Forums > Model Colloquy > The ultimate gwc

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Why in the world would you cooperate with such a ludicrous request ?
Why more than once ?

Why is it so ludicrous a request?  For instance, if a person is meeting someone in a public place, isn't it better to know what they look like? What if there are 100 people there who all have DSLRs? Should the model have to approach 99 people before they find the right one? If someone you didn't know asked you on some website to meet them in person and, when you asked them for a picture they said no, would that send up red flags for you?

It would for me. I don't know how a person (me, in this case) is supposed to know who cares about what a photographer looks like in terms of height, weight, skin color, hair style, etc etc by reading their profile (if it's not in there) and it doesn't seem like something that would come up in conversation (hey ... do you care that I'm a dark skinned, heavy, balding guy who is almost 6 feet tall and drive a large SUV?) pre shoot.

Apparently there are more than one person who cares about these things on this website. Oh well ...

Jun 24 14 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

lynne g wrote:
Have you ever had a photog troll you on this site, ask you out, and then end up being a real douche? Local guy yes! Ok, ok, I'm sure everyone has... Well it outta be ok for outting those types of people. Just saying. End of vent. Not anyone in my port. They were all great

This raises an interesting question in my mind.  I wonder what percentage of models have dated a total douche who wasn't a photographer?

Jun 24 14 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

R I K

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Lovely Day Media wrote:
After at least 20 texts, they asked me for a picture of me so they could "see who they were talking with". I sent them a picture. Now they say they won't shoot with me because I don't look good enough.  This has happened more than once.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2012 … ng-you.jpg

Jun 25 14 01:43 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

lynne g wrote:

really??? I AM a photographer, doh! And I stated the multiple photogs in my port have all been cool to work with. I just think people shouldn't be messaging you on a networking board unless they want to chat art or set up a shoot. To use this as a primary source of scoring dates is not cool IMO. If it is secondary to your work, I'm ok w tht.

So how many times has this happened to you?  Is this a fear you have? It just seems that you brought up a topic you felt was a big issue, but in fact may not be. I am fun but all business when I shoot. Instead of focussing on male photographers, understand that this happens between models female photographers and straight male models.

Jun 25 14 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

R  I  K  wrote:
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2012 … ng-you.jpg

If it matters, I never claimed to be one of the all time greatest looking guys. On the list of top looking guys that goes from 1- 1,000,000,000 ... I might not even make the list. That said, I wasn't looking to marry, talk about marrying, date, talk about dating, have sex or talk about having sex. I was looking to do a photoshoot.

They answered my casting calls and asked for more details. I gave them all the information I had at the time. I find that the first step to having a decent shoot is getting the model to relax and sometimes that can happen in the preshoot conversation. After all the questions, etc, then I find out my skin is too dark (among other things).

I'm thinking ... if it's that important to them that they not shoot with someone who looks a particular way, they should ask these things first. It certainly would've saved a lot of time and energy.

Jun 25 14 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

lynne g wrote:

really??? I AM a photographer, doh! And I stated the multiple photogs in my port have all been cool to work with. I just think people shouldn't be messaging you on a networking board unless they want to chat art or set up a shoot. To use this as a primary source of scoring dates is not cool IMO. If it is secondary to your work, I'm ok w tht.

How you doin'? big_smile

Jun 25 14 09:16 am Link

Model

lynne g

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
So how many times has this happened to you?  Is this a fear you have? It just seems that you brought up a topic you felt was a big issue, but in fact may not be. I am fun but all business when I shoot. Instead of focussing on male photographers, understand that this happens between models female photographers and straight male models.

not in a while. Like I said I've had very positive experiences, and many decent interactions even if I haven't shot with other people. Just recently, like two people "found" me, and admitted they didn't really have interest in photography and expressed interest in other things. Maybe it's as another model suggested, because I'm older. And then it happened again and I just find it annoying.

If someone contacted me via a dating sight I'd  have that expectation. But this isn't one. Most of the guys I've shot with have been happily married. Some haven't been. But they've still contacted me to take pics.

Jun 25 14 09:32 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Isaiah Brink wrote:

This raises an interesting question in my mind.  I wonder what percentage of models have dated a total douche who wasn't a photographer?

I've never dated a total douche, not that I can recall anyway.

Jun 25 14 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Isaiah Brink wrote:

My concern is that she is now blaming the guy's douchiness on him being a photographer. If you forge that he is a photog and she is model, it sounds like a guy asking a girl out and it not working out.

