Forums > Photography Talk > CS cloud $9.99/month

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

I don't know if this is a good deal or not.  I have followed threads posted here previously regarding the general dislike of the move from a one time purchase to the monthly fee for cloud version of Photoshop.  I tend to agree with the majority that don't seem to like the new pricing structure and I have followed threads regarding alternatives to Photoshop as well.

This offer expires August 31, and I assume the price would be significantly higher after the first year.  See pricing in link and scroll down a page to the $9.99/month offer:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativec … guide.html

I haven't researched the implications of this and don't yet understand how the "cloud" version of photoshop works in practice.  My biggest concern is that at the end of the one year trial price, the download is likely disabled unless you continue to pay the monthly fee which will go up significantly after the first year. 

A friend sent me the link and thinks it is a great deal, but his company pays the monthly fee for the full suite of software (not just CS) for him and his entire development staff.

Aug 22 13 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

How long until it goes up to $74.99?

And I see no $9.99, only $19.99 and up.

Aug 22 13 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

Link to terms:

https://creative.adobe.com/plans?plan=offers

If you scroll down to the second or third to last item (using the first link I posted), there is a $9.99/month one year trial price.

If you click on "terms" at the very bottom, you get to the link in this reply.

I don't know what "single app" means.  My friend that originally sent me the link, thought it was for the photoshop program like what I currently use, not the full suite of Adobe products, which I have not needed before. 

I agree with you that after the first year, the price will be whatever they want to charge.

Aug 22 13 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

I have CS6. It costs $0 per month. I think I'm happy for now. I'm okay with "renting" something I use occasionally. I like to own things I use all the time.

Aug 22 13 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

HHPhoto wrote:
I don't know what "single app" means.  My friend that originally sent me the link, thought it was for the photoshop program like what I currently use, not the full suite of Adobe products, which I have not needed before.

The problem I've had with that is I don't know if "single app" means Bridge comes with Photoshop or if I'd have to pay for Bridge separately. Bridge has become every bit as important to my workflow as Photoshop and I don't want to go back to Lightroom.

Aug 22 13 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

HHPhoto wrote:

Viator-Defessus Photos wrote:
The problem I've had with that is I don't know if "single app" means Bridge comes with Photoshop or if I'd have to pay for Bridge separately. Bridge has become every bit as important to my workflow as Photoshop and I don't want to go back to Lightroom.

I believe when you sign up for the single app, you get everything you would have gotten with the boxed version.  I could be wrong, but why not just ask?  When you go on the site it gives you the option to chat with a representative.

Aug 22 13 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Los Angeles, California, US

It's the complete application with all (and more) functioinality
than the last boxed version.

Aug 22 13 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

-JAY- wrote:

Exactly. Once they have you, they'll milk you for whatever they can. They had no reasonable technical reason to remove the owned versions - they just did it because it won't make them as much money. In order to make more money they will have to increase prices.

Don't go near it.

Aug 22 13 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

I have CS6. It costs $0 per month. I think I'm happy for now. I'm okay with "renting" something I use occasionally. I like to own things I use all the time.

You got it for free?

Aug 23 13 12:05 am Link

Model

Klarrissa

Los Angeles, California, US

I have it, I pay $19.99/month. I have no complaints.

Aug 23 13 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

Mikey McMichaels wrote:

You got it for free?

Being kinda snarky I guess. The money is paid. Going forward I don't have to pay any more to continue using it.

Aug 23 13 12:41 am Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

GPS Studio Services wrote:
I believe when you sign up for the single app, you get everything you would have gotten with the boxed version.  I could be wrong, but why not just ask?  When you go on the site it gives you the option to chat with a representative.

Yeah... but I don't want to bother them because I have no actual interest in buying Creative Cloud. I'm sticking with CS6.

Aug 23 13 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Klarrissa wrote:
I have it, I pay $19.99/month. I have no complaints.

I am curious (this is not a slap).  At what price point will you not be getting value?  Is it $24.99?  $29.99?  $39.99? $59.99? Or more?

And, if adobe decides to raise prices above that point, say, within 3 years, what is your plan?

Aug 23 13 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I wonder if we will at some point see "metered" pricing, i.e. charging per hour of program use or per file saved?

Digitoxin wrote:
And, if adobe decides to raise prices above that point, say, within 3 years, what is your plan?

Truth be told, the older versions of PS are good enough for most, and this may help them come to realize it.

Aug 23 13 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Being kinda snarky I guess. The money is paid. Going forward I don't have to pay any more to continue using it.

