Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > 50 in a 30? That's not speeding!

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

50 mph is what people DO in a 30 mph speed zone.  Now, 70 or 80 in a 30, that's speeding.

OK, OK, 50 is too fast in a 30.  But Hell, 30's kinda a slow, wouldn't you say?

May 07 13 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

tonyfromsyracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

if you ever get pulled over by the police for speeding.....tell him that you werent wearing your seatbelt...for this to work you have to be wearing your seat belt though. it lets the officer know what you are hoping for.
in NY state at least a no seatbelt ticket is a no points violation..so while the cop gets to write a ticket and keep his quota you dont get any points on your license and a ticket thats cheaper.of course this counts on the cop isnt a dickhead.

May 07 13 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

tonyfromsyracuse wrote:
if you ever get pulled over by the police for speeding.....tell him that you werent wearing your seatbelt...for this to work you have to be wearing your seat belt though. it lets the officer know what you are hoping for.
in NY state at least a no seatbelt ticket is a no points violation..so while the cop gets to write a ticket and keep his quota you dont get any points on your license and a ticket thats cheaper.of course this counts on the cop isnt a dickhead.

As a police officer I have never heard of this.

Do something on the road you get a ticket for it.
Make a mistake on the road you get a ticket to remind yourself not to do it again.

Some cops are dicks, some cops aren't. Just because you don't get out of a speeding ticket does not mean the cop is a dickhead.

May 07 13 06:42 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Speed limits exist for a reason. If you are speeding more than 10 mph over, and receive a ticket, imo you were kind of asking for it.

*shrug*

My mom got a ticket for going 7 over, which I found to be a stretch, but technically she was still speeding, so...

May 07 13 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

tonyfromsyracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

FootNote Fotography wrote:

Make a mistake on the road you get a ticket to remind yourself not to do it again.

Some cops are dicks, some cops aren't. Just because you don't get out of a speeding ticket does not mean the cop is a dickhead.

welp,thats interesting cause I got this from...one of your state police brothers in blue.if you are a cop you know cops have lots of leeway. you dont always get the ticket.

I was pulled over for speeding,and I told him basically a true sob story that I was really struggling right now financially...and he said...so...your not wearing your seat belt.

thats odd I thought...why is he telling me I'm not wearing my seat belt.I clearly had it on.....I said...uh...and he said again...so your not wearing your seatbelt. DING.(lightbulb)

I said yes officer I'm not wearing my seatbelt.I got a seatbelt ticket.
so thats what happend. mybe he was being audio recorded, not sure if they have that outside the police car or if its also on the officer, you will have to tell me that.if he is being audio recorded. eitherway, it told me something. that he was acting. there had to be a reason for it. so, take the seatbelt shot is my advice.

May 07 13 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

tonyfromsyracuse wrote:

welp,thats interesting cause I got this from...one of your state police brothers in blue.if you are a cop you know cops have lots of leeway. you dont always get the ticket.

I was pulled over for speeding,and I told him basically a true sob story that I was really struggling right now financially...and he said...so...your not wearing your seat belt.

thats odd I thought...why is he telling me I'm not wearing my seat belt.I clearly had it on.....I said...uh...and he said again...so your not wearing your seatbelt. DING.(lightbulb)

I said yes officer I'm not wearing my seatbelt.I got a seatbelt ticket.
so thats what happend. mybe he was being audio recorded, not sure if they have that outside the police car or if its also on the officer, you will have to tell me that.if he is being audio recorded. eitherway, it told me something. that he was acting. there had to be a reason for it. so, take the seatbelt shot is my advice.

Of course cops will give you a brake if they can/want to. If falls into officer discretion. Police officers are there to keep the peace and ensure the safety of the general public. If they think giving a ticket will do more harm than good then its up to them if they want to give a ticket.

Main point I was making before is saying you aren't wearing your seatbelt is not a get out of jail free card. I am not Highway patrol so I am sure more of them know about the the seatbelt thing in order to keep their quota up.

May 07 13 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Nope - information fail - you don't have to be over the posted limit to be "Speeding".

58 in a 60 is also speeding - or, something.

53 in a 55 is also speeding - or, something

All you have to do is drive an out of state car, in certain locations - and you will be stopped - eventually.

"Sir, the reason you were stopped  - was that you were driving in a suspicious and overly legal manner.  You were under the limit and not weaving - and no matter how close I was up your ass with the bumper of my cruiser - you never made any furtive movements.  This clearly means you have something to hide"

Springfield Mo. - interstate 44

Rolla Mo - Interstate 44

The first 10 miles of illinois on I-70

Alma Arkansas - I-40

May 07 13 08:36 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

So the dude pulling me over last week just wanted to flirt?

Cause he didn't introduce himself with "Officer such-and-such", he introduced himself with his first and last name (unless that's customary in Teeexas-yeeeee haaawww).
And he didn't run my plates.

Nothing.

