Forums > Model Colloquy > Models (and others): what's your ethnicity?

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Jewish smile

Jul 07 15 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Solas wrote:

That's interesting I wonder why that is

I don't know, but, (a long time ago), I saw a movie that highlighted the northern vs. the southern Italian rift. I don't remember the name of the movie.
-Don

Jul 07 15 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
Jewish smile

A long time ago, I had a Jewish friend, that INSISTED that Judaism is NOT a race or ethnicity, it is a religion ONLY. (maybe the smiley face in your post tells the story, or sarcasm).
-Don

Jul 07 15 05:50 pm Link

Model

neve

Agrigento, Sicily, Italy

Don Garrett wrote:
I can answer that ! Northern Italians are more often blond, and fair skinned, and southern Italians are more often dark.

Northern Italians are not  often blond and fair skinned .  I’ve spent some years in Milan for modeling and I saw that the most part of them had brown hair and brown eyes. It’s true that there are some regions in the north that were conquered by Austrian and where you can find more blonde people, but it’s not true for all the northern regions.
Here in Sicily lots of people have dark hair but there are many (especially in little towns) that are blonde and/or have green or blue eyes (because of the Norman heritage). I am Sicilian and all my ancestors I know were Sicilians (I’m sure that the grandparents of my grandparents were all Sicilians), but I have red hair and turquoise eyes as the most part of my family members has.
Italy in general has been conquered by lots of people (Arabs, Phoenicians, Greeks, Normans, Spanish, French, Austrian…) so nearly everyone is a mixture of different populations.

Don Garrett wrote:
Also, the southern part of Italy tends to lag behind the northern part in literacy, economic advancement, and attracting outside investment. (the last sentence is from google). Also from google : Anti-southern Italy sentiment runs deep, especially in northern Italy.
-Don

This is not true. To better understand the question of the north of Italy vs the south we must look at the history. I can’t explain everything in detail because it would take too long , but before the Italian unification (1861) Italy was divided in lots of States. The South was governed by the Bourbons and it extended from Naples to Sicily. This big state was called Kingdom of the Two Sicilies and was rich and well developed (just to give an example the very first railway of Italy was in the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies , from Naples to Portici).  During the 19th century  the king of Piedmont and Sardinia conquered the South but he  pretended he was giving freedom to the southern people. In reality he conquered the rich south and brought the riches to the north. Recently there have been lots of studies, books etc. that try to explain what happened for real. Very old Sicilian men who experienced the unification told their grandchildren that they weren’t happy about it and that they considered the northern Italians as invaders.
After that moment the Italian central government put all its effort to develop the north spending money for the industries , for the public transportation, for the infrastructures, etc. and the south became poorer and poorer:  they did nothing to develop the agriculture, the infrastructures, and above all they didn’t give value to the extraordinary archeology and monuments that are really immense in the south!
In the past few decades the Italian governments said they gave money to the south, thus making the northern Italians angry and jealous but it was not completely true: they gave money to the corrupt politicians of the south that were friends of them, and they didn’t spend anything to improve the economic condition of the south!
For example the trains we have now in the south, especially in Sicily, are slower than 40 years ago, but in the north they have very modern and fast trains (some of them faster than 300 km/h) .
Recently there have been many scandals that involved both southern and northern politicians (from Venice, Lombardy, etc.) so the most part of northern Italians started to understand that the problems of the south are caused by the wrong politics of the Italian governments and not by the southern people!

Jul 09 15 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

neve wrote:
Northern Italians are not  often blond and fair skinned .  I’ve spent some years in Milan for modeling and I saw that the most part of them had brown hair and brown eyes. It’s true that there are some regions in the north that were conquered by Austrian and where you can find more blonde people, but it’s not true for all the northern regions.
Here in Sicily lots of people have dark hair but there are many (especially in little towns) that are blonde and/or have green or blue eyes (because of the Norman heritage). I am Sicilian and all my ancestors I know were Sicilians (I’m sure that the grandparents of my grandparents were all Sicilians), but I have red hair and turquoise eyes as the most part of my family members has.
Italy in general has been conquered by lots of people (Arabs, Phoenicians, Greeks, Normans, Spanish, French, Austrian…) so nearly everyone is a mixture of different populations.

