Photographer

WITTWITT

South Elgin, Illinois, US

Hello all,
I understand that tattoos are a very popular thing, however, if you are going to cover yourselves in artwork, please edit your profile.

Before the haters come out to give their biting comments:
I do not hate tattoos.  I don't care if you have them.  I just wish that search engines gave results that are correct.  That can only be done with some effort on all of our parts.

It may be N/A for you that you have tattoos, but it may be an issue for the photographer.

If you have them be proud of them and list yourself as one of the increasing many that adorn themselves with this form of art.

On behalf of future search results,
Thank you.

Jun 06 14 12:15 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

The tattoo stat question on the left side of the profile is a fairly recent addition. Keep that in mind. Perhaps this would be better suited to the newbie section?

Jun 06 14 12:21 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

WITTWITT wrote:
Hello all,
I understand that tattoos are a very popular thing, however, if you are going to cover yourselves in artwork, please edit your profile.

I do not hate tattoos.  I don't care if you have them.  I just wish that search engines gave results that are correct.  That can only be done with some effort on all of our parts.

It may be N/A for you that you have tattoos, but it may be an issue for the photographer.

If you have them be proud of them and list yourself as one of the increasing many that adorn themselves with this form of art.

Thank you.

M'kaaay

Jun 06 14 03:37 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

It's a new addition to the stat feature. Some people probably still haven't realized it's there.

Jun 06 14 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Giuseppe Luzio

New York, New York, US

So i cant be a 5'8" female russian model 30x28x32 without piercings or tattoos in a search? I was told i could be anything i wanted! wink

Jun 06 14 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Giuseppe Luzio

New York, New York, US

Isis22 wrote:
The tattoo stat question on the left side of the profile is a fairly recent addition. Keep that in mind. Perhaps this would be better suited to the newbie section?

Lol he got newb'ed

Jun 06 14 03:57 pm Link

Model

Leena Elizabeth

Riverside, California, US

That was actually kinda helpful, thanks. I had no idea that function was there. Now hopefully I don't lose work when I fix my info..

Jun 06 14 04:08 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

What I don't find helpful is that I'm supposed to figure out if my tattoos fall into 'some' or 'many'. It really isn't very clear. hmm

Jun 08 14 02:57 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

P I X I E wrote:
What I don't find helpful is that I'm supposed to figure out if my tattoos fall into 'some' or 'many'. It really isn't very clear. hmm

Yeah, that's problematic. Same with my piercing, which can 100% be hidden with no trade. I chose none.

Jun 08 14 03:01 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

Yeah, that's problematic. Same with my piercing, which can 100% be hidden with no trade. I chose none.

What if it's only one small tattoo on your ankle? It's not 'none', but it's not really 'some' either. Ya know?

Jun 08 14 03:04 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

P I X I E wrote:
What if it's only one small tattoo on your ankle? It's not 'none', but it's not really 'some' either. Ya know?

Seriously. I don't know why they didn't consider this.

Edit: In my previous post, I meant trace, not trade.

Jun 08 14 03:35 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

I pointed this out in the Site Related forum (in the thread specifically about it), but the mods didn't take any notice to it. hmm

Jun 08 14 03:41 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

P I X I E wrote:

I pointed this out in the Site Related forum (in the thread specifically about it), but the mods didn't take any notice to it. hmm

Unsurprising.

Jun 08 14 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

I get the feeling they discount a great deal of the feedback they receive, simply does not agree with their preconceptions and/or whatever they've already decided they want to do.

P I X I E wrote:

They notice, but if it comes from the people they hate, it is pretty quickly dismissed. 

After all, if the goal was about creating the best site possible, we would not recognize this place.

For the OP... the tattoo statistic is a fairly recent development, and as implemented, there was nothing (that I am aware of) to make a huge effort to get that field be populated, but like so many data fields on this site, you can't really rely upon them.

Jun 08 14 04:05 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I know, and it is a damn shame. I used to be a VIP... They'll never ever get a single penny from me.

