Forums > Model Colloquy > Rates per hour?

Model

Samm B

Posts: 1

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm unsure what I should be charging per hour.
I do partial nudes and full nudes.

thanks.

Nov 01 13 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Posts: 7813

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

With just the 4 images in your portfolio, and the 2 credited images it is difficult to tell. I generally look to see how versatile a model is in her looks. Can she pose fluidly. These things show experience levels.

You also have to consider your area, and what the market bears in that area. Nude rates depend alot on style and length of shoot. What is it for? Website content, shooting just to gain more experience, a publication ... there are way to many factors to consider.

BTW, welcome to MM. smile

Nov 01 13 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

svenler

Posts: 1656

Bethesda, Maryland, US

Nov 01 13 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Walker

Posts: 462

Loveland, Colorado, US

UltimateAppeal wrote:
With just the 4 images in your portfolio, and the 2 credited images it is difficult to tell. I generally look to see how versatile a model is in her looks. Can she pose fluidly. These things show experience levels.

You also have to consider your area, and what the market bears in that area. Nude rates depend alot on style and length of shoot. What is it for? Website content, shooting just to gain more experience, a publication ... there are way to many factors to consider.

BTW, welcome to MM. smile

Agreed +  smile

Nov 01 13 01:34 pm Link

Model

Amanda Padilla

Posts: 1772

New York, New York, US

free

Nov 01 13 01:37 pm Link

Model

wrongsideofthirty

Posts: 543

Boston, Massachusetts, US

as a photographer im unlikely to pay anyone with very little experience, you've only been here since 13 and don't have enough shots for me to tell how adaptable you are.

as a model i didnt start charging until i had four years experience under my belt.


that said there are photographers who want to shoot nudes badly enough that they would pay.....i would say if you are determined to start charging, start low, a bit lower than the average for your area, area determines rates. if you find you get a lot of work even with little experience, then go for the average.

personally i charge 60 an hour, but again, your area, experience and other factors make everyone different

Nov 01 13 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Posts: 10308

Santa Ana, California, US

As a beginner, you would be better served by concentrating on producing some great images which market you well. Leave the concerns of what to charge until you're capable of delivering on that level.

Nov 01 13 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

afplcc

Posts: 6000

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Samantha Barley wrote:
I'm unsure what I should be charging per hour.
I do partial nudes and full nudes.

thanks.

First, all of the answers you've gotten are pretty good.

Second, think about what types of shoots you want to do (and I don't just mean nudes).  For instance, most models on MM will tell you that they make most of their money posing for GWCs.  GWCs are likely to pay higher rates (b/c it's a chance to see a NAKED WOMAN).  But you also need to be much more flexible and less choosy in what you shoot. An experienced photographer is less likely to pay a higher fee for an inexperienced model.  For instance, no insult intended but I don't pay new or inexperienced models to pose for me.  Are you just looking to get money from the shoots or do you also want a chance to shoot some stuff you're interested in (or get to keep prints) or upgrade your portfolio so you can get higher fees?

As a general rule, most professional photographers will tell you that if they hire you for a shoot, they don't feel they are under any obligation to provide you with prints afterwards…if they do it's a gift.  Which means if you start out demanding pay, you're likely to get GWC work (and prints but probably not an upgrade of your portfolio).  You may also distinguish in rates with the type of work (art nudes vs. soft-core porn)…some models do, some models don't.

Your best way to get good gigs is to have a good portfolio and some credible references.  And that is going to come from working with some good photographers.  So start by doing TF first, build up your port, then look at paying.

Ed

Nov 01 13 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Hi_Spade Photography

Posts: 897

Darlington, South Carolina, US

Amanda Padilla wrote:
free

I was going to say this but I didn't want to get hung upside down and castrated wink.

Nov 01 13 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

m_s_photo

Posts: 602

Port Moody, British Columbia, Canada

Depends who you want to shoot with.

If you want to shoot with me, you get paid $25/hr. If Stefano wants to shoot you, you pay him whatever he asks.

Nov 01 13 02:23 pm Link

Model

wrongsideofthirty

Posts: 543

Boston, Massachusetts, US

afplcc wrote:

First, all of the answers you've gotten are pretty good.

Second, think about what types of shoots you want to do (and I don't just mean nudes).  For instance, most models on MM will tell you that they make most of their money posing for GWCs.  GWCs are likely to pay higher rates (b/c it's a chance to see a NAKED WOMAN).  But you also need to be much more flexible and less choosy in what you shoot. An experienced photographer is less likely to pay a higher fee for an inexperienced model.  For instance, no insult intended but I don't pay new or inexperienced models to pose for me.  Are you just looking to get money from the shoots or do you also want a chance to shoot some stuff you're interested in (or get to keep prints) or upgrade your portfolio so you can get higher fees?