Also, the guy did not try anything during a shoot. He was just a guy, asking a girl out, at a work situation. She agreed to, so there must have been a mutual attraction, even if just a little, but enough for her to say, "Yes.".

Whether he is a douche, partly only or a total douche, has nothing to do with him being a photographer.

Jun 25 14 11:12 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

What if the douche was incredibly good looking and rich, with a yacht and mansion.

Jun 25 14 11:14 am Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

WIP wrote:
What if the douche was incredibly good looking and rich, with a yacht and mansion.

That wouldn't make any difference to me whatsoever.  A douche is a douche............

I would rather date an average looking janitor who was a decent gentleman.

Jun 25 14 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've asked models out before. Some say yes, some say no. I don't think I've ever photographed a model I find unattractive so why wouldn't I? If we're vibing we're vibing...and I'll admit sometimes I misinterpret the vibe! Some of the ones who've said no I've worked with again after with nary an awkward moment. If it's after the shoot has wrapped, I personally don't see a problem with it.

I've had one model who I'd began conversing with for a shoot idea, wound up meeting pre-shoot, went on a few dates...and never ended up photographing her haha (she lost interest in modelling...and me apparently! Still on friendly terms though smile )

Jun 25 14 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

WIP wrote:

if
rich has yacht and mansion

he got a right to be a douche

Jun 25 14 05:49 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

r T p wrote:

if

Nope.

Jun 25 14 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Nope, it's never happened to me.  sad

I don't understand. You went out with this guy and he turned out to be a douche.  Ummmm that's why you date, to find out if this person is a douche or not. If not you keep dating.  What's the problem? Am I missing something......

Step away from the computer and find something to do. big_smile

Jun 25 14 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

What if the guy trolled you, you went out and he turned out to not be a douche?
Would it be OK then?

Mark C Smith wrote:
I've asked models out before. Some say yes, some say no. I don't think I've ever photographed a model I find unattractive so why wouldn't I? <snippies>

If I were much younger I might entertain the thought of asking some of the models out on a date, but I wouldn't think of it now.  I'd scare them away permanently.  I prefer being able to take nice pictures with them.  Don't want to ruin a good thing.

Jun 25 14 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

R I K

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Lovely Day Media wrote:
If it matters, I never claimed to be one of the all time greatest looking guys. On the list of top looking guys that goes from 1- 1,000,000,000 ... I might not even make the list. That said, I wasn't looking to marry, talk about marrying, date, talk about dating, have sex or talk about having sex. I was looking to do a photoshoot.

They answered my casting calls and asked for more details. I gave them all the information I had at the time. I find that the first step to having a decent shoot is getting the model to relax and sometimes that can happen in the preshoot conversation. After all the questions, etc, then I find out my skin is too dark (among other things).

I'm thinking ... if it's that important to them that they not shoot with someone who looks a particular way, they should ask these things first. It certainly would've saved a lot of time and energy.

Apologies if I have insulted you with my attempt at humour.

People can take stuff waaaayyy too seriously at times and I'd take a guess that this may be more of the problem and less of the solution than they realise.

Anyhoo, in a general sense, it does matter what you look like. Especially in an industry where people must respond to how you look and conduct yourself.
I'm not saying there aren't any successful photographers who are less than attractive, but if they're also a little awkward, defensive and or creepy, things will be harder for them.
This goes for so many professions without saying, nobody in their right mind would purchase a property from some dude who's unshaven, dressed in track pants while driving his Pinto around to meet clients.
Just like I wouldn't go see a doctor with filthy fingernails and/or bad teeth.
I hope you can see where I'm going with this... sadly, people WILL judge you by how you look.
Perhaps a better dress code will help? I don't know, I've never met you, but all I'm saying is, you need to make the most of what you've got.
All the best.

Jun 25 14 06:23 pm Link

Model

DAISYMAE TN

Jonesborough, Tennessee, US

Um, no.
I did have a photographer send me a "PICTURE" ( below the belt) of himself VIA text.
Long story short- I didn't work with him.

Photographers and models can be pretty sketchy. This is a site for people to network and create art, or it *SHOULD BE*, anyway. That being said, if anyone shows any unprofessional behavior ( including, but not limited to the situation  you describe) I would definitely pass !

