Forums > Model Colloquy > Models (and others): what's your ethnicity?

Model

Jessica Nicole TN

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I'm half Filipino, half white. smile

Jan 05 14 04:56 pm Link

Model

Eva Lu

Seattle, Washington, US

I am Taiwanese smile

Jan 06 14 01:02 pm Link

Model

Asha Etch

New York, New York, US

Black and Native American.

Jan 07 14 05:26 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Fotoartist wrote:
In Europe we find this US obsession with national roots wierd

No. I rather envy Americans for their relaxed as well as proud approach to their national and genetic heritage.

And this thread restores my belief that the United States are indeed a melting pot.

We are all mongrels and mixed race for 2 to 3 thousand years.

That's true but the Americans have made a social concept out of this. (Regardless all obstacles on this way.) That makes the difference.

Purity of breeding by the way is a step on the way to incest and incest is a step on the way to genetic degeneration...

May 30 14 05:48 am Link

Model

Celine Sophia

Santa Barbara, California, US

Filipino caucasain

May 30 14 12:13 pm Link

Model

cancellondon

London, England, United Kingdom

3rd generation African Nama/Damara tribe & German smile

African & Chinese is just breathtaking.

May 30 14 12:51 pm Link

Model

Emmie Wong

Freiburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Chinese smile

May 31 14 10:33 am Link

Model

Mz Muse

Los Angeles, California, US

African American, French, and Native Indian (Blackfoot)

My great aunt was Persian, married into the Muse family but she blended in pretty well.

May 31 14 10:53 am Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

My ethnicity is black.

May 31 14 03:07 pm Link

Model

Kelsey-Barnwell

Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada

Dutch and English !

Jun 02 14 12:41 am Link

Model

Southern_Jas

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Hispanic, Italian, Chinese

Jun 02 14 06:31 am Link

Model

neve

Agrigento, Sicily, Italy

From what I know I'm 100% Sicilian because my great-great-grandparents (I don't know if it's the right world, I mean the parents of my great grandparents) were all Sicilians.
But it doesn't mean much because lots of people conquered Sicily such as Phoenician, Greek, Norman etc. so I guess I'm a mixture of these ancient people smile
Based on my colors I suppose my Norman origin could be predominant .

Jun 02 14 08:04 am Link

Model

Lila_LaRose

Alameda, California, US

I'm half Persian, half European mix.

Jun 30 15 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Elisa 1 wrote:
I am one of those people who don't approve of ethnicity queries.
It exists only for bad reasons: either to gather data that could be used against people or for pathetic politically motivated bureaucracies to make out they are giving equality of opportunity.

Whatever I achieve in life I want it to be not because of or in spite of my ethnicity or sexuality.
What is more important is cultural prejudice. America can elect a black president and the UK can elect a female PM. Obama is not working class from the Bronx or Moslem; Thatcher wasn't born on a run down council estate and she didn't wear thigh boots and fishnets. Ethnicity doesn't matter and can be a mask for lack of social mobility and prejudice against classes and cultures.

I am from a heavily persecuted minority originally. I haven't a chip on my shoulder about it and I was born to normal working class parents. But I did have to struggle a little against the middle class cultural idea of deferred gratification that schools take for granted. I know also the hate against the ethnic group to which I belong and I don't want any left wingers down the line claiming they have engineered social mobility because I was given some kind of bullshit positive discrimination. Discrimination is as likely to be cultural or class based or the school you went to and I think it better not to divulge any of it to the bureaucratic leeches of those in power.

I strongly disagree. Ethnicity has always interested me. I am particularly fond of mixes with Asian in them, and I often fantasize about "unusual" mixes. Ethnicity gives a person physical character. Personally, I am German, English, Irish, and Native American, in that order. My girlfriend is Thai. I have NO bad intentions in my interest in ethnicity, it is just very fascinating to me, and always has been. I think an AVERSION to this discussion shows some kind of guilt. ! (being neutral to it is, most likely, OK).
-Don
EDIT : Please continue this thread !

Jun 30 15 05:04 pm Link

Model

Torttunaattori

Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland

Passport says Dutch, skin says German/Polish part from my dad and a Indonesian/Sundanese/Surinam/Jewish cocktail from my mom.

