Forums > Critique > Critique that won't quit.

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Seismic Images wrote:
Go nuts smile

Ok smile
And congratulations, this, https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22226841 is the only collage style image I have ever LOVED! That never happens! Usually(if you read above I've said it) it's not my thing but you have used it as part of the story telling instead of a cheap way to show off heaps of images at once.
The styling in this is genius! https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/35028233
You have some amazing nudes and I ike your use of filters and post editing. Diverse and unique, great work!

Jan 31 14 09:19 pm Link

Model

David E Simmons

New York, New York, US

Ella Wilkes Photography wrote:

Hello smile
Firstly, I'm glad you changed from the avatar you had when you first posted this, it is not nearly as strong as some of your other work, like this, https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/34671071 wow, beautiful shot!! Your expression and hand placement is gorgeous. I really like your look you have some good quality images and should keep working on it.

Thank you so much smile

Jan 31 14 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

JAE Photography PA wrote:
I am interested smile

Ok well, I'll start with the less positive so it ends on a high note, this image needs to be re-edited, the line of her bottom is wonky and looks a little off hmm https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31525192 which is a shame because the small version of it looked so amazing sad
However you can probably tell by the number of listings I have done of.your work is I think you have a real skill, your POV's are interesting and your nudes and use of light can't be faulted, just watch over doing the airbrushing.

Jan 31 14 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Ok!

Jan 31 14 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Tracy Zabriskie wrote:
Shoot

Ah, I have been to your port before and I adored it then as I do now! I can't begin to describe how in love I am with some of your works, I have quite a few of them listed. I wish there was more to say but I just can't find the words, beautiful work.

Jan 31 14 09:29 pm Link

Model

Olivia Martin

Mount Dora, Florida, US

For some reason I can't link to your FB page.  Will copy and paste.  My FB page is on my profile.  Please like ... if you do.  I would love feedback.

Jan 31 14 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
well - I shoot for editorial publication and commercial print, and the last thing I think of myself is that I am an artist. I grew up in Europe decades ago, in the ruins of the second world war,  and if anything I am allergic to artistic pretensions....

all of that being said I would be happy for you to have a look and express your opinion

I will also happily like your page -  if you would like to see mine it is here

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fotograf … 8361460039

and seems to be successful enough, with over 32,000 followers.....

Cheers

Hmm, that's a shame because I see editorial as beautiful art.

Well in the folk festival world of country Australia I actually doubt that pretentiousness exists, you actually encouraged me to slightly edit my OP. I am a hippie more than an art snob.

I also feel a slight tinge of irony with that comment. I know I only have a measly 500 and am ok with that, I peruse photography for the love not the popularity.

Ok so I doubt my thoughts will mean much to someone with such success, but here they are.
For one, there is such thing as over selling ones self, if your that wonderful people will figure it out in their own, your first line does not need to be one of bragging about your likes, because really, it's only Facebook; and before you go on about 'well you want likes' no I want to see how much effort and attention people are willing to go to to earn their critique, may as well.
Your work as you know is stunning and is fairly hard to fault, infact I have a few things listed and have for a while. Your eye is good and you know how to shoot a good picture for a magazine.

Hope your day is lovely.

Jan 31 14 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Henry Westheim

Taichung City, Taichung City, Taiwan

Cool collection of images! smile Your outdoor fashion work is beautiful! Perfect natural lighting, like here, https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/35095037 not to mention beautiful location and model.
You have some good indoor light shots, the one on.blue with the snoke, great spotlight effect!
I have to say though, here, https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/14958419 the retouching is to heavy, she looks unreal and not in a good way sad also with this https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/17742266 pic one. Personally the top right is my pick, because when its collaged like this it confuses the eye and draws from the beauty.
All in all you have a steller portfolio.

Hi Ella!  Happy Chinese / Lunar New Year!  Ella, thank you for your critique and for making my day.  The 1st photo you mentioned wasn't created with 100% natural lighting - I used two lights, one with a soft box and one with a barndoor.  I'm so glad you thought it was done with 100% natural light.  big_smile

Your points are well taken with the other photos, too.  Thanks!!!!

