Forums > Model Colloquy > Models (and others): what's your ethnicity?

Photographer

HO Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

Is "a lovely golden brown" an ethnicity? If so, that's mine.

Nov 22 13 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

Eliza C  new portfolio wrote:

I didn't. I posted once. You and a couple others have questioned me. You are not obliged to I was simply stating why I never divulge mine and don't like being asked.

If you don't like being asked then why bother coming on to a thread that asks that question?

Nov 22 13 03:01 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

Erlinda wrote:

If you don't like being asked then why bother coming on to a thread that asks that question?

If you don't like Eliza's debates why do you keep asking her questions?

Nov 22 13 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

JadeDRed wrote:
If you don't like Eliza's debates why do you keep asking her questions?

She's not debating with me... She is answering questions.

Nov 22 13 03:04 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

Erlinda wrote:

She's not debating with me... She is answering questions.

That's the nature of debate. She made a statement. People question her statement. She responds. Had no one questioned it her statement would not have been a debate.

Nov 22 13 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

JadeDRed wrote:
That's the nature of debate. She made a statement. People question her statement. She responds. Had no one questioned it her statement would not have been a debate.

People are going to ask why she would come to a thread that she doesn't like the question to and bitch about why she doesn't like the question..

It's weird. When I read the titles to threads and I don't like them I don't go in them and bitch about why I don't like it.... Just a waste of time and will only annoy people... Which she did..

I wouldn't think anything of it but she does it so bloody much it's annoying, and I'm someone that doesn't get annoyed so easily by complete random people. Just fucking odd hmm

Nov 22 13 03:11 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

So what ethnicity am I?
Does it matter to my modelling and can you tell?

Whether you can or not is actually irrelevant it doesn't affect my modelling. Because modelling is not necessarily to do with beauty and beauty not necessarily to do with ethnicity.

Don't get me wrong here I don't mind others volunteering I don't have an issue with that or being asked in this context. Just saying why I dont like being asked generally.

I still find them quite related.

However, I took more issue with you saying that asking was "offensive," while here you are saying it's not. I assume we have a misunderstanding here, where I thought you were calling the OP offensive when truly you meant that people coming and asking a sort of "What are you, anyway?" is. Am I on the right track?

Also, while you say beauty and modeling aren't always related, that can be true. But most often, LOOKS are. Sometimes it's what makes a person "beautiful" by societal standards, or weird, or even ugly that helps them in modeling, but looks are certainly an important factor.

Nov 22 13 03:13 pm Link

Model

Elisa 1

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

K I C K H A M wrote:
I still find them quite related.

However, I took more issue with you saying that asking was "offensive," while here you are saying it's not. I assume we have a misunderstanding here, where I thought you were calling the OP offensive when truly you meant that people coming and asking a sort of "What are you, anyway?" is. Am I on the right track?

Yes. I raised it when I joined here, I raise it every time I am asked on a form. I think some of the most persecuted ethnic groups one cant always tell by appearance. So hence Jews were able to hide as SS officers. Not just one but several. I can produce cites if required but don't want to hijack. But bureaucratic records of ethnicity I find worrying.  I wasn't criticising the op for asking it. I did however find it interesting -  rather than bad - it should arise in a model area and you yourself stated that ethnicity could affect appearance. Self evident of course; but my point is that one can't always tell. No value judgement or crit implied; simply interesting.

For example I heard someone say yesterday Czech girls are all so beautiful with model looks and he could tell. In fact the guy had misheard and the girls were Chechen. When they corrected him he said 'oh' and walked off.

I find the subject interesting but was not attacking the op and simply stating we should maybe think about judging people on ethnic appearance. I think as a geographer I can often tell the most obscure minorities. One member here was amazed I could tell someone was Hmong from a photo. BUT I have been wrong often enough to know one should try in general to avoid making guesses - though yes it can be fun at request. And the man yesterday who judged Chechens as Czechs made a howler for example.

Nov 22 13 03:24 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

My ethnicity is black.
My nationality is American (1st generation), Haitian, and Jamaican in alphabetical order. big_smile

Nov 22 13 03:27 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

HO Photo wrote:
Is "a lovely golden brown" an ethnicity? If so, that's mine.

Only if you have spots or stripes. lol

Nov 22 13 03:27 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Yes. I raised it when I joined here, I raise it every time I am asked on a form. I think some of the most persecuted ethnic groups one cant always tell by appearance. So hence Jews were able to hide as SS officers. But bureaucratic records of ethnicity I find worrying.  I wasn't criticising the op for asking it. I did however find it interesting -  rather than bad - it should arise in a model area and you yourself stated that ethnicity could affect appearance. Self evident of course; but my poimy is that one can't always tell. No value judgement or crit implied; simply interesting.