Just think, the longer you use it, the lower the cost per month.  smile

Aug 23 13 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Bugger the cloud!

Aug 23 13 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Engage Photography

Denver, Colorado, US

Welcome to the future folks. I've got studio fees, insurance costs, upgrading equipment every 3 years. You can close your eyes and pretend it's not 2013, but reality marches on. Add a subscription to the cost of doing business. Or don't buy it. Keep your current version, it won't matter to adobe since most professionals I know have no issue with a minimal fee and have already joined.

Aug 23 13 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

-JAY- wrote:

Yep... and you'll probably need it for alittle over 40 years... and at $20 a month for over 40 years... you're lookin at OVER $10,000!... lol

Aug 24 13 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Paul Grupp

Santa Monica, California, US

Select Models wrote:

Yep... and you'll probably need it for alittle over 40 years... and at $20 a month for over 40 years... you're lookin at OVER $10,000!... lol

LOL..LOL..LOL ...and you think it'll stay at $20.00 a month for HOW LONG?!?!?!?!? Sorry to say you've grossly underestimated the cost!

Aug 24 13 03:11 am Link

Photographer

Garrett Sanders

Bloomington, Illinois, US

My understanding is that the $9.99/month is only if you already have CS*, you have to sign a one-year contract, and after a year it goes up to $19.99/month (automatic renewal).  It's kind of like the cable/satellite deals.

This deal was originally going to expire in July.  It seems like they're not getting the response they had hoped for.

Microsoft did this subscription concept better.  Microsoft Office for $9.99 a month, no contract, you can put it on up to five computers at the same time.

Aug 24 13 03:20 am Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Just think, the longer you use it, the lower the cost per month.  smile

+1
I don't lease cars either.  If you keep trading a car in for a new car and another lease, you never stop making payments.  All three cars in my garage are free and clear.

I have CS5 and I assume that Adobe is convinced they can't improve the product enough to convince users to upgrade, thus forcing them to a Software As A Service (SAAS?) model to generate revenue.  All the more reason not to pay a monthly fee until after the software has features that warrant the SAAS pricing model.

I need to find the serial number to my CS5, I know it is around here somewhere.  I recall that I downloaded my last two updates (CS4 and CS5) from the Adobe website and don't have CDs.  For the last 6 months my CS5 has crashed when I use certain plug ins.  I have had to remember to save my work constantly to avoid loosing it before using the plug in.  I am using a MacPro with 12 Gigs of Ram and a scratch disk so I assume the software needs to be reloaded and I don't have a disk.  This is why my next stop may be something other than Photoshop.  Instead of reloading old software to fix glitch, I would have purchased the next version of Photoshop (I know I skipped CS6) and fixed it that way, but I don't want to buy into the SAAS model.

Aug 24 13 06:30 am Link

Photographer

L Cowles Photography

Sun City West, Arizona, US

One problem with the subscription to the Cloud is if you do it as a trial and after a year you want to go back to your CS6 or CS5, your images that you did in CC if flattened will be OK, but if you try to open them as layers, the new stuff in the Cloud will not work in the older programs.

Aug 24 13 06:47 am Link

Photographer

Richard Klein Photo

Buffalo Grove, Illinois, US

+1

Aug 24 13 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

eos3_300

Brooklyn, New York, US

Just got CS6 student Ed at BH today for $269
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 … 6_for.html
Will be the last $ Adobe will ever get from me
Death to the CLOUD!!!

Aug 26 13 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

eos3_300 wrote:
Just got CS6 student Ed at BH today for $269
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 … 6_for.html
Will be the last $ Adobe will ever get from me
Death to the CLOUD!!!

That's $269 more than they ever got from me... and yeah... nothing but acid rain coming out of that cloudburst... wink

Aug 27 13 04:06 am Link

Photographer

Longwatcher

Newport News, Virginia, US

As I told Adobe when they had me do a survey (although they probably didn't read the comments). Being a photographer, I am on the "when I have money" plan. I am NOT on the "I have money every month" plan.

I intensely dislike subscriptions and avoid them whenever possible and there are acceptable alternatives to Adobe and will go there when CS6 doesn't work for me anymore unless they go back to a plan that works for the "when I have money" crowd before I switch.

Several folks have mentioned Photoline as a very good alternative, its German in origin, but has decent english version. It is currently #1 on my if I need to replace PS list followed by GIMP.

