Forums > Photography Talk > Calumet Photo is GONE!

Photographer

I M N Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

The overhead of having to maintain a brick and mortar business has always been very high, and I don't think they did a very good job of setting up an online business presence. 
That may have done them in...

Mar 17 14 07:07 am Link

Photographer

PANHEAD PHOTOGRAPHY

San Francisco, California, US

Here's a short list of camera stores
In SF Bay Area

Looking glass photo
Everything you need for your film needs
Large inventory of any film you
Can think of

Pretty cool selection of used film cameras
Contax , hasselblad leica Nikon ...

Matt is pretty cool , answers any questions
You might have

Tiny little store
Great chicken wing store on same block

Fireside camera
Leica dealer
Small store but good selection
Attitude various from salesman to salesman

Camerawest high end store
If you have money in your pocket they
Treat you very well
Leica boutique

Photographers supply
They cater to photography students

Adolph Gasser
Equipment rentals
So so inventory
Works in a pinch

Keep the money in the neighborhood
Or there won't be a neighborhood

Mar 17 14 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

PANHEAD PHOTOGRAPHY  wrote:
In SF Bay Area

Looking glass photo
Can think of

You might have

Tiny little store

Fireside camera
Leica dealer

Treat you very well
Leica boutique

Photographers supply

Adolph Gasser
Equipment rentals
So so inventory
Works in a pinch

Photography supply is closing.

Looking Glass in Berkeley relocated to a larger location somewhere in Berkeley.

Mar 17 14 09:00 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

In SF Bay Area

Looking glass photo
Can think of

You might have

Tiny little store

Fireside camera
Leica dealer

Treat you very well
Leica boutique

Photographers supply

Adolph Gasser
Equipment rentals
So so inventory
Works in a pinch

Legacys 7 wrote:
Photography supply is closing.

Looking Glass in Berkeley relocated to a larger location somewhere in Berkeley.

Looking Glass is on Ashby and their new location is huge.  It is an impressive place.

I am told that Gasser may have to close due to construction on the CalTrain extension to the new TransBay terminal.  I heard it from a reliable source but I don't know, first hand that it is true.  I guess we will find out as construction progresses, but it is credible.

Mar 17 14 09:27 am Link

Photographer

PANHEAD PHOTOGRAPHY

In SF Bay Area

Looking glass photo
Can think of

Sorry my mistake
Glass key photo
On Haight street right next door to
Rocky Ricardo records

Mar 17 14 09:49 am Link

Photographer

gopherlove

Chicago, Illinois, US

im wondering when they will liquidate their inventory .... maybe some deals ....

Mar 17 14 09:56 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

gopherlove wrote:
im wondering when they will liquidate their inventory .... maybe some deals ....

That is impossible to know.  It is even impossible to know if they will liquidate at all, at least to the public.  It will be up to the trustee to decide how to handle it.

I suspect that, before they liquidate Calumet, the trustee will look to the possibility of selling individual locations or the chain.  That is what happened to Ritz Camera in bankruptcy.  Some of the locations ended up being Mike's Camera.  We have a bunch of them here in the Bay.  I have no idea what they did with the others.

My advice is to stay tuned to see what happens.

Mar 17 14 09:59 am Link

Photographer

gopherlove

Chicago, Illinois, US

GPS Studio Services wrote:
That is impossible to know.  It is even impossible to know if they will liquidate at all, at least to the public.  It will be up to the trustee to decide how to handle it.

I suspect that, before they liquidate Calumet, the trustee will look to the possibility of selling individual locations or the chain.  That is what happened to Ritz Camera in bankruptcy.  Some of the locations ended up being Mike's Camera.  We have a bunch of them here in the Bay.  I have no idea what they did with the others.

its funny cause calumet occupied (according to a salesman at calumet) an old location from Ritz camra in the gold coast in Chicago ....

Mar 17 14 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Aperture_Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

gopherlove wrote:

its funny cause calumet occupied (according to a salesman at calumet) an old location from Ritz camra in the gold coast in Chicago ....

And the guys at Ritz knew what was happening at the closing sale.
I didn't think they needed another store 15 min away from the other.
Dodd camera was always my first choice in Chicago after many goofs at Calumet.

Mar 18 14 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Vampman Studios

Chicago, Illinois, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
Everyone is shocked but when was the last time you bought anything from them?

I got most of my luster paper from them and had them fix my flash and clean my camera sensor. I loved those guys and am VERY sad that they're gone.

Mar 19 14 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Calumet may be gone.....but this thread is still here.... big_smile

171 Ma!

Mar 20 14 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

johel

Paramount, California, US

GRMACK wrote:
Website is gone, and this Facebook message:  https://www.facebook.com/calumetphotographic

After 75 years USA stores are now closed.  European ones still open, but for how long?

