Forums > Photography Talk > You're going to either love this or hate this.

Photographer

AG_Boston

Boston, Massachusetts, US

December 7, 2015.

I'm pretty encouraged by my last shoot and my most recent tests. I've got the LED strobe to output gobs and gobs of power. I'm now in the process of writing legal paperwork to protect my IP. It took a lot of work to figure out how to get this thing to light a decent scene. Here is a photo I took with a single LED photo strobe:
https://flic.kr/p/BdZTKY

Once I can legally use "patent pending" for my design, I'll start showing it to other photographers and doing demos. Then I'll mount a Kickstarter.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
October 27, 2015 edits:
I've had zero time to work on this and finally got back on it. I've been able to increase my output power by doing a number of things. This involved adding LEDs, creating a reflector, re-writing code and modifying power electronics. The two photos in the links below were taken of a camera from 10' away. All earlier photos were taken at distances between 3" and 3'. I'm now close to achieving the same light output as my Canon 420ex speedlite at 10'. With some additional modifications, I think I'll surpass the 420ex and will start to reach the light output of a Canon 600ex. I'm hoping to get this wrapped up by Thanksgiving and say for sure if this thing will work or not work well enough. This is dependent on parts arriving, which have been out of stock for a few months.

Dim photo with camera set at ISO200, f/8, 1/100s
https://flic.kr/p/zm6mAu

Brighter photo with camera set at ISO400, f/5.6, 1/100s
https://flic.kr/p/AfPRgS

If you have a sincere interest in seeing this project succeed and want to mess with the latest RAW files, message me your email address.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
*May 21, 2015 edits:
I noticed a large number of people were still clicking on my macro link. I'm adding a link to my "people sized" LED flash photos:
https://flic.kr/p/sFAmXg
https://flic.kr/p/sDgj2N

The flash duration of the LED flash has also been changed since I last uploaded the two photos above. I reprogrammed the microcontroller I'm using to send a 10ms pulse to the LED instead of a 200ms. Per Rutquist gave me some good feedback on this. Now I'm just waiting to find a local model to do more test shots with.

I'll also try to update this only once/week. I felt like I was starting to spam the photography talk section. If any of you want regular updates or want to provide more input, then please feel free to do so here or message me.

________________________________________________________________________________________________
*Original message.
For the last few months I've been looking at ways to come up with an LED flash. I spent a good amount of time looking at "high power" white LED modules from various manufacturers, LED lenses, reflectors, and whatever else you can imagine.

So I finally settled on first doing a macro flash. As of now it consists of one 1W LED and is fired using some sync from a camera with a sync jack, or a remote like a Pocket Wizard. I'm using 4 D size cells (6VDC total), and the sync ports end up experiencing less than 6VDC, which is far below the safe threshold of many cameras.

To test the single LED flash, I used an older Canon 40d, 50mm prime f/1.8 lens, Manfrotto tripod, some cheaper than cheap macro lens adapter (screws onto 50mm lens), Canon remote, manual focusing, and my LED flash. I varied the shutter speed from 2s, on up to 1/320s.

The results so far have been surprising. I am able to manually set the camera to flash white balance, and get a pretty accurate photo. The LED flash hits pretty quick, and definitely brightens up photos. Since it's a more efficient light than a xenon tube, it recycles amazingly fast. I was able to get it to recycle and fire off 6.5 shots at a shutter speed of 1/250. Kept up no problem.

Where are the sample photos you ask? Still uploading to my Flickr. There are many of them. I'm hoping to get this project to the point where I'll be able to do at least headshots by the end of the month.

Photos coming as soon as my Flickr is done taking them in.

*added link to photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/arturo-go … 474250925/

The first ten photos are taken in ambient lighting conditions, and NO flash was present. All others were taken with the flash. Exif data was not removed from the photo files.

Please offer any input on your thoughts for this.

Happy viewing.

