Forums > Model Colloquy > How to nicely say no...

Model

Danish delight

Marina del Rey, California, US

say....

Thank you a lot
I can not offer you any tfp.

My hour rate is 1500 USD.

Regards.....

You prob wont hear from them again smile

Sep 10 13 02:27 am Link

Model

jnkl

Čaġčarān, Ġawr, Afghanistan

Personally, I think that if someone took the time to write me, it's polite to write them back. I like to be polite.

Usually I'll say something like "your style is not what I'm looking to shoot at the moment" or maybe "I don't feel that your style will add to my portfolio in the direction I'd like to go."
In other words, I tell the truth smile
I don't go into details as why I don't want to shoot their particular style, unless they specifically ask. Taste is subjective, and even though I don't like it, someone else will. I'm not supposed to be a critique.
If I know of another model who might be interested in shooting with them, I refer them.

Most photographers have been happy to at least get a response.
Some of them have asked me to come up with an idea that we could do together, but honestly it's never been the ideas that have put me off, but their particular style of shooting. And in my experience, photographers trying to adapt their style to suit my taste, is usually tremendously unsatisfying for both parties. So I will never ever go there anymore.

TL;DR - tell them the truth, short and precise.
And.Be.Polite.

Sep 15 13 04:01 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Just tell them you can't... because you'll be too busy shooting TF nudes with me!

borat

That should go down well... big_smile

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Sep 15 13 04:05 am Link

Photographer

mjartphotography

Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom

Best thing to do is to reply to any message they send you.  Don't ignore it.  I would politely say 'Thanks for the message but I am not posing for nude/ implied shoots.  Thank you for the enquiery.'

That makes it 100% clear what you will and won't do.

The photographer needs to then move on.  It is when models don't reply to messages that gets me going.  They read the message but don't bother replying with just a quick responce.

Be professional, but be blunt.

Sep 15 13 04:10 am Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

ontherocks wrote:
i think in some cases the butthurt photographer lashes back at them. after a few of those i imagine they tire of playing that game.

There's always the block button after that.

Sep 15 13 07:21 am Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Well, it depends. If it's someone who doesn't seem to be a problem, but who cannot benefit my portfolio, I tell them my rates. (I usually always respond with rates anyway, simply because I don't have the time in my week to set up all sorts of trade shoots, when I could be getting paid shoots.) If it's someone who I definitely think is bad-news bears, I usually say that their work is not what I am interested in, but thank you for the offer, and that I hope they succeed in their future endeavors.

Nobody but an azz will respond negatively to that, and if they do, then, well, you just made the right decision by not working with them. wink

Sep 16 13 02:53 pm Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

GM Photography wrote:

There's always the block button after that.

Very true. I've also found that just not responding to the tripe does a pretty good job, except for the craziest of the crazies, who then do get that block button. wink

Sep 16 13 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

David Gee

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

AlexaRose wrote:
When a photographer asks to do a shoot, my first instinct is to look at their profile and decide if I'm even remotely interested. Oftentimes, the answer to that question is no. Maybe they didn't understand that if I do nudes, they are ONLY artistic (or we have a different definition of what "art" is), or I have taken better pictures of myself with a timer, or maybe I just think their choice of models isn't something I connect with or want to associate with.

Is there any way to convey to photographers that I don't want to work with them that isn't going to get me a reputation of being rude or snobby? Is that even something I should worry about?

I'm not completely sure it is fair to judge only from a port. It may only have 4 or 5 pictures and not give a complete picture of ability and/or results of this project! You should read the profile at a minimum. For instance I specialize in unedited photos and will only have a few photos in my port when I finish it. Be honest! Tell them that at this time you don't wish to work with them and the reason. Be prepared for them to defend their port, etc. but if you still aren't interested Thank them for the interest, but no thank you!

Sep 16 13 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

FredSugar

Dallas, Texas, US

AlexaRose wrote:
When a photographer asks to do a shoot, my first instinct is to look at their profile and decide if I'm even remotely interested. Oftentimes, the answer to that question is no. Maybe they didn't understand that if I do nudes, they are ONLY artistic (or we have a different definition of what "art" is), or I have taken better pictures of myself with a timer, or maybe I just think their choice of models isn't something I connect with or want to associate with.

Is there any way to convey to photographers that I don't want to work with them that isn't going to get me a reputation of being rude or snobby? Is that even something I should worry about?

Personally, I just prefer a direct 'no'.

Sep 16 13 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

J Haggerty

Augusta, Georgia, US

I send and prefer to receive a, "Thank you for your interest but I will not be booking/scheduling a shoot at this time.

Best regards,

(insert name)"

Acknowledges that you've received the inquiry and politely declines without leaving room for come backs... unless they're dickish and say something like, "Well when would be a good time to inquire?!" Then I'd ignore.

Sep 16 13 04:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Ministry of Glamour

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Anna Adrielle wrote:
thank you for your interest and for taking the time to write me. At the moment, I am not interested in working together (you *could* insert the reason after this as well, like "because your offer is not what I'm looking to shoot at this point" or "because I don't feel like I would benefit enough from this shoot to justify shooting TF with you" but that's always a bit tricky). Regards, ...

the only thing you can control is how you behave. You could write the most kind, polite reply in the history of replies, and there will still be a butthurt photographer here and there who thinks he's god's greatest gift to models and that you're a stuck up amateur snob for refusing his offer. So you just do what you can do, and don't worry about what other people think smile

+1

Sep 16 13 10:27 pm Link