Jun 08 14 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Yes, all of these caveats were brought up before this new feature was added.  Other more serious problems are still unresolved.

Jun 08 14 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jun 13 14 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I didn't know that she had tattoos until she exposed them.   smile

18+
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 8873ba.jpg

Jun 14 14 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

A programmer with half a brain could spend 5 minutes and realize that you need concrete easily definable categories. It comes back to the experience category which is meaningless as well.

An ankle tattoo is very different from a sleeve.  A searcher needs to know where and how big. A tattoo on the but is not going to matter in a head shot.

1. none
2. small and easily obscured
3. some (e.g. 2-5)
etc

Then you would have to have a location list (select all that apply)
e.g. foot, shin, thigh, torso (front - back), arm, neck, face.

With piercings it would be easier since most piercings have a name or specific location.

Professionalism is dead the world is ruled by hobbyists.

Jun 14 14 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

An easier thing is for models just to have photos in their port where the tattoos or lack there of is clearly visible.

Jun 14 14 10:31 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Filles de Pin-up wrote:
An easier thing is for models just to have photos in their port where the tattoos or lack there of is clearly visible.

but... but... that would necessitate a photographer actually doing something (other than complaining) - they would have to actually LOOK at the model's port!

Unheard of!! - Unthinkable!! - Totally Ridiculous!!

Jun 14 14 11:50 am Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

Filles de Pin-up wrote:
A programmer with half a brain could spend 5 minutes and realize that you need concrete easily definable categories. It comes back to the experience category which is meaningless as well.

An ankle tattoo is very different from a sleeve.  A searcher needs to know where and how big. A tattoo on the but is not going to matter in a head shot.

1. none
2. small and easily obscured
3. some (e.g. 2-5)
etc

Then you would have to have a location list (select all that apply)
e.g. foot, shin, thigh, torso (front - back), arm, neck, face.

With piercings it would be easier since most piercings have a name or specific location.

Professionalism is dead the world is ruled by hobbyists.

This would have been awesome.

Also, OP: I had a full and detailed list of my tattoos/piercings in my profile. My portfolio shows all of these tattoos and piercings. I have my piercing/tattoo boxes ticked as some and many, respectively... people still got mad at me for showing up and having them.

Jun 15 14 11:48 am Link

Model

MartaBrixton

London, England, United Kingdom

I've got 7 but none of them are really huge, for me it's some, for someone would be many. It's not easy to measure this kind of things.

Jun 15 14 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

david durkee

Long Beach, California, US

OK, I'll be the A-hole. 

I don't come to MM as I don't shoot Glamour which seems to be the vast majority of models and shooters. No problem with that, it's just not what I do.  However when I run a search for a nude model with NO ink, NO steel and hopefully no silicone I get tons of results, most of which do not fit the search criteria.  If the search engine isn't going to come up with the correct results, why even have it at all?  It's a waste of time.  I'm not going to use dermablend or makeup and incur the cost of that from the makeup artist, nor will I spend hours on photoshop removing someone's doodle "that has significant meaning" from the photograph.  As a model you are a blank canvas.  No one in the art store wants a canvas that has graffiti on it, unless that is their style and that would be extremely rare. 

Same with age and measurements.  I just did a commercial shoot for an athletic accessory manufacturer and had to completely ignore MM.  Why?  The stylist wanted to know measurements for a wardrobe to change two or three looks on site.  The search on MM revealed that many models were 0"-0"-0" (REALLY??) or 32"-32"-32" (a fence post).  Having ACCURATE measurements, including height and other sizes (shoes, gloves hats) is necessary to ensure that we (the lowly photographer) have the proper information to pass on to the stylist.  The stylist will still have to use clips and such to trim things up, but 0"-0"-0" ISN'T going to help.  If I'm searching for a model between 35-40, having your age be 99 isn't going to get you noticed or get you work.  We use these search criteria to find someone who fits a JOB REQUIREMENT.

These numbers and search fields aren't about ego, self-image or your political message, it's about the business of preparing properly for a shoot.