Jul 01 14 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

If you can get this to work, speed lights might be in trouble. smile

Jul 02 14 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Lovely Day Media wrote:
If you can get this to work, speed lights might be in trouble. smile

That's one of the hopes. I'd like to leave my slow recycling speedlites at home. The downside is this thing may be really expensive. An LED to generate 47W is close to $20.00. I paid close to $600 for my Canon 600EX. I'd probably have to charge at least half of that.

Jul 02 14 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

I guess it's all about the Benjamins!!:-))))

Jul 02 14 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Random Image

Pocatello, Idaho, US

I have been wondering why someone hasn't done this already.  Go the Buff route and design a flash with built in battery and radio popper, a true all in one unite, and I would be standing in line to give you my money.

Jul 02 14 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

GER Photography wrote:
I guess it's all about the Benjamins!!:-))))

big_smile

I was having a hard time finding something to shoot. I don't have many small, interesting things. If you think of something you want to see photographed with it, post it and I'll try to make it happen. Any sample is a good learning experience.

Jul 02 14 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Random Image wrote:
I have been wondering why someone hasn't done this already.  Go the Buff route and design a flash with built in battery and radio popper, a true all in one unite, and I would be standing in line to give you my money.

Oh, it hasn't been done because it's a pain in the ass. The LED Light Cube guys had to delay manufacturing and delivery several times, and for several months. They were first due to ship in November, then it got pushed, and pushed, and pushed. So far, no delivery:
http://www.ledlightcube.com/
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- … filmmakers

LED light tends to be very directional. If you have time, do this: Get an LED glowing, a bright LED, and look at it straight on (if you can). It will be bright as anything. Then, look at it perpendicular to its lens. The light will be much weaker. Now, do the same thing with an incandescent you'd put into a flashlight. It will be almost equal power from both head on, and perpendicular. The bulb comes close to being a true "point source". The LED, not so much.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if I'd want a power source built in. It is definitely an attractable offering, but adds weight to the strobe. Maybe offering a user option would be best. Use it or use and external supply.

I'm with you on the radio triggering. Something I've definitely looked into. It's not hard to do. I'd have to research applicable laws with regards to transmitting sync pulses.

Jul 02 14 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

AG_Boston wrote:
That's one of the hopes. I'd like to leave my slow recycling speedlites at home. The downside is this thing may be really expensive. An LED to generate 47W is close to $20.00. I paid close to $600 for my Canon 600EX. I'd probably have to charge at least half of that.

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me ... charging a person $300 for a $20 LED? If you needed 15 of them, it would eat the whole $300 but that would mean a person would be carrying a 705W "speed light". I don't know how that compares to a currently available speed light, but it seems pretty powerful to me.

If the equipment was smaller and/or lighter (no pun intended), used less battery power AND was half the price (plus or minus a few bucks), I don't see why they wouldn't sell.

Jul 02 14 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Random Image

Pocatello, Idaho, US

Just me thinking aloud, but why not reverse the aiming of the led backwards into a reflector, like a tiny strobe and umbrella.  If done right should provide plenty of scattering.

Jul 02 14 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Random Image wrote:

I have never seen such a thing from PCB however you should get in line for the Profoto B1 then, it's been out and it's impressive.

Jul 02 14 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Lovely Day Media wrote:
That sounds like a pretty good deal to me ... charging a person $300 for a $20 LED? If you needed 15 of them, it would eat the whole $300 but that would mean a person would be carrying a 705W "speed light". I don't know how that compares to a currently available speed light, but it seems pretty powerful to me.

If the equipment was smaller and/or lighter (no pun intended), used less battery power AND was half the price (plus or minus a few bucks), I don't see why they wouldn't sell.

HA! That $20 is just the LED. The LED still needs drive electronics, some way to dissipate its heat (typically done with chunks and shapes of aluminum, think $$$), a trigger circuit to talk with the camera, housing for the electronics, someone to manufacture the parts, and someone to assemble the parts... $20.00 went away a loooong time ago. I'll get more into this the more I work on this. The plan is still it to try and shoot at least a human face with some variant of the system by the end of this month.