Jan 31 14 09:43 pm Link

Model

W I L L O W

Portland, Oregon, US

I would love to know!

Jan 31 14 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Hmm, that's a shame because I see editorial as beautiful art.

Well in the folk festival world of country Australia I actually doubt that pretentiousness exists, you actually encouraged me to slightly edit my OP. I am a hippie more than an art snob.

I also feel a slight tinge of irony with that comment. I know I only have a measly 500 and am ok with that, I peruse photography for the love not the popularity.

Ok so I doubt my thoughts will mean much to someone with such success, but here they are.
For one, there is such thing as over selling ones self, if your that wonderful people will figure it out in their own, your first line does not need to be one of bragging about your likes, because really, it's only Facebook; and before you go on about 'well you want likes' no I want to see how much effort and attention people are willing to go to to earn their critique, may as well.
Your work as you know is stunning and is fairly hard to fault, infact I have a few things listed and have for a while. Your eye is good and you know how to shoot a good picture for a magazine.

Hope your day is lovely.

Thank you for the feedback -  I would not have asked if your thoughts would not have meant something to me :p      Honestly I did not intend the mention of how many facebook likes I have to be "bragging" - I'm quite aware of many people with hundreds of thousands -  I am just in awe, honestly, of how popular my work has become there,  and grateful for much loyal support and a *lot* of commercial income from my facebook presence....

because I don't want to come across that way I have edited my profile -  and for that viewpoint alone your critique is quite valuable and appreciated -

and thank you for the compliment as well

Cheers -

Jan 31 14 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Tracy Zabriskie

Los Angeles, California, US

Ah, I have been to your port before and I adored it then as I do now! I can't begin to describe how in love I am with some of your works, I have quite a few of them listed. I wish there was more to say but I just can't find the words, beautiful work.

Thank you

Jan 31 14 10:20 pm Link

Model

J M Wills

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

I would like to know please smile

Jan 31 14 10:27 pm Link

Model

Kirst

Derry, New Hampshire, US

please let me know what you think :]

Jan 31 14 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Images by MR wrote:
Shoot..

Your work is very pretty, thats what it screams to me. Soft, delicate, very lovely. You obviously know how to harness out door lighting and do it well. So much cute in your photos smile (except for those spectacular body scapes in b&w)

Jan 31 14 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Scott Storm wrote:
Critique away~!

Thanks in advance...

Ok, firstly, cut back. Its hard getting through your port, which is a shame cause man you have some killer shots! Great models and poses. However try sitting on the ground for full length shots, you make your models look short shooting them at head/chest height, like here https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/35017941
All the filler takes away from the gorgeous work you have in there.

Jan 31 14 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
Ok!

Well you are just the mistro of over exposure aren't you! I am in love with your work. The white light sets are brilliant! All your work is stunning in fact. I have a few of your things listed from a while back because I really like your style. Your other works are beautiful also, you obviously have a lot of diversity and skill. Though maybe trim a little? There's a lot of pics there.

Jan 31 14 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Olivia Ashton wrote:
For some reason I can't link to your FB page.  Will copy and paste.  My FB page is on my profile.  Please like ... if you do.  I would love feedback.

Hmm, strange, did you work it out, I'll be sure to check it.

Your profile is a bit short. How long have you been in the industry? Where do you want to go? What inspires you? It feels a little lacking in info. Also what's the agency? More detail in your bio wouldn't hurt.

Your portfolio is stunning, I have trouble believing your age, your very talented. This image https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/33965195 shows amazing maturity and is truly stunning and even more impressive as the bright theme has an ability to look childish and yet it doesn't, its elegant and beautiful.

Stunning port.

Jan 31 14 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Henry Westheim wrote:
Hi Ella!  Happy Chinese / Lunar New Year!  Ella, thank you for your critique and for making my day.  The 1st photo you mentioned wasn't created with 100% natural lighting - I used two lights, one with a soft box and one with a barndoor.  I'm so glad you thought it was done with 100% natural light.  big_smile

Your points are well taken with the other photos, too.  Thanks!!!!