Oh no I buy all my equipment on this company

Wow that is crazy now what ?

Mar 20 14 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

I hope that folks that have outstanding monetary issues with Calumet will let us know what happened. These include:

- employees
- those that left equipment with Calumet for repair
- those who have rental equipment and want to return it
- those who bought something via the website and have not rec'd anything
- those with store credits
Etc.

Mar 21 14 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

In Chicago, the big camera stores seemed to have tumbled like dominoes over the years.

Helix... Gone

Lion Photo... Gone

Wolf & Ritz... Gone

Triangle Camera... Not big but served pro photographers well... Gone 

Calumet... Gone

They will be missed... Times have truly change.

More business for Central Camera and Dodd Chicago I guess.

Mar 21 14 09:52 am Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Love the Arts wrote:
In Chicago, the big camera stores seemed to have tumbled like dominoes over the years.

Helix... Gone

Lion Photo... Gone

Wolf & Ritz... Gone

Calumet... Gone

"Brick and mortar" does not seem to be adapting well against the online competition.

It really boils down to customer service, and some places seemed to act like they were the big players and the only gigs in town.

Some people accepted that they were going to get the same kind of "service" from the anonymous online stores as the inept store clerks. Also, until recently, you always saved on sales tax, when buying from out of state. In some cases with FREE SHIPPING.

I agree that the profits from the past are not sustainable by most businesses (even the online-only retailers), but things like "workshops" and "repairs/maintenance" are popular services that are best provided in person.

Few retailers seem to have the staff to provide it.

On a similar topic, the electronics parts stores all but disappeared in the blink of an eye. Those that remain morphed into a shell of themselves, and are more into game consoles and/or cellphone sales.

I can't remember the last time I went into a Radio Shack looking for a particular resistor, capacitor, or even a three-toggle switch.

The day a store clerk had no idea what I was talking about, and tried to push a cell phone on me, was the day I realized that I was better off doing most of my business online.

Mar 23 14 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

IMnPhoto wrote:

"Brick and mortar" does not seem to be adapting well against the online competition.

It really boils down to customer service, and some places seemed to act like they were the big players and the only gigs in town.

Some people realized that they get the same kind of "service" from the online stores, and until recently saved on Tax and sometimes shipping.

I agree that the profits from the past were not sustainable, but things like workshops and repairs are one way to stay in business.

The tax savings doesn't make a difference. But in many States that has changed. Plus you're suppose to report if you didn't pay taxes. The Brick n Mortar stores here complained about Amazon here, which lead to that tax changes here. But that new law didn't really hurt Amazon. Amazon got creative with "Prime", shipping deals. Price deals, Amazon p.o. like boxes where you can pick up your package anytime etc. Now they're in the midst of working with the post office where they will deliver 7 days a weeks. Imo, what really shines with Amazon is their customer services. I never cared much about Calumet's customer service. The store that was here, the people act they have some personal issues. Very somber people. Plus they were always expensive.

Mar 23 14 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Love the Arts wrote:

Helix... Gone

Lion Photo... Gone

Wolf & Ritz... Gone

Calumet... Gone

Helix is gone??? Bummer.

When I lived in Chicago, Helix and Calumet were my go to for lighting and grip gear, as well as rentals.

I was still living there when Ross Ehlert folded - in my opinion the best Kodachrome custom lab in Chicago. Thank goodness Gamma was still around. Then I left in 1999.

Mar 23 14 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Legacys 7 wrote:
The tax savings doesn't make a difference. But in many States that has changed. Plus you're suppose to report if you didn't pay taxes. The Brick n Mortar stores here complained about Amazon here, which lead to that tax changes here. But that new law didn't really hurt Amazon. Amazon got creative with "Prime", shipping deals. Price deals, Amazon p.o. like boxes where you can pick up your package anytime etc. Now they're in the midst of working with the post office where they will deliver 7 days a weeks. Imo, what really shines with Amazon is their customer services. I never cared much about Calumet's customer service. The store that was here, the people act they have some personal issues. Very somber people. Plus they were always expensive.

I accepted the extra cost, in situations where I needed items in emergency situations. It was well worth it.

The overhead associated with maintaining/managing a physical store front, instead of cheaper warehouse space is something that people aren't willing to accept, in the same manner that people want cheaper clothing, but do not want to pay what it costs to manufacture it in The States.

The customer service aspect is the biggest factor for repeat business from people that want customer service, or just appreciate a good experience in return for their money. It just isn't something that seems to be promoted by a lot of store managers or their corporate handlers.

Mar 23 14 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

IMnPhoto wrote:
On a similar topic, the electronics parts stores all but disappeared in the blink of an eye. Those that remain morphed into a shell of themselves, and are more into game consoles and/or cellphone sales.

