Forums > Model Colloquy > Models (and others): what's your ethnicity?

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

I'm white Hispanic. My mother if half Mexican. It just doesn't really show up in me.

Nov 21 13 10:29 pm Link

Model

Mel Recker

Omaha, Nebraska, US

It's sort of complicated? I'm adopted, and I only really know 1/2 of my heritage.

On my mom's side, I'm 1/4 Ukranian and 1/4 English (possibly with a touch of Iroquois thrown in there for good measure).

On my dad's side...no idea. I know that he was a practicing Jew, but beyond that...no clue. I've gotten everything from vaguely Eastern European when I'm very pale to Mediterranean or Lebanese when I'm tan.

Mel

Nov 22 13 11:26 am Link

Model

Kyle Vanderwolf

Orlando, Florida, US

I am German/Dutch on one side, and the other side of my family were Slovakian Gypsies(so I'm not sure where they originated)

Nov 22 13 11:56 am Link

Model

Marlow Rae

Seattle, Washington, US

Typical Jewish eastern European mutt smile

Nov 22 13 11:58 am Link

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Sigh. 100% Polish, like everybody else in my country. We are probably one of the least mixed populations.

Nov 22 13 12:12 pm Link

Model

Elizabeta Rosandic

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

Croatian, German, Turkish, and Persian. My folks got around wink

Nov 22 13 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

SarahNomoto Photography

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Japanese and Dutch

Nov 22 13 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I am all Sicilian

Nov 22 13 01:01 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

I'm human. Everything else is conjecture about wibbly, made up boxes, but of that I'm sure.

Nov 22 13 01:35 pm Link

Model

Elisa 1

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

I am one of those people who don't approve of ethnicity queries.
It exists only for bad reasons: either to gather data that could be used against people or for pathetic politically motivated bureaucracies to make out they are giving equality of opportunity.

Whatever I achieve in life I want it to be not because of or in spite of my ethnicity or sexuality.
What is more important is cultural prejudice. America can elect a black president and the UK can elect a female PM. Obama is not working class from the Bronx or Moslem; Thatcher wasn't born on a run down council estate and she didn't wear thigh boots and fishnets. Ethnicity doesn't matter and can be a mask for lack of social mobility and prejudice against classes and cultures.

I am from a heavily persecuted minority originally. I haven't a chip on my shoulder about it and I was born to normal working class parents. But I did have to struggle a little against the middle class cultural idea of deferred gratification that schools take for granted. I know also the hate against the ethnic group to which I belong and I don't want any left wingers down the line claiming they have engineered social mobility because I was given some kind of bullshit positive discrimination. Discrimination is as likely to be cultural or class based or the school you went to and I think it better not to divulge any of it to the bureaucratic leeches of those in power.

Nov 22 13 01:47 pm Link

Model

Elisa 1

JadeDRed wrote:
I'm human. Everything else is conjecture about wibbly, made up boxes, but of that I'm sure.

As usual you said it more concisely than I Jade x

Nov 22 13 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Gallery-MG

Arlington, Virginia, US

Eliza C  new portfolio wrote:
It exists only for bad reasons: either to gather data that could be used against people or for pathetic politically motivated bureaucracies to make out they are giving equality of opportunity.

Sometimes it's just an interesting question that shows a person is curious about you.

Nov 22 13 01:50 pm Link

Model

Elisa 1

Gallery-MG wrote:
Sometimes it's just an interesting question that shows a person is curious about you.

Stay curious.
It matters not to me what ethnicity anyone is. I am curious about and respectful of only their culture. There is no rational need whatever unless one is a DNA scientist or wonder about their own roots, to be curious about ethnicity. Maybe that is why despite the multitude of ethnic backgrounds, and curiosity about your family histories, you are as Americans so very, very different to us in the UK. We are multi cultural ; rather than multi ethnic sharing the same culture.

Nov 22 13 01:51 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Whatever I achieve in life I want it to be not because of or in spite of my ethnicity or sexuality.
What is more important is cultural prejudice. America can elect a black president and the UK can elect a female PM. Obama is not working class from the Bronx or Moslem; Thatcher wasn't born on a run down council estate and she didn't wear thigh boots and fishnets. Ethnicity doesn't matter and can be a mask for lack of social mobility and prejudice against classes and cultures.