Same to you smile

Oh wow, well very impressive! Well done.

Feb 01 14 12:01 am Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
Thank you for the feedback -  I would not have asked if your thoughts would not have meant something to me :p      Honestly I did not intend the mention of how many facebook likes I have to be "bragging" - I'm quite aware of many people with hundreds of thousands -  I am just in awe, honestly, of how popular my work has become there,  and grateful for much loyal support and a *lot* of commercial income from my facebook presence....

because I don't want to come across that way I have edited my profile -  and for that viewpoint alone your critique is quite valuable and appreciated -

and thank you for the compliment as well

Cheers -

Ah, see your original post seemed slightly insulting to me, sorry if I took it as so, never been classed as pretentious before, I am furthest from, very chilled out hippy here and the smart ass in me reacted because liking art seems a lot less pretentious than announcing that you have such an amazing following on social media.

Intention are irrelevant online wink from an outside perspective it looks like you need everyone to know it straight up, yes its cool info but not the first thing people need to know. I am glad to have helped.

Feb 01 14 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

J M Wills wrote:
I would like to know please smile

You are a gorgeous fashion model, you have beautiful features and you have the poses for.your industry down. Great fashion portfolio.

Feb 01 14 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Kirst Callahan wrote:
please let me know what you think :]

Oh I have seen your port before, its brilliance! You are a great model! You obviously have little.fear in what your doing and are not afraid to take risks, love it! You know how to use your expressions to capture a mood and its a great talent in a model. Love.your work.

Feb 01 14 12:12 am Link

Model

May_Bee

Basel, Basel-Town, Switzerland

Ok, well firstly your port, let me say, beautiful. You are perfect for fashion and beauty. I really like your diversity and you have a stunning smile. I can also see you have great body control and awareness as seen here, https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30097280 the point in your toe and the shape of your arms, lovely. Though I have to comment as kindly as I can that some poses make you look a little to slim, this is in no way accusing you of being unhealthy or anything so please let me repeat that point, its about posing, your body it beautiful I just know how people can perceive slimmer women. You have a classic elegant port with some gorgeous images.

Now onto those seperate images, let me highlight one point "I really like them" yay! That is the best place to start because at the end of the day it is your port and your work and you have to be the one to choose how you want to appear to the world. I personally like them, I do wish your eyes in the B&W one were in focus but that is not your fault and I think the darker one shows a sexier side of you and its a great image.

Your port is very lovely and you are a great model smile

thank you a lot for your advise and compliments, and taking your time smile

Feb 01 14 12:23 am Link

Model

Kirst

Derry, New Hampshire, US

Oh I have seen your port before, its brilliance! You are a great model! You obviously have little.fear in what your doing and are not afraid to take risks, love it! You know how to use your expressions to capture a mood and its a great talent in a model. Love.your work.

wow! thank you so much <3 that means a lot coming from you! I'm a big fan of yours, even more after reading some of your responses in this thread! you're definitely the kind of person I would love to work with and I'm honored by your response! <3

Feb 01 14 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Kirst Callahan wrote:
wow! thank you so much <3 that means a lot coming from you! I'm a big fan of yours, even more after reading some of your responses in this thread! you're definitely the kind of person I would love to work with and I'm honored by your response! <3

Your very welcome, just being honest and even if I.don't like something I have no right to say its "wrong" I can only say why.
Well if your ever on my side.of the world a shoot is.yours wink

Feb 01 14 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Images by MR wrote:
Shoot..

Your work is very pretty, thats what it screams to me. Soft, delicate, very lovely. You obviously know how to harness out door lighting and do it well. So much cute in your photos smile (except for those spectacular body scapes in b&w)

Thank you.

Feb 01 14 12:33 am Link

Model

J M Wills

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

You are a gorgeous fashion model, you have beautiful features and you have the poses for.your industry down. Great fashion portfolio.