This place just outside Boston is still in business (originally opened in 1949) though I wonder for how long it can survive:
http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/

Mar 23 14 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Ferris

New York, New York, US

Good riddance to bad rubbish. I visited the NYC location twice and got horrible customer service both times.

Mar 23 14 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:

Helix is gone??? Bummer.

When I lived in Chicago, Helix and Calumet were my go to for lighting and grip gear, as well as rentals.

I was still living there when Ross Ehlert folded - in my opinion the best Kodachrome custom lab in Chicago. Thank goodness Gamma was still around. Then I left in 1999.

Digital killed photo labs quicker than the camera stores in Chicago.
LaSalle Photo was popular when you were in Chicago... Poof... Gone!
Darkroom Aids (not a photo lab, just a supplier darkroom supplies and equipment) died a quick death too.

Mar 24 14 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Love the Arts wrote:
Digital killed photo labs quicker than the camera stores in Chicago.
LaSalle Photo was popular when you were in Chicago... Poof... Gone!
Darkroom Aids (not a photo lab, just a supplier darkroom supplies and equipment) died a quick death too.

UGHH - LaSalle Photo. God that's a bad memory. They were a completely incompetent lab for Kodachrome. Green and or purple ghastly color casts. In addition they actually censored a shoot of mine by scribbling black on the nether regions of a nude on all the rolls. I was absolutely astounded that they thought they somehow could do this.
I hope they died a horrible financial death.

The only truly consistently competent Kodachrome labs during the 90s in Chicago were Ross Ehlert and Gamma. Even the Kodak labs weren't delivering pro level consistency for Kodachrome.

Last I checked (a couple years ago), Gamma was still around (loved their little pickup/dropoff cars running around Chicago). But that may be attributed to them doing a lot of B/W work.

Mar 24 14 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

UGHH - LaSalle Photo. God that's a bad memory. They were a completely incompetent lab for Kodachrome. Green and or purple ghastly color casts. In addition they actually censored a shoot of mine by scribbling black on the nether regions of a nude on all the rolls. I was absolutely astounded that they thought they somehow could do this.

The only truly consistently competent Kodachrome labs during the 90s in Chicago were Ross Ehlert and Gamma. Even the Kodak labs weren't delivering pro level consistency for Kodachrome.

Last I checked (a couple years ago), Gamma was still around (loved their little pickup/dropoff cars running around Chicago). But that may be attributed to them doing a lot of B/W work.

I'd gone to jail that day. The idea that they pulled some shit like that after all of that labor, would send me into a rage.

Mar 24 14 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Hi_Spade Photography

Florence, South Carolina, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

I'd gone to jail that day. The idea that they pulled some shit like that after all of that labor, would send me into a rage.

Haha, I see we think alike wink. As far as the OP, I'm just glad B&H is still going. Every piece of equipment I have came from them. Never had ANY problems with them. Their customer service is second to NONE.

Mar 24 14 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

Their Kodachrome service were the pits, but their Ektachrome and negative color print service was pretty decent and CHEAP.  If you were shooting events and low end portraits, that was your go to place. I did my own color enlargements, but I would go there for color negative processing and proofs. 

Sorry to tell you this... but they owned the property and during the height of the real estate boom, they sold the property for a shit load of cash and the business to new owners... and the new owners died the slow financial death... LOL!

Mar 24 14 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Love the Arts wrote:

Their Kodachrome service were the pits, but their Ektachrome and negative color print service was pretty decent and CHEAP.  If you were shooting events and low end portraits, that was your go to place. I did my own color enlargements, but I would go there for color negative processing and proofs. 

Sorry to tell you this... but they owned the property and during the height of the real estate boom, they sold the property for a shit load of cash and the business to new owners... and the new owners died the slow death... LOL!

Oh ouch!

I may not have this entirely correct, but I believe I was also told at some point that they became popular based on doing large duplication stuff like blueprints and what not, and they mentioned that "oh - you don't want to take fashion stuff there".

Mar 24 14 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

Oh ouch!

I may not have this entirely correct, but I believe I was also told at some point that they became popular based on doing large duplication stuff like blueprints and what not, and they mentioned that "oh - you don't want to take fashion stuff there".

My black and white work was done by me, when I shot film. Client based transparencies went to Gamma and test based fashion work would go to LaSalle.
I rarely shot Kodachrome back then and LP did a decent job with Ektachrome.

When I converted to digital, all the darkroom equipment collected dust.
Scanners made enlargers obsolete pretty much. If I were to shoot film nowadays, I would just shoot transparencies.

