Forums > Newbie Forum > mini models!

Model

model unknown

Roanoke, Virginia, US

i stand at a whopping 5'3" & unfortunately, had to turn victoria's secret down. haha wink just curious to know if there are any short models out there who are signed with a legit agency? when i say legit, i mean you actually get paid for your work & not the other way around. i know how highly competitive, harsh, & deceptive this industry can be; especially for those of us under 5'6". any advice will be much appreciated! best of luck to all xx

Jun 19 13 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I've got nothing for you...but you are good looking. big_smile

Jun 19 13 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Infidel

Hattiesburg, Mississippi, US

I know a couple of "smaller" models who are making a pretty good full time living modeling, and they don't have agencies.  Making yourself available for more genres of work, working and acting like modeling is a job instead of a hobby, and keeping a professional approach to your work can't guarantee success, but it can go a long way towards that goal.

Finding a new and individual definition of "success" is the primary way to "make it," and if that definition is "canning the 9-5" by doing something you enjoy, then you have a good chance of doing just that, so long as you keep in mind that nobody ever succeeds because of "luck" alone.

So that said, best of luck to you. smile

Jun 19 13 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

Yeah I think anyone under 5' 9" will have a difficult time signing with an agency. Unless you're looking for print work. That you can do at any height

My question to you is if you know what you're up against in the industry, what's your drive to be a llama? You're almost 30 now so you're getting a pretty late start.

Jun 19 13 03:54 pm Link

Model

model unknown

Roanoke, Virginia, US

a late start for someone looking to be a high fashion runway model, most definitely! my goal, as stated in my profile, is to simply make money doing something i enjoy. one can spend a lot of money & time building an impressive portfolio, but if it doesn't generate some level of income, it's kind of pointless. thanks for the great advice, leland! & christopher, stop flirting tongue

Jun 19 13 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

model unknown  wrote:
My goal, as stated on my portfolio, is to simply make money doing something i enjoy.

If, as stated in your profile information, you do indeed shoot nudes, then get some in your portfolio ASAP!

But don't expect to get paid for your first nude shoot - find somebody good at shooting the type of nudes you like and beg them for a TF shoot to get you started.

Putting up crappy nudes shot by GWCs who are paying you only to get naked will simply result in more offers of the same. Much better to start out as you intend to go on by establishing a decent basic standard from the outset.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jun 19 13 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

model unknown  wrote:
a late start for someone looking to be a high fashion runway model, most definitely! my goal, as stated in my profile, is to simply make money doing something i enjoy. one can spend a lot of money & time building an impressive portfolio, but if it doesn't generate some level of income, it's kind of pointless. thanks for the great advice, leland! & christopher, stop flirting tongue

Understood but in order to make money you need to be able to offer a product that's special. Something no one else has or do something better than anyone else. There are a zillion girls out there trying to be models and right now nobody in this industry cares about the girl from Roanoke Virginia  I know this sounds harsh and depressing but unless you have a solid book to show otherwise, that's all you'll ever be in the modeling world

I'm not a model but I'm pretty sure that most spend years and a ton of money working for free before they ever make a dime, unless, they're super special at what they do, or have such a unique look that everyone wants them.

I don't think this is a "spend $200 on a port and start getting paid work" industry You have to prove over and over again that you can deliver. That in and of itself takes time and money

Your attitude is a good one but I'm not sure this is the correct industry to have it in.

Jun 19 13 06:13 pm Link

Model

model unknown

Roanoke, Virginia, US

OUCH! you're like the simon cowell of MM hmm seriously, i agree with your analysis of the industry & appreciate your input.

Jun 19 13 07:16 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

I'm a small model and I'm just now starting to book paid gigs, years into the game. I put in my time and effort and worked my way up slowly but surely. No agencies for me, but I'm not looking to do print work all that much unless it falls into my lap and comes with a check. If you want fast cash maybe you should look at a different venue. I'm not trying to be harsh but based on the few selfies you have in your port I wouldn't hire you. This is a growing problem on mm...people with little to no experience expecting paid work right at the get go. Also, as a small model, because you lack so much in height you have to make up for it in other ways. Think about what makes you unique and flaunt that to your advantage. Work for it, and it will come if you're talented.

