Forums > Critique > Photo and retouch critique please.

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

I don't normally post retouches in the main critique but I'd like a broader opinion of the image since it's for a client and I wanna make sure there aren't any little mistakes or parts that stand out.  She seemed to be pretty pleased with the image out of camera so I'm hoping the completed version really wows her.
https://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd518/ariadnese8/retouch_zps1e390f85.jpg

Jul 14 13 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Without knowing what the images are for it's difficult to comment appropriately but...

... I love it. smile

Jul 14 13 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Surreal Focus

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Looks pretty damned good to me.  I like the added volume to the hair at at this resolution it looks believable to me.  The over the shoulder pose definitely presented some problems with neck creases and I think you managed that well without trying to get rid of everything and making it looks like a scene from the exorcist.  Hard to tell at this size but there may/may not be a small issue in texture transition at the back of the jaw line?  Great work.

Jul 14 13 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

You're hired

Jul 14 13 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Excellent!

Jul 14 13 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Timothy Bell

North Richland Hills, Texas, US

I think the top wave that you added to the hair looks a bit unnatural, otherwise I think your editing it top notch. Hopefully I'll be sending you some images to edit soon. You should teach a class on proper beauty editing.

Jul 14 13 10:27 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I agree with the extra hair, especially the fly-away bit, being unnecessary.  The fullness helps a lot though.

Might not hurt to crank up the eyes catch-light a bit more, and maybe whiten teeth and eyes a bit more too.  Maybe lighten the brown of the eye a bit too and add some detail/contrast to it.

Interesting ear work too.

Overall, looks good though.

Jul 14 13 11:02 am Link

Photographer

SKITA Studios

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Ditto didn't like the extra hair... I would have taken more off to smooth it.  Her back on the left edge could use smoothing. Nice job balancing the tan and lack of tan on her back.

Jul 14 13 11:43 am Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

I like the after shot a lot.  Very attractive eyes, lips and hair.  Skin is good.  The only thing I might do is to clone over the creases in the neck so they almost disappear entirely...and then...reduce the opacity of the layer itself so the creases do show...but at only half the darkness.  They would still be there...but draw less attention to themselves.

Jul 14 13 08:19 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Surreal Focus wrote:
Hard to tell at this size but there may/may not be a small issue in texture transition at the back of the jaw line?

I see this too. Otherwise, it's great work. I like the hair; it's believable.

Jul 15 13 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Thanks for all the feedback!  I'm glad most people though the image looked good, I sent it to the model (it was her first time shooting, we were doing tests) and I guess her jaw dropped lol.  I haven't posted the image online yet so I might tweek the hair more but honestly I have another image for her that's also a brutal hair edit so we'll see if I have it into me to do more hair after that :p

Jul 15 13 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Trill Imagery

Los Angeles, California, US

Looks good

Jul 15 13 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

I see this too. Otherwise, it's great work. I like the hair; it's believable.

I think it's because she has a small amount of peach fuzz on her face that I guess I thought looked unnatural as just smooth pores, maybe I'll pay around with that area a bit

Jul 15 13 11:35 am Link

Digital Artist

RixDigital

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

A bit late to this thread, but I have to say job very well done.  Highlights for me:

- Added hair volume (agree with others in that regard; good addition)
- Shaping rest of her hair; much nicer lines throughout.
- Addressed blemishes without destroying skin texture.
- Tones in face now match rest of her body.

Jul 15 13 11:53 am Link