As a general rule, most professional photographers will tell you that if they hire you for a shoot, they don't feel they are under any obligation to provide you with prints afterwards…if they do it's a gift.  Which means if you start out demanding pay, you're likely to get GWC work (and prints but probably not an upgrade of your portfolio).  You may also distinguish in rates with the type of work (art nudes vs. soft-core porn)…some models do, some models don't.

Your best way to get good gigs is to have a good portfolio and some credible references.  And that is going to come from working with some good photographers.  So start by doing TF first, build up your port, then look at paying.

Ed

+1000

Nov 01 13 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 22603

Salem, Oregon, US

it's hard to satisfy everyone. some guys might be able to pay all their models $100/hour whereas others think $20/hour is more like it. and others do it all on trade. and some don't think newbies should charge.

you could always ask the photographer what he has budgeted for the model. or just throw something out ($75 for the shoot or whatever you want) and see what happens and adjust for the next one. it's ok to lose some gigs on price so long as you are still getting enough to keep you busy.

and from a portfolio standpoint you still might want to consider trade with good photographers.

Nov 01 13 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Posts: 25319

Bath, England, United Kingdom

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
As a beginner, you would be better served by concentrating on producing some great images which market you well. Leave the concerns of what to charge until you're capable of delivering on that level.

+1

If you start charging for nudes before you have a decent portfolio then you run the risk of getting stuck in a catch-22 loop of shooting only with GWCs who just want to see you naked and won't give you images you can use to encourage better people to work with you.



Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Nov 01 13 03:02 pm Link

Model

NicoleNudes

Posts: 3860

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

afplcc wrote:

First, all of the answers you've gotten are pretty good.

Second, think about what types of shoots you want to do (and I don't just mean nudes).  For instance, most models on MM will tell you that they make most of their money posing for GWCs.  GWCs are likely to pay higher rates (b/c it's a chance to see a NAKED WOMAN).  But you also need to be much more flexible and less choosy in what you shoot. An experienced photographer is less likely to pay a higher fee for an inexperienced model.  For instance, no insult intended but I don't pay new or inexperienced models to pose for me.  Are you just looking to get money from the shoots or do you also want a chance to shoot some stuff you're interested in (or get to keep prints) or upgrade your portfolio so you can get higher fees?

As a general rule, most professional photographers will tell you that if they hire you for a shoot, they don't feel they are under any obligation to provide you with prints afterwards…if they do it's a gift.  Which means if you start out demanding pay, you're likely to get GWC work (and prints but probably not an upgrade of your portfolio).  You may also distinguish in rates with the type of work (art nudes vs. soft-core porn)…some models do, some models don't.

Your best way to get good gigs is to have a good portfolio and some credible references.  And that is going to come from working with some good photographers.  So start by doing TF first, build up your port, then look at paying.

Ed

Yup.

Modeling isn't a "get rich quick" trick.
In order to get well paid jobs, you need the experience.

Nov 01 13 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Posts: 7768

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

NicoleNudes wrote:

Yup.

Modeling isn't a "get rich quick" trick.
In order to get well paid jobs, you need the experience.

Not true.     All you need is the right stats/look

Nov 01 13 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

Posts: 7246

New York, New York, US

I would say TF until you have some shots that show you will not look uncomfortable nude.  An uncomfortable looking model nude  isn't a good thing...

Also be sure that you can live with these images being out there for the rest of your life....

Just my .002 cents. LOL

Nov 01 13 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Posts: 27936

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Images by MR wrote:

Not true.     All you need is the right stats/look

Not true.  I wouldn't book her.  There are other models.  Nicole is right!

Nov 01 13 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Posts: 2589

Socorro, New Mexico, US

Where I live, New Mexico, porn seems to start at $50 an hour.  I've had a lot of models claim they get $100 or $150 an hour without nudity, though.  The only girls I know who actually get that much money are doing porn, and they work for a lot less when it's not porn they are shooting.

I offer $30 an hour for athletic nudity (actually doing athletics, not just being fit looking).  That is more money than I make at my job "per hour" (but less than my "rate" including benefits) and it doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

Nov 01 13 03:33 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Posts: 2567

Muncie, Indiana, US

I don't think you should charge for nudes when you don't have any nudes in your port. Work on better/more images first.

Nov 01 13 03:34 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Posts: 36708

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Spend a year doing trade to build a diverse and impeccable portfolio. Then, be concerned about rates.

Nov 01 13 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Posts: 27936

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Schlake wrote:
Where I live, New Mexico, porn seems to start at $50 an hour.  I've had a lot of models claim they get $100 or $150 an hour without nudity, though.  The only girls I know who actually get that much money are doing porn, and they work for a lot less when it's not porn they are shooting.

I offer $30 an hour for athletic nudity (actually doing athletics, not just being fit looking).  That is more money than I make at my job "per hour" (but less than my "rate" including benefits) and it doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

I have paid $100 an hour for an experienced nude model.

