Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > golden gate bridge "jumper net" approved.

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

http://news.yahoo.com/golden-gate-bridg … 11743.html

i have no idea what passes for sb material anymore, but i'll try this one out to see if it gets through. i'm just looking for opinions, without them drifting into a political argument.

on its face, this is just dumb (imho). i can't even think of any good reason for this. does anyone think that this will quell suicides? of course not. this is an emotional reaction to the amounts of suicides that have taken place at the ggb.

supposedly, it will save the coast guard a lot of resources that they have to use for retrieving jumpers. a quick run of the numbers will show that it would take quite a few thwarted rescues to add up to the cost of this net.

not only that, but i can only imagine how many jamokes are going to suddenly think it's cool--or funny--to dive into the net. i wonder how many resources there will be needed to pluck these types from the netting.

people--unfortunately/sadly--get to the desperate point where they think suicide is their only way out. there isn't a public works solution in that. it's a mental health problem.

i can understand how marin county, and san francisco are tired of sharing the dubious fact that the ggb is the most sought out place for people to end their lives, but this appears to be a complete waste of local, state and federal dollars.

again, i could mention the political end of it, and the story related specifically to the dude in sf that has spearheaded this campaign, but i'd rather just attempt to keep it at a philosophical level. 

and yes, i've seen "the bridge", the documentary about one year's worth of suicides from jumping off the bridge. it doesn't alter my feelings on this particular subject.

Jun 27 14 01:31 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I've been reading about it too and yes, I've seen 'The Bridge' as well, a few times in fact.

I don't like that they are putting nets up AT ALL.
I went to school in San Fran and lived there 4 years.

I will say however, people that want to die will figure out another way to do it.

Falling that far into water is like jumping off a building anyway.

Ever do a belly flop?
Ever get pummeled by a BIG wave?

Water is powerful.

Remember that jumper in the documentary that jumped and lived?  Yeah, that has to hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADxUFAD6eBU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwYKs6ssYQI

Jun 27 14 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

If people want to kill themselves they will find a way or a place.  This money would be better spent on Mental Health and Intervention programs.

Jun 27 14 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Jules NYC wrote:
Remember that jumper in the documentary that jumped and lived?  Yeah, that has to hurt.

yeah, and i remember the injuries he sustained from surviving. i knew (before what he said) that his spine was going to have taken the worst of it. i had a feeling the t section would be the worst, but he also sustained l fractures. i fell off a ladder years ago from about 25' up, and it compressed a few vertebrae. and shattered my heel as well.

not trying to compare, i'm just saying that i'm sure his injuries must have been severe. i think they only showed him sitting in the movie. i wonder if he can walk without aid. and he landed pretty much the only way you could survive that fall...feet/ass first.

Jun 27 14 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Stephen Fletcher wrote:
If people want to kill themselves they will find a way or a place.  This money would be better spent on Mental Health and Intervention programs.

all true. again, i think sf is just tired of having the stigma attached to the bridge.

i think they should embrace it. maybe have an endless loop of tunes like "free falling", or "learning to fly" playing on the deck 24/7/365.

i'm kidding, of course...

it's (the net) just a bad idea, and not even a band-aid, in the grand scheme of things.

Jun 27 14 01:52 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/jbilotta/Julie/BeginningofGG.jpg

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/jbilotta/Julie/downsized_1017101528.jpg

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/jbilotta/CrisisSign.jpg

Jun 27 14 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Then you'll see the true colors of SF gov't hacks as the people realize they'd rather have a few dead floating bodies than their precious bridge looking stupid.

Jun 27 14 01:57 pm Link

Jun 27 14 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

They'll just take a pair of shears, jump into the net and cut their way through.

Jun 27 14 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Christopher Hartman wrote:
They'll just take a pair of shears, jump into the net and cut their way through.

a. the proposed netting is calling out for stainless steel mesh. hardly anything that a common pair of shears will get through.

b. i seriously doubt that a suicidal person is going to--as their last act--embark on a "bob the builder" project.

when sf is dealing with hundreds of bozos a year getting caught in this netting (as a prank, undoubtedly filming it for youtube), maybe then they'll realize how dumb an idea this was.

Jun 27 14 02:06 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

One of my friends climbed the bridge to the top... at night with his mountain climbing gear.

Man, I had some dare-devil friends.

Jun 27 14 02:08 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

lol

This band got rights to shoot on top.
You'll get an idea how high it is...

http://youtu.be/4gAsPT-vgeM?t=2m21s

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/jbilotta/HighonFrisco.jpg

Jun 27 14 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Jules NYC wrote:
One of my friends climbed the bridge to the top... at night with his mountain climbing gear.