I am from a heavily persecuted minority originally. I haven't a chip on my shoulder about it and I was born to normal working class parents. But I did have to struggle a little against the middle class cultural idea of deferred gratification that schools take for granted. I know also the hate against the ethnic group to which I belong and I don't want any left wingers down the line claiming they have engineered social mobility because I was given some kind of bullshit positive discrimination. Discrimination is as likely to be cultural or class based or the school you went to and I think it better not to divulge any of it to the bureaucratic leeches of those in power.

Holy Shit Liza! Do you ever just chill?

Nov 22 13 01:59 pm Link

Model

Elisa 1

Caitin Bre wrote:
Holy Shit Liza! Do you ever just chill?

I am chilled thankyou. I become chilled when I deal with stuff that winds me up lol
Every form in the UK asks this question and I find it offensive. I don't like being put in boxes. Neither I fear do most Britons unless it's to demonstrate their difference from the English (Scots, Welsh, Irish) . It appears an American pre-occupation. That's up to you if you want to divulge not having a go at you!  I am saying why I object to people asking. No good can come of it except discrimination for good or bad.

Nov 22 13 02:08 pm Link

Model

Glamour Jessica

New York, New York, US

I'm Sicilian, Czechoslovakian, Polish, and Hungarian.

Nov 22 13 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

Amadea T wrote:

I think ANY half breed (pardon me for the probably highly PI term here) are absolutely gorgeous.
Perfect skin, bone structure..you know what, get bent! (wanders off into the ether with a jealous fit!)

I'm just plain olde [b]European[b]. Nothing fancy here.

European is not a country...... Which country in europe are you from?

Nov 22 13 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

Stay curious.
It matters not to me what ethnicity anyone is. I am curious about and respectful of only their culture. There is no rational need whatever unless one is a DNA scientist or wonder about their own roots, to be curious about ethnicity. Maybe that is why despite the multitude of ethnic backgrounds, and curiosity about your family histories, you are as Americans so very, very different to us in the UK. We are multi cultural ; rather than multi ethnic sharing the same culture.

If you are curious of someones culture wouldn't you need to know their ethnicity? Those two things play a huge part together. hmm

Nov 22 13 02:16 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

A mixture of several, on my mother's side English, Irish, and German, my dad was adopted but DNA testing proved his ancestry was European Jewish, which he never knew.

Nov 22 13 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Gallery-MG

Arlington, Virginia, US

Stay curious.

It's just a question.  A person's ethnic background can inform their cultural background and practices.  It's not always nefarious.

EDIT:  OF COURSE ethnicity doesn't always equate to "culture," but it can.  I suppose my contention is your original statement: "It [questions re: ethnicity] exists only for bad reasons."  Obviously that isn't true.  It's a neutral question.

Nov 22 13 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Bennett

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Euro Mutt.   big_smile

Nov 22 13 02:22 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

I am chilled thankyou. I become chilled when I deal with stuff that winds me up lol
Every form in the UK asks this question and I find it offensive. I don't like being put in boxes. Neither I fear do most Britons unless it's to demonstrate their difference from the English (Scots, Welsh, Irish) . It appears an American pre-occupation. That's up to you if you want to divulge not having a go at you!  I am saying why I object to people asking. No good can come of it except discrimination for good or bad.

Often times heritage plays a huge role in someone's culture.

If someone asked you specifically, I can see (maybe) why you'd find it offensive. But when someone asks a general OPEN question, people can choose to respond to it or not.

I think it's interesting to see what background does to different faces. I've met one person with my same mix of Native American and Irish, who was a beautiful, short, round-faced black woman.

Going up to someone and saying "Omg what ARE you?" is certainly offensive. This isn't that.

Nov 22 13 02:40 pm Link

Model

Elisa 1

Gallery-MG wrote:

It's just a question.  A person's ethnic background can inform their cultural background and practices.  It's not always nefarious.

EDIT:  OF COURSE ethnicity doesn't always equate to "culture," but it can.  I suppose my contention is your original statement: "It [questions re: ethnicity] exists only for bad reasons."  Obviously that isn't true.  It's a neutral question.

If  it was a neutral question then why has it popped up in the model section not the photographer or MUA one? Do you think it coincidence that people are asked the question based on how they look,rather than who they are or what they do? wink

Nov 22 13 02:40 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

I don't believe that.
I am a proud Irish person and respect everyone and have absolutely zero opinions against any ethnic.
It is a shame if you have to fear your government because of your race. Something very wrong with that.