Jul 02 14 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Random Image wrote:
Just me thinking aloud, but why not reverse the aiming of the led backwards into a reflector, like a tiny strobe and umbrella.  If done right should provide plenty of scattering.

That was one of my earlier attempts. It did follow the magnification equation for a concave mirror, and I ended up with baseball sized light spots. This was using a large metal kitchen mixing bowl, a pot lid, and a highly polished aluminum can bottom. They did a great job of focusing light, and didn't do anything useful for what I'm trying. They ended up doing just this:
http://www.meritnation.com/img/shared/d … 987347.png

Jul 02 14 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

AJScalzitti wrote:

I have never seen such a thing from PCB however you should get in line for the Profoto B1 then, it's been out and it's impressive.

I briefly considered buying something like that a year or so back. They're nice. The cost is so amazingly high though.

Jul 02 14 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Please give it a built in meter that works based on distance, not reflectance.

Jul 03 14 07:11 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

AG_Boston wrote:
I briefly considered buying something like that a year or so back. They're nice. The cost is so amazingly high though.

Hard to justify if you don't use/need an all in portable strobe often enough.

Jul 03 14 07:15 am Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Mikey McMichaels wrote:
Please give it a built in meter that works based on distance, not reflectance.

I've wondered about stuff like this. I use my strobes and flashes in manual mode. I have tried making use of TTL. Most of the time TTL seems to want to do things I don't want it to do. Are automated metering functions something you make a lot of use of?

Jul 04 14 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

AJScalzitti wrote:

Hard to justify if you don't use/need an all in portable strobe often enough.

I tend to use my strobes rather often. In the end my thought was: "Lots of lower priced strobes can be purchased, and put into many more places.". So that's how I went about it. Having a kickass 500Ws strobes would still be amazing though...although not at the cost of $2k.

Jul 04 14 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

I get what you're trying to do.  But what I don't get is the application.

I have strobes for photography and LED panel lights for video production.

What is so terrible about a Xenon tube that troubles you?  The recycle time?  Well, what is your Ws output of the LED?  I would bet you dollars to donuts that my (or any) speedlight recycles just fine at the lower Ws of your build.

So unless you can manufacture these things for under $100, I don't see the application.

Not when you can get this for under $80.
http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Professio … ds=yongnuo

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Anb%2B4NQRL._SY450_.jpg

And if we're talking purely macro applications, Yongnuo has that covered too.  And for a ridiculously reasonable $40.

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-MR-58-Pen … ring+flash

Jul 04 14 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Good Egg Productions wrote:

I have strobes for photography and LED panel lights for video production.

What is so terrible about a Xenon tube that troubles you?  The recycle time?  Well, what is your Ws output of the LED?  I would bet you dollars to donuts that my (or any) speedlight recycles just fine at the lower Ws of your build.

So unless you can manufacture these things for under $100, I don't see the application.

Not when you can get this for under $80.
http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Professio … ds=yongnuo

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Anb%2B4NQRL._SY450_.jpg

And if we're talking purely macro applications, Yongnuo has that covered too.  And for a ridiculously reasonable $40.

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-MR-58-Pen … ring+flash

What I'm trying to do is come up with a bigger system. I'd like to be able to produce a smaller LED based device which is capable of competing with my gas tube 200Ws strobes. In the end, I'd like my 200Ws LED strobe to be about the size of a roll or toilet paper (that opens me up for all kinds of ridicule), instead of the size of an adult sized shoe box. Not only do I want it to be smaller, but also lighter. The recycling time of speedlights (when I can't use my strobes) is probably the biggest problem I have with them. My Canon 600 has a limit on the number of successive shots which may be fired before heat damage becomes a concern. As far as I know, this is a problem with all speedlights. Of course I don't know of anyone who hits their flashes that hard, it is a problem though. My LED flash as it is now is capable of going beyond the 48 shots my Canon flash can do. I don't know what the YongNuo can do before throwing a temperature warning. They make a mention of being able to support 8fps with the flash set at 1/8 power or below.