Jul 01 15 01:50 am Link

Model

chiomajasmine

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm Nigerian big_smile sprinkled with a bit of Caribbean and European roots

Jul 01 15 05:05 am Link

Model

CatherineCampbell

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Dutch & Irish big_smile

Jul 01 15 06:28 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Born in orkney scotland, english as well. Tho technically irish. As I was told my great relatives were exiled from Ireland and came to england

Jul 01 15 07:35 am Link

Model

Maddy

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Italian.  With a sprinkle of Croation and Spanish.

Jul 01 15 05:35 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Don Garrett wrote:

I strongly disagree. Ethnicity has always interested me. I am particularly fond mixes with Asian in them, and I often fantasize about "unusual" mixes. Ethnicity gives a person physical character. Personally, I am German, English, Irish, and Native American, in that order. My girlfriend is Thai. I have NO bad intentions in my interest in ethnicity, it is just very fascinating to me, and always has been. I think an AVERSION to this discussion shows some kind of guilt. ! (being neutral to it is, most likely, OK).
-Don
EDIT : Please continue this thread !

I wonder about people's national heritage (since it isn't always about ethnic groups) because it influences who they are.  I believe that people in the United States should be American first because we are stronger and more peaceful if we identify with each other, rather than accenting the differences.  I do not know the language or customs of my ancestor's old country.  As far as I know, my ancestor's have been here for generations. Some since the founding era.  The last one I know that came over was my father's grandfather.  I don't know anything about his wife.  They aren't buried together.  ( I saw his headstone for the first time just this year.  That was interesting.)

Anyway, ....  There is no culture or ethnic group that has a lock on the beauty genes.  Beauty is beauty, and skin, hair and eye color shouldn't be relevant beyond a personal preference.  Most important is spirit and how a person treats others.  Those things override beauty.  Mean people suck.  No matter how good they look.

Jul 01 15 07:36 pm Link

Model

Renee Elizabeth

Orlando, Florida, US

Norwegian, French, Native American, Czech, Irish and Cuban.
My moms' side of the family blessed me with Native American and Cuban blood  while my dad has European German 50% covering him along with Irish, French and Norwegian blood.

Jul 02 15 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
I wonder about people's national heritage (since it isn't always about ethnic groups) because it influences who they are.  I believe that people in the United States should be American first because we are stronger and more peaceful if we identify with each other, rather than accenting the differences.  I do not know the language or customs of my ancestor's old country.  As far as I know, my ancestor's have been here for generations. Some since the founding era.  The last one I know that came over was my father's grandfather.  I don't know anything about his wife.  They aren't buried together.  ( I saw his headstone for the first time just this year.  That was interesting.)

Anyway, ....  There is no culture or ethnic group that has a lock on the beauty genes.  Beauty is beauty, and skin, hair and eye color shouldn't be relevant beyond a personal preference.  Most important is spirit and how a person treats others.  Those things override beauty.  Mean people suck.  No matter how good they look.

I feel we SHOULD be "stronger, and more peaceful" WHILE accentuating the differences, but, then, I guess I am just idealistic.
-Don
EDIT: Who said: "Variety is the spice of life" - it applies.

Jul 02 15 10:55 am Link

Model

Evie Ele

Oakland, California, US

100%  Spanish (European)

Jul 02 15 11:22 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

other

Jul 02 15 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I am English, French, Lenape, Penn. German (Swiss), German, African, Wicocomico. I consider myself from a mixed relationship - my mom is kinda white, my father kinda not so white. Most of my family has been here before the founding of the US.

When asked about her skin color, my mother's mother would tell people she was part Italian. There is no Italian in my family. I guess for her generation, it was better to be part Italian than be part Native American. It became an inside joke, anything bad happen in my family, we'd blame it on that non-existant Italian. For a Halloween party, my father dressed up as an Indian, he was (he is dead) mostly Native American.

When I was a kid, people did ask me, 'what are you (sic)?' I'm sure most did for racist reasons. Mind you, this was the 70's in Ohio. As a kid, I was made fun of for not being 'quite white'.

But, I think we live in different times. People nowadays are not as racist as they were when I was a kid.