Nov 01 13 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Posts: 12826

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Amanda Padilla wrote:
free

Generous, I think the OP needs to hire a decent photographer.

Nov 01 13 03:36 pm Link

Model

NicoleNudes

Posts: 3860

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Images by MR wrote:

Not true.     All you need is the right stats/look

For an agency sure, for freelance? Not so much.

Nov 01 13 03:37 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Posts: 36708

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Schlake wrote:
Where I live, New Mexico, porn seems to start at $50 an hour.  I've had a lot of models claim they get $100 or $150 an hour without nudity, though.  The only girls I know who actually get that much money are doing porn, and they work for a lot less when it's not porn they are shooting.

I offer $30 an hour for athletic nudity (actually doing athletics, not just being fit looking).  That is more money than I make at my job "per hour" (but less than my "rate" including benefits) and it doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

A few years ago, an experienced nude model, who was tall, lean and full-breasted could make $100/hour. I was making $75/hr consistently in 2011 for figure nudes/art photography, glamour, and up to$120/hr for light fetish content (stuff like clothed muscle worship, non-explicit). I dropped out for two years to pursue other interests, and found the going rate for nude models much reduced when I resumed shooting earlier this year. It seems to be approximately half these days what it was only a few years ago.

Nov 01 13 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Posts: 1400

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I think many models feel that after a month they can start charging what the market will bear. This is especially true for nudes. But that idea can never be further from the truth.

Many models don't have it in them to do the hard work necessary to be successful freelance models. There are a number of great models who shoot freelance and make a fair amount of money.  But that is the exception and not the rule.

You have 4 pictures in your port, but you would need to ask people's opinions in the critiques forum if you want the unmitigated truth.

Suffice it to say you need more experience before you can charge one thin dime.

Just because you are willing to shoot nudes means nothing to seasoned art or glamour photographers. There is nothing special about nudes nor do they warrant to be paid per se.

Good luck to you, but worry first about building a portfolio that would make photographers want to hire you first

Nov 01 13 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Posts: 11721

Oakland Acres, Iowa, US

Personally, i'd be very unlikely to pay a model for nude work, when she has no examples in her portfolio.  I'm sure, however, there are some photographers who would.

There are many examples of models in my area who have no reasonable nudes in their port, want pay, and get very, very few shoot offers.

I think in the long run you will commend more pay by working to get some of the best TF shoots you can.  Once you have some good nude photos in your port, I think reasonable offers will come to you.

Nov 01 13 03:53 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Posts: 2248

Naperville, Illinois, US

125 nude to 150 erotic artistic pr hr with 2 hr min. 400 half day 800 full day plus travel and expenses.

You can always negotiate.

To build your port up do part pay with part trade a few times with someone good. If you get a chance to work with someone great work out a good trade for 3 or 4 looks.

Nov 01 13 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Posts: 27936

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Caitin Bre wrote:
125 nude to 150 erotic artistic pr hr with 2 hr min. 400 half day 800 full day plus travel and expenses.

You can always negotiate.

I have paid $120 only to a nude model with a fantastic look!

Nov 01 13 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Posts: 2970

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Samantha Barley wrote:
I'm unsure what I should be charging per hour.
I do partial nudes and full nudes.

thanks.

You need to decide whether you are aiming at GWCs or more serious photographers.

With GWCs, what you can charge is inversely proportional to their skill with a camera, but you will get little or nothing that you can use to improve your portfolio.  For this market, $50 an hour is easily achievable, and some models tell me (and I believe they are bring truthful) that they get $500 for half a day from some of their clients.

If you want to work with photographers with the skill to make you make you look good and to give you the coaching that you may need, TF is a more realistic expectation (although I often pay students a nominal amount simply because I know what it is like to be studying and poor).  This will be a better deal than the GWC deal because the cash value of the photos will be worth substantially more than what the GWC's pay.

Nov 01 13 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Posts: 12826

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Caitin Bre wrote:
125 nude to 150 erotic artistic pr hr with 2 hr min. 400 half day 800 full day plus travel and expenses.

You can always negotiate.

To build your port up do part pay with part trade a few times with someone good. If you get a chance to work with someone great work out a good trade for 3 or 4 looks.

So you are suggesting she charge more that Jessica Vaugn or some other models with years of expiernce, a great look, and who have been in Playboy?  Even better pay and images?

I think it would be more helpful to give suggestions that won't get the OP ignored or worse; something based in reality would be good.

Nov 01 13 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Posts: 2970

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Koryn Locke wrote:

A few years ago, an experienced nude model, who was tall, lean and full-breasted could make $100/hour. I was making $75/hr consistently in 2011 for figure nudes/art photography, glamour, and up to$120/hr for light fetish content (stuff like clothed muscle worship, non-explicit). I dropped out for two years to pursue other interests, and found the going rate for nude models much reduced when I resumed shooting earlier this year. It seems to be approximately half these days what it was only a few years ago.