My first problem was trying to realize if an LED would work being fired as a strobe. This is why I went with a macro setup. I don't plan on building up a marketable macro ring light. I'm working on getting a small setup firing correctly, then scaling up the entire design.

I haven't built up a light measuring circuit just yet. So I don't know how much light my macro flash supplies. If LED droop doesn't become an issue, then I may overdrive the daylights out of it and attempt to get more than its rated output of 1W. I'm not entirely sure how photography suppliers do this measurement. I plan on putting a photodiode at several points in proximity to the LED flash, picking this up with my oscilloscope, then taking the integral of the area under the curve which is drawn by my photodiode. This will give me time in seconds, amplitude in volts and I'll have the scale factor for the photodiode telling me how much current it produces per unit of light measured.

In the end I'd like to achieve:
smaller package
lighter weight
faster recycling
wireless connectivity
water resistant housing
sync speeds up to 1/8000s
eliminate the need for external color gels
external power input

Jul 04 14 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

AG_Boston wrote:

I've wondered about stuff like this. I use my strobes and flashes in manual mode. I have tried making use of TTL. Most of the time TTL seems to want to do things I don't want it to do. Are automated metering functions something you make a lot of use of?

It depends on which flash I'm using and whether I'm moving or still.

Jul 05 14 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

My main use for a flash is outdoors for fill light on portraits. Several times a month, I have a gig where I shoot folks outside, usually in the shade but sometimes backlit. I need a flash that will automatically handle the various situations, do TTL metering and keep up with my shooting. My Nikon SB800 does a pretty good job. If you can make a flash that will do all of that for less money, you'll do OK.

Jul 05 14 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Mikey McMichaels wrote:

It depends on which flash I'm using and whether I'm moving or still.

I've started looking into this and have an idea of how I might be able to do it rather easily. It won't be until at least next week that I'll be able to try it. I'll update you if I figure it out.

Jul 09 14 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Michael McGowan wrote:
My main use for a flash is outdoors for fill light on portraits. Several times a month, I have a gig where I shoot folks outside, usually in the shade but sometimes backlit. I need a flash that will automatically handle the various situations, do TTL metering and keep up with my shooting. My Nikon SB800 does a pretty good job. If you can make a flash that will do all of that for less money, you'll do OK.

How many SB800s do you typically use?

Side note: A guy I work with was given and SB800 by his dad. It apparently burned some of its guts. I get to check it out this week. I'm kind of excited about seeing a smoked SB800. It's older and certainly lived its life to the fullest.

Jul 09 14 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

So it took me a while to finally build something. What I ended up with was a ~40W LED running at around 20Ws. This is currently run at 45V with a 22mF capacitor (yes, that's 22,000uF), an MSP430 and Pocket Wizard X remote to fire the whole thing. Today I did a test shoot with a model from MM and here are my results:

May 10 15 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Al Green XM

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

Gotta love innovation

May 11 15 12:08 am Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

The problem is to minimize the thermal resistance between the LED and a giant heat sink so that the LED can be used in a flash mode without nuking itself.  So far nobody has come up with a great solution, on the other hand I haven't seen any really good approaches.  I think that this is possible if someone really attacks the problem with the proper technical resources, both modeling and processing.  We need at least a 10X improvement over CW (continuous wave), so far I think the LED lights that flash are at about 4X.

May 11 15 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Per R

Freiburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

This is very interesting. What is the flash duration at 20 Ws ?

May 11 15 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

AG_Boston wrote:

How many SB800s do you typically use?

Side note: A guy I work with was given and SB800 by his dad. It apparently burned some of its guts. I get to check it out this week. I'm kind of excited about seeing a smoked SB800. It's older and certainly lived its life to the fullest.

Sorry not to get back sooner. I only use one for this because the job entails multiple locations and minimal setup.

