Forums > Model Colloquy > How old is too old to START modeling?

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

She should just give it a shot. We're sure to fail if we don't even try!

I took up modeling again after a break and all the agencies said I was too old. A few years later, I'm even older and also a lot more successful simply because I didn't listen!

Oct 29 13 07:22 am Link

Model

Goodbye4

Los Angeles, California, US

I've followed this girl's blog for ages. But anyways, she's a successful international fashion model who started at 24 I believe. http://models.com/models/cailin-hill

Oct 30 13 10:46 am Link

Model

GQ The Couture Model

Seattle, Washington, US

I remember doing an audition for a designer and when she found out how old I was she couldn't believe it.

Oct 30 13 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SubMissAnn (MM# 173981 ) didn't even start modeling until she was 50

that was 8 years ago and she's still going strong

Oct 30 13 10:52 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

the day you start your dirt nap. until then, it's never too late.

Oct 30 13 10:52 am Link

Model

Annoula T

Fort Lee, New Jersey, US

she won't know until she starts going to open casting calls... i'm 29 and pass for a 21 year old sometimes, and i started modeling about 3.5 years ago and i'm doing quite well for myself. She won't know until she puts herself out there!

Oct 30 13 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

NGNphotos

New York, New York, US

Eugenya (the beautiful "42" year old model  smile said it best a few replies back...
  it depends on the market..not some of the ...let's call them misinformed replies that have been given.
             Commercial modelling welcomes the gamut of age ,race ,size and experience level. The "Depends" example  was perfect...
  Think about what the various looks are among consumers...that will also be the "type" cast in a print or television ad depending on the product and targeted demographic. Think about your favorite TV commercials or eye-catching "non-fashion" ads ...most of these people dont look like Kate Moss or Mark Vanderloo  ( 2 millionaire fashion/editorial  models ...in their 40's btw smile

Oct 30 13 10:41 pm Link

Model

Samone Love

Detroit, Michigan, US

Do you guys think that 17 is too old to start modeling? Because I'm 17 and would love to get into modeling, but have no experience. And I feel like by the time I get experienced enough for an agency to even consider me, if they even would, I'd be too old. It just seems like all the models I see started at like 14 or 15 with experience. Btw, I'm new here, please be nice (: thanks

Oct 30 13 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

NGNphotos wrote:
Eugenya (the beautiful "42" year old model  smile said it best a few replies back...
  it depends on the market..not some of the ...let's call them misinformed replies that have been given.
             Commercial modelling welcomes the gamut of age ,race ,size and experience level. The "Depends" example  was perfect...
  Think about what the various looks are among consumers...that will also be the "type" cast in a print or television ad depending on the product and targeted demographic. Think about your favorite TV commercials or eye-catching "non-fashion" ads ...most of these people dont look like Kate Moss or Mark Vanderloo  ( 2 millionaire fashion/editorial  models ...in their 40's btw smile

Exactly commercial modeling -- commercial agencies, lifestyle is any age but that is not runway in Milan

I have a client who has at least 3 national commercials ( one of which has been running for years), she also does some print and film -- she is probably pushing 70 is gorgeous and looks great.

But she isn't going to Milan any time soon. In general they start fashion models young. FASHION. and you have to be certain stats -- check on the boards and most of them will specify exactly what they are accepting for from size, stats to age range.

The only way she will know is if she approaches the agency herself.

Oct 31 13 05:27 am Link

Model

wrongsideofthirty

Boston, Massachusetts, US

at 24 she's probably too old for "actual modeling" like in the real world with agencies and whatnot

here on MM tho....she's perfect, that's the age group most/all photographers seem to want on here

Oct 31 13 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

BOYWITHCAMERA

On Model Mayhem: 72.  In fashion: 20's.

Oct 31 13 12:08 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Chicchowmein wrote:

Exactly commercial modeling -- commercial agencies, lifestyle is any age but that is not runway in Milan

I have a client who has at least 3 national commercials ( one of which has been running for years), she also does some print and film -- she is probably pushing 70 is gorgeous and looks great.

But she isn't going to Milan any time soon. In general they start fashion models young. FASHION. and you have to be certain stats -- check on the boards and most of them will specify exactly what they are accepting for from size, stats to age range.

The only way she will know is if she approaches the agency herself.

Likely not, but I know of a few exceptions. I know the exceptions aren't generally too notable, but I'm bringing them up because I don't believe they would have been signed in Milan 5 years ago. Maybe not even when they were five years younger.

Oct 31 13 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Don't waste time asking ... Just do it!

With trying to get signed with an agency, that would be difficult, but not impossible.  To pick up some modeling gigs, if someone wants to shoot, then go for it!  Personally, I wouldn't bet against anyone if they've got the "look" needed.  Those who are successful, do not ask ... they just do it!

Oct 31 13 01:01 pm Link

Model

Shelly Nun-Chucks

Hamilton, Montana, US

I think it depends on what they are type of modeling they are looking to get into

Sport/action type models can be any age.  I know some women in their sixties and get paid great money.