OK, I have my asbestos underwear on, flame away about my port (hasn't been touched in years and I don't care) my ignorance of body art (it's still a ridiculous fad) and my lack of photographic skills.  Those posts will be ignored.

But if you think I'm wrong about my last statement: "These numbers and search fields aren't about ego, self-image or your political message, it's about the business of preparing properly for a shoot."  - I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Jul 22 14 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

JoJo wrote:
but... but... that would necessitate a photographer actually doing something (other than complaining) - they would have to actually LOOK at the model's port!

I have to agree with JoJo on this one....LOL

Jul 22 14 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

J Haggerty

Augusta, Georgia, US

For the person who's doing the casting - photographer, designer, whom ever - take the time to check the images and look at images with skin showing where you plan the skin to show in your own photo (models, this is one of the reason swim suit Polaroids are so helpful). A quick message to the model asking if they have ink or a detailed concept inquiry should list "If you have tattoos, they need to be covered before you get to the set" and you'll get your answer. Need a spot on, always right model profile? Go to an agency.

Personally, I like tattoos and I think they're rad. I don't often shoot to show tattoos and I tend to look for models without tattoos but, believe it or not, most models will cover their ink if you request. I've only had one model try to avoid (we didn't end up shooting together) and another model I was interested in clearly stated on her profile (yes, I read those) that she has tattoos and won't cover them.

5 min of research and prep work could save you hours of agonizing worry and 15 message exchanges.

Jul 23 14 11:31 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

WITTWITT wrote:
Hello all,

Thank you.

It would be nice if the site could have their technical staff query the database for all of the models that are still active, but have "N/A" selected (or other non-completed data points) and send them a PM asking/suggesting they update their profiles.

It can't be that difficult to run a query on the database, but it would require a little effort being put forth trying to improve the site.

Jul 23 14 11:40 am Link

Photographer

david durkee

Long Beach, California, US

JoJo wrote:

I still don't think you get it.  It isn't that we don't look at a model's port.  We do.  But if you are in the biz of trying to cast for a specific type of job and you enter a lot of search criteria which should narrow it down to 100 or so nationally and you end up with 3,000, NO ONE is going to look through them all unless they have nothing to do.  Even if it does narrow it down to 100 or so, I'm not going to go through every photo just to see if there is something my client or myself object to.  It's simple.  Make a complete profile with as much information as possible that is searchable.  Some people may want what you have others may not.  But it's about reducing the results to those that are close to save time.

We aren't lazy.  Some of us have better things to do than look at all the pretty pictures of people that don't fit what we are looking for.

If the search engine is not capable of retrieving results that are even *close* to accurate, then it's not usable.

Jul 24 14 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

"n/a" in the "Tattoos" and "Piercing" fields means, to me, that there are tattoos and piercings.

I happen to prefer models without tattoos so if you don't have tattoos please update the field so I can find you.

Jul 24 14 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

JoJo wrote:

The search feature exists so we don't have to look at each individual profile. That is the purpose of the search feature.

Jul 24 14 08:05 am Link

Model

Rockabella

Bargara, Queensland, Australia

I understand the grievance. It would be nice if the search engine gave you what you wanted. For most girls who have them, they list their tattoos in their bio info (which many don't take the time to read *disapproving look*) Since the new feature was added, I updated it to some, but I'd rather it just had a numerical value. Those who have it at N/A probably haven't caught on yet. I can't speak for those who put in "none" and have them. Maybe they cover them up everyday with dermablend. Maybe they got them removed.

Jul 25 14 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Christian B Aragon

Sparks, Nevada, US

Fotticelli wrote:
"n/a" in the "Tattoos" and "Piercing" fields means, to me, that there are tattoos and piercings.

I happen to prefer models without tattoos so if you don't have tattoos please update the field so I can find you.

+1

Jul 25 14 09:52 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

When tattoos are done by a by a great artist the results could be marvelous
but when done by some one learning on the job...It could be a life time disaster.

