Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > I just got home from the movies

Photographer

Reflected

New York, New York, US

MMDesign wrote:
I lost a pretty big client when I laughed at my contact there when she said that humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time. I honestly thought she was joking.

And, hey, how are you?

They don't?  Uh oh...

Recovering from the shock of this revelation, my friend.  Recovering from the shock.

Mar 30 14 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Eugenya Donald Photo wrote:
The Fountain was not going over my head.  I simply didn't like it at all.  I'm an extremely symbolic sort, too.  I just. didn't. like it.

That's cool with me. I like pretentious overblown navel-gazing prattle. I also like cheap sloppy crap with no redeeming social value whatsoever. As long as it isn't slavishly serving up the same formulaic crap that people indiscriminately accept as entertainment and consume passively and uncritically, I'll check it out and probably like it.

Mar 30 14 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I still want every T.S. Eliot poem to be Prufrock.

THEWASTELANDTHEWASTELANDTHEWASTELAND <pant pant wheeze> THEWASTELANDTHEWASTELANDTHEWASTELAND

Mar 30 14 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Brian Diaz wrote:
After a couple of them, I stopped watching Darren Aronofsky films because I was always disappointed that they weren't Pi.

I was the other way around..  I saw Requiem and hated pretty much every frame of it.

Then I watched Pi and almost smashed my television.

Never wanted anything to do with Aronofsky after that.

Saw the trailers for the Fountain.. looked interesting but not enough to make me forget the previous movies.  Never got around to seeing it.

Saw the trailers for the Wrestler.. didn't look like much but people whose opinions I trust thought I might like it.. never got around to watching it though

Saw the trailers for Black Swan.  Didn't look like anything that would interest me.  Never got around to watching it.

Now with Noah the source material is uninteresting to me.  The look of what the movie is doesn't interest me and after reading the talk about what he's trying to do / done I'm less inclined to care.

If they ever get around to putting The fountain or the wrestler on netflix I'd probably watch them but that's about the extent of the effort I'm willing to put into his work.  It takes me a year to see the movies that *I* make.. it takes something special to make want to see something someone else makes.

Mar 30 14 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

GH-Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Went an saw it last night,

Wow, so who knew that Noah was really just a prequel to Transformers...

Mar 30 14 03:32 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Saw it tonight. Brilliant. Not layered, heavy symbolism, amazing acting. Just a really really solid movie. I loved it.

After watching Russell Crowe, I don't know who could have played Noah other than Crowe. Amazing symbolism and the end of the story sums up the small sliver of optimism I have in humanity in a nutshell for me.

he's very good at doing that. Telling stories of tortured characters and showing humanity's plight with life and death/good and evil. He fell short of nothing but brilliance.

Mar 30 14 05:49 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
After a couple of them, I stopped watching Darren Aronofsky films because I was always disappointed that they weren't Pi.

Same thing happened to Wes Anderson.  I kept being disappointed that none of his other films were Rushmore.

I'm sure I'll get over that in time, but it's really awful when someone makes a truly brilliant piece of art, and that spoils all the other very good pieces of art that person makes for me.

But maybe I won't get over it.  I still want every T.S. Eliot poem to be Prufrock.

Totally TOTALLY understandable. For me, Pi is my least favorite but I know why. I also understand why Pi is everyone's favorite as well.

Noah is damn good. The Fountain is still my favorite. I can't wait to buy this soundtrack. It fit like a missing puzzle piece to the entire film.

Mar 30 14 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

GH-Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Saw it tonight. Brilliant. Not layered, heavy symbolism, amazing acting. Just a really really solid movie. I loved it.

After watching Russell Crowe, I don't know who could have played Noah other than Crowe. Amazing symbolism and the end of the story sums up the small sliver of optimism I have in humanity in a nutshell for me.

he's very good at doing that. Telling stories of tortured characters and showing humanity's plight with life and death/good and evil. He fell short of nothing but brilliance.

I will give you that, I said to the person i was with it should at least win for Best Sound. And the acting was solid. I dug the third act. And the time-lapse creation scene was brilliant. I just cant understand why they have to put transformers in everything now...

Mar 30 14 06:26 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

GH-Photography wrote:

I will give you that, I said to the person i was with it should at least win for Best Sound. And the acting was solid. I dug the third act. And the time-lapse creation scene was brilliant. I just cant understand why they have to put transformers in everything now...

Because the average audience doesn't believe that a passive mystical creature helped them warding off bad people is sufficient. Even though this tale never happened it is a telling of humanity and 'god'. I'm not the director, but you'd need something more convincing than that. Probably the reason critics are saying he is waffling between an epic action movie and his typical film actually.