Man, I had some dare-devil friends.

piker. what good would crampons, carabiners and a pick axe do you on that climb? lol

you can just walk up the main cables, using the support wires for stabilization. tongue

Jun 27 14 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

GK photo wrote:
you can just walk up the main cables, using the support wires for stabilization. tongue

I hereby nominate the word "just" in this sentence for "understatement of the year 2014". I found it a rather thrilling experience just to cross the bridge by foot on the sidewalk.

Jun 27 14 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

TomFRohwer wrote:
I hereby nominate the word "just" in this sentence for "understatement of the year 2014". I found it a rather thrilling experience just to cross the bridge by foot on the sidewalk.

it would be a lot easier than these chinese logger's ascent. all you have to do is gain access to the main cables. from there, it's just a walk upstairs, more or less. tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-5K4RmC9gE

Jun 27 14 03:44 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Fuck no would I ever 'climb' up the Golden Gate bridge lol

This guy came to my apartment at Ocean Beach like it was nothing...
"So what did you do last night?"

Oh, I scaled the GG.

ok then!

lol

Jun 27 14 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Jules NYC wrote:
lol

This band got rights to shoot on top.
You'll get an idea how high it is...

http://youtu.be/4gAsPT-vgeM?t=2m21s

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/jbilotta/HighonFrisco.jpg

I feel dizzy sitting in my chair.

Jun 27 14 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Christopher Hartman wrote:
I feel dizzy sitting in my chair.

it's funny, i have zero fear of heights, in a situation where i'm anchored to terra firma. now, jumping out of a plane? no fucking way. the height wouldn't bother me; it's that falling thing.

i'd sit atop one of those towers all day long. the view would be breathtaking.

there's some other video of guys climbing radio towers to do maintenance. i'd do that shit in a heartbeat. they are tethered in, so falling is not a consideration.

it's funny (to me) to see people practically puke when they're looking down from bridge spans, or tall buildings. you aren't going to fall, people! lol

i'd gladly climb a structure that is over 1000 feet tall, but you couldn't pay me to jump from it with a parachute on.

Jun 27 14 04:03 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

GK photo wrote:

it's funny, i have zero fear of heights, in a situation where i'm anchored to terra firma. now, jumping out of a plane? no fucking way. the height wouldn't bother me; it's that falling thing.

i'd sit atop one of those towers all day long. the view would be breathtaking.

there's some other video of guys climbing radio towers to do maintenance. i'd do that shit in a heartbeat. they are tethered in, so falling is not a consideration.

it's funny (to me) to see people practically puke when they're looking down from bridge spans, or tall buildings. you aren't going to fall, people! lol

i'd gladly climb a structure that is over 1000 feet tall, but you couldn't pay me to jump from it with a parachute on.

I would jump out of a plane and sit on top of the GG but not climb it.

Jun 27 14 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

That high up...it is like landing on Concrete.  Over 1600 people have committed suicide off the Golden Gate Bridge.

Jun 27 14 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Jules NYC wrote:
https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/jbilotta/CrisisSign.jpg

Ok... but...
Then what are they supposed to do? Search on their iPhone for the crisis intervention hotline number?

Jun 27 14 04:33 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:

Ok... but...
Then what are they supposed to do? Search on their iPhone for the crisis intervention hotline number?

... because there is a telephone right there to call?

*not pictured in the photo I took

I used to walk the bridge almost every day.

Jun 27 14 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

There should be a rotating video of "its a wonderful life" on the bridge.

Jun 27 14 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan Hall

San Francisco, California, US

Stephen Fletcher wrote:
If people want to kill themselves they will find a way or a place.

This just isn't true. People reconsider suicide all the time. People who have attempted suicide will tell you that they have to work themselves up for it, and if they miss an opportunity it can take a long time before they're ready to do it again, and a lot can and does happen in that time.

That said, I'd rather they used the money somewhere else.

Jun 27 14 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

$76 million dollars for a steel net, wonder how many people die when the hit the net . . .

I say, follow the money, guaranteed this has nothing to do with "preventing" suicides from the GGB, but it sounds good.

Jun 27 14 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I wonder how long until the first lawsuit is filed claiming damages from landing in the net...

Jun 27 14 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Leo Howard wrote:
$76 million dollars for a steel net, wonder how many people die when the hit the net . . .