Just said something like "Ma'am, we're trying to keep it around sixty around here y'all meow." Or some such Texas drawl.
'twas quite charming, really.

And no ticket.

Biatches.

Unless it was the fact that I just got out of a ...let's say I smelled like a puma cage, wasn't wearing a bra and I was smiling like a freshly laquered rocking horse.

May 07 13 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Eurocat wrote:

Cause he didn't introduce himself with "Officer such-and-such", he introduced himself with his first and last name (unless that's customary in Teeexas-yeeeee haaawww).

Nothing.

Just said something like "Ma'am, we're trying to keep it around sixty around here y'all meow." Or some such Texas drawl.

And no ticket.

Biatches.

Unless it was the fact that I just got out of a ...let's say I smelled like a puma cage, wasn't wearing a bra and I was smiling like a freshly laquered rocking horse.

You made me read ALL that when the only important part was in the final sentence or two...

facepalm

Just start with the bottom bolded, then read the upper bolded.

Whole thing in seven words tongue

(See friends, I'm trying to become more verbose)

May 07 13 09:40 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

DougBPhoto wrote:
You made me read ALL that

I know how you enjoy my writings.

May 07 13 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Eurocat wrote:

I know how you enjoy my writings.

Well, you do give good letters and punctuation in deliberate sequences. smile

May 07 13 10:00 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

DougBPhoto wrote:
Well, you do give good letters and punctuation in deliberate sequences. smile

I..

..have no words.

May 07 13 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Eurocat wrote:

Nothing.

And no ticket.

Biatches.

Maybe!   lol

May 07 13 11:22 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Oh but wait, did I also mention i have a CA drivers license and a/an (this is the only time I'm unsure of the a/an rule) European accent?

May 07 13 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

Eurocat wrote:
Oh but wait, did I also mention i have a CA drivers license and a/an (this is the only time I'm unsure of the a/an rule) European accent?

canadian license?  do they even have cars up there?

May 07 13 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Eurocat wrote:

I believe it is an if it precedes a vowel

May 07 13 11:42 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Yes to the vowel thing and CA is California.

OOps you knew that.

i has a stoopid. Bedtime.

May 07 13 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm sorry officer, I got my kph and mph confused

May 07 13 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

John Edward

Dallas, Texas, US

It's obviously Illegal, or suspicious in Ohio. to drive a car with Texas plates.

I'm trying to leave the wretched place, I get pulled over as a blizzard is coming on, and waste a half hour, talking to a boy scout with a gun, and a badge.

"No, you can't search my car, why would you want to?" Sir, sometimes people from Texas bring drugs up here.' "I'm leaving the state, I'm going home to Texas, this car sucks in the snow, and there's a blizzard comming on."

Sir....

"God Dammitt, I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps, to live in a Free country, and You are gonna get me stuck In the Snow, Quit the BullShit."

Prettiest thing I've ever seen in my life is the: Welcome to Texas, Signs, where I didn't have to put up with that goodie two shoer Bull.

Ohio, kick it out, and bring in puerto rico, we won't have to change the flag, and the US will be better place.

Oh, and if you're gonna pull over a car with Texas plates, to check for drug running? The southbound ones? You won't do so well. Idiots.

May 11 13 01:20 am Link

Photographer

tonyfromsyracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I dont know if it was dateline or 60 minutes but they tricked out a car and had it all video camerad up all thru out the car and on the outside. and they had it have NY plates,and they sent some guy to drive it in texas being extremly careful of road laws,speed limits,staying within the lanes etc as there had been reports that lots of cars from NY were being unfairly pulled over. and the results were pretty clear the police were stopping cars for what they say was swirving driving but video tape showed nothing of the kind happened.

May 11 13 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Speeding?
I thought those signs were suggested minimums.
Hell the police do 40 in 25 zones.

May 11 13 06:26 pm Link

Model

Koryn

I used to get pulled over a lot for no reason, and was asked once in 2009 if my car could be searched. When I was nonchalant about it, and just said, "Sure, go ahead," the officer poked around in my belongings in the backseat for a half-second and was like, "Okay you can go."

It was a pretty half-hearted "search." If I'd gotten defensive, he would have probably been a dick, and called in drug dogs or whatever.

I've only ever received one ticket in my life, and that was because my inspection sticker was 5 days expired, and I'd forgotten about it. Valid reason.

I got pulled over in 2002 on Christmas Eve for "swerving," and had to get out of the car and do the drunk test thing, when I most certainly had not been drinking. None. Zero. I was 19, very scared and humiliated. The cop called for THREE cars worth of backup, and had his gun out of his holster when he approached my car. I did an excellent job of standing on one foot while touching my nose though.

I don't exactly look threatening - and hopefully not threatening at all to a 6 feet tall, 200 pound cop. He wrote me a warning, sent the other cops away and told me to drive better. I don't think I was driving badly; I just think they were really bored.