Jun 25 14 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

r T p wrote:
if rich has yacht and mansion

Isis22 wrote:
Nope.

now
if richard had only yacht OR mansion
then no he got no right to be a douche

but since he got both yacht AND mansion
then yup he got right to be a douche

Jun 25 14 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

You can be convicted violent felony douche and women will come running
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=926722
SMH

Jun 25 14 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

R  I  K  wrote:
Anyhoo, in a general sense, it does matter what you look like. Especially in an industry where people must respond to how you look and conduct yourself.
I'm not saying there aren't any successful photographers who are less than attractive, but if they're also a little awkward, defensive and or creepy, things will be harder for them.
This goes for so many professions without saying, nobody in their right mind would purchase a property from some dude who's unshaven, dressed in track pants while driving his Pinto around to meet clients.
Just like I wouldn't go see a doctor with filthy fingernails and/or bad teeth.
I hope you can see where I'm going with this... sadly, people WILL judge you by how you look.
Perhaps a better dress code will help? I don't know, I've never met you, but all I'm saying is, you need to make the most of what you've got.
All the best.

In a general sense it does matter what a person looks like. I agree. If a person has bad teeth, how would they ever get them fixed if they didn't see a doctor (dentist)? Would a person trust a doctor or a chef that had dirty fingernails? I'd say probably not.  These things matter.

If a doctor comes highly touted and recommended by people you trust and you go, but when you step in the office you discover that he looks different than you do (he has a different skin color), does that really matter? For some people it does. Is it right? That's up to the individual to decide.

In this case, I placed a casting call. They had the opportunity to read my profile and look at my portfolio. If there were something that raised a red flag for them, it's fine .... don't reply.  They replied, though. So we get involved in a conversation. They ask a billion and one questions via text so fast that I can't answer all of them (I'm not a champion texter). Any answer they didn't like could or should cancel the shoot and it would be okay. They "love my work" and "are looking forward to shooting" ... until they ask for a picture and get it.

The picture I sent was me at my sister's wedding. Since my father died a long time ago, I drew the responsibility of walking her down the aisle. I wore a black tuxedo. The model got a picture of me wearing that tuxedo. Suddenly she disappears, never to be heard from again. Better dress code? Maybe, but I think I'd need a "better" skin color if I wanted to work with her.

Jun 25 14 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS

Pomona, California, US

lynne g wrote:
Have you ever had a photog troll you on this site, ask you out, and then end up being a real douche? Local guy yes! Ok, ok, I'm sure everyone has... Well it outta be ok for outting those types of people. Just saying. End of vent. Not anyone in my port. They were all great

If he asked you out through this site.
You should contact a moderator,  its stuff like that, that a lot of people will say
why model mayhem is bad and say stay away from..
Screws up everything for this site and professional photographers and makes models scared.......

Jun 26 14 10:29 am Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
You can be convicted violent felony douche and women will come running
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=926722
SMH

Well yeah if you're beautiful. Otherwise no one gives a damn

Jun 26 14 10:31 am Link

Model

Figuremodel001

Chicago, Illinois, US

Actually, no.

Me, either.

Jun 27 14 01:40 pm Link

Model

Figuremodel001

Chicago, Illinois, US

Actually, no.

Me, either.

Jun 27 14 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Francisco Castro wrote:

My concern is that she is now blaming the guy's douchiness on him being a photographer. If you forge that he is a photog and she is model, it sounds like a guy asking a girl out and it not working out.

Also, the guy did not try anything during a shoot. He was just a guy, asking a girl out, at a work situation. She agreed to, so there must have been a mutual attraction, even if just a little, but enough for her to say, "Yes.".

Whether he is a douche, partly only or a total douche, has nothing to do with him being a photographer.

My main point behind that post was to actually show that most women date total jerks and assholes who aren't photographers anyways and the fact that what they call a douchbag who's a photographer asks them out should actually be refreshing, the lesser of many evils.  But, women these days won't admit to dating any jerks right?

Jun 27 14 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

TKPhotos

Kenosha, Wisconsin, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

There are more.

Yep <---. Back in 2007, a few days after I had delivered photos to my then pre-wife from our shoot together, she began sending me kinda flirty texts - I responded in kind. Fast forward a few months and we moved in together. In 2012 we got married, and things have been pretty grand ever since.

The funny thing is, I had spend years in horrible relationships, and had given up on the thought of getting married or even being seriously involved with anyone, and before I even realized what happened, wham!

Jun 27 14 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

r T p wrote:

if

Isis22 wrote:
Nope.

Agreed.
Someone owning things, doesnt give them the right to be an asshat ( DOUCHE)

Jun 27 14 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Julian W I L D E

Portland, Oregon, US

With just a modicum of experience you'll be able to spot them a mile off.  And you'll Never have to worry about them again.  ;-)

Jun 27 14 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

Amelia Fae wrote:
The only people who ask me on dates here are the male models, really.