Everyone has a story, and a question about their ethnicity could be a prick in their story. Some of those stories are interesting.

When I worked in Tucson, a white woman asked me my nationality. I felt like saying, 'I am an American.', but I knew what she meant. At her question, the two nearby Mexican American women perked up, like they wanted to know too, but were too polite to ask. I told her.

In Columbus Ohio, at a Buddhist meeting, I met a black woman. She had dark skin, and most people in the US would consider her to be black. But, she had wavey hair and 'Caucsian' facial features, and she spoke with a Carribean accent. I asked her about her ethnicity. She smiled, and said with pride, that she is Indian, and from Belize. After some research, I learned Belize is Carribean in culture.

We should not be afraid of racism to ask questions.

Regarding beauty, beauty is subjective. To some people, black is more beautiful than white, to others, white is more beautiful, still other prefer an Asian tone. Let us celebrate the beauty.

I am getting all hokey, let me leave you with this - don't eat rat poison.

Jul 02 15 08:42 pm Link

Model

LauraLuna

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

I've never known it for sure. Is Mediterranean considered an ethnic type?

Jul 06 15 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Eclectic Vision

Toledo, Ohio, US

Scottish, German, Irish, English, French, Welsh, Norwegian, Cherokee, Chickasaw, and Blackfoot.

In other words, a mostly European mutt with just enough Native American that I don't burn as easily as it looks like I should. And when I accidentally get a bit of a tan, it takes months to pale back up.

Edit- Just realized that since I'm on photography page, you can't see what I look like. Here is my model page. https://www.modelmayhem.com/Mischief

Jul 06 15 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

I am Martian.

Jul 06 15 11:37 am Link

Model

JWest

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Latina (Cuban-Colombian)

Jul 06 15 01:38 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

P I X I E wrote:
Irish/Scottish/French

So I started going through my family tree deeper, and it's French/Scottish/English, possibly Irish since 40% of the Quebec population has Irish blood.

Jul 06 15 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Jules NYC wrote:
1/2 Northern Italian
1/4 German
1/4 Polish

Why did you say Northern Italian and not just Italian?

Jul 06 15 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

George Anchev wrote:
I am Martian.

When she was 3 my daughter always used to say she was from Mars. So perhaps you were neighbors

Jul 06 15 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I'm 100% dazed and confused.

Jul 06 15 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
Why did you say Northern Italian and not just Italian?

I can answer that ! Northern Italians are more often blond, and fair skinned, and southern Italians are more often dark. Also, the southern part of Italy tends to lag behind the northern part in literacy, economic advancement, and attracting outside investment. (the last sentence is from google). Also from google : Anti-southern Italy sentiment runs deep, especially in northern Italy.
-Don

Jul 06 15 10:17 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Earthling. Same as the rest of you.

Our most recent common ancestor lived only about 20,000 years ago--a blink of an eye in the grand scheme of things.

Jul 06 15 11:11 pm Link

Model

JWest

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

Our most recent common ancestor lived only about 20,000 years ago--a blink of an eye in the grand scheme of things.

Earthling isn't an ethnicity. Human would've have been a better response as it would've made the distinction between species on Earth which could technically be seen as "ethnicities" of Earth. Also the most recent common male ancestor of modern day humans emerged 209,000 years ago. ;-)

Jul 07 15 04:52 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jay Dezelic wrote:

eh not quite but I assume u missed a 0. Homo sapiens have been around as long as 200 000 years. By 20 000 yrs ago we were basically all over the world and had developed a few tools.  Paleolithic period or something was underway

Jul 07 15 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Don Garrett wrote:

I can answer that ! Northern Italians are more often blond, and fair skinned, and southern Italians are more often dark. Also, the southern part of Italy tends to lag behind the northern part in literacy, economic advancement, and attracting outside investment. (the last sentence is from google). Also from google : Anti-southern Italy sentiment runs deep, especially in northern Italy.
-Don

Thats interesting I wonder why that is

Jul 07 15 07:11 am Link

Photographer

chiamac

Mostly Polish, Czech, and Belgium.

Jul 07 15 07:17 am Link

Model

Caroline Michaud

Reston, Virginia, US

French, Native American, Scottish