Jun 19 13 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

If you build it they will come. Work on that portfolio.

It takes time, no fast cash here unless you want to do raunchy nudes...

Best of luck!

Jun 19 13 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

model unknown  wrote:
OUCH! you're like the simon cowell of MM hmm seriously, i agree with your analysis of the industry & appreciate your input.

LOL unfortunately it's true. I just watched a show, maybe So you think you can dance" and they said the same thing that I've been saying for years. We're all telling our children how special they are but the reality of it is, in the real world, nobody cares who you are or what you do until you prove it 10 times over. Nobody is special.

So I guess I'm saying the only way to even try is to ramp up your port and yes, that costs money, takes time and a lot of effort. However the ultimate results may not be what you're driving for. All I'm saying is think realistically, you're not the only one trying to be a model.

Jun 19 13 08:02 pm Link

Model

Miroslava Svoboda

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm just here to tell OP that she's gorgeous and the cutest little thing I've seen in a while. smile as far as the subject yourvplace of living might be more hindrance than the height

Jun 19 13 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm a little late to the party but I'm going to disagree with with most of the posters.   A smart and attractive model willing to do nudes can make money from sites like MM in less then a year.   Models aren't like fine wine that gets better with age.   Models who do nudes don't have to spend any money either.   The key is get on yo' hustle.   Reach out to local shooters and ask about TF.   Find a MUA who will do do TF also and get shooting.

You can have a decent book in three months.   No names but several of our better known glam nude models were booking paid work within weeks of being on MM.   Models are largely paid on their overall look from sites like MM.   You don't have too do explicit nudes.   You do have to follow up with every serious lead.   You do need to show that you are reliable and easy to work with.   Being fun and easy going will get you rebooked.   Don't start that industry standard rate bs either.   Starbucks and McDonalds pay under $12.00 per hour.   Could you be happy making $25.00 a hour or so consistently. 

There is a lot of paid work available for models who hustle and understand the value of networking.

Jun 19 13 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I'm a little late to the party but I'm going to disagree with with most of the posters.   A smart and attractive model willing to do nudes can make money from sites like MM in less then a year.   Models aren't like fine wine that gets better with age.   Models who do nudes don't have to spend any money either.   The key is get on yo' hustle.   Reach out to local shooters and ask about TF.   Find a MUA who will do do TF also and get shooting.

You can have a decent book in three months.   No names but several of our better known glam nude models were booking paid work within weeks of being on MM.   Models are largely paid on their overall look from sites like MM.   You don't have too do explicit nudes.   You do have to follow up with every serious lead.   You do need to show that you are reliable and easy to work with.   Being fun and easy going will get you rebooked.   Don't start that industry standard rate bs either.   Starbucks and McDonalds pay under $12.00 per hour.   Could you be happy making $25.00 a hour or so consistently. 

There is a lot of paid work available for models who hustle and understand the value of networking.

I don't doubt that she can make money, what many of us are saying is to build a strong port. This way you don't have to work with gwc's for $25 an hour when you can make $100hr. If you invest in that port then you can turn down those cheesy nude offers and work with more reputable photographers. The way her port is now I would TF with her but not pay and I am not a professional. Many of us can TF nude shoots, so shooting nude isn't in itself a fool proof money maker.

Jun 19 13 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Marin Photography wrote:

I don't doubt that she can make money, what many of us are saying is to build a strong port. This way you don't have to work with gwc's for $25 an hour when you can make $100hr. If you invest in that port then you can turn down those cheesy nude offers and work with more reputable photographers. The way her port is now I would TF with her but not pay and I am not a professional. Many of us can TF nude shoots, so shooting nude isn't in itself a fool proof money maker.

Better shooters tend to not pay at all.   Its the so called GWC who pay and its a bit of a myth that most of these models make $100.00 per hour.   It doesn't take long to build a decent book.   The key  is to not wait for offers but approach photographers who have work you like.  New members only have 15 image slots.   A attractive model like the OP can hook work up.   I'm not saying she can make enough to live on.   Location is critical to that and several other things are also factors but a model who does art nudes can easily make $25.00 to $50.00 per hour on a consistent basis.   As for cheesy nudes a bunch of the paid only models have those out there.   