For example I heard someone say yesterday Czech girls are all so beautiful with model looks and he could tell. In fact the guy had misheard and the girls were Chechen. When they corrected him he said 'oh' and walked off.

I find the subject interesting but was not attacking the op and simply stating we should maybe think about judging people on ethnic appearance.

Just check the box "Prude" then. That sums it all up. all done.

Nov 22 13 03:30 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

If looks and ethnicity are so closely related, why do we need this thread? I mean you can all see me right?

Nov 22 13 03:37 pm Link

Model

Elisa 1

Erlinda wrote:

People are going to ask why she would come to a thread that she doesn't like the question to and bitch about why she doesn't like the question..

It's weird. When I read the titles to threads and I don't like them I don't go in them and bitch about why I don't like it.... Just a waste of time and will only annoy people... Which she did..

I wouldn't think anything of it but she does it so bloody much it's annoying, and I'm someone that doesn't get annoyed so easily by complete random people. Just fucking odd hmm

I didn't bitch about anyone. You however have bitched about me.

Nov 22 13 03:37 pm Link

Model

Elisa 1

JadeDRed wrote:
If looks and ethnicity are so closely related, why do we need this thread? I mean you can all see me right?

This.

Nov 22 13 03:40 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Yes. I raised it when I joined here, I raise it every time I am asked on a form. I think some of the most persecuted ethnic groups one cant always tell by appearance. So hence Jews were able to hide as SS officers. Not just one but several. I can produce cites if required but don't want to hijack. But bureaucratic records of ethnicity I find worrying.  I wasn't criticising the op for asking it. I did however find it interesting -  rather than bad - it should arise in a model area and you yourself stated that ethnicity could affect appearance. Self evident of course; but my poimy is that one can't always tell. No value judgement or crit implied; simply interesting.

I find the subject interesting but was not attacking the op and simply stating we should maybe think about judging people on ethnic appearance. I think as a geographer I can often tell the most obscure minorities. One member here was amazed I could tell someone was Hmong from a photo. BUT I have been wrong often enough to know one should try in general to avoid making guesses - though yes it can be fun at request. And the man yesterday who judged Chechens as Czechs made a howler for example.

I don't disagree with anything you've said in this statement.

As I said, the woman I met with my same "background" had zero similarities to me, yet I could still see where those played into her face.

I'm also fascinated with physical stats, not for good or bad, just in general. Many time the background can influence eye and face shape, lip and mouth size, etc. I understand the sentiments behind why this could be negative, but I think that's a usage that isn't always inherent in the question.
On that note, I also love seeing pictures of people's parents and looking at what features were inherited and which were mixed, and also body dimensions like how many heads tall a person is and how it makes them appear taller/ shorter than they are.

Nov 22 13 03:41 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

JadeDRed wrote:

Because "related" does not mean that.

Similar face structures can come from all sorts of different backgrounds, and people still have their individual faces even if they come form the same background. Also, multiple people with the same background can take on different features and look nothing alike.

Nothing wrong with not wanting to participate, but the backlash at the question when you're in a looks-based field is a bit odd.

Nov 22 13 03:44 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

K I C K H A M wrote:
I'm also fascinated with physical stats, not for good or bad, just in general. Many time the background can influence eye and face shape, lip and mouth size, etc. I understand the sentiments behind why this could be negative, but I think that's a usage that isn't always inherent in the question.

No one is saying it necessarily is, but it's not a massive stretch to see why someone from a persecuted ethnicity could find the idea of drawing judgements from ethnicity discomforting.

Look at the recent news about Roma children being taken away from their families because they didn't look "right".

Nov 22 13 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

I didn't bitch about anyone. You however have bitched about me.

Read it again... I never said you bitch about anyone.. I said you bitch about things. Big difference big_smile

Nov 22 13 03:53 pm Link

Model

YuliaK

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Russian and Ukrainian.

Model

Elisa 1

K I C K H A M wrote:
I don't disagree with anything you've said in this statement.

As I said, the woman I met with my same "background" had zero similarities to me, yet I could still see where those played into her face.

On that note, I also love seeing pictures of people's parents and looking at what features were inherited and which were mixed, and also body dimensions like how many heads tall a person is and how it makes them appear taller/ shorter than they are.

Yes of course that can be, but not always, evident. Precisely because this is in a model thread I thought it worth raising; without any crit of the op; as did you.

It is also valid to express why one does not wish to divulge ethnicity without any implied criticism of those who do.

Caitlin and Erlinda however have made some nasty personal attacks against me calling me a prude and saying I am bitching and odd. I am innocent of both those charges and I would suggest they are the ones derailing the thread as those have nothing to do with ethnicity. I shall not enter further discussion with them.

Model

PigeonFoo

Syracuse, New York, US

I'm so white I glow on my own.