I just got pulled over ALL THE TIME for "headlights being out" when they weren't, and silliness like that -- but no tickets were ever written. It was just an excuse to pull over someone who looked really young, often driving after dark, and who owned a crappy looking car.

May 12 13 07:47 am Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

DougBPhoto wrote:
I'm sorry officer, I got my kph and mph confused

People tried on Ontario's and Quebec's highways and it does not work wink

May 12 13 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

I was doing around 90 on the Northway in NY, coming south from Canada, when a cop pulled me over.  The limit was 65, as I recall.  I was scared and the adrenalin was running high.  The cop, as it turned out, put me at ease.  He told me he clocked me at 73, and he wrote me a ticket for that.  Then he urged me to drive more carefully and sent me on my way.  73!  That made me feel like I got away with something.  Sapped me of the will to argue.  Smart cop.

May 12 13 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

If you are driving anywhere here in central Florida, between Daytona Beach and Tampa, I suggest that you drive at least ten miles per hour over the posted speed limit and stay to the right. If you don't stay to the right at that speed, someone who is in a much bigger hurry than you are will be so close to your back bumper all you will be able to see is their eyes bulging from the sockets.

The posted speed limit here in central Florida, whether you are in a residential area or on the interstate, is really just a suggestion not a law apparently.

If you do happen to see a police car or a highway patrol car on the same road as you are, the officer will be way over the posted speed limit with no lights on or siren blaring.

Happy motoring.

...end rant...

May 13 13 07:30 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Buffalo, New York, US

FootNote Fotography wrote:

As a police office, I'm sure you've had to hang up your cell phone as you are speeding down the highway without your seatbelt on, so you can write a ticket to someone. If you haven't, then you've never worked in NY.

May 14 13 07:17 am Link

Model

Koryn

Frank Lewis Photography wrote:
If you are driving anywhere here in central Florida, between Daytona Beach and Tampa, I suggest that you drive at least ten miles per hour over the posted speed limit and stay to the right. If you don't stay to the right at that speed, someone who is in a much bigger hurry than you are will be so close to your back bumper all you will be able to see is their eyes bulging from the sockets.

When people do that to me, I drive even slower.

I don't speed, and risk a citation, for any asshole.

That's what the passing lane is for.

The last time someone did that to me, I was driving 40 in a 35, and it was no-passing zone. He was in a large truck behind me, riding my ass, honking the horn and yelling obscenities out the window. They were swerving back and forth, trying to go around, but it was a narrow road, and not safe to pass. Also, not safe to be going over the speed limit. We finally got to an area where he could pass, zoomed by yelling that I was a "stupid fucking cunt," only to immediately have a cop zip out of an alleyway, pull in behind him and nab his hateful ass.

Just like he deserved. It was so incredibly gratifying. I made sure to give a big Thumbs Up Sign out the window as I drove by him, nice and slow and relaxed.

My opinion is, if someone wants to harass me to go faster, and act like a dick about it, they can, because they're the one who is going to get stuck with a $200 speeding fine. I'm not. I have a clean-as-a-whistle driving record to prove that.

May 14 13 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Koryn Locke wrote:

When people do that to me, I drive even slower.

I don't speed, and risk a citation, for any asshole.

That's what the passing lane is for.

The last time someone did that to me, I was driving 40 in a 35, and it was no-passing zone. He was in a large truck behind me, riding my ass, honking the horn and yelling obscenities out the window. They were swerving back and forth, trying to go around, but it was a narrow road, and not safe to pass. Also, not safe to be going over the speed limit. We finally got to an area where he could pass, zoomed by yelling that I was a "stupid fucking cunt," only to immediately have a cop zip out of an alleyway, pull in behind him and nab his hateful ass.

Just like he deserved. It was so incredibly gratifying. I made sure to give a big Thumbs Up Sign out the window as I drove by him, nice and slow and relaxed.

My opinion is, if someone wants to harass me to go faster, and act like a dick about it, they can, because they're the one who is going to get stuck with a $200 speeding fine. I'm not. I have a clean-as-a-whistle driving record to prove that.

Nice story.  Unfortunately, the assholes usually get away unpunished.  But it's nice to read a story of one who got his just reward.  smile

May 14 13 01:25 pm Link

Artist/Painter

DGCasey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Koryn Locke wrote:
Speed limits exist for a reason. If you are speeding more than 10 mph over, and receive a ticket, imo you were kind of asking for it.

As David Letterman said once, "speeding tickets are the admission to the fast lane."

And he should know.  "Hell, I don't change a flat tire at 55 miles per hour!"

May 14 13 01:49 pm Link

Artist/Painter

DGCasey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Koryn Locke wrote:
It was just an excuse to pull over someone who looked really young, often driving after dark, and who owned a crappy looking car.

Well, if you drive around looking like this I want you pulled over every day.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121113/17/50a2f5822b423.jpg

smile

May 14 13 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

A_Nova_Photography

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, US

Doing 30 in a 30 under certain conditions is speeding.... True story and won in court!

May 17 13 06:12 am Link