Its their profile with images they want to display that they promote.

Jun 19 13 08:51 pm Link

Jun 19 13 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

model unknown  wrote:

Now that you have your real age...

If you want to make money and because of your height, you'll likely need to find hobbiest and art photographers.

That will likely ask you to wear very sexy clothing or be nude.

Since you have indicated in your profile that you're willing to do nudes, this shouldn't be an issue.  I'd recommend finding/hiring a good photographer to get you some really good photos so that you can show other photographers "this is what I am willing and capable of doing" and go from there.

Good luck!!  You come out to CA and I'll take you to the beach.  But I'm not paying, FYI.

Jun 20 13 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

model unknown  wrote:

I disagree with the analysis.  The market will determine if you get paid and how much.  Experience can play a role but that depends on what you do with the experience.  Some people, no matter how much experience they have, may not be as desirable than someone brand new on the scene.  And sometimes there are advantages to being brand new.  You're FRESH.  People like to be FIRST.

Ultimately, do what you're comfortable with.  You don't have to work for trade to get started.  It kind of depends.  if a photographer approaches you and you see little value in their work to promote yourself, but would be willing to work with them for $$, then offer a rate and see if they'll pay it.  It's all about negotiation.  You see a photographer you DO want to work with and see value in the work.  Find out what they charge or if they are willing to do trade.

Jun 20 13 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

figurativearts

Cottonwood, Arizona, US

Never say never.

Maybe 5'5" was too short to get signed by an agency, but played in the NBA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Boykins

Jun 20 13 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

EdwardKristopher

Tempe, Arizona, US

Welcome to MM!

I wish you the Best of Success in all of your future endeavors out here!

Kindest regards,
Edward

Jun 22 13 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Some good advice here but I'd add that:

Roanoke is not exactly a hotbed of opportunity for models, nude or not, tall or not, so it would seem to me to be wise to do some TF to get some pictures in your portfolio that reflect your interests, especially Art, Bodypaint, Lingerie and Pinup.   Contrary to what the folks that don't shoot nudes think, for most nude photographers experience shooting nudes is important.  Very few of us want to waste time with people who can't work the camera.

You might want to trim down the number of interests that aren't likely to bring you income such as fashion, etc. or (and better yet) create a separate MM account for your nude work.  I was born in Wytheville and remember the area as being less than free-thinking so the fact that you shoot nudes might lock you out of local advertising and promotional  opportunities.  This way you can work both  sides of the street.

Whatever your interest and goals, however, give yourself at least a year to build a portfolio and to learn the ropes before expecting to be able to earn a living wage from modeling.  Experience and skill are important elements in modeling and TF is the cheapest and best way to develop those attributes.  If it were me just starting out, I wouldn't rush to pay photographers for portfolio development.  Better to save your pennies until you have a better idea of what you need.  In the interim, book whatever paid work you can to get a feel for the sort of paid opportunities there are that may be available to you.  The models here who earn a living generally move to larger cities or travel or both.  These may or may not be practical choices for you.

As my dear old sainted mother used to say, "Learn to walk before you run."

All IMHO as always, of course.

Jun 24 13 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Know Idea

Los Angeles, California, US

model unknown  wrote:
but if it doesn't generate some level of income, it's kind of pointless.

Music can still be beautiful without generating a dime.

Jun 24 13 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Walter Green

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I am new to this site but have been shooting for years.  There seems to be some major misconceptions about "models".  I'm an old guy with a limp, I could model - IF I found the right niche.

Plenty of opportunity, keep your standards.

Jun 24 13 04:44 pm Link

Model

Sachea Nicole

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Girl im 5'1" and cant no one tell me im too short to do anything! Its all about your attitude and effort!   the world is slowly coming to be more acceptive of different being OK! As in im short and have tattoos and get plenty of offers to work with awesome photographers...so many years ago that would not have been the case! Good luck girlie!

Jun 27 13 07:58 am Link