My SB800s ... yes, I have several ... all seem to be operating OK. But I'm an old photojournalist, and I never count on a camera or flash to work. Always be prepared with a backup.

May 11 15 12:56 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

AG_Boston wrote:

Which are the Exif for that images?

Since the efficiency of a Led varies inversely with its optical output power:
LED's efficiency exceeds 100%
do you think you coud do a test using a grid of led with lower power output for see if the result remain good?

Also, depending on the diffuser used, it should be possible to maximize the amount of the output light, with a proper position of the grid.

May 11 15 01:42 am Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Personality Imaging wrote:
The problem is to minimize the thermal resistance between the LED and a giant heat sink so that the LED can be used in a flash mode without nuking itself.  So far nobody has come up with a great solution, on the other hand I haven't seen any really good approaches.  I think that this is possible if someone really attacks the problem with the proper technical resources, both modeling and processing.  We need at least a 10X improvement over CW (continuous wave), so far I think the LED lights that flash are at about 4X.

Ah! The thermal issue becomes less so when you're operating the led as I was. The led I'm messing with is rated to run at 37VDC. I'm overdriving it at 45VDC with no heatsink. The flash duration I'm using is 200ms (0.2 seconds) which is fast enough to avoid excessive heating of the led silicon die.

Now if I run the led as a continuous source then I will need a heatsink and possibly forced convection to avoid damaging the led.

It might also be noted that I was able to do several shots in rapid succession with minimal recycling time and very little heating of the led silicon die. I'll try to get some of those burst shots up online.

May 11 15 06:19 am Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Per Rutquist wrote:
This is very interesting. What is the flash duration at 20 Ws ?

In these photos the flash duration was 200ms. The microcontroller I'm using gives me the ability to make this longer or shorter.

May 11 15 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Per R

AG_Boston wrote:
In these photos the flash duration was 200ms.

The latency of the blink reflex is on the order of 100 ms. How many of the photos got ruined because the model blinked when the flash turned on?

Have you considered using LiPo batteries instead of a capacitor? That would give arbitrarily long flash duration, and zero recycling time.

May 12 15 01:29 am Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Maybe I'm missing something here but it looks like you are shooting macro.  If you put enough current through the LED to light up a scene at ten feet at f/8 and ISO 200 it seems like you are going to need a much better heat sink than anyone in the industry has come up with.    If you can do this you can definitely blow away everyone in the LED photo industry and I'm in line to buy one!

May 12 15 02:56 am Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Per Rutquist wrote:

The latency of the blink reflex is on the order of 100 ms. How many of the photos got ruined because the model blinked when the flash turned on?

Have you considered using LiPo batteries instead of a capacitor? That would give arbitrarily long flash duration, and zero recycling time.

You will be as surprised as I was at how few photos were ruined. She was actually stopping and posing between shots. So the only bad shots I ended up with were from the autofocus not having enough contrast to work.

The thought of using rechargeable batteries has occurred to me. I'm incredibly reluctant to get into charging batteries for a whole myriad of reasons.   Perhaps at some point I will. I designed a power supply which did make use of LiPo cells. They worked really well. At around 3.7VDC I'll need a battery of them to get near 45VDC.

I want to build a few of these eventually for other people to try out.  It will be a while from now though.

May 12 15 07:43 am Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

I can see an extremely versatile tool in there!

Imagine a light panel (AKA soft-box) with a two-setting remotely controlled switch. 

1 - Really bright constant lighting

2 - Moderately bright constant lighting (modeling light) that "flashes" to extremely high output (strobe) on input from the sync

I could light a set for video, then flip a switch that would give me faux-strobes for still photography - with the same color temperature and CRI in both cases!

Open up project in Kickstarter and I'll jump right in!!

May 12 15 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

alessandro2009 wrote:

Which are the Exif for that images?

Since the efficiency of a Led varies inversely with its optical output power:
LED's efficiency exceeds 100%
do you think you coud do a test using a grid of led with lower power output for see if the result remain good?