Very interesting observation, especially given your extensive experience on the other side of the lens.

I wonder if the drop in rates is a reflection of the rise of the smart phone? Now that kids are sending nude selfies to each other left, right, and centre, I wonder if they have concurrently reduced some of the rarity premium that nudes command because "everybody is doing it"?

Nov 01 13 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Posts: 2970

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Caitin Bre wrote:
125 nude to 150 erotic artistic pr hr with 2 hr min. 400 half day 800 full day plus travel and expenses.

You can always negotiate.

With those rates you can be certain that you will have to negotiate and a great many photographers would not even bother to try.

Nov 01 13 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Nature Coast Lightworks

Posts: 1873

Brookridge, Florida, US

Samantha Barley wrote:
I'm unsure what I should be charging per hour.
I do partial nudes and full nudes.

thanks.

http://www.newmodels.com/TFPlace.html

Enjoy!

jf

Nov 01 13 08:40 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Posts: 36708

Boston, Massachusetts, US

natural beauties of qld wrote:

Very interesting observation, especially given your extensive experience on the other side of the lens.

I wonder if the drop in rates is a reflection of the rise of the smart phone? Now that kids are sending nude selfies to each other left, right, and centre, I wonder if they have concurrently reduced some of the rarity premium that nudes command because "everybody is doing it"?

I really have no idea, beyond the possibility that the heyday of the full-time nude model has come to an end. The rates I was being offered this summer were so low, compared to what they used to be, it would have barely covered my travel costs and expenses to do the shoots, let alone compensated for a day that would end up being eight hours, with prep and travel time. I would rather almost never shoot anymore, but come out it with something of value - either good photos or a household bill paid - than to shoot frequently with nothing to show for the love and energy I invested. Shooting has always been a big deal to me, and I genuinely care about the results; it's never been something I took lightly, because someone else is depending on me to make their time and expenses worthwhile. That has to go both ways, if there is to be a future crop of models who are experienced, devoted, and work full-time doing what they are good at. Pretty sure we're going to gradually see this group of experienced and skilled people dwindle down to almost none, as their work becomes unsustainable.

Nov 02 13 05:20 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Posts: 15539

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

That Italian Guy wrote:

+1

If you start charging for nudes before you have a decent portfolio then you run the risk of getting stuck in a catch-22 loop of shooting only with GWCs who just want to see you naked and won't give you images you can use to encourage better people to work with you.



Just my $0.02

But they pay the best.

Just my $0.02

Nov 02 13 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Posts: 13140

Nashville, Tennessee, US

UltimateAppeal wrote:
With just the 4 images in your portfolio, and the 2 credited images it is difficult to tell. I generally look to see how versatile a model is in her looks. Can she pose fluidly. These things show experience levels.

You also have to consider your area, and what the market bears in that area. Nude rates depend alot on style and length of shoot. What is it for? Website content, shooting just to gain more experience, a publication ... there are way to many factors to consider.

BTW, welcome to MM. smile

This. Build a quality port with nude, get experience, then worry about what to charge. Short cuts won't be good in the long run.

Nov 02 13 06:29 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Alison

Posts: 2119

Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom

Caitin Bre wrote:
... 800 full day plus travel and expenses...

How often do you actuallly get paid this?

Nov 02 13 06:30 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Posts: 11721

Oakland Acres, Iowa, US

AJScalzitti wrote:

So you are suggesting she charge more that Jessica Vaugn or some other models with years of expiernce, a great look, and who have been in Playboy?  Even better pay and images?

I think it would be more helpful to give suggestions that won't get the OP ignored or worse; something based in reality would be good.

Yeah, we see beginners who are advised in threads like this to charge what the most successful models make, and then we see threads speaking to beginner models asking for high rates of pay, and wondering why nobody hires them.

Nov 02 13 06:30 am Link

Photographer

Hi_Spade Photography

Posts: 897

Darlington, South Carolina, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:

Yeah, we see beginners who are advised in threads like this to charge what the most successful models make, and then we see threads speaking to beginner models asking for high rates of pay, and wondering why nobody hires them.

+1.

Nov 02 13 06:35 am Link

Model

Eugenya

Posts: 1103

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

When I did some photo shoots a few years back, I didn't have any experience, so they were all TF.

Now, I have 5+ years of experience modeling nude for artists and art classes/animators.  I know about posing, and about being nude for long periods of time in front of strangers, and about modeling even when I don't feel like it (and having people tell me I'm a great model even when I was feeling like absolute crap--but I still went and did that modeling anyway...).  So, now I have no problem charging a decent rate for my modeling services.  Before, though, I was right not to charge anything.

Nov 02 13 06:41 am Link