I get what you're saying I just didn't see it as the point of the movie or distraction. Just some sort of larger symbolism.
I saw a man walk out of the movie 3/4 of the way in and I wondered why. I've never seen that before.

Mar 30 14 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

udor wrote:
No different with the work of fiction that Noah is based on!

10/10 big_smile

Mar 30 14 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

SPRINGHEEL  wrote:

Thats so odd that you say that because I was thinking the same thing about this thread last night as well...

AND I DIDN'T EVEN SEE THIS THREAD UNTIL THIS MORNING

I live on three different planes of existence full of symbolism and metaphor.

You people wouldn't understand.

10/10

Mar 30 14 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
Looks like its going to flop.

Worldwide boxoffice gross is up to 95 million already.  With the usual follow-up cable market and videos, they should do OK.

Mar 30 14 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
As an atheist I think it odd that the adaptation of Noah was so radically different than the biblical message. Assuming that the story of Noah and the ark is true (which I do not believe it to be personally) then why would you have someone make such a massive change to the story? What purpose does it serve unless it's just pure arrogance of the director and writers. From what I understand, the message behind the movie couldn't be more distant from the original story if it were a pixar film about a family building a space ship to go to Jupiter.

The director/writer, I hear, is an atheist and apparently very proud of his work on this movie.

Mar 31 14 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Model Sarah wrote:
If someone actually bothered to think then they would really enjoy it. It's one of the greatest films I've ever watched. It is also incredibly beautiful. Clint Mansell's work with the soundtrack was amazing. People want to entertained too much and not every movie is like that.

This is pretty dismissive of other people's feelings.

Why can't someone just...well...not like it?

People the past few months are practically shitting on themselves over how awesome Gravity is.  I don't know about you, but I think it should have been an hour special on TV with 15 of those minutes being commercials.

Beautiful movie...but just too for what it was about.

There IS some truth that what you said though.  First time I saw Pulp Fiction...I didn't like it.  In fact, I recall leaving the theater disappointed.  But I have NO IDEA WHY!!  Maybe I was tired. Maybe I was cranky. I have no idea.  But I really enjoy that movie now.  Go figure!

Mar 31 14 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Christopher Hartman wrote:
The director/writer, I hear, is an atheist and apparently very proud of his work on this movie.

For real? That's does kinda surprise me. I kinda thought he was a non-practicing Jew, because of all of the references to Judaism/Jewish mysticism in his work (it's a major plot point in Pi, there's quite a bit in The Fountain, and, of course, The Book of Genesis *is* Jewish scripture first and foremost).

Mar 31 14 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

kickfight wrote:

For real? That's does kinda surprise me. I kinda thought he was a non-practicing Jew, because of all of the references to Judaism/Jewish mysticism in his work (it's a major plot point in Pi, there's quite a bit in The Fountain, and, of course, The Book of Genesis *is* Jewish scripture first and foremost).

maybe it's bullshit Facebook stuff...let me see if I can find something...

Mar 31 14 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

wow...I may have fallen victim to Facebook rumor bullshit!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ … story.html

Mar 31 14 01:41 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

This is pretty dismissive of other people's feelings.

Why can't someone just...well...not like it?

People the past few months are practically shitting on themselves over how awesome Gravity is.  I don't know about you, but I think it should have been an hour special on TV with 15 of those minutes being commercials.

Beautiful movie...but just too for what it was about.

There IS some truth that what you said though.  First time I saw Pulp Fiction...I didn't like it.  In fact, I recall leaving the theater disappointed.  But I have NO IDEA WHY!!  Maybe I was tired. Maybe I was cranky. I have no idea.  But I really enjoy that movie now.  Go figure!

I can see how that reads as dismissive but as I was saying to the other woman here (first being it wasn't directed AT her) that isn't what I meant. I just find this happens SO often and it is bothersome. I realize we live in the entertainment capital of the world, but does everything have to be that way all the time? I guess, I get it just not ALL the time you know? I remember talking to a friend who I watched The Road with. I admit, even with some of the eclectic stuff I watch, that was a hard movie to watch for various reasons. He said; "I'd rather watch a movie to escape." I completely get that, but all the time? I like to watch things that make me think most of the time. I really enjoy that. Dissecting movies afterward that have greater meanings is really awesome to me. My boyfriend and I did that with Noah the other night and it really makes me feel elated as a person. It used to drive my boyfriend nuts that I don't like the Beatles but he realized it isn't because I don't respect them for what they did for music and I don't recognize they are a group of amazing talent, because I do. The reason is just that I don't like their music and never have.