Also, depending on the diffuser used, it should be possible to maximize the amount of the output light, with a proper position of the grid.

So, the EXIF data won't be very impressive at all. The photos in the above links were shot on a Canon 40d with the 50mm f/1.8 lens, 1/160s exposure, 1000ISO and f/4.

I believe the paper linked above is also referenced in a few papers talking about LED droop (probably not the one below though):
http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors … -led-droop

Oddly enough, I don't own any grids.

May 12 15 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Personality Imaging wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something here but it looks like you are shooting macro.  If you put enough current through the LED to light up a scene at ten feet at f/8 and ISO 200 it seems like you are going to need a much better heat sink than anyone in the industry has come up with.    If you can do this you can definitely blow away everyone in the LED photo industry and I'm in line to buy one!

This did start out as a macro LED flash project. The initial idea was to do it on a small scale and move up to a human sized scale. Now I'm at the human sized scale. All of the photos of the $100 bill were to give me confidence in being able to sync and LED, controller and my camera's shutter. So all photos from here on out will be human sized unless stated otherwise.

10', f/8 and ISO200 are good goals. I think that's doable, but will take a bit of time. I'll need to get a bunch more LEDs and build a few more circuits. I also plan on putting an aluminum slug onto the back side of the LED to dissipate heat during burst shots. I only was able to do 6 shots/second. The LED did get warm and cooled down rather rapidly. The reason this is working is because I'm running the LED at a very small duty cycle. If this device were run in its current configuration at 100% duty it would become a nice former LED.

May 12 15 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

still-photography wrote:

I can see an extremely versatile tool in there!

Imagine a light panel (AKA soft-box) with a two-setting remotely controlled switch. 

1 - Really bright constant lighting

2 - Moderately bright constant lighting (modeling light) that "flashes" to extremely high output (strobe) on input from the sync

I could light a set for video, then flip a switch that would give me faux-strobes for still photography - with the same color temperature and CRI in both cases!

Open up project in Kickstarter and I'll jump right in!!

The constant light part can be done, but will definitely require a massive heatsink and possibly forced convection (a fan).

A KIckstarter? You're funny. It took me a year just to get time to do this part. Imagine how long my Kickstarter would last...just in time for retirement! WOOOO!!! I'm actually not sure what I'll do to get these sold once I feel they're ready. It may be a good six months of testing before I have enough confidence with regards to delivering a quality product.

May 12 15 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Michael McGowan wrote:

Sorry not to get back sooner. I only use one for this because the job entails multiple locations and minimal setup.

My SB800s ... yes, I have several ... all seem to be operating OK. But I'm an old photojournalist, and I never count on a camera or flash to work. Always be prepared with a backup.

I did a bunch of shots here in Boston with a speedlight on my Canon 5d. I used the 600 one they make. It was able to a few photos with a tiny aperture opening for about 50 shots, then started to take a long time to recycle. I've started experimenting with shooting outdoors with strobes and speedlights more. I'm liking the results so far. My LED I haven't tried outside as of yet. It may only be good for some fill flash at this point. Who knows though? I may get it to work much better in the next few months.

May 12 15 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Per R

AG_Boston wrote:
So, the EXIF data won't be very impressive at all. The photos in the above links were shot on a Canon 40d with the 50mm f/1.8 lens, 1/160s exposure, 1000ISO and f/4.

Wait, what? You're using a 1/160 s (6.3 ms) shutter speed with a 1/5 s (200 ms) strobe duration. This means that most of the flash output is wasted after the shutter has closed. Effectively you're probably getting less than 2 Ws - not 20.

Comparing to a normal speedlite you're at something like 1/32 power. At that level, the speedlite can probably shoot 10 frames per second for 50 frames before recycling time become an issue, so your LED doesn't have any advantage there.

Well, at least this explains why you did not have a problem with the model blinking.

May 13 15 04:27 am Link