Nov 22 13 02:41 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

K I C K H A M wrote:

If someone asked you specifically, I can see (maybe) why you'd find it offensive. But when someone asks a general OPEN question, people can choose to respond to it or not.

I think it's interesting to see what background does to different faces. I've met one person with my same mix of Native American and Irish, who was a beautiful, short, round-faced black woman.

Going up to someone and saying "Omg what ARE you?" is certainly offensive. This isn't that.

^this^

Nov 22 13 02:43 pm Link

Model

Elisa 1

K I C K H A M wrote:

I didn't say it was. I said I don't approve of ethnicity enquiries but am nit,saying hey don't answer. I just don't think it should matter or does matter.

Nov 22 13 02:43 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

I didn't say it was. I said I don't approve of ethnicity enquiries but am nit,saying hey don't answer. I just don't think it should matter or does matter.

The way your face and body come together, which is directly related to your genes and heritage, actually does matter.
Like, a lot.

You know, this modeling thing, it has a strong base in looks.

Crazy, I know.

Nov 22 13 02:44 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

If  it was a neutral question then why has it popped up in the model section not the photographer or MUA one? Do you think it coincidence that people are asked the question based on how they look,rather than who they are or what they do? wink

Because a model asked other models a question? She also said "and others," so it isn't limited only to models.

Nov 22 13 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

I would like for once on these forums to be in here and not read a ridiculous long opinion of yours that takes the simple fun topic to unnecessary debates that derail the thread.

I'm hopeful big_smile

Nov 22 13 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

K I C K H A M wrote:

The way your face and body come together, which is directly related to your genes and heritage, actually does matter.
Like, a lot.

Crazy, I know.

+ 2903849578493 lol

Nov 22 13 02:46 pm Link

Model

Elisa 1

Caitin Bre wrote:

I don't believe that.
I am a proud Irish person and respect everyone and have absolutely zero opinions against any ethnic.
It is a shame if you have to fear your government because of your race. Something very wrong with that.

I fear all governments because of what they can become

Nov 22 13 02:47 pm Link

Model

Elisa 1

Erlinda wrote:

I would like for once on these forums to be in here and not read a ridiculous long opinion of yours that takes the simple fun topic to unnecessary debates that derail the thread.

I'm hopeful big_smile

I'd like to express an opinion which can question why ethnicity is important without personal attack. If you like feel free to ignore my posts then I wouldn't be further engaged.

Nov 22 13 02:50 pm Link

Model

Elisa 1

K I C K H A M wrote:
Like, a lot.

Crazy, I know.

So what ethnicity am I?
Does it matter to my modelling and can you tell?

Whether you can or not is actually irrelevant it doesn't affect my modelling. Because modelling is not necessarily to do with beauty and beauty not necessarily to do with ethnicity.

Don't get me wrong here I don't mind others volunteering I don't have an issue with that or being asked in this context. Just saying why I dont like being asked generally.

Nov 22 13 02:52 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

Erlinda wrote:

I'm hopeful big_smile

A debate takes two, no one has to reply to her if they don't want to.

Nov 22 13 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

I'd like to express an opinion which can question why ethnicity is important without personal attack. If you like feel free to ignore my posts then I wouldn't be further engaged.

Thats cool if you want to question why ethnicity is important. Why don't you make your own thread instead of hijacking someone else's fun thread. wink

Nov 22 13 02:56 pm Link

Model

River Li

Tempe, Arizona, US

I am Vietnamese and Italian :]

Nov 22 13 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

JadeDRed wrote:

A debate takes two, no one has to reply to her if they don't want to.

True, but this is MM and that doesn't happen around here.

Nov 22 13 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Kezins Photography

Beckley, West Virginia, US

I'm some sort of Euro white dude I assume.  I don't know my birth family, so no clue.  Maybe I'll take a DNA test to find out exactly what I am one day.  They are getting cheaper to do all the time.

Nov 22 13 02:58 pm Link

Model

Elisa 1

Erlinda wrote:
Thats cool if you want to question why ethnicity is important. Why don't you make your own thread instead of hijacking someone else's fun thread. wink

I didn't. I posted once. You and a couple others have questioned me; in your case rudely. You are not obliged to read or reply I was simply stating why I never divulge mine and don't like being asked.

Nov 22 13 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

Nov 22 13 03:00 pm Link