bad nozzle check.

Fwiw, I also use a ColorMunki Photo to set up the monitor, and printer/paper ICM profiles.  Fun little unit to use too.  I also use Jon Cone's inks and refillable carts in it to cut down the insane Epson ink price.

Cone also makes a Piezo-inkset for the 3880 if you want a full tonal range B&W as it is all B&W inks and no color carts at all.  I'd like to go with 'dye ink' on a 3880 as metallic prints look much better with dye as that 'transparent' ink allows the reflective surface of the paper to shine through rather than cover it with pigment.  Another day for that.

Have fun!

Apr 25 13 07:17 pm Link