Aug 27 13 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Paul Grupp

I just took a look at Photoline and all I can say is WOW!... It has several things that have been on my Photoshop wish list, such as "virtual adjustment layers" for several things that PS does destructively, directly to the BG layer (i.e. healing, content aware fill, rotation, etc), and ability to give content aware fill "clues" to help it get it right! I was impressed with just what's on the latest revision "what's new" release notes.

Aug 27 13 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Reganato

New York, New York, US

Well, there's a few ways of looking at this I suppose and it really all depends on how much work you're doing, how important having the latest updates of the software are to you, what kind of business you run etc.
You could look at it from an accounting standpoint. If you paid $20/mo for the Adobe Cloud that's a deductible cost of doing business, an ongoing expense. Every year you can claim that. You can also deduct the cost of buying say, the creative suite for whatever and deduct that one time. So for some, it might make sense to buy into Adobe's subscription service, for others, having CS* could be just fine. It really just depends how your business works.

Aug 27 13 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Closing account JP

Academician Vernadskiy - permanent station of the Ukraine, Sector claimed by Argentina/Chile/UK, Antarctica

My fear is that if Adobe succeeds with this scheme then other companies may try to copy the model. So sure I can pay $50.00 per month to rent Photoshop and Indesign  but what happens if the other programs I use regularly follow suit - now I will no longer be paying $50 per month but could potentially be paying $500+ per month which will make keeping a computer unaffordable

So I am hoping that the Adobe pricing model turns out to be a failure and that they revert back to selling software before this catches on across the industry

Aug 27 13 07:12 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Pinup Express wrote:
My fear is that if Adobe succeeds with this scheme then other companies may try to copy the model. So sure I can pay $50.00 per month to rent Photoshop and Indesign  but what happens if the other programs I use regularly follow suit - now I will no longer be paying $50 per month but could potentially be paying $500+ per month which will make keeping a computer unaffordable

So I am hoping that the Adobe pricing model turns out to be a failure and that they revert back to selling software before this catches on across the industry

My thoughts exactly.

This will probably evolve into what the cable and satellite companies do:  Just keep raising prices until you threaten to pull the plug and then they'll drop it a bit.  Maybe $100 down to $80.  If you cancel, then you might get an offer to come back for $19.95 per month in a few months.  Really is a big money grab to see what you will pay for.

I got that same impression on their questionnaire about "$9.95/mo. and Maybe too much for Lightroom?" (Which the said they'd leave off The Cloud SAS model, but who knows?).

Problem is people sign on for this new stuff and then we end up with 2-year Verizon Family plans for $650/month which is absurd and some pay more for their phone bill than house payment.  Until people stop jumping on each new "I have to have it" plan, they will continue to seek even higher rental fees for service or software.

Adobe needs to step up their game plan for new features to make people "want to buy their product" instead of removing incentives to purchase or rent it.  Wrong direction, and very overpriced for what some app people will end up doing with the cell-phone generation who may end up using some other post-processing app over anything Adobe makes or rents.

Aug 27 13 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

HHPhoto wrote:
I don't know if this is a good deal or not.  I have followed threads posted here previously regarding the general dislike of the move from a one time purchase to the monthly fee for cloud version of Photoshop.  I tend to agree with the majority that don't seem to like the new pricing structure and I have followed threads regarding alternatives to Photoshop as well.

This offer expires August 31, and I assume the price would be significantly higher after the first year.  See pricing in link and scroll down a page to the $9.99/month offer:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativec … guide.html

I haven't researched the implications of this and don't yet understand how the "cloud" version of photoshop works in practice.  My biggest concern is that at the end of the one year trial price, the download is likely disabled unless you continue to pay the monthly fee which will go up significantly after the first year. 

A friend sent me the link and thinks it is a great deal, but his company pays the monthly fee for the full suite of software (not just CS) for him and his entire development staff.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7317/9616151776_cf4063294c_m.jpg
monty-python-foot Adsobe by FullMetalPhotographer, on Flickr

I already own the full suite so for me there is no reason to sign up for a 1-2 years.
My personal opinion is short term it is a good deal long term not so sure.

Adobe is sort of reminding me of a crack dealer. The first sample is free, but as you get addicted the price keeps going up.

Aug 28 13 09:13 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I work in the graphic design industry and there's is no alternative. Do I think it's over-priced? Hell, yeah. Is there any way around it? Fuck, no.

Aug 28 13 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Paul Grupp

MMDesign wrote:
I work in the graphic design industry and there's is no alternative. Do I think it's over-priced? Hell, yeah. Is there any way around it? Fuck, no.

Just like the crack dealer, that is exactly what they're hoping and counting on you to say...

Aug 28 13 04:03 pm Link