Jul 27 14 08:03 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

david durkee wrote:
OK, I'll be the A-hole. 

I don't come to MM as I don't shoot Glamour which seems to be the vast majority of models and shooters. No problem with that, it's just not what I do.  However when I run a search for a nude model with NO ink, NO steel and hopefully no silicone I get tons of results, most of which do not fit the search criteria.  If the search engine isn't going to come up with the correct results, why even have it at all?  It's a waste of time.  I'm not going to use dermablend or makeup and incur the cost of that from the makeup artist, nor will I spend hours on photoshop removing someone's doodle "that has significant meaning" from the photograph.  As a model you are a blank canvas.  No one in the art store wants a canvas that has graffiti on it, unless that is their style and that would be extremely rare. 

Same with age and measurements.  I just did a commercial shoot for an athletic accessory manufacturer and had to completely ignore MM.  Why?  The stylist wanted to know measurements for a wardrobe to change two or three looks on site.  The search on MM revealed that many models were 0"-0"-0" (REALLY??) or 32"-32"-32" (a fence post).  Having ACCURATE measurements, including height and other sizes (shoes, gloves hats) is necessary to ensure that we (the lowly photographer) have the proper information to pass on to the stylist.  The stylist will still have to use clips and such to trim things up, but 0"-0"-0" ISN'T going to help.  If I'm searching for a model between 35-40, having your age be 99 isn't going to get you noticed or get you work.  We use these search criteria to find someone who fits a JOB REQUIREMENT.

These numbers and search fields aren't about ego, self-image or your political message, it's about the business of preparing properly for a shoot.

OK, I have my asbestos underwear on, flame away about my port (hasn't been touched in years and I don't care) my ignorance of body art (it's still a ridiculous fad) and my lack of photographic skills.  Those posts will be ignored.

But if you think I'm wrong about my last statement: "These numbers and search fields aren't about ego, self-image or your political message, it's about the business of preparing properly for a shoot."  - I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks for your input. Very valuable, especially the part about body art being a "ridiculous fad," you know, since tattooing and piercing hasn't been going on for thousands of years.

Jul 27 14 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Leenah  wrote:
That was actually kinda helpful, thanks. I had no idea that function was there. Now hopefully I don't lose work when I fix my info..

Ah cool, this is first. Glad you found out about this feature smile

Jul 27 14 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

WITTWITT wrote:
Hello all,

I am glad someone finally speaks up on that matter.

So many members and not one ever posted such a warning.

Although, it is my understanding that the "tattoo" feature in the description is a new addition and wasn't much publicized, so, the vast majority of models on MM with existing accounts don't even know about this check box.

I am glad you brought this up, because we really don't have enough tattoo threads.

Btw., it's an old post but: How to get (temporarily) rid of a TATTOO:

Jul 30 14 06:34 am Link

Model

Zelohney Moss

Brooklyn, New York, US

I think I should try putting none in that section

Sep 27 14 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

I must admit, I am no fan of tattoos on models. I really dislike them, and I really dislike extensive tattoos, and especially those that appear to be associated with violence.

For those who have them, blue ink is totally ugly on human skin. It is opposite on the color wheel, which means it has the strongest contrast, and actually looks the worst.

The trend towards getting tattoos that are script.......is absolutely the worst of all, as anything like that, in a photo, makes people pay more attention to what the tattoo says, than to the image.

Anyone who wants to model, and gets tattoos, is hurting their career, before they even begin.

Sep 28 14 05:51 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

david durkee wrote:
...  As a model you are a blank canvas.  No one in the art store wants a canvas that has graffiti on it, unless that is their style and that would be extremely rare. 

Hearing this just never gets tiring to me, not sure why. wink
Jen

Sep 28 14 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

Thanks for your input. Very valuable, especially the part about body art being a "ridiculous fad," you know, since tattooing and piercing hasn't been going on for thousands of years.

That may be, but you didn't see tattoos on women anywhere near like you do today, in the 80's even.

Sep 28 14 05:52 pm Link