This is not true. To better understand the question of the north of Italy vs the south we must look at the history. I can’t explain everything in detail because it would take too long , but before the Italian unification (1861) Italy was divided in lots of States. The South was governed by the Bourbons and it extended from Naples to Sicily. This big state was called Kingdom of the Two Sicilies and was rich and well developed (just to give an example the very first railway of Italy was in the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies , from Naples to Portici).  During the 19th century  the king of Piedmont and Sardinia conquered the South but he  pretended he was giving freedom to the southern people. In reality he conquered the rich south and brought the riches to the north. Recently there have been lots of studies, books etc. that try to explain what happened for real. Very old Sicilian men who experienced the unification told their grandchildren that they weren’t happy about it and that they considered the northern Italians as invaders.
After that moment the Italian central government put all its effort to develop the north spending money for the industries , for the public transportation, for the infrastructures, etc. and the south became poorer and poorer:  they did nothing to develop the agriculture, the infrastructures, and above all they didn’t give value to the extraordinary archeology and monuments that are really immense in the south!
In the past few decades the Italian governments said they gave money to the south, thus making the northern Italians angry and jealous but it was not completely true: they gave money to the corrupt politicians of the south that were friends of them, and they didn’t spend anything to improve the economic condition of the south!
For example the trains we have now in the south, especially in Sicily, are slower than 40 years ago, but in the north they have very modern and fast trains (some of them faster than 300 km/h) .
Recently there have been many scandals that involved both southern and northern politicians (from Venice, Lombardy, etc.) so the most part of northern Italians started to understand that the problems of the south are caused by the wrong politics of the Italian governments and not by the southern people!

DON GARRETT WROTE:
OK, thanks for this more in depth look at the Italian north vs south issue. All I can get, usually, is what I hear from pretty far away, and a movie, that may, or may not have had any validity.
-Don

Jul 09 15 10:03 am Link

Model

neve

Agrigento, Sicily, Italy

Don Garrett wrote:

DON GARRETT WROTE:
OK, thanks for this more in depth look at the Italian north vs south issue. All I can get, usually, is what I hear from pretty far away, and a movie, that may, or may not have had any validity.
-Don

No problem! smile
Even in Italy we have been told  lots of lies about the history of the unification; recently many historians did some research and wrote books about what really happened (but in the south many people already knew it).

Jul 09 15 11:21 am Link

Model

Shantellmx

Alofau, Eastern, American Samoa

African American, White (French) & Panamanian

Jul 09 15 03:24 pm Link

Model

Julia A Campbell

DEFUNIAK SPRINGS, Florida, US

I've always been interested in ancestry and history, maybe it's because my family is very small and most of them weren't around when I was growing up.
My mother's grandfather was a swedish immigrant that came to the united states in 1880. His wife was a "black swede" with dark hair and eyes. I've traced that line to a man who was knighted after refusing to forfeit his bible after they were being translated to modern english from latin. They were farmers. A distant cousin actually went and visited what remained of them.
My mother's mother's line is a little more complex, 300 years ago they descended from an irish female pirate. What else is know about them was lost in a church fire in ireland. Other than irish, I have been told she was pennsylvanian dutch, and english.
My father's family remains a relative mystery to me, I know they are scott, english, a touch of swede, french and american indian, although I have been trying with a lot of difficulty to know more about them... My father is very depressed. He did tell me about one of my ancestors who is actually google-able, but it's a mixed blessing, the man became renowned for being very religious.
But yea, I'm descended from a wide mix, farmers, pirates, religious guys and a slew of random folks. I've gotten european or estonian before but that's about it, and also that I look like Jennifer Lawrence.
I keep hoping that I can someday find someone that has some distant connection to a royal family or someone famous, if just for an interesting story to tell. The only famous people I'm kin to are people who got it from serious hard work, but even then it was always more of an infamous thing. My mother's father was the "man everyone loved" and worked very hard.... And I've gotten off topic.
In the end, it doesn't really matter where you came from. Sometime's it helps to better understand yourself if you know who the people were before you, but not everyone can do that and sometimes digging can be more trouble than it's worth....

Jul 14 15 06:38 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Italian and polish smile

Jul 14 15 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Davian J

Sacramento, California, US

Blacker than a muthaphucka

Jul 16 15 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Don Garrett wrote:
A long time ago, I had a Jewish friend, that INSISTED that Judaism is NOT a race or ethnicity, it is a religion ONLY. (maybe the smiley face in your post tells the story, or sarcasm).
-Don

Judaism is a religion, an ethnicity, a culture, and a nation.

Not a race. Jews come in all shapes and colors.

No sarcasm intended, either.

Smiley face, because I like it.

Jul 16 15 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
Not a race. Jews come in all shapes and colors.

I know that Jews come in many different shapes, but they are all in one color.  I grew up in Brooklyn.  big_smile

Jul 16 15 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Connor Photography wrote:

I know that Jews come in many different shapes, but they are all in one color.  I grew up in Brooklyn.  big_smile

Plenty of black Ethiopian Jews in Israel, some Chinese Jews in Kaifeng, Yemeni Jews, I could go on.

Jul 16 15 08:49 am Link

Model

ChaceWolfe

Eugene, Oregon, US

German & Irish

Jul 22 15 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I'm a little bit country... and a little bit rock and roll...

Jul 22 15 10:54 pm Link

Model

malefica

Durham, England, United Kingdom

Caucasian English.

Jul 23 15 05:06 am Link

Model

Weseley Kovarik

Great Falls, Virginia, US

Jewish

50 percent Russian though from my mother's side.

Jul 23 15 05:25 pm Link

Model

Abercrombiebr

Austin, Texas, US

Hello everyone!

I'm very new to the website, so I'm still trying to figure out how it works ;p.

I am Italian, but my mother is an American citizien, even though she is 100% Italian. Aniway I consider myself as half Italian and half American. I've been asked often if I come from many different places like Brazil, Spain, Italy, Usa.

Aug 01 15 02:51 am Link

Model

RyanGerson

San Francisco, California, US

Chinese and German!

Aug 04 15 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I am a proud Italian American

Aug 04 15 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

neve wrote:
No problem! smile
Even in Italy we have been told  lots of lies about the history of the unification; recently many historians did some research and wrote books about what really happened (but in the south many people already knew it).

I agree the north /south Italian thing has plagued Italian Americans for 140 years.  When Italians came to Ellis Island they were put into categories   

Two of which were  Race = White   Complextion  -  From the north to above Naples = White
                                                                                   From Naples to Sicily  = Black

85% of all Italians in the United States are from Naples sSouth to Sicily.

In fact Louis Prima the famed New Orleans based /Sicillian jazz/swing trumpet player who wrote such classics as  "Jump Jive and Wail", and Benny Goodman's hit "Sing Sing Sing" the hallmark song of the swing era.  Hadt to deal with this sting of bias ... Benny Goodman who was not a fan of Prima's stage antics called him a "black monkey". 

My family is from Bari and Messina, we have had to live down the sting of this distiction for generations.

For those interested I suggest you watch the PBS Documentary " The Italian Americans" or read Gay Talesse's "Unto the Sons" 

When I started college in 1972  my ethnicity was considered "Latin"  (after all Italians are in fact the first Latins) In 1974 my ethnicity was change to Caucasion.   So I lost my Equal Opportunity Grant and had significant challenges going to college.

Thanks for listening

Emilio Caruso  AKA  Risen Phoenix

Aug 04 15 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Shibley

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I have about 2,300 ancestors in my genealogy database but it may be wrong. I've had DNA testing done thru 23andme.com. My mother's side is correct but I haven't verified any on my father's side. Lots of distant cousins but none with the right names. I'm about 98% European, .02% Ashkenazim & the rest unknown.

Aug 04 15 08:24 pm Link

Model

HelloBrandy

Seattle, Washington, US

Hey!

I am Vietnamese/Chinese/Belgian

Aug 06 15 10:51 am Link

Model

HelloBrandy

Seattle, Washington, US

Jim Shibley wrote:
I have about 2,300 ancestors in my genealogy database but it may be wrong. I've had DNA testing done thru 23andme.com. My mother's side is correct but I haven't verified any on my father's side. Lots of distant cousins but none with the right names. I'm about 98% European, .02% Ashkenazim & the rest unknown.

Ashkenazim!? That sounds so cool and exotic. Haha!

Aug 06 15 10:52 am Link

Model

ShyAng3L

Seattle, Washington, US

Full Chinese

Aug 10 15 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Doug Stringham

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I'm as white as George Washington's bum...... ok... I'm actually a mix, but nearly 100% European/Scandinavia origins. With just a smattering of native American.

Aug 10 15 12:38 pm Link

Model

Sienna Luna

Brooklyn, New York, US

Italian, Irish, and Lithuanian

Dec 04 15 09:20 pm Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

Ethnically I am full Han Chinese :3

Dec 04 15 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour by Glenn

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Melungeon

Dec 04 15 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Filipino but I hear my accent is a little all over the place.

Dec 05 15 01:58 am Link

Model

malefica

Durham, England, United Kingdom

English - vaguely aware that our family might have French lineage, but that is based off surname alone.

Dec 05 15 03:11 am Link

Photographer

Super Dimension Foto

Portland, Oregon, US

There's the ethnicity I thought I was and then there's the results from the DNA test I took.

According to my DNA I'm a mostly Jewish & Viking.   I need a yarmulke with horns attached to pay tribute to my forefathers.

Dec 06 15 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

I could say I am Portuguese Brazilian. But who knows if I am also native south america, Italian or Arabic?

I am earthing. Just like everybody else.

Dec 06 15 11:03 am Link

Model

REMOVED

Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands

Lithuanian

Dec 06 15 11:13 pm Link

Model

Briana_Mae

Warner Robins, Georgia, US

white & cherokee indian

Dec 19 15 07:21 am Link

Model

Divinity82

Brandon, Florida, US

I am Caucasian and African American

Dec 21 15 07:03 pm Link

Model

M I K H A I L

Chicago, Illinois, US

I am part Estonian and part Irish, among other things. For whatever reason, I only vaguely resemble the family members I have left, my metabolism is much faster than that of any close family member, and my build is more slender than my mother's, father's, or grand parents' builds. Genetics can make for some interesting outcomes!

Dec 24 15 11:23 am Link

Model

Clearly Clarissa

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

I am Filipino, born in Canada!

Dec 24 15 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

1/4 Klingon

Dec 28 15 10:06 am Link

Model