I see this a lot in the tags....male models saying "we ought to work together" or "I'd like to work with you" kind of comments.

I know of one local "model" that would arrange couple shoots (in various states of undress) and found his own personal "photographer" to lend legitimacy to his exploits.  His MM account is now closed.

Jun 28 14 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Giuseppe Luzio

New York, New York, US

lynne g wrote:

everything was fine til after the date?

Jun 28 14 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

lynne g wrote:

I have never been trolled/stalked by a photographer.
None has asked me out (I am very thankful for that).
Since they ended up being a douche, that implies you accepted the request and went on a date, I presume. Now you want to dish dirt about your bad date in the forums? Not exactly helpful.

No it shouldn't be OK for outing in the forums. They are a enough of a mess with all the attacks on photographers. Models have been mad and said bad things about me to other models in their click simply because I didn't want to pay them $100/hr. So do we really need another male photographers are pervert stalkers thread, especially ones where people are attacking someone personally?

This just drives anyone of quality to run as fast as they can away from this site, perpetuating the problems. It has really gone down hill since I joined a few years ago.

I also find it odd that a female photographer setup a model account, and bashes male photographers in the model forum. Is this the new version of the white knight? Don't work with creepy male photographers, they might ask you out. Come work with me, I'm a girl so less likely to ask you out and be a douche.

Jun 29 14 01:19 am Link

Model

lynne g

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Filles de Pin-up wrote:
I have never been trolled/stalked by a photographer.
None has asked me out (I am very thankful for that).
Since they ended up being a douche, that implies you accepted the request and went on a date, I presume. Now you want to dish dirt about your bad date in the forums? Not exactly helpful.

No it shouldn't be OK for outing in the forums. They are a enough of a mess with all the attacks on photographers. Models have been mad and said bad things about me to other models in their click simply because I didn't want to pay them $100/hr. So do we really need another male photographers are pervert stalkers thread, especially ones where people are attacking someone personally?

This just drives anyone of quality to run as fast as they can away from this site, perpetuating the problems. It has really gone down hill since I joined a few years ago.

I also find it odd that a female photographer setup a model account, and bashes male photographers in the model forum. Is this the new version of the white knight? Don't work with creepy male photographers, they might ask you out. Come work with me, I'm a girl so less likely to ask you out and be a douche.

That's an odd conclusion... No, I don't shoot models persay. Years ago I came on here to for a particular project, but it's not really my thing. So don't worry... I'm not trying to poach models... If you would like to know why I decided to explore the otherwise of the camera feel free to read my page or ask me.

And this is a generalized point that more then one person, who has limited interest in photography, in my geographic location anyway, has used a networking site just to ask women out. I notice that most posters have only read my initial  post, and when posting haven't realized that I've answered to the contrary several points they've made in subsequent posts.

I think if a persons first contact doesn't pertain to art, then they probably should not be on here

Jun 29 14 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Hawrylyshyn

Mesa, Arizona, US

Wait, you were contacted on a public site by someone out of a population of 320 million people that turned out to be a douche?! This is the interwebs, people use it for all sorts of deviant behavior. Do you also trust everyone you contact on Craigslist?

Now if you're asking the question if it's alright for photographers to use this site to date, that's a different question.

Jul 05 14 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

GeorgeMercado

Pembroke Pines, Florida, US

I shoot because I LOVE to shoot, not because I want to attain love from a shoot. Its horn dogs like that which paint a bad picture for the rest of the guys.

Jul 05 14 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Demeter Photography

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

lynne g wrote:

Problem with outing is its a one-sided statement lacking fact.  Its not productive and in the very very litigious United States of America, MM doesn't want the legal hassles of slander, defamation, etc lawsuits, so alas the no outing rule.

Its actually really smart if you think it through to conclusion.

Jul 05 14 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

L2Photography net

University City, Missouri, US

lynne g wrote:

Have you met anyone in a bar thats not a photog troll and is a real douche too?
L2

Jul 05 14 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Amul La La

London, England, United Kingdom

lynne g wrote:

Cause and effect.

Jul 06 14 01:07 am Link

Photographer

GeM Photographic

Racine, Wisconsin, US

he has a law firm -

https://www.gwclaw.com/gwclaw.piadvertising1.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/frequently-asked-questions-gwc-law-300x225.jpg

Jul 06 14 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

WildEye Studio

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Maybe it should be ok to out models who flake or decide to offer their body as payment instead of cash at the end of a shoot?  Where will it all end?

Jul 06 14 07:44 pm Link