Oct 31 13 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Samone Avelia wrote:
Do you guys think that 17 is too old to start modeling? Because I'm 17 and would love to get into modeling, but have no experience. And I feel like by the time I get experienced enough for an agency to even consider me, if they even would, I'd be too old. It just seems like all the models I see started at like 14 or 15 with experience. Btw, I'm new here, please be nice (: thanks

You are young!  The answer for you is "Get busy!"   You're 5' 10" ... go make some calls to agencies.  Be careful to check references, have a parent or guardian with you.  Most of these agencies might turn you down if you don't have the look they want.  They may give you advise though, and that will help you in the future. 

The way some model talent agencies cast ... you'd think that 15 or 16 is peak age for models, but that is not necessarily true.  It's especially not true with the creation of the Internet, as the Internet seems to be like a monster furnace that requires new images every hour!   Fortunately digital photographers abound to fill the need.  New faces for commercial images are also needed.

Oct 31 13 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

R Byron Johnson

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Samone Avelia wrote:

Agencies really don't give a shit how many shoots you've done.  They just wanna see some photos of you to see how "photogenic" you are, and you can accomplish that with one single shoot.  So go for it.

Oct 31 13 07:59 pm Link

Model

Kirst

Derry, New Hampshire, US

if SHE thinks she is too old to model, she is.
technically she's not at all, but her attitude would keep her from being successful.

Oct 31 13 08:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

sweetcheekscouture

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

B R U N O wrote:
On Model Mayhem: 72.  In fashion: 20's.

haha

Oct 31 13 08:13 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I started modeling a few weeks shy of 24...

Oct 31 13 08:18 pm Link

Model

Misty R H

Anaheim, California, US

I just turned 50 and I have an agent and do commercial modeling.

I just went on an audition for a print ad for a company called Starkey.  They wanted models from 40 - 70...their product is hearing aids.  A commercial model's work isn't about glamour but it can still be fun.

I frequently see casting calls for older models for things such as...
...cruise lines that attract mature demographic.
...insurance company.
...retirement community.
...home appliances.

No I don't get a lot of work.  That is partly due to me having to work around a full time job. But even so it is not enough to make a living...but it is something fun to do on the side.

So age is not the real issue to be a model. A model just has to have the right expectations.  I know I won't be a fashion or runway model.  I also know that I won't be doing anything glamorous.  A model also has to be in an area that does commercial work.

Oct 31 13 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

John Mathys

Lee, Massachusetts, US

A few months ago I tried finding a model for a paid shoot who was at least 60, hopefully older. All ages should be in front of the camera, though the type of modeling you do may evolve over time.

Nov 01 13 01:19 am Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

It all depends on the look, and how old she LOOKS, not how old she IS... at least to a reputable agency.

I mean, I'm 27 (that's new), and last week, I booked a gig from a guy who thought I was 18.

Nov 01 13 03:41 am Link

Model

Nadia Ruslanova

Tampa, Florida, US

Don Garrett wrote:
This woman was 45, (almost twice the age of the woman you are talking about). She was exquisite. As far as I know, this was the first time she posed for the camera. Is THAT too old to start ? The point is, if she is as amazing as this one was, pretty nearly any age is fine.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/1005854
-Don

DAMN! i hope i look like that at 45!

Nov 01 13 09:09 am Link

Photographer

DAVISICON

San Antonio, Texas, US

depending on the market section and type of modeling, there probably is never too old an age for modeling...................W

Nov 01 13 09:21 am Link

Model

GingerMuse

STUDIO CITY, California, US

255 West wrote:
I laughed when you said she was 24. I thought you were about to say she was in her fifties.

An agency will represent anyone they think they can make them money. Money is all that matters for the agencies, nothing else.

+1 I have a model friend in her 40s who was signed w/LA Models. She recently left them & signed w/a different agency.
True, it's harder to sign w/an agency post 24, especially w/no experience, but it doesn't mean it won't happen. But if she wants to do it, I would suggest starting ASAP. If she's really good at marketing and such and talented, she could still get a decent amount of work sans an agency.

Nov 02 13 09:27 pm Link

Model

StanleyE

Mansfield, England, United Kingdom

I'm retired and took up modelling to keep slim, fit and balanced. Doing it has improved all three and as a bonus I have lots of photographer friends. Thanks to them I can now teach new photographers how to pose a model and set up lighting. I have my own studio lights and speed lights and have access to a studio like space in North Nottinghamshire.

Being able to work at something I enjoy and do it for free has changed my whole life. Anyone reading this whose thinking about becoming a model don't be shy get some pics on here and wait for the shoots!

Seeing this thread and thinking about it I will offer 121 tuition for aspiring models. Thanks for starting it elementfoto I'm grateful to you.

Nov 03 13 01:40 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Sounds like she could do commercial if not fashion..it depends on the local market.

And as was stated earlier, an agency will rep models they think can make them money.

Nov 04 13 06:12 pm Link