My heritage is a lot of European, Irish, some Cherokee... but the Cherokee is not very prevalent in my physical genes. I'm pretty standard Caucasian.

Nov 22 13 03:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

beautifulee

Paterson, New Jersey, US

I was born in US but parents born in Puerto Rico

Nov 22 13 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Marky

Grays, England, United Kingdom

I'm a licorice allsorts, a little bit of English a little bit of Irish.  I love both lands

Nov 22 13 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

JadeDRed wrote:

Because sometimes one ethnicity over powers the others or sometimes some ethnicities have the same features as each other. Thats why people ask... I think it's cool to learn peoples background.

Many people think I'm Greek, Italian or Spanish but I'm neither of those....

Nov 22 13 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Gabby57

Ponca City, Oklahoma, US

Best guess from family names and verbal history: Irish, Scotch, English, Choctaw, Cherokee and most certainly Hedonist.

Nov 22 13 04:00 pm Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

I'm mostly Dutch, but also 1/8 Indonesian. Got some German and Austrian blood too.

Nov 22 13 04:11 pm Link

Model

AdrianaM

New York, New York, US

italian but with some blood of India smile

Nov 22 13 04:13 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Can't help myself

https://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0xwuz2NJj1r3jsrko1_500.jpg

Nov 22 13 04:19 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Italian men are super fine

Nov 22 13 04:20 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Gabby57 wrote:
Best guess from family names and verbal history: Irish, Scotch, English, Choctaw, Cherokee and most certainly Hedonist.

LOL I caught the Hedonist. I am part hedonist. Didn't know it was ethnic though. LOL smile

Nov 22 13 04:26 pm Link

Model

Serena Rachel Ways

Seattle, Washington, US

I am half African American and Panamanian.

Nov 22 13 06:55 pm Link

Model

SeaStar

San Diego, California, US

Finnish and German

Nov 22 13 08:49 pm Link

Model

Mel Recker

Omaha, Nebraska, US

Stay curious.
It matters not to me what ethnicity anyone is. I am curious about and respectful of only their culture. There is no rational need whatever unless one is a DNA scientist or wonder about their own roots, to be curious about ethnicity. Maybe that is why despite the multitude of ethnic backgrounds, and curiosity about your family histories, you are as Americans so very, very different to us in the UK. We are multi cultural ; rather than multi ethnic sharing the same culture.

Spoken like someone who has always had the luxury of knowing where they came from...

Mel

Nov 22 13 10:09 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

I am chilled thankyou. I become chilled when I deal with stuff that winds me up lol
Every form in the UK asks this question and I find it offensive. I don't like being put in boxes.

Then why does your flag look like a giant fucking present?   big_smile

Nov 23 13 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

1/2 German from the central eastern border (Grandfather moved to the USA around the time of WWI), 1/2 American pioneer mutt of English/Scottish/French/Dutch extraction. It all morphed together as a southern California suburban boy born in El Paso, Texas.

Nov 23 13 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

does beautiful have a box to check

Nov 23 13 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Amul La La

I'm half right and half wrong.

Nov 23 13 02:14 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

caucasian, with a bit of Inuit and a smidge of awesome

my parents are flemish and danish

Nov 23 13 02:44 am Link

Photographer

Amul La La

I am one of those people who don't approve of ethnicity queries.
It exists only for bad reasons: either to gather data that could be used against people or for pathetic politically motivated bureaucracies to make out they are giving equality of opportunity.

Whatever I achieve in life I want it to be not because of or in spite of my ethnicity or sexuality.
What is more important is cultural prejudice. America can elect a black president and the UK can elect a female PM. Obama is not working class from the Bronx or Moslem; Thatcher wasn't born on a run down council estate and she didn't wear thigh boots and fishnets. Ethnicity doesn't matter and can be a mask for lack of social mobility and prejudice against classes and cultures.

I am from a heavily persecuted minority originally. I haven't a chip on my shoulder about it and I was born to normal working class parents. But I did have to struggle a little against the middle class cultural idea of deferred gratification that schools take for granted. I know also the hate against the ethnic group to which I belong and I don't want any left wingers down the line claiming they have engineered social mobility because I was given some kind of bullshit positive discrimination. Discrimination is as likely to be cultural or class based or the school you went to and I think it better not to divulge any of it to the bureaucratic leeches of those in power.

I depise the online application process, asking you what you're "ethnicity" is, they have to know because....

A) It helps them do their job better.

no wait,

B) It helps you do you're job better.

Both statements are bull****.

You only have to looked at history, pretty much every race has felt the wraft of this alarming pre-occupation with colour.

Nov 23 13 03:00 am Link

Model

Izabelle Laufeia

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Personally I am part Italian, English, Australian & also Austrian. Yay for being mixed although I apparently look more Italian than anything else.

Nov 23 13 03:30 am Link