Mar 24 14 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Yeah, I started using Gamma exclusively when Ross Ehlert folded. Testing went to agencies a lot, so I couldn't really scrimp on that. Also being able to produce the highest quality dupes was important to me. I really liked Gamma. Both Ross Ehlert and Gamma did the prompt delivery and pickup thing when you had an open account, which I depended upon also. Gamma would also print my logo on the transparency cardboards which I thought was really cool.

Mar 24 14 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

stevie oetjengerdes

SPV Photo wrote:
From Facebook...

Ouch.

yikes that sucks

Mar 24 14 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Sichenze Photography

Powhatan, Virginia, US

You are being silly.  The land and buildings are worth millions the business is worth thousands.  Just because it turned a profit doesn't mean that someone would pay any kind of big bucks for it. A business like that is typically worth the value of its inventory and hard assets plus a year or two of profits.

Inheritance taxes don't kick in until you meet a threshold and their are multiple heirs.  I'm not even sure, the way the trust was set up that inheritance taxes even apply.  The owner did estate planning in advance, plus they brought in consultants to evaluate the situation and provide recommendations from which they made a very informed decision.  It would be better if you spoke with a knowledge of the facts rather than simply speculating.

I am not going to get into a long discussion on this but inheritance taxes but it is not waived by a trust and there is no requirement for multiple heirs.  Here is the IRS rules on it:
Most relatively simple estates (cash, publicly traded securities, small amounts of other easily valued assets, and no special deductions or elections, or jointly held property) do not require the filing of an estate tax return. A filing is required for estates with combined gross assets and prior taxable gifts exceeding $1,500,000 in 2004 - 2005; $2,000,000 in 2006 - 2008; $3,500,000 for decedents dying in 2009; and $5,000,000 or more for decedent's dying in 2010 and 2011 (note: there are special rules for decedents dying in 2010); $5,120,000 in 2012, $5,250,000 in 2013 and $5,340,000 in 2014 and you have 270 days to pay it after the person dies so you have to sell or raise cash or have an estate plan that will liquify your assets.

Mar 24 14 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

GeorgeMann

Orange, California, US

I visited Calumet Santa Ana last Saturday morning. It was the last day of a three day liquidation sale. Signs were up for the sale of all store fixtures and office equipment (contact sale admin.). I did not find out about the sale until late Friday afternoon. Many items were gone and many were advertised as 20-50% off, including cameras and lenses that were left.
I was after ink, paper, and Nikon Lenses, all of which were gone. There was an abundance of lighting equip., tripods, backpacks, filters, and all sorts of misc. odds and ends.
After Saturday 04/26/2014, everything was being moved to the LA store for continued liquidation sales.
Contrary to popular belief, the employees did know ahead of time about the closure and the regular Calumet sales people were in Santa Ana the last day working as sales staff.

May 01 14 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Alestra

MOUNT ROYAL, New Jersey, US

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:

Actually, not too long ago.  They were about the only place in NYC you could go to on a Saturday if you needed something. 

Also had great repair and rental service.

or during passover.

May 01 14 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Ackerman

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I loved their catalog, but have been purchasing from BH Photo since they've been in business. Over the years BH has come through for me, no matter where I was located! They are honest and the prices are fair.. Inventory is remarkable too! Still I'm sad about the demise of another old American concern.

May 01 14 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

The site sate says they are back..
The website is under construction..
It looks like they may have some good deals..
Not sure about the store locations..
It does look like they pushing the rental..

I hope its back, I hope for good.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/

May 17 14 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

David Shinobi

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

They reopened a Calumet here just outside Chicago this past Sunday but not the huge store in the city.

http://voices.suntimes.com/business-2/c … 3f4sGxy2UA

May 17 14 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

David Shinobi  wrote:
They reopened a Calumet here just outside Chicago this past Sunday but not the huge store in the city.

Oak Brook... good luck with that!!!  Easier to order online or go to Dodd.

May 17 14 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

David Shinobi  wrote:

So, should we start a new thread???

Calumet bought a local chain in DC called Penn Photo about two years ago. They closed half their stores, then they went under again with Calmuet. Camera stores in high dollar retail spaces are tough to make profitable anymore.

May 17 14 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

Cambridge, MA store Going Out of Business Sale last day was today (5/17). The manager said what they had left (not much) was being shipped to the NYC store.

May 17 14 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

GeM Photographic

Racine, Wisconsin, US

The Oak Brook store was my normal source for seamless backgrounds. I'll have to check there to see about another roll of grey (probably vinyl this time, instead of paper).

May 17 14 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Love the Arts wrote:

Oak Brook... good luck with that!!!  Easier to order online or go to Dodd.

Oak Brook - WTF - because that's where all the good photographers are (sarc).
It's like nothing but corporate. Yeah - and the fashion agencies are all moving to Oak Brook too (still more sarc).

(BTW: I'm from Chicago)

May 17 14 08:06 pm Link