Man, Pulp Fiction is a fantastic movie. Sometimes you have to revisit stuff later on. My boyfriend watched Brazil when he was a kid with his parents and said he hated it but as an adult it is probably his favorite movie. It's just nice to revisit things.

I have not seen Gravity yet. I don't like Sandra Bulluck as an actress so that might be why. I loved Neil deGrasse Tyson's tweets on it though. That cracked me up. I'll get around to seeing it but I imagine I'll probably have the same view you do or something similar because that is how I felt about it when I saw the trailer. But again, gotta give it a chance!

Mar 31 14 02:11 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

kickfight wrote:

He's a not practicing Jewish man. He actually said he knew people were going to come out and say that when this movie was being made.

Mar 31 14 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Model Sarah wrote:

I can see how that reads as dismissive but as I was saying to the other woman here (first being it wasn't directed AT her) that isn't what I meant. I just find this happens SO often and it is bothersome. I realize we live in the entertainment capital of the world, but does everything have to be that way all the time? I guess, I get it just not ALL the time you know? I remember talking to a friend who I watched The Road with. I admit, even with some of the eclectic stuff I watch, that was a hard movie to watch for various reasons. He said; "I'd rather watch a movie to escape." I completely get that, but all the time? I like to watch things that make me think most of the time. I really enjoy that. Dissecting movies afterward that have greater meanings is really awesome to me. My boyfriend and I did that with Noah the other night and it really makes me feel elated as a person.

Man, Pulp Fiction is a fantastic movie. Sometimes you have to revisit stuff later on. My boyfriend watched Brazil when he was a kid with his parents and said he hated it but as an adult it is probably his favorite movie. It's just nice to revisit things.

I have not seen Gravity yet. I don't like Sandra Bulluck as an actress so that might be why. I loved Neil deGrasse Tyson's tweets on it though. That cracked me up. I'll get around to seeing it but I imagine I'll probably have the same view you do or something similar because that is how I felt about it when I saw the trailer. But again, gotta give it a chance!

I like a good story.  Whether it's true or fiction.  but when it comes to non-fiction, I'm more critical.

I'm fascinated by the history of the Titanic. for example.  And i do not mind the liberties James Cameron took to inject a fictional story into a real life event.

But, I took great exception to Blood and Steel

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1695366/

I got so engrossed into the story that I started to look up the "characters" because I wanted to find out more of their history...oh...wait...sorry...they made up the main characters.  Ok ok...James Cameron did the same thing...except, that in his story, the main characters really had nothing to do with the Titanic itself.  But in Blood and Steel, the main character is the chief metallurgist that is making claims to the quality of the steel being used, etc, blah blah blah.  In my opinion, you just don't do that kind of shit.  James Cameron's Titanic was not rewriting history.  I feel Blood and Steel was rewrite of history and NOT taking artistic license.

I'm usually interested in a good bible story.  Though, oddly enough, I have never seen the Passion of Christ.

Mar 31 14 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

wow...I may have fallen victim to Facebook rumor bullshit!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ … story.html

Don't give it a second thought, Christopher. Totally understandable considering the circumstances. After all, googling his name brings up a whole mess of articles (including a bunch of purely reactionary articles from Christian sources) which erroneously refer to him as "self-professed atheist director" or "atheist director".

Clearly, the bullshit mill is operating at maximum churn. hmm

Model Sarah wrote:
He's a not practicing Jewish man.

A far-better phrasing than mine. Yes, that indeed seems to be the case.

Model Sarah wrote:
He actually said he knew people were going to come out and say that when this movie was being made.

Ah, the internetz. roll

Though, oddly enough, I have never seen the Passion of Christ.

It's an amazing film, in that the commitment to depicting one of the most grueling experiences ever conceived, in all of its lurid detail, is absolutely unwavering. It's both obsessive genius *and* obsessive madness. I respect it because I am utterly repelled by much of it, which, I think, is the whole point. It's a freakin' endurance exercise. neutral

Mar 31 14 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

I have a friend who is a recent Christian and I think she's far too quick to believe in misinformation.  I linked her to the LA times and Washington Post articles about the movie and they make no mention of atheism and the things he says about the movie...well, he talks about GOD!  And God wiping out everything...it just doesn't...well...doesn't like like an atheist to me.  I still don't understand why an atheist would even WANT do a religious movie unless it was a comedy poking fun at it.

But she'd have nothing to do with it and was posting links to blogs, etc.

Mar 31 14 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

I still don't understand why an atheist would even WANT do a religious movie unless it was a comedy poking fun at it.

To make money?

Mar 31 14 03:05 pm Link