I say, follow the money, guaranteed this has nothing to do with "preventing" suicides from the GGB, but it sounds good.

well, it does, and it doesn't. again, i didn't want this discussion to drift into politics; but if you read the story, there's a direct connection to the person who spearheaded the campaign, and his insistence on it being done.

again, i get it. if i were a muckety muck in sf, i'd hate to have to hang a "world's # 1 place to commit suicide" plaque at the entrance to the ggb, but this is just not any form of solution to a mental health issue. it's more pr than anything else.

and i believe--i may be wrong--that far more people are talked/pulled off the ggb every year, than those who actually go over. i would think that placing more full time cops on the bridge would do a better job at curtailing these unfortunate incidents, at far less cost to everyone who will inevitably be footing the bill for this.

Jay  Edwards wrote:
I wonder how long until the first lawsuit is filed claiming damages from landing in the net...

8 to 5 within 24 hours of the ribbon cutting. and that's the exact kind of slippery slope this will invariably go down.

Jun 27 14 05:44 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

The one person that really got to me in 'The Bridge' was Gene.

When he jumped it was a beautiful backwards Swan dive, the nicest I've ever seen.

http://youtu.be/vhARXu3wWDc?t=44m56s

Of course I'm not saying suicide is beautiful yet I mean it in the aesthetic & philosophical sense.

Jun 27 14 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Jay  Edwards wrote:

OR the Residents:  These Nets are blocking my view of Golden Gate Bridge. Or Photographers: These Nets are destroying the beauty of Golden Gate Bridge.

Jun 27 14 06:28 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

It's going to take three years to install so I wonder how many are going to take a dive before they can't.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/gol … cti/ngRGm/

Jun 27 14 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Glad to hear that all of us are contributing $40 million to this worthwhile cause. Wonder how many bridges that are in need of repair could be fixed for $76 million, glad that the highway trust fund is so flush.

So next time there is a bridge collapse and someone dies we can all be thankful that some person that wanted to die was saved...unless he had a plan B.

Jun 27 14 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

What does God Need with a Star Ship?

Then after they jump, and the net saves them. What then? Can they not just go to the end of the Net and Jump? Ok....back to normal.

Jun 27 14 06:42 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Published 2/14.

... nearly half (48 percent) of suicide attempt patients reported that the time elapsed from their first thought of suicide to the actual attempt was a mere 10 minutes. Make following through just a little bit harder, and many people will have the time to think twice. In fact, if you take away the means for suicide just once, most people will never try again.

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health- … mic-74801/

Jun 27 14 06:46 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
Then after they jump, and the net saves them. What then? Can they not just go to the end of the Net and Jump? Ok....back to normal.

That's a good question.

https://g4.psychcentral.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/golden-gate-bridge-net-system-suicide-funding.jpg

https://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/kgo/images/cms/76117_1280x720.jpg

Jun 27 14 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
What does God Need with a Star Ship?

in the design specs, they claim the jumper would actually become ensnared in the net, like a tuna. i'd love to see that system fail once. and i could imagine the cost of retrieving these folks would be close to what the coast guard has to shell out now in retrieving those who've jumped in.

and by those renderings, i'd imagine it wouldn't take too much of a leap to clear the netting anyway.

Jun 27 14 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Thats gonna look super shitty when its full of garbage.
I wouldnt want to be the person that has to pick up all the trash that blows / people throw into it.

Also, how will they get people out? but stop others from climbing in for fun?

Jun 27 14 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
Thats gonna look super shitty when its full of garbage.
I wouldnt want to be the person that has to pick up all the trash that blows / people throw into it.

Also, how will they get people out? but stop others from climbing in for fun?

a. true
b. nor would i.
c. they haven't really addressed that.
d. that's what this will become. a giant attraction for delta bravos, out looking to get on youtube.

going forward, someone with half a brain is going to have to step in and rein this all back in. it's just stupid.

Jun 27 14 07:04 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

So the netting will be sturdy but flexible enough that one could not get up and walk to the edge?

Like how a hammock operates?

Jun 27 14 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

also another thought, that net (based on the image) is AT LEAST 45 feet below the deck.
motherfuckers are going to wish they were dead after they hit a
stainless steel net from that height. theyre going to look like a human waffle.

i guess "already dead" or "broken bones" is the answer to what
will stop them from crawling over the edge after a jump.

why not just make the railing higher? idiots.
put the damn net vertical along the side, not horizontal 50 feet below.

Jun 27 14 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

ok last thought, whats wrong with letting people kill themselves?
if you have ever been stuck in traffic on that bridge, you
would wish there were less people commuting there too.

why not just make a designated parking spot for jumpers? so
they wont just stop and get out and block traffic, or take up
spots at the tourist turn out?

or better yet maybe just make a lane that drives right off the bridge?

ahh, im a cold hearted bastard.
i kid, i kid! wink

https://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss20/xpuffystaticx/SuicideBooth-Futurama.gif

Jun 27 14 07:21 pm Link