Thank you, that's a great boost smile

Feb 01 14 12:43 am Link

Model

peliroja-stephie

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Hey, I would love some feed back, I've been modelling as a hobby for near two years, meaning one shoot every other month when I had a break from work. Have recently really upped my game and am not only registering as self employed but am going on 4 tours, well, finishing my spain tour tomorrow and then heading to ireland and the uk to continue.
This mm account is for my nudes, and I have more here https://www.behance.net/Stephers smile

Feb 01 14 02:40 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

It is a great marketing tool so I treat it as such but thanks anyway.
You obviously have a very set style, a style which is very elegant and very beautiful. I think the shot I listed of yours is one of the most stunning head/beauty shots I have ever seen, it's very raw. I see you have great use if studio light, I do wish I could see a little more diversity, maybe something outdoor? But I understand that you may just want to stay in your style, experimenting can be good for the creative juices though smile
All in all you have a great port of strong images that I think hold a lot of strength in your lighting.

Thank you so much for the feedback.  Much appreciated!

Feb 01 14 03:13 am Link

Photographer

Maria J Campos

Tilburg, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

I'd like to know what you think smile

Feb 01 14 03:24 am Link

Model

Axioma

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

liked smile

Feb 01 14 03:53 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Ok then smile

Feb 01 14 05:52 am Link

Photographer

SEI Photos

Kalispell, Montana, US

If you're still doing this, then take a gander.

Feb 01 14 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Seismic Images

Morisset, New South Wales, Australia

Ok smile
And congratulations, this, https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22226841 is the only collage style image I have ever LOVED! That never happens! Usually(if you read above I've said it) it's not my thing but you have used it as part of the story telling instead of a cheap way to show off heaps of images at once.
The styling in this is genius! https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/35028233
You have some amazing nudes and I ike your use of filters and post editing. Diverse and unique, great work!

Thanks mate smile

Feb 01 14 07:51 am Link

Photographer

JIOPIX

Brighton, Ontario, Canada

Ok smile
I have been to your port before actually, I remember really loving some of your work. I think your use if the mannequin is fun a well executed, especially here, https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32118817 great masks.
The blue tone in your waterfall shot is perfection. I love the framing there too, that set in fact is wonderful.
You have a cool mix of images and your baby bumb set is heart touching.
This image https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/33148248 is one of my all time favorite shots on here, it really inspires me, the tenderness, the tone, everything, it almost brings me to tears it's so tender. I also love the bondage set with this blonde model.
I would ditch the "Polaroid" frame, it takes away from  the high quality nature of your port, also here, https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/33148248 where you shooting a mannequin again? The retouching is way to over the top! She doesn't look human and with a crop that tight there needs to be skin tone hmm sorry but you wanted my opinion and that's not a pretty beauty shot.
All in all, love your style and you have some killer jems in there.

Thank you for taking the time.   It's much appreciated.

Feb 01 14 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Konjo Kalonji

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Interested to know

Feb 01 14 02:35 pm Link

Model

W I L L O W

Portland, Oregon, US

Skipped sad

Feb 01 14 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

W I L L O W wrote:
Skipped sad

I am truly sorry! And after seeing your port I am more sorry! You are the kind of.model that photographers like me dream of. Not only is your look brilliant but you also have amazing body control, elegant sex appeal and a stunning face that you can really work! Your port is diverse and beautiful, you have great range. Again I am truly sorry, I really enjoyed your work!

Feb 01 14 11:43 pm Link

Model

Marla Pandora

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

If you have the time then I'd love to hear your thoughts smile

Feb 01 14 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Maria J Campos wrote:
I'd like to know what you think smile

Amazing! I sit on each port and try to find something I can point out that in my veiw makes not as wonderful as it could be, but with your images I can't fault them. They are stunning! This image is so powerful! I don't want to stop staring at it! https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/34421962

I also find your lighting very elegant, especially here https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/33744993 and the fashion designer you worked with is very skilled.

You obviously have a great eye for composition and its beautiful, though maybe change your avatar? I don't think your current one, despite being beautiful, doesn't represent your port as well as it could.

Have a lovely day smile

Feb 02 14 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Robert T Photography

Highland Park, Illinois, US

I'm in